News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a depressing thought that this could effect the 2022 season.

If we get the vax number up case numbers don’t matter. Only need to look at hospitalisation percentage. Otherwise what’s the point?

That’s what a logical person would think.

Has there been any logical politicians in the last 2 years.

The only one recently is Gladys as she started the whole we will open at 80% and need to learn to live with it.

Otherwise our Dan would not have even considered it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get the sentiment Grogg but history has shown that shutting the one dedicated thread to the overwhelming topic of the day just leads to the chat leaking into multiple other threads.

I asked that people of both sides consider they’re talking among their fellow North flock before using ill considered language and terms.

We’re all sick of this crap and a bit of empathy can go a long way.

Hell, I’m in the most vulnerable 1a classed group myself and I’ve found out only this week that my mum has breast cancer, so I have a major stake in this game.

I generally choose to avoid posting in this thread as nothing positive can come from going postal over views I vehemently disagree with.

If people could just try to be more compassionate before posting I’m sure the discourse will be more palatable for all who are reading.

We’re all Northerners FFS.

When’s the first praccy match?

Well said TT and best wishes to your mum. It is a global pandemic and we are all impacted.

While I got to attend mum’s funeral last year, I didn’t get to Melbourne in time to say goodbye. Dad has months to live & I have no idea if I will see him again. All the family in Melbourne are not able to visit.

An overwhelmed hospital system will have devastating consequences for us all.

So as I sit here in Brisbane, acknowledging our relatively good fortune up until this point, my heart aches for the horror inflicted by this global pandemic.

The only one recently is Gladys as she started the whole we will open at 80% and need to learn to live with it.

The general populace will refuse to abide by stringent measures if vaccination levels are above 80%.

Instead of having the small number of nuffies protesting, you’ll have regular citizens joining in.

Isn’t she just following the global model?

Slight off topic, I’ve seen that Denmark, Sweden and some other Scandinavian countries are starting to remove all restrictions and mandatory vaccination. Wonder how that’ll turn out?

Slight off topic, I’ve seen that Denmark, Sweden and some other Scandinavian countries are starting to remove all restrictions and mandatory vaccination. Wonder how that’ll turn out?
Probably fine for the people who are vaccinated, not so well for the un-vaccinated.

I think in 12-24 months we will follow.

It is all unworkable long term as the rest of the world is removing mandates.

Our tourism will never recover if you place too many hurdles for them to consider as a destination point.

Imagine planning your trip and having to think a border could be closed at any time.

Having to prove your vaccination status with everything you do and everywhere you go.

Our tourism will never recover if rules stay in place.

Last edited:
Probably fine for the people who are vaccinated, not so well for the un-vaccinated.

They have a really highly vaccinated population. Think Malta has the most in Europe with 80%. But they’re all around 65-80%

I think in 12-24 months we will follow.

It is all unworkable long terminology the rest of the world is removing mandates.

Our tourism will never recover if you place too many hurdles for them to consider as a destination point.

Imagine planning your trip and having to think a border could be closed at any time.

Having to prove your vaccination status with everything you do and everywhere you go.

Our tourism will never recover if rules stay in place.

They won’t stay in place. That’s what makes all these people protesting ridiculous. Do they really think that Australia will turn into North Korea and stay locked up? Who would that serve? It’s the thing I’ve never understood about the people into the ‘plandemic conspiracy’, conspiracies only make sense if there’s something to gain. There’s nothing to gain from this except control of people but the only reason people are worth controlling is to profit off them. Can’t profit off people if they can’t ******* work and are literally getting paid by the government to do nothing. Mental.

Last edited:

lol and she only pushed that cart coz she stuffed the original containment/elimination strategy. she stumbled onto the right approach through sheer incompetence

They won’t stay in place. That’s what makes all these people protesting ridiculous. Do they really think that Australia will turn into North Korea and stay locked up? Who would that serve? It’s the thing I’ve never understood about the people into the ‘plandemic conspiracy’, conspiracies only make sense if there’s something to gain. There’s nothing to gain from this except control of people but the only reason people are worth controlling is to profit off them. Can’t profit of people if they can’t ******* work and are literally getting paid by the government to do nothing. Mental.

Small percentage of people have convinced themselves through repetition and false equivalencies that the government is out to get them.

It’s hilarious.

