Coronavirus/COVID-19

yep they were entitled to come home but not take take 3 months to do so.

no excuse taking that long to get back here other than serious health issues.

how on gods earth can we have people flying into the country that can’t speak English at all and therefore are confused what’s happening?
Not everyone could pack up and go instantly. Some would have had contractual work obligations or might have been finishing a doctoral thesis. They might have been with ailing or dying relatives. They might have had to sell their apartment before returning home permanently.

There are just so many legit scenarios. We can’t lumber them all with the accusation that they were too slow or too slack.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not everyone could pack up and go instantly. Some would have had contractual work obligations or might have been finishing a doctoral thesis. They might have been with ailing or dying relatives. They might have had to sell their apartment before returning home permanently.

There are just so many legit scenarios. We can’t lumber them all with the accusation that they were too slow or too slack.

true but not the numbers we have had flying in and the fact most of them are residents and not citizens is also baffling

but we can’t ask those questions in today’s PC world.

No excuses for the security guards at all. They’d surely be out of work by now.

I sympathise with Andrews but he’s got to carry the can.

How do you sack ghosts, on the payroll but don't exist. They had better tear these security companies a new one. Not only for their allowing/causing this outbreak, but for defrauding the tax payer.

There is a real pattern in this type of scam in several industries.

And where's Jenny Mikakos hiding. Don't know how many times I have to say in my opinion she's incompetent.

true but not the numbers we have had flying in and the fact most of them are residents and not citizens is also baffling

but we can’t ask those questions in today’s PC world.
Yes we can!

Sounds like a good subject for some astute investigative journalism and analysis ...

... oh yeah, right. I was forgetting we don’t have much of that left any more.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s a Pandemic!!!!

As much as many people wanted the Pandemic to be over.... it’s not. This is a sneaky virus, a virus that doesn’t always appear in tests. Many people don’t even know they have it....

Instead of taking this seriously, we have media telling us to open up the economy, politicians point scoring, protests and complacency setting in amongst the population.

At the moment, the virus winning.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
OD, we’ve had a similar discussion a few months back. Do you remember whinging that restrictions should be eased so people can go about there business? Claiming that Andrews is being a tyrant?

I actually blame people who don’t take this seriously, like yourself who didn’t take this situation seriously two months back. Too many took the view that they should be able to go to the shops, go to visit family, go play golf, go about their lives. Now we’re seeing what happens when people take the piss.

I blame people who have broken the rules and have most likely done so because they haven’t taken this thing seriously.

Do I blame the state leaders that have done an outstanding job during a world first pandemic situation? No. That’s too much of a cop out for the knuckleheads who haven’t done what’s right.

I agree to disagree. As you say Dan took all these extra measures schools, golf, fishing but dropped the ball as it turned out one of the most important issues.
The NSW government copped the flak and rightly so regarding the ruby princess. They got lucky it was at the start and are good position now but still cost lives. I do not understand how you cannot apportion any blame on Dan as Dogwatch has said he has already admitted to be at fault.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree to disagree. As you say Dan took all these extra measures schools, golf, fishing but dropped the ball as it turned out one of the most important issues.
The NSW government copped the flak and rightly so regarding the ruby princess. They got lucky it was at the start and are good position now but still cost lives. I do not understand how you cannot apportion any blame on Dan as Dogwatch has said he has already admitted to be at fault.

Dan stuffed up with trusting xxxxxx Security. Dan has taken responsibility like an adult. No hiding behind mistruths.... no pretending it didn’t happen.... no refusing to answer reporters questions for months. You generally find out how good a person is, when they stuffs up & takes responsibility.

Let’s see what Dan is made of. Can he get us out of this mess?

Dan I value competence, don’t stuff this up again!

JHC When I see stuff like this, I just want to kick people in the arse. How effin horrible to be confined to a tiny home like this poor woman's family. (They show her backyard at the 6:22 mark.) :rolleyes:

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My spin, not to be taken as fact :)

Most of the media stories are coming from NSW
NSW are running a different agenda at moment add this to the Shire, Suburb, Postcode and lock-down rules, its little wonder we have confusion in Vic

With the Hotels we have a huge lack of training
This means we have ended up with a jack of all trades and a master of none situation. Regardless whoever is doing the work, training is needed

Its seems we are still flying people in that have the virus - why?
Surely all Australian nationals are back by now?

