News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it's great that people are able to make informed decisions and do whatever the hell they desire. Whether that be stay home or get out and about.

I was on the beach St Kilda Sunday and it was packed. The smell of Crisco filled the nostrils. Or was that coconut oil. Doesn't matter really.
I'll be out Friday night and Saturday night and fair chance I'll be out Sunday.
You’re out that much it’s like you’re opening bat for the poms 🏏

It matters in the sense - I, like most are fully vaccinated, have no underlying health conditions and am not elderly, so can/do we safely assume this recent COVID Omicron wave poses no threat of serious illness or worse to us..?
While I understand people not dying or in ICU doesn't promote headlines, it would be nice occasionally if the media chose to 'educate', rather than 'entertain' with their related reporting..!
Someone can be living with a chronic illness for years, and they may have a reasonable expectation of living for many more. And then they catch COVID, and they're done.

To downplay their death, effectively saying they shouldn't really count because something was going to get them eventually, is firstly heartless, and secondly, IMO, a deliberate attempt to make the virus sound less serious.

If someone was alive last week, then they caught COVID, and then they died, then I think it is reasonable to attribute that death to COVID. The whole "with/from" COVID thing has never sat well with me.

Someone can be living with a chronic illness for years, and they may have a reasonable expectation of living for many more. And then they catch COVID, and they're done.

To downplay their death, effectively saying they shouldn't really count because something was going to get them eventually, is firstly heartless, and secondly, IMO, a deliberate attempt to make the virus sound less serious.

If someone was alive last week, then they caught COVID, and then they died, then I think it is reasonable to attribute that death to COVID. The whole "with/from" COVID thing has never sat well with me.
A great response!

Agreed and excellently put.

There is a distinction to be made between things like trauma victims and those with underlying issues. In the former, sure, the 'with vs from' debate is pretty sensible.

When it comes to 'secondary conditions' which range from obesity and blood pressure through to terminal cancer, it gets a lot murkier and is usually used to downplay the seriousness of COVID. Countries hit hard by COVID have huge amounts of excess mortality which suggests that what you say is bang on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have covid test turnaround times decreased?
I just did mine at the hospital this morning and got it back this afternoon.
Same time last week took 3 days.

Have covid test turnaround times decreased?
I just did mine at the hospital this morning and got it back this afternoon.
Same time last week took 3 days.
I'm guessing that with all the rapid tests being done at home that numbers for lab tests have decreased heaps. Just a guess.

Symptoms right now: sore throat, temperature and hurts when I breathe

I made a smoothie

Thanks for all the messages
The good news now is that you will plenty of time to read the dad jokes thread from the first post again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back