Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Now even DHHS employees via their union want 'clueless' Mikakos sacked.

After two days of questioning, which she will endure to try and keep her job..... the revelations will be too bad and she gets fired! That’s my expectation.

Even Unions have good opinions, sometimes.

After two days of questioning, which she will endure to try and keep her job..... the revelations will be too bad and she gets fired! That’s my expectation.

Even Unions have good opinions, sometimes.

The Hotels Enquiry has reached predictable farcical Yes Minister levels of obsfuscation and arse' covering.

IMO the enquiry will have no choice but to follow the emergency legislation and find DHHS accountable as the lead agency. That the law wasn't followed will be viewed as on Mikakos for not standing up for her Dept nd letting it take control as the legislation mandates.

I will say that the more this goes on the more it reeks of Andrews interfering and micro managing way out of his expertise area.

That such a critical facet of the COIVID crisis was not overseen by Sutton or an infection control expert is bizarre.

Mikakos testimony is being live streamed now .on the Age. A tough question like why Sutton wasn't put in charge as controller as the law dictates and her knowledge of it, her response is she.cant recall. Amazing recall on minor stuff though.

Mikakos testimony is being live streamed now .on the Age. A tough question like why Sutton wasn't put in charge as controller as the law dictates and her knowledge of it, her response is she.cant recall. Amazing recall on minor stuff though.
Finding a politician who can actually recall significant events is like finding a needle in a haystack

Finding a politician who can actually recall significant events is like finding a needle in a haystack

This stream is fantastic. Not that she'd needs help but The lawyer is making Mikakos look incompetent. Mikakos just threw her dept.sec under the bus Re the operational control of the the quarantine program saying she wasn't told. Totally implausible.

This stream is fantastic. Not that she'd needs help but The lawyer is making Mikakos look incompetent. Mikakos just threw her dept.sec under the bus Re the operational control of the the quarantine program saying she wasn't told. Totally implausible.
If she truly isn't being kept in the loop, then clearly she's not fit for her role. I'd love to see politicians start being called out on this "I don't recall" and "must have been someone else, I would have stopped that if I knew" bullshit

I don't think it's that implausible. Departments cut out their ministers as much as possible if they think they are rubbish.

Last edited:
I don't think it's that implausible. Departments cut out their ministers as much as possible when if they think they are rubbish.

Possibly. But in something like this I'd imagine snr bureaucrats wanting cover.

The Inquiry has Mikakos on record saying she did not even think about operational control of the quarantine program yet her immediate report, her Dept sec put in writing this was one of her Dept's three key functions.

Mikakos couldn't explain this. Amazing display of ministerial incompetence

Possibly. But in something like this I'd imagine snr bureaucrats wanting cover.

The Inquiry has Mikakos on record saying she did not even think about operational control of the quarantine program yet her immediate report, her Dept sec put in writing this was one of her Dept's three key functions.

Mikakos couldn't explain this. Amazing display of ministerial incompetence
Yeah she's pretty bad

The lack of notes, meeting transcripts and paper trail, is astounding.

I would want to fire so many of these public servants, just for the lack of proper record keeping.

Mikaikos (spelling?) surely must be fired soon. She won’t even accept that health was her department’s responsibility. The mind boggles.

The lack of notes, meeting transcripts and paper trail, is astounding.

I would want to fire so many of these public servants, just for the lack of proper record keeping.

Mikaikos (spelling?) surely must be fired soon. She won’t even accept that health was her department’s responsibility. The mind boggles.
Governments seldom sack ministers (or ask them to resign) any more. However Mikakos might be an exception.

Nothing will happen until the enquiry tables its report though. Nor should it.

Besides, if I was Andrews I'd be anticipating what the findings might be and considering who can be offered up as a sacrificial lamb. Mikakos is at the front of that queue (with Andrews himself not too far behind) so it's tactically astute to hold off on the bloodletting for now. If Mikakos goes quickly when the report is released it might just be enough to appease the mob at the gates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to amplify the motivation for the HWU's attacks on Mikakos and the government I would urge posters to just read this from the link I posted before:

"In recent years the HWU, which claims about 14,000 members, has been home to a rogues’ gallery of Labor factional hacks and is up to its neck in often toxic internal party politics.

Health Workers Union Diana Asmar has called for Ms Mikakos to resign

The Right-faction HWU was aligned to former ALP powerbroker, now independent MP, Adem Somyurek, whose recent demise after an Age investigation into branch stacking weakened the HWU and its backers.

Ms Mikakos is a senior Left-faction minister, so is a factional rival to the HWU. The timing of the letter’s release – as Ms Mikakos was about to give evidence at the hotel quarantine inquiry –lends credence to a suggestion doing the rounds in Labor circles that this was more a factional hit than anything else. The HWU, of course, disputes this.

The HWU, which was previously known as the Health Services Union No.1 branch, has long been fought over as part of sub-factional warfare in Labor’s right."

Does this exonerate Jenny Mikakos? Obviously not. But it shows how willing the corporate media is to selectively report and, by implication, demonise its targets.

Andrews has thrown Mikakos under the bus saying she was responsible. Trades Hall contradicting Mikakos.

She will be gone it's a disgrace she is still there

Gee, that Ms Illyard is a star. That was a very interesting 2 hours. Government was a shambles and it was two months after our first lockdown.

What part of his appearance didn't you like?

not specifically about today

he has stood up in front of the public time and time again and lied his a$$ off.

I’d rather him admit his errors in full at least then you could have respect for integrity.

so many in here call Trump and liar(and rightly so)but still excuse this pillock while insulting others for picking sides or the news paper they apparently read or news channels they apparently watch 😂😂😂😂

I couldn’t tell you the last time I read an Australian newspaper

Mistakes:
Security guard decision was made by who and when? Was that decision assumed but never actually made (even scarier thought)?

Eccles couldn’t recall telling the premier or any other staff member of the ADF offer of assistance. He couldn’t produce copies of forwarded emails, so it appears he made the decision without consultation.

Health department didn’t provide oversight or monitoring of quarantine. Health IS their responsibility but they didn’t even think it was. Mikakos Mikakos Mikakos.

Dan delegated to departments and probably should have micromanaged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back