blackshadow

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Team WADA
Another person I know is in ICU. His organs are failing due to not enough oxygen getting to them. And yes, he is on a ventilator. This guy was on the fence in regards to taking the vax.
Poor bugger.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call and make make at least one more person realise the risks they are putting themselves at if they don't vaccinate.

blackshadow

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Team WADA
So going from protesting at The Shrine to having one at Northcote Plaza/All Nations Park.
What next, opening act for a children’s puppet show?
The plaza is an icon!

Where else in Melbourne can you choose from two Coles in the one building?

Swallow_Wood

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So, Israel.

Fully vaxxed: 62%
One shot: 67%

Current active cases: 66,337 with 56% in school aged kids, most of whom are unvaccinated.
Mild condition: 99%
Serious or Critical (1%)

For context the country under the new prime minister has had little restriction of movement and interaction since March. Vaccinations ramped up during their second wave in January. During their second wave there were less cases on average than there currently is, however there were more deaths on average and more hospitalisations on average than there are now.

So with 62% full vaccination and very loose restrictions they currently have 710 serious to critical cases in the country. Apparently up to 60% of hospitalisations are vaccinated, however without being able to find the data the reporting is that these are mostly old or infirm people, susceptible to illness.

The UK has a higher vaccination rate around 66%, is averaging over 30,000 new cases a day and almost 200 deaths a day, with very few restrictions in place.

IN the wonderful land of highly intelligent and attractive people known as Ireland they have a vaccination rate of 74% fully and 77% single vaxxed, have been averaging over 1000 cases a day since July with 172 deaths since the end of July. Dudes there are back at the pub.

Forever North

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the hospitals become overwhelmed with covid 19 patients, what do you think should happen, lockdown and try and slow down the cases, or just stack them up on the footpaths outside the hospitals? Very hard job that all our leaders have.
Maybe increase the ICU capacity as Andrews promised last year(4000 beds?) to meet a potential disaster scenario…. ….but Andrews ‘can’t recall’ again saying such a thing…… just tried to worm his way out of it again the other day. How many of the 4000 beds are ready to go right now? Anyone know? Or is this another Andrews style creeping assumption.
Still if we’re still having massive cases, hospitalisations and deaths(I sincerely hope not) even at 80%+ double vax then we’re kind of screwed. But it doesn’t seem to be the case going by what’s happening overseas. Most in hospital and dying are unvaccinated. And as horrible as it sounds I’m not really prepared to do any more heavy lifting for those people that choose not to get vaccinated. Their body, their choice blah blah..

Horace

Premium Gold
Dec 2, 2001
Mitcham
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy
He is such a smug, bullying, condescending campaigner!
He is a useless individual at the best of times. I'm not sure a positive word has ever come out of his mouth. Mind you what hope did he have when his parents named him David? David Davis. What sort of parents do that to their kids? Mind you they could have called him Davis Davis, I suppose.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is a useless individual at the best of times. I'm not sure a positive word has ever come out of his mouth. Mind you what hope did he have when his parents named him David? David Davis. What sort of parents do that to their kids? Mind you they could have called him Davis Davis, I suppose.
Love your work Horace. As you well know I was talking about the other smug, bullying, condescending campaigner.

Davis is pretty much a non-entity.

Swallow_Wood

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was several months into the panic. There is no evidence of any agility and ability to rapidly scale. They wanted to bath in the political glory of a substantial increase in capacity but then didn't follow through. It's either cynical, incompetent, or both.
Our first case was early March. The announcement was on made on March 31st during a lockdown and during a significant daily rise through an unvaccinated populace. While I agree that making such an announcement can quite rightly be attributed to political gamesmanship I do think there was genuine panic at that stage, so it was probably a case of 'sh*t, we need to do something' and then milking that strategy for all it was worth. This was also at the same time that hospitals were modelling their potential ICU demand against projected numbers and where shitting their dacks. I know one hospital was preparing the set up an army style facility in their car park that would hold 250 ICU beds. This was also around the time of Italy, Spain, the US going batshit nuts in deaths and serious illness, so contextually such a call was understandable.

But then our numbers dropped, so it appears Dandrews dropped this promise pretty quickly as it looked like demand wasn't there. And it still isn't, but it might be. As I said, i will have a convo with someone who will know if there was any follow though on developing capacity. Will keep ya posted, might be a few weeks.

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep. Davis is a bit of a non-entity.

We live in a one-party state.
They’re all double speak forked tongued grandstanders. Can’t remember the last one I liked.

