Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

It's early days yet but I've just been reading a report about an encouraging - maybe even exciting - new development in treatment for Covid19 that is in the offing.

Note firstly that most of the world's efforts so far have been on public hygiene (preventing the spread) and vaccination (preventing serious illness when infected) while the actual treatment of sick patients has involved a lot of trial and error under duress as wards overflow, medical supplies dwindle and medical staff are overworked and eventually overwhelmed, often becoming ill and even dying themselves. It hasn't reached those dire levels in Australia yet but anyone who has even remotely followed the course of the pandemic over the last 15 months would recognise those scenarios from New York, Italy, Brazil and many other countries, culminating in some terrible stories coming out of India in recent weeks.

The new treatment is based on an Australian discovery back in the 1990s called "gene silencing". The idea is that an injection of nano-particles targets and destroys the Covid19 virus while leaving other healthy host cells unharmed. This gives an otherwise terminal ICU patient the chance to recover through the body's natural healing mechanisms, rather than be overwhelmed by the virus. It's not described as a "cure" but if human trials prove successful it could greatly reduce death rates. It's also something that can be mass-produced and easily transported and stored so it should work equally well in third world settings.

Having said all that I repeat it's early days. They have only tested it on mice so far where it has destroyed 99.9% of virus. If it proceeds as planned they think it should be available for human use (once approved) by early 2023.

The greater significance of the technology is that it can be readily adapted for other viruses such as flu or whatever the next big pandemic is going to be - maybe another SARS-like virus. Hopefully the world will be much better prepared next time around.

The current development work is a joint undertaking by a Griffith University (Menzies Institute) team under Professor Nigel McMillan and a US-based team. Something for Australia to be proud of and a reminder that we need to maintain high levels of funding for Australian reserach, even if some of it is pure research rather than "applied" research (ie targeted at a narrow commercial need). The original discovery came about during research on plants. Who'd have guessed it could meet an urgent global health and humanitarian need 25 years later ... and might even earn Australia a few billion dollars if it comes to fruition?

Does anyone know why we aren’t considering home quarantine with a monitoring device?

Are we scared too many will leave their home?
Are we concerned we can’t enforce criminal charges?
Are we too lazy?
Are we stupid?
Are we worried about getting them from airport to home?

Does anyone know why we aren’t considering home quarantine with a monitoring device?

Are we too lazy?
Are we stupid?
Hadn't thought about it before now. I presume you're talking about some sort of geolocation device attached to a limb (ankle, wrist).

I can think of a range of problems but surely one is that you can ascertain that somebody hasn't left the property but you can't ascertain whether anybody has been to visit them. Or whether they've been chatting over the back fence to their neighbour. Or to the postman etc.

Hadn't thought about it before now. I presume you're talking about some sort of geolocation device attached to a limb (ankle, wrist).

I can think of a range of problems but surely one is that you can ascertain that somebody hasn't left the property but you can't ascertain whether anybody has been to visit them. Or whether they've been chatting over the back fence to their neighbour. Or to the postman etc.

Agree. I don't think it's the confirmed carrier so much, it's the people around them - you can't guarantee that the carrier is isolating in their own room at home for example. Then there's always the "my human rights" brigade (i.e. "help! help! I'm being repressed).

Pretty happy we are letting all these part time aussies back in so they can infect the country again.

Dan the man will be back soon so cue the next lockdown

Will these 4 cases lead to a lockdown and no crowds at the footy this week. There must be a big chance McGowan has done it in WA with less cases and we have done it before not so much in NSW who look at every situation and take the necessary action. We are all looking forward to attending the game Friday but it is a big question mark now. Not saying a lockdown might the not be the correct call but much prefer the NSW method or wait then take the right action. I guess they can do this because their systems are so much better than ours.

Last edited:
Pretty happy we are letting all these part time aussies back in so they can infect the country again.

Dan the man will be back soon so cue the next lockdown

Pretty happy here in QLD too that both our premier and Chief Health Officer haven't bothered to have their first Covid Jab, even though they've been quite vocal in telling residents to get theirs. Great example! Would be nice for premier to act rather than spend her time criticising ScoMo at every opportunity.

Will these 4 cases lead to a lockdown and no crowds at the footy this week. There must be a big chance McGowan has done in WA with less cases and we have done it before not so much in NSW who look at every situation and take the necessary action. We are all looking forward to attending the game Friday but it us a big question mark now. Not saying a lockdown might the not be the correct call but much prefer the NSW method or wait then take the right action. I guess they can do this because their systems are so much better than ours.

Presumably it came from the man who was in hotel quarantine in Adelaide.

there is a two week gap between him coming back from Adelaide and the new cases and one of the new cases is shedding a lot apparently.

‘Very good chance of no crowds this weekend given all that.

We need as many people vaccinated ASAP- one in a million complications notwithstanding.

I'm getting jab#1 Wednesday morning. After what they did to(a certain part of) my body in hospital last week, this will be a breeze.

Allowing people to come in from any country that is rife with Covid is nothing short of negligence.

Has nothing to do with racism. ANY country that doesn’t have it under control should be banned from travelling ANYWHERE.

But they play the racism card and Scomo folded like a deck chair.

No crowds at the footy would be disappointing this week. Not just for the fans but also for the WB who finally get a home game on a Friday night and have the prospect of a capacity crowd (up to the 85% limit).

However if it's to stop a wider outbreak then that's a much bigger cause than a game of footy and we just have to cop it.

It seems likely the bloke who brought it to Vic (from Adelaide) didn't arrive in the country with it. He seems to have caught it in his final days in hotel quarantine in Adelaide.

We are slow learners. How many outbreaks have been from hotel quarantine? By contrast how many have been from spaced out 1-level quarantine facilities like Howard Springs? (Do we even have any such facilities other than the one at Howard Springs?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a complacency all levels of government have engendered. But particularly the Federal Government.

Yep. federal health ministers proclamation that we can all wait for the Pfizer vaccine being the prime example.

Well be all bankrupt after another 2 years of border closure, but at least ScoMo will be re-elected.

They said on the news it wasn’t linked to the Adelaide bloke
Can you elaborate? That's contrary to an earlier report. Seems a pretty big coincidence as they've been talking about the same part of Melbourne as the other bloke. Three related cases, one not so sure.

Where do they say (or think) it came from?

Are we too lazy?
Are we stupid?
Hotel quarantine in Victoria was in response to the poor practices of home quarantine which was the initial plan, not sure if an ankle bracelet is politically palatable to any state government.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back