Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Where are you getting these figures from.

My posts are from the official DHHS website.
Reported deaths today are 12 not 24 as you stated above.

I'll leave it at that!

But I'm saying yesterday, which in fact given the provided numbers now, is the day before.

This is the resource I've used for world numbers.

View attachment 947247

Yesterdays reported numbers = +24 dead & 46 in ICU

View attachment 947249

Is Qatar so much better resourced than us?
Almost 5 times as many reportings, yet just over one third of deaths.

Qatar with a population of just over a couple of million is one of the richest countries in the world(per head of capita), yes, i'd imagine they're better resourced than we are.

swuzzlebubble

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2007
Royal Pde
AFL Club
Carlton
But I'm saying yesterday, which in fact given the provided numbers now, is the day before.

This is the resource I've used for world numbers.
That's a good site.
It will be different to our local numbers because it resets at midnight GMT which is 1 or 2pm here and some states report daily before and after that time.

Population age profiles? Profile of those in ICU?

2018 figures;

Population2,363,569 (July 2018 est.)
Median agetotal: 33.4 years (2018 est.) male: 34.6 years female: 28.2 years

Yes, that may certainly have some effect and probably a large one, but our ratios have taken a huge swing from where they were.

We had 46 on ICU yesterday and have reported 24 deaths today (therefore 70 on ICU) - ******* scary. 30% per day?
It takes a while to completely overwhelm the patient, these deaths are most likely occurring to the people infected a couple of weeks or more ago, the strong and lucky have fought through and survived, the unlucky are succumbing.

With fewer recent infections it makes sense that the number of people dying, as a percentage of those still really sick, is increasing.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Finally the main stream media in the US are starting to realize the limitations of the PCR tests. Very well researched article that is talking about the limitations in our testing regimes.

Australia is following along with the same techniques of testing(PCR) that the US and europe have been. Its not testing or identifying infectious people at all and only creating headline grabbing case numbers that not only frighten people but more importantly totally distort the trend numbers that are being used to make public policy. I say this because there has been no attempt to qualify the PCR results by the governments with the Ct values or relate the results back to being either infectious or non infectious.

Why is this important? Because we need to take the infectious people out of circulation asap so that they stop spreading the virus. The PCR test is just being reported as either + or -ve- yet approximately 90% of the PCR +ves are not infectious or even currently infected.

So much time and resources is being put into contact tracing and quarantining people who are no longer infectious > We have limited resources because the fact is that we have only tested maybe 24% of the australian population in 6 months! Likely less.

Given our lack of resources, we should use those resources to the best effect- by identifying the people that are infectious at the time that they are infectious- not up to 3 months later!

Hopefully the Mods dont delete this post because they personally disagree with it. Information is information. New York Times is a reputable news source.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html#click=https://t.co/uKyXUySVlM
Screenshot - 2020-08-31T071621.113.png

Last edited:
Does anyone else know of people that have been told they were infected without even having done the test?

Someone I know who has many friends and acquaintances has been told on several occasions through these friends, that they received a positive result via text and asked to isolate, without having even gone through with the test itself.

Does anyone else know of people that have been told they were infected without even having done the test?

Someone I know who has many friends and acquaintances has been told on several occasions through these friends, that they received a positive result via text and asked to isolate, without having even gone through with the test itself.

I wonder whether they have actually been told they were infected. Maybe it's a case of them having being exposed to somebody who subsequently tested positive. For example, if somebody at a workplace was found to be infected they would ask people who had been in close contact to self-isolate as well. This doesn't require testing.

I'd be very surprised if people were getting random text messages stating they were infected when they hadn't been tested. The only other thing I could think of is that somebody's playing funny buggers with them.

I wonder whether they have actually been told they were infected. Maybe it's a case of them having being exposed to somebody who subsequently tested positive. For example, if somebody at a workplace was found to be infected they would ask people who had been in close contact to self-isolate as well. This doesn't require testing.

I'd be very surprised if people were getting random text messages stating they were infected when they hadn't been tested. The only other thing I could think of is that somebody's playing funny buggers with them.

My understanding is that they registered for testing and chose to not go through with it.
I'll endeavour to get the exact details.

Definitely not playing games though.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
You get a phone call if you're positive.

Also, some of those deaths are from the previous two weeks that weren't reported on time. Not trying to minimise the number but it's disingenuous that they're being reported as all occurring overnight.

From my post above ...

Today's deaths total includes 22 people who died in the weeks leading up to 27 August and were reported to DHHS by aged care facilities yesterday.

Back