It’s as obvious as the nose on your face that we’re a one party state when the best candidate the Libs can come up with is Matthew Guy.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our first case was early March. The announcement was on made on March 31st during a lockdown and during a significant daily rise through an unvaccinated populace. While I agree that making such an announcement can quite rightly be attributed to political gamesmanship I do think there was genuine panic at that stage, so it was probably a case of 'sh*t, we need to do something' and then milking that strategy for all it was worth. This was also at the same time that hospitals were modelling their potential ICU demand against projected numbers and where shittign their dacks. I know one hospital was preparing the set up an army style facility in their car park that would hold 250 ICU beds.

But then our numbers dropped, so it appears Dandrews dropped this promise pretty quickly as it looked like demand wasn't there. And it still isn't, but it might be. As I said, i will have a convo with someone who will know if there was any follow though on developing capacity. Will keep ya posted, might be a few weeks.
We have lived with an airborne respiratory viral pandemic for the past 18 months. A surge in case numbers and therefore hospitalisations was always an outcome with a high probability of eventuating. What you are describing is either extreme hubris or a staggering lack of scenario planning. I would suggest both.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They’re all double speak forked tongued grandstanders. Can’t remember the last one I liked.

It’s as obvious as the nose on your face that we’re a one party state when the best candidate the Libs can come up with is Matthew Guy.
fu** me! If ever Matthew Guy is the answer you are clearly asking the wrong questions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swallow_Wood

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have lived with an airborne respiratory viral pandemic for the past 18 months. A surge in case numbers and therefore hospitalisations was always an outcome with a high probability of eventuating. What you are describing is either extreme hubris or a staggering lack of scenario planning. I would suggest both.
Well, no it isn't because there is a variable missing. And that is what plans were actually put in place once it was decided that the 4000 bed facility wasn't required. You are assuming that there is nothing prepared if things go south. Maybe you are right, and if so then that is a criminal lack of planning. If you are wrong and there are plans to activate and increase in ICU capacity then you are making incorrect assumptions. As I said, I will ask someone who will know what the plan is if things go bananas.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So the Poms are pretty much open at 65% vaccination rate and the NHS hasn’t collapsed
But we will still have restrictions at 80%.
State borders may still be closed. Ten people in one home etc etc.
I don’t get it.
I'm not sure the figures are apples with apples. Our 80% target is of the 16 and over population and I'm sure their 65% is of the whole population.

From what I have read when you take into account those that are vaccinated plus those that have recovered from Covid in the UK, about 94% of the adult population has immunity.

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So the Poms are pretty much open at 65% vaccination rate and the NHS hasn’t collapsed
I don’t get it.
And 90% vaxxed is pipe dream type stuff. They can’t hold out for that. I reckon more then 10% of the population are not going to get the vaccine because they’re anti vaxx or because of their religious faith.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well, no it isn't because there is a variable missing. And that is what plans were actually put in place once it was decided that the 4000 bed facility wasn't required. You are assuming that there is nothing prepared if things go south. Maybe you are right, and if so then that is a criminal lack of planning. If you are wrong and there are plans to activate and increase in ICU capacity then you are making incorrect assumptions. As I said, I will ask someone who will know what the plan is if things go bananas.
My sister works in the system and she tells me they are cancelling a wide range of procedures because of the stress that Covid has put on them now. She says there is no evidence that any new staff have been trained up for deployment to an ICU.

I know that you will find any reason you can to let this Government off the hook but there has been a woeful lack of action on that front.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Swallow_Wood

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t get it.
NHS is still kicking due to vaccinations reducing hospitalisations. They are operating at between 800 and 900 hospitalisations a day, 200 deaths a day from over 30,000 cases a day at an adult population vaccination rate of 66.9%.

Comparatively we would be between 275 and 300 hospitalisations a day, 66 deaths per day and 10,000 cases per day across the country. Looking at those numbers I'm ok with waiting another month or so to get the vaccination rates up before easing restrictions.

Swallow_Wood

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My sister works in the system and she tells me they are cancelling a wide range of procedures because of the stress that Covid has put on them now. She says there is no evidence that any new staff have been trained up for deployment to an ICU.

I know that you will find any reason you can to let this Government off the hook but there has been a woeful lack of action on that front.
Holy fu** dude, I don't give two fu**s about this government and have never voted for them and never will. Just calling it how I see it. You seem far more invested in hanging them that I am in supporting them.

Whist I'm sure you do have a sister in the system I will ask my contact as they have become increasingly heavily involved in planning activities around this at a state level so I will let you know what he tells me.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And 90% vaxxed is pipe dream type stuff. They can’t hold out for that. I reckon more then 10% of the population are not going to get the vaccine because they’re anti vaxx or because of their religious faith.
Agree. I think opening up is actually a key component of getting the vax rate from good (70% to 80%) to very good (90% plus) There are some people that won't get the jab until real fear from an up surge in cases or genuine FOMO from not being able to go to the pub kicks in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad