News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearest to pin....

How long will vaccine mandates be in place for ?

Mind you, they're not really mandates because you can choose to not work or enter a business of course.
Until the lizard King has drunk the blood of 300 children?

It's going to be wonderful to watch the mental gymnastics when the "unvaccinated" hospitalisations stat includes....wait for it....the vaccinated.

Yep, two shotters will be pissed on and moaned about just as zero shotters are today.

The three shotters will be horrified at the recklessness of the two shotters lack of urgency to three shot.

On and on it will go.

It's going to be wonderful to watch the mental gymnastics when the "unvaccinated" hospitalisations stat includes....wait for it....the vaccinated.

Yep, two shotters will be pissed on and moaned about just as zero shotters are today.

The three shotters will be horrified at the recklessness of the two shotters lack of urgency to three shot.

On and on it will go.
Apart from people who have had the pfizer vaccine booster shots may not be needed.

Alot of the push for boosters is shameless marketing by capitalist scum *s.

It doesn't matter when it begins. An early foetus is essentially an intrinsic part of the mother, and therefore decisions about the foetus are in reality, decisions about the mother.

You shouldn't be making decisions about the mother.

You can disagree with the decisions the mother makes, you can dislike decisions the mother makes, but this doesn't give you the right to remove her right to make them, and replace them with your decisions.

This is the difference between being against abortions and "pro life".

A pro lifer believes in controlling women.

I don't, doesn't mean I favour abortions.

Do you believe it should be a crime for a 16 year old rape victim facing significant health issues to have an abortion?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

What percentage of abortions do you think are 16yo rape victims? <0.001%? Why would you use something that’s such an extreme outlier to defend your position?

Saying pro-lifers want to control women is the strawiest of strawmen you will ever hear.

Of course I can’t make people do what I want, that’s what lawmakers are for. But I can believe that a fetus is a life, and therefore a mother has no more right to end that life than I have to end any other person’s life.

Anyway, I mentioned earlier that I’m not discussing this here, it’s not the right thread. I’m 100% happy for people to PM me and we’ll chat further, or take it to a more relevant thread. Just don’t want to pollute this one.

Fair enough. Can you define your view on what makes a Christian a fundamentalist?
Dogmatic, doesn't question scripture, promotes their particular faith even in the face of rational evidence that contradict their beliefs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nearest to pin....

How long will vaccine mandates be in place for ?

Mind you, they're not really mandates because you can choose to not work or enter a business of course.
It's like a lot of choices. You can choose not to pay sales tax or income tax as well. But that requires you earn and spend no money. So I suspect bin diving becomes the alternative?

Saying pro-lifers want to control women is the strawiest of strawmen you will ever hear.
That is my impression of alot of them. You can be against abortion and not be a "pro-lifer" btw. When I hear or see it I think of extreme fundy Christians in the US "warrior jezuz' tradition. You know the sort - they watch shows like "Kenneth Copeland's Believer's Hour of Victory" for their GWoT divine retribution fix. The sort that would rather arrest prostitutes (then rape them) rather than have a legal, safe (for the workers) sex industry.

The sort that support the death penalty because Jesus said "Whatever you do to the least of my brothers you do to me."

The September 2014 “American Values Survey” by the Public Religion Research Institute (PRPI) showed that 48% of Americans said they preferred life without parole as the punishment for murder, as compared to 44% who said they preferred the death penalty. The poll found what PRPI commentators described as “significant religious divides on this issue.” Support for the death penalty was lowest among Hispanic and Black Protestants, at 24% and 25%, respectively. 68% of each preferred life without parole. Catholics, Jews, other non-Christian religions, and the religiously unaffiliated all preferred life without parole to the death penalty. Only White evangelical (59 percent) and White mainline Protestants (52 percent) expressed majority support for the death penalty, with 34% and 40% from these groups, respectively, preferring life without parole.

No surprise their given those Southern baptist and Evangelical types are generally scum. So no wonder so much of their religion is devoted to ideas like men controlling women and women not being able to live independently in society. Very similar to Muslim and Hindu fundies on that level.

Not all Christians are like this obviously, but the most vocal and political are.

Of course I can’t make people do what I want, that’s what lawmakers are for.

Very droll.

But I can believe that a fetus is a life, and therefore a mother has no more right to end that life than I have to end any other person’s life.

A fetus is 100% dependent on sponging from its mum's body to survive. We all did this on the way to where we are now. What you are saying is you don't believe a mum has the right to do what she wants with the nutrients she ingests and the oxygen she breathes. This is what this argument always come down to btw.

Anyway, I mentioned earlier that I’m not discussing this here, it’s not the right thread. I’m 100% happy for people to PM me and we’ll chat further, or take it to a more relevant thread. Just don’t want to pollute this one.

I missed this the first time I read your comment. Oops.

That is my impression of alot of them. You can be against abortion and not be a "pro-lifer" btw. When I hear or see it I think of extreme fundy Christians in the US "warrior jezuz' tradition. You know the sort - they watch shows like "Kenneth Copeland's Believer's Hour of Victory" for their GWoT divine retribution fix. The sort that would rather arrest prostitutes (then rape them) rather than have a legal, safe (for the workers) sex industry.

