News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a look at findarat.com.au.
Lots of chemists as you’d expect, the Nails & Lashes Salon or the Concrete Jointing Systems places selling tests was a bit unexpected.
Hmmm... They buy them for employees to be tested. Claim as an expense. Sell for 19% above purchase price and $$$$$ profit baby!!

Would be very nice, although I’m not sure how they can have confidence in current numbers given how hard it is to get tested in both states. Fingers crossed.

I am guessing it is based on hospital data, that would be data you could rely on... assuming the number of who get more serious symptoms is fairly consistent you could extrapolate backwards from those coming into hospital what the effective spread is in the community. Of course, this would be subject to anomalies like a nursing home being exposed triggering a lot of serious infections in a concentrated group of vulnerable people.

At the end of Dec we had 428 in Hospital, 54 in ICU and 21 on Vents
7th Jan we had 644, 106 and 24
14th Jan we had 976, 112 and 30
21st Jan we have 1096, 121 and 34

We kind of peaked on the 17th/18th with highs of 1229 in hospital, 129 in ICU and 43 on Vents before coming down. We should note the number coming down would be a combination of recoveries and deaths vs new infection. We did have a lot of deaths though.

They have mentioned there is lag time with deaths as a lot of those that fall badly ill are in ICU for some time before passing away so deaths will tend to go up for a while after the peak before declining and following the curve.

Since the end of December we have seen deaths for the week hit +10 for 7 Jan, +92 for 14th and +109 for 21st. Without the benefit of hindsight, I think we will know we are slowing down when the death rate starts to decline over a period of time, we should have a good idea where we are at by mid Feb.

So far so good mate. Just done a shop for him tonight for the wife to drop off in the morning as iam rostered on. He said he was down to 3 stubbies. Our cousins wife did a drop off yesterday with his chemist order.
Family emergency then!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread has changed.
It was all grand standing for so long.
Now it seems its hitting a bit closer to home a bit more.
Best of luck to anyone who is crook.
Gawd awful wasn’t it
But yeh I think we are in the eye of the Storm.Wait for February

meatloaf music was bombastic and over the top, but gee it was good fun !

sorry to hear of his death. Hopefully it wasnt due to him not being vaccinated. He had a number of health issues so not being jabbed would have just been dumb

Apparently there is a beer shortage due to supply chains issues
not out at tanjil.... having said that i was sailing pretty close to the wind just after xmas but have 4o litres about to be kegged in te next few days and ingredients sitting there to go back to back twice. so should be back to over 100 litres of beer and 20 litres of ginger beer in stock.

I did a reno just off Fitzroy street, without the backpacker element, Stkilda is a shithole.
remember staggering out of the old sunset strip in grey st many times in the early hours over the years, looks like its a gym and the dentist has taken over the other half now. by gosh that place was a dive but the drinks were bloody cheap.

remember staggering out of the old sunset strip in grey st many times in the early hours over the years, looks like its a gym and the dentist has taken over the other half now. by gosh that place was a dive but the drinks were bloody cheap.

I’m sure it’s still got a thriving nightlife, (Prince of Whales and cushion lounge were our old spots) but man Monday to Friday down Fitzroy street everything’s closed and it’s just Junkies and homeless people. The Junkies were always there but without the backpackers, they’re the only people around. It’s quite eye opening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back