big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Copping a lot of flack on Twitter, but Twitter is very negative in general…so is the media. Makes it really hard to tell from Melbourne.

I have family in WA and I know they’re not happy but that’s probably because they travel a lot for work and they haven’t been able to see anyone from interstate for a couple of years.
This one hurts a bit, tbh.

My father passed away a couple of weeks ago, and my brother, who lives in country South Australia, hadn't seen him in person for about three years. There were numerous planned visits that have been cancelled, including one that was only days away when borders were closed in July.

He's not able to come to the funeral this week, and plans for him to come after February 5, and then take Mum to SA for a bit have also been put on hold for a while.

That said, the plan for the state government has always been to keep COVID out for as long as possible. And they have done that far better than anyone has expected. So if that's your main goal, and Feb 5 is an arbitrary date anyway, they may as well shift it back. Still hurts, though.

It will be interesting to see what happens if cases start to blow out - whether there majority of people say "it could be so much worse if we opened up" or if it is "well, it's here now, may as well just open up." The media seem to be pushing the re-opening, which is significant, because they were very supportive of McGowan in the past.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was five days originally. Maybe four with Delta and 2-3 with Omicron but its not really clear.

I think you became infectious within 2 days originally and were at peak infectiousness after three days - a day or two before symptoms became obvious.
The incubation period I think is hard to estimate now given with little or no genome testing people can't be sure what strain they get. My dad gets rat tested every day because he has to to see his partner in a care facility. He got his booster on one day then tested positive the next with no symptoms. Symptoms came the following day but he is no clearer of where or when he was exposed.

So if he wasn't visiting the care facility he would have had no pre warning he had been infected other than when the symptoms arose.

My father passed away a couple of weeks ago, and my brother, who lives in country South Australia, hadn't seen him in person for about three years. There were numerous planned visits that have been cancelled, including one that was only days away when borders were closed in July.

He's not able to come to the funeral this week, and plans for him to come after February 5, and then take Mum to SA for a bit have also been put on hold for a while.

That said, the plan for the state government has always been to keep COVID out for as long as possible. And they have done that far better than anyone has expected. So if that's your main goal, and Feb 5 is an arbitrary date anyway, they may as well shift it back. Still hurts, though.

It will be interesting to see what happens if cases start to blow out - whether there majority of people say "it could be so much worse if we opened up" or if it is "well, it's here now, may as well just open up." The media seem to be pushing the re-opening, which is significant, because they were very supportive of McGowan in the past.
Sorry to hear about your old man. That sucks.

Sorry to hear about your old man

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

That really sucks.

Hope you're OK.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

That’s rough mate.

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Yeah thanks everyone.

FWIW, the advice from the funeral directors was to not try to get my brother across. They have had a few get into WA and then get an exemption to go to the funeral, but you then have to be in another room, so you basically watch it on a TV anyway.

By coincidence, one of my employees lost her mother in law on the same day. Her husband's sister had come across from SA and had been granted an exemption to leave hotel quarantine to see her mum in palliative care. It just required a negative PCR test, which was booked to be done by a nurse at a particular time.

But the nurse didn't show up, so she had to stay in quarantine. Her mother passed away that night.

Absolutely heart-breaking.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sorry to hear about your old man.

Sincere condolences for your old man’s passing mate.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah thanks everyone.

FWIW, the advice from the funeral directors was to not try to get my brother across. They have had a few get into WA and then get an exemption to go to the funeral, but you then have to be in another room, so you basically watch it on a TV anyway.

By coincidence, one of my employees lost her mother in law on the same day. Her husband's sister had come across from SA and had been granted an exemption to leave hotel quarantine to see her mum in palliative care. It just required a negative PCR test, which was booked to be done by a nurse at a particular time.

But the nurse didn't show up, so she had to stay in quarantine. Her mother passed away that night.

Absolutely heart-breaking.
crazy crazy times, almost like a keystone cops skit but without the humor.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

A pretty good summary of what is happening out there.

"Of 708 unvaccinated Covid cases in the 70-to-79 age group, there were 171 people who either died or ended up in ICU, giving a severe outcome rate of 21.9%, compared with a rate of 1.8% for vaccinated people."

So in a nutshell we cannot control how old we are but we definately can control if we get a vaccination. That 10 fold statistic just keeps consistently repeating itself through alpha, delta and now omnicron, , yet the antivaxxers still insist the data isnt there. defies belief really and i personally think it justified the hardline approach the get people into action.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last edited:

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Check this. The tiny nation stated completely covid free because they closed their boarders, then they open up to tourists and 36 passengers from a flight to the island had covid… even through they had all quarantined and tested negative and had been vaccinated. There is no escaping this cursed virus.

Edit- they did have 2 previous cases.
As WA has discovered isolation just buys you some time, the wise places get their vaccinations, hospitals and supply of RATS sorted out in this period. here we have people like scummo who choose to sit on their hands deflecting blame in that time.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As WA has discovered isolation just buys you some time, the wise places get their vaccinations, hospitals and supply of RATS sorted out in this period. here we have people like scummo who choose to sit on their hands deflecting blame in that time.

Unlike WA though Kirbati haven’t been fully vaccinated with just over half of the population receiving their first jab. This situation is exactly what the WHO and other scientists have warned about because it’s where the virus will mutate. There needs to be more focus on getting poorer nations vaccinated rather than richer nations getting booster shots, but pharmaceutical companies only care about money so that isn’t happening.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So in a nutshell we cannot control how old we are but we definately can control if we get a vaccination. That 10 fold statistic just keeps consistently repeating itself through alpha, delta and now omnicron, , yet the antivaxxers still insist the data isnt there. defies belief really and i personally think it justified the hardline approach the get people into action.
Israel have announced great success with a fourth COVID shot! I am thinking of fitting myself with an intravenous drip.
Is there that many antivaxxers left- I thought they all died? :p

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Rapid Antigen Tests were illegal in WA until about three weeks ago.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Israel have announced great success with a fourth COVID shot! I am thinking of fitting myself with an intravenous drip.
they have issues with ultra orthadox jews not getting the jab and wont fund palenstinians keeping the total fully immunised population round 70 percent instead of above 90 where it needs to be, your efforts rather than getting an IV would be better spent encouraging those riding in others coat tails to step up. so the ones who keep stepping up are taking a hit for this,

Is there that many antivaxxers left- I thought they all died? :p
and conversely they all reckoned us that got jabbed would be dead by now. one things for sure , the anti vaxxers are 10fold more represented in the sereve cases even though they are only 10 percent of the population,

Last edited:
Back