The sort that support the death penalty because Jesus said "Whatever you do to the least of my brothers you do to me."

The September 2014 “American Values Survey” by the Public Religion Research Institute (PRPI) showed that 48% of Americans said they preferred life without parole as the punishment for murder, as compared to 44% who said they preferred the death penalty. The poll found what PRPI commentators described as “significant religious divides on this issue.” Support for the death penalty was lowest among Hispanic and Black Protestants, at 24% and 25%, respectively. 68% of each preferred life without parole. Catholics, Jews, other non-Christian religions, and the religiously unaffiliated all preferred life without parole to the death penalty. Only White evangelical (59 percent) and White mainline Protestants (52 percent) expressed majority support for the death penalty, with 34% and 40% from these groups, respectively, preferring life without parole.

No surprise their given those Southern baptist and Evangelical types are generally scum. So no wonder so much of their religion is devoted to ideas like men controlling women and women not being able to live independently in society. Very similar to Muslim and Hindu fundies on that level.

Not all Christians are like this obviously, but the most vocal and political are.

Very droll.

A fetus is 100% dependent on sponging from its mum's body to survive. We all did this on the way to where we are now. What you are saying is you don't believe a mum has the right to do what she wants with the nutrients she ingests and the oxygen she breathes. This is what this argument always come down to btw.

I missed this the first time I read your comment. Oops.

Happy to discuss. PM me if you’re keen. No stress if you’re not, I get that I don’t have a popular view.

A Christian fundamentalist is one the believes in the strict interpretation of the scriptures. I googled it, not sure why you couldn't?

I know what I think a fundamentalist Christian is, Blackshadow has made some dubious and hypocritical posts and I’m keen to explore the rational behind them. I’m order to do it, I need to understand the definitions behind his posts.

I guess alot of you think I'm over the top with my criticism of certain elements of the vaccine industry and Pfizer in particular.

So I'll ask you who would you listen to?

Some epidemiologist from Melbourne uni:

‘Let’s think ahead a bit more. We want to get everybody fully dosed, or as many people as possible with AstraZeneca or Pfizer,’ he told 3AW.

‘But then we are going to need to boost. This Delta virus is really quite something. We are going to want to boost first of all those people who have had AstraZeneca and top them up with mRNA, and we are also going to want to vaccinate the children. "

Or dame lady what's her face who reckons they aren't necessary?

Dogmatic, doesn't question scripture, promotes their particular faith even in the face of rational evidence that contradict their beliefs.

That is a very broad brush. The original post I responded to was that a particular politician (can’t remember which one) doesn’t have a valid opinion on anything because they are a fundamentalist. Are you suggesting that anyone that meets your above criteria doesn’t have a valid opinion on anything?

That is a very broad brush. The original post I responded to was that a particular politician (can’t remember which one) doesn’t have a valid opinion on anything because they are a fundamentalist. Are you suggesting that anyone that meets your above criteria doesn’t have a valid opinion on anything?
I hold the opinions of those who identify as fundamentalist anything in pretty low esteem.

Happy to discuss. PM me if you’re keen. No stress if you’re not, I get that I don’t have a popular view.
Honestly if I'd read that last line I wouldn't have commented. I'm not criticising someone for being opposed to abortions, I get where you are coming from but I can see both sides of the argument and its not one I want to get involved in. (Unless you tie that believe to a whole lot of other stuff I genuinely disagree with but that's about more than just abortions I reckon.)

I got a girl pregnant once and she had an abortion. Her family circumstances were such that having a child or her parents finding out she was pregnant were untenable. I was in my late teens or early 20s and didn't have "another" kid until over 20 years later. genuinely thought I'd missed my only chance at it.

I can see both sides of the vaccination argument too (but I only agree with one.) I just understand why some people are hesitant and honestly don't blame them given the pile on that accompanies them expressing their views.

I hold the opinions of those who identify as fundamentalist anything in pretty low esteem.

And how many fundamentalist Christians do you personally know? Or is this based on what you see on tv?

I would be shocked if you knew more than I do, and almost every single one I know supports lockdowns, is pro-vaccine, is strongly in favour of climate action, is a strong advocate for indigenous reconciliation, and strongly believes that it is the responsibility of the church to help and defend the poor and the outcast.

It’s easy to cast stones at something you don’t know. Take the time to get to know some fundamentalist Christians and you might be surprised what you see.

And how many fundamentalist Christians do you personally know? Or is this based on what you see on tv?

I would be shocked if you knew more than I do, and almost every single one I know supports lockdowns, is pro-vaccine, is strongly in favour of climate action, is a strong advocate for indigenous reconciliation, and strongly believes that it is the responsibility of the church to help and defend the poor and the outcast.

It’s easy to cast stones at something you don’t know. Take the time to get to know some fundamentalist Christians and you might be surprised what you see.
I certainly know my fair share - lots of family members who fit the fundamentalist Christian category in various denominations.

I certainly know my fair share - lots of family members who fit the fundamentalist Christian category in various denominations.

Fair enough, sounds like some people have caused some pretty bad impressions with some poor behaviour. All I’m saying is it’s best not to write off a huge swathe of people based purely off their religion, when it’s possible to believe the core fundamentals of a religion and still vary wildly in your views on other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back