I get the sentiment Grogg but history has shown that shutting the one dedicated thread to the overwhelming topic of the day just leads to the chat leaking into multiple other threads.

I asked that people of both sides consider they’re talking among their fellow North flock before using ill considered language and terms.

We’re all sick of this crap and a bit of empathy can go a long way.

Hell, I’m in the most vulnerable 1a classed group myself and I’ve found out only this week that my mum has breast cancer, so I have a major stake in this game.

I generally choose to avoid posting in this thread as nothing positive can come from going postal over views I vehemently disagree with.

If people could just try to be more compassionate before posting I’m sure the discourse will be more palatable for all who are reading.

We’re all Northerners FFS.

When’s the first praccy match?

Very sorry to hear that mate. You are one of the best ones around here. All the best to your mum in the battle ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very sobering read. Unfortunately, those in here that would most benefit from this content are probably highly unlikely to read it.

Matthew Trunsky is used to people being angry at him.
As a pulmonologist and director of the palliative care unit at a Beaumont Health hospital in southeastern Michigan, Trunsky sees some of the facility’s sickest patients and is often the bearer of bad news.

He gets it. No one is prepared to hear a loved one is dying.
But when a well-regarded intensive care unit nurse told him during a recent shift that the wife of an unvaccinated covid patient had berated her when she informed the woman of her husband’s deteriorating condition, Trunsky, who has lost more than 100 patients to the coronavirus, reached his breaking point.
Want to get a morning briefing straight to your phone? Text JOIN to 63706 to sign up.
When he got home that evening, he made himself a sandwich and opened Facebook.

Still sporting his black scrubs, he began to vent. He wrote about a critically ill patient who disputed his covid-19 diagnosis. Another threatened to call his lawyer if he wasn’t given ivermectin, an anti-parasite drug that is not approved for treating covid. A third, Trunsky wrote, told the doctor they would rather die than take one of the vaccines.

One demanded a different doctor. “I don’t believe you,” he told the physician.
The physician added: “Of course the answer was to have been vaccinated — but they were not and now they’re angry at the medical community for their failure.”

Elevated by social media and right-wing pundits and politicians, the drug is not recommended by either the FDA or its manufacturer to treat covid-19. (Joshua Carroll/The Washington Post)
Trunsky’s post detailing his interactions with eight covid patients and their relatives highlights the resistance and mistreatment some health-care workers across the United States face while caring for patients who have put off or declined getting vaccinated. Trunsky estimates that 9 out of every 10 covid patients he treats are unvaccinated.

His post — a plea for people to get vaccinated — also reveals the physical and emotional toll the pandemic has had on health-care workers, who have been on the front lines for over a year and a half. Roughly 3 out of 10 have considered leaving the profession, according to a Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation poll, and about 6 in 10 say stress from the pandemic has harmed their mental health.
Burned out by the pandemic, 3 in 10 health-care workers consider leaving the profession
Some doctors are refusing to treat unvaccinated patients. Last month, an Alabama physician posed beside a sign announcing he would not treat any unvaccinated patients as of Oct. 1. Earlier this month, a Florida doctor sent a letter to her patients informing them that she would not be treating any unvaccinated patients in person after Sept. 15.

“We are physically tired as a whole, me included, and we are emotionally exhausted. … I don’t think a week goes by that I don’t see someone pass away,” he told The Washington Post.
Amid covid surge, hospitals suffer from worker burnout that forces some to walk off, officials say
Early into the pandemic, Trunsky spent about four hours a day calling patients’ families to update them on their loved ones’ status. Some of those conversations still affect him, like the time he called a woman to share the news that her father had died. “I’m sorry I can’t take your call right now‚” he recalled her telling him. “We’re burying my mother.”
Another time, when calling a woman to report her brother was dying, the woman — before Trunsky said anything — answered with, “Look, my mother died, my father died, my brother died and I don’t want any bad news.”
But what makes him sadder, he told The Post, “are the ones I don’t remember.” He has lost too many patients during the global pandemic to recall them all.

Throughout most of 2020, Trunsky and his staff faced surge after surge of coronavirus patients. So when the Food and Drug Administration authorized the first vaccine last December, Trunsky said morale and hope were restored at his hospital. That did not last long, though. As vaccination rates plateaued and the highly contagious delta variant began to spread, hospital beds began filling back up.