The Vic Government are on to it; hopefully we can pull it back

Unfortunately you can’t legislate against stupidity.
We’ve had a global pandemic for 6 months surely these idiot security guards knew about the Covid 19 restrictions even without proper training or English being their first language. Looks like they are going to get off scott free.

People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions.
Scary how many people still don’t get it 🙁

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
JHC When I see stuff like this, I just want to kick people in the arse. How effin horrible to be confined to a tiny home like this poor woman's family. (They show her backyard at the 6:22 mark.) :rolleyes:

Then again I think- which other country would you rather live in atm. Brazil? Britain? USA? Russia?

I know it’s boring and lonely for a lot of people but at least we’ve got coherent leadership, not a science denialist narcissist who thinks human lives are expendable.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
My spin, not to be taken as fact :)

Most of the media stories are coming from NSW
NSW are running a different agenda at moment add this to the Shire, Suburb, Postcode and lock-down rules, its little wonder we have confusion in Vic

With the Hotels we have a huge lack of training
This means we have ended up with a jack of all trades and a master of none situation. Regardless whoever is doing the work, training is needed

Its seems we are still flying people in that have the virus - why?
Surely all Australian nationals are back by now?

The Vic Government are on to it; hopefully we can pull it back

Not sure if you are aware of this but the flights that were landing in Melbourne have been diverted to Sydney.

Then again I think- which other country would you rather live in atm. Brazil? Britain? USA? Russia?

I know it’s boring and lonely for a lot of people but at least we’ve got coherent leadership, not a science denialist narcissist who thinks human lives are expendable.
Errr... I think you missed the point of my post. You do notice the roll eyes emoji at the end?

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Errr... I think you missed the point of my post. You do notice the roll eyes emoji at the end?

Sorry. Been hearing nothing but human interest stories about people who find themselves ithe new lockdown zones all day as if Dan was creating a new Stalinist Russia to oppress them.

Also assumed you had adopted the American sense of humour which is devoid of sarcasm.

Sorry. Been hearing nothing but human interest stories about people who find themselves ithe new lockdown zones all day as if Dan was creating a new Stalinist Russia to oppress them.

Also assumed you had adopted the American sense of humour which is devoid of sarcasm.
You take that back! ;) I inherited my sarcasm from my late father. You should meet my brother!

I think that woman in the video is just upset that she can't have her usual coffee cinnamon scone with her girlfriends, followed by a trip to a store so she can buy more outrageously large necklaces. :p

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if you are aware of this but the flights that were landing in Melbourne have been diverted to Sydney.

Thanks - I am aware flights have been diverted
A lot of flights have come in though
I'm guessing Australian Nationals that are dragging the chain a bit

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You take that back! ;) I inherited my sarcasm from my late father. You should meet my brother!

I think that woman in the video is just upset that she can't have her usual coffee cinnamon scone with her girlfriends, followed by a trip to a store so she can buy more outrageously large necklaces. :p

You must have spent a long time explaining your jokes then In Illinois.

She could argue that shopping is an essential activity as my wife always has.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

and where can one find one of these coffee cinnamon scones? I should like to try this tasty sounding treat?

my diabetes won’t like it but I’ve decided that seeing virus will kill us all why bother 🤷🏼‍♂️

BBBaz

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
He is not in personally in control the private contractors but he should be in charge of who is responsible for how it works. So he is ultimately responsible. It is quite simple we had the toughest restrictions and got the worst result and I am blaming Dan. Who do you want to blame for the mess?
No doubt there is blame to attach to Dan. However, I would also be blaming the individual security guards and the shonky companies that apparently did not train or prepare their personnel properly. Governments both left and right are far too trusting of private enterprises large and small. It needs to be assumed that they will screw over the tax payer time and time again.

BBBaz

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
How good are these lockdowns really?

We had a bunch of Melbournians down our way today which is a 4 hour drive from where we are and we're in a different state. Apparently they traveled down today and are or were supposed to be staying in a motel for a week in the next town up (a store owner ended up telling the motel owner). Our supermarket actually closed down for a period of time because of these idiots.
I think if you have a look at the USA or Brazil, you can see the sort of thing that can happen if lockdowns are not taken seriously.

No doubt there is blame to attach to Dan. However, I would also be blaming the individual security guards and the shonky companies that apparently did not train or prepare their personnel properly. Governments both left and right are far too trusting of private enterprises large and small. It needs to be assumed that they will screw over the tax payer time and time again.

It's worse than screwing over, their ghosting practices are fraud and/or theft.

Back