IMO politicians are just people at the end of the day and they hate making mistakes, especially mistakes that cost lives and bring extreme scrutiny. Ironically I think that’s why they tend to be overly safe, or as others would say ‘draconian’. It’d be a prick of a job imo.

Last edited:
Bugger me, back in the same covid testing queue as last week at the same time ☹

Queue longer this week. Someone txt me 1/2 time score please.

Thanks.

I got tested at the Showgrounds yesterday at about lunch time was pretty busy but only took about 1/2 hour. Got my negative result back at 10pm last night. The contact tracing is cooked but they’ve got the testing down pat.

This is a very sobering read. Unfortunately, those in here that would most benefit from this content are probably highly unlikely to read it.

Matthew Trunsky is used to people being angry at him.
As a pulmonologist and director of the palliative care unit at a Beaumont Health hospital in southeastern Michigan, Trunsky sees some of the facility’s sickest patients and is often the bearer of bad news.

He gets it. No one is prepared to hear a loved one is dying.
But when a well-regarded intensive care unit nurse told him during a recent shift that the wife of an unvaccinated covid patient had berated her when she informed the woman of her husband’s deteriorating condition, Trunsky, who has lost more than 100 patients to the coronavirus, reached his breaking point.
Want to get a morning briefing straight to your phone? Text JOIN to 63706 to sign up.
When he got home that evening, he made himself a sandwich and opened Facebook.

Still sporting his black scrubs, he began to vent. He wrote about a critically ill patient who disputed his covid-19 diagnosis. Another threatened to call his lawyer if he wasn’t given ivermectin, an anti-parasite drug that is not approved for treating covid. A third, Trunsky wrote, told the doctor they would rather die than take one of the vaccines.

One demanded a different doctor. “I don’t believe you,” he told the physician.
The physician added: “Of course the answer was to have been vaccinated — but they were not and now they’re angry at the medical community for their failure.”

Elevated by social media and right-wing pundits and politicians, the drug is not recommended by either the FDA or its manufacturer to treat covid-19. (Joshua Carroll/The Washington Post)
Trunsky’s post detailing his interactions with eight covid patients and their relatives highlights the resistance and mistreatment some health-care workers across the United States face while caring for patients who have put off or declined getting vaccinated. Trunsky estimates that 9 out of every 10 covid patients he treats are unvaccinated.

His post — a plea for people to get vaccinated — also reveals the physical and emotional toll the pandemic has had on health-care workers, who have been on the front lines for over a year and a half. Roughly 3 out of 10 have considered leaving the profession, according to a Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation poll, and about 6 in 10 say stress from the pandemic has harmed their mental health.
Burned out by the pandemic, 3 in 10 health-care workers consider leaving the profession
Some doctors are refusing to treat unvaccinated patients. Last month, an Alabama physician posed beside a sign announcing he would not treat any unvaccinated patients as of Oct. 1. Earlier this month, a Florida doctor sent a letter to her patients informing them that she would not be treating any unvaccinated patients in person after Sept. 15.

“We are physically tired as a whole, me included, and we are emotionally exhausted. … I don’t think a week goes by that I don’t see someone pass away,” he told The Washington Post.
Amid covid surge, hospitals suffer from worker burnout that forces some to walk off, officials say
Early into the pandemic, Trunsky spent about four hours a day calling patients’ families to update them on their loved ones’ status. Some of those conversations still affect him, like the time he called a woman to share the news that her father had died. “I’m sorry I can’t take your call right now‚” he recalled her telling him. “We’re burying my mother.”
Another time, when calling a woman to report her brother was dying, the woman — before Trunsky said anything — answered with, “Look, my mother died, my father died, my brother died and I don’t want any bad news.”
But what makes him sadder, he told The Post, “are the ones I don’t remember.” He has lost too many patients during the global pandemic to recall them all.

Throughout most of 2020, Trunsky and his staff faced surge after surge of coronavirus patients. So when the Food and Drug Administration authorized the first vaccine last December, Trunsky said morale and hope were restored at his hospital. That did not last long, though. As vaccination rates plateaued and the highly contagious delta variant began to spread, hospital beds began filling back up.

The original Facebook post:

1632536829483.png

The problem with lockdown is that everyone is on their computers so stuff sells out faster 😭

Grr bloody Dan Andrews fault I was dilly dallying on the officeworks website and didn’t check out after 10 mins while contemplating what phone to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back