Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Outbreak linked to SA hotel quarantine failure. We may end up paying the price for another governments incompetence.

Now, when are the purpose built quarantine facilities to be built? Like it’s being going for 18 months now and we are still using hotels.

Outbreak linked to SA hotel quarantine failure. We may end up paying the price for another governments incompetence.

Now, when are the purpose built quarantine facilities to be built? Like it’s being going for 18 months now and we are still using hotels.
Christmas Island / Darwin / etc.
Home quarantine and hotel quarantine haven't worked as effectively as they need to.

Seems to me a stuff up in SA letting him out and possible stuff in Victoria's contract tracing is the possible likely reason for the latest outbreak. Not to mention the slow rollout of the vaccine. We should have about 40% of the population vaccinated by now not 10%.

I just don't understand why we need a 10-day restriction period for contact tracers to do their thing when they can't even do it properly to begin with. FFS. Gonna be another rough winter in Vic.

The thing that frustrates me the most is all of 1A is vaccinated, a significant part of 1B is also vaccinated. So the highest risk folks should be covered anyway, so there shouldn't be the same reaction as historic situations like this imo.

I just don't understand why we need a 10-day restriction period for contact tracers to do their thing when they can't even do it properly to begin with. FFS. Gonna be another rough winter in Vic.

The thing that frustrates me the most is all of 1A is vaccinated, a significant part of 1B is also vaccinated. So the highest risk folks should be covered anyway, so there shouldn't be the same reaction as historic situations like this imo.

I don't understand why mask wearing & other restrictions coming back in force only start at midnight. WE've already had people out and about with the thing over a week or so - just say start wearing stuff now & fines will only apply from midnight. Stupid. And yesterday they tell people who went to Highpoint between certain hours to go and get tested & stay home - what % do you think will?

I don't understand why mask wearing & other restrictions coming back in force only start at midnight. WE've already had people out and about with the thing over a week or so - just say start wearing stuff now & fines will only apply from midnight. Stupid. And yesterday they tell people who went to Highpoint between certain hours to go and get tested & stay home - what % do you think will?
6pm, not midnight. But yes, although I suspect many will start wearing them from now anyway.

Bit rough. You get vaccinated, but still get hit with restrictions. Isn’t the whole point of vaccination to stop this happening?

Maybe AFL will start admitting only vaccinated people. Both vaccines are very effective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit rough. You get vaccinated, but still get hit with restrictions. Isn’t the whole point of vaccination to stop this happening?

Maybe AFL will start admitting only vaccinated people. Both vaccines are very effective.

You do know vaccines are to reduce the symptoms of covid?

It doesn't make you immune from it or prevent it from spreading. Happy to be wrong

I’d accept this...but I am a member.

Spread us out. Wear masks when you’re moving around. I’ll be gutted if there’s no crowds allowed.
I keep hearing that we have plenty of vaccine supplies but the uptake hasn’t been very good. When would I, a healthy 36 year old, be eligible? We need to stop wasting time and vaccinate anyone willing.

Just like to remind everyone to take a breath and recognise the sneaky mental health impact these outbreaks have on each of us individually. Be mindful of your stress levels especially if things like footy etc are taken away from you.

Quarantine in buildings not designed for it, with staff not trained in it.... and we wonder why there are outbreaks.
Seems to me a stuff up in SA letting him out and possible stuff in Victoria's contract tracing is the possible likely reason for the latest outbreak. Not to mention the slow rollout of the vaccine. We should have about 40% of the population vaccinated by now not 10%.
You will hear Federal ministers and the PM saying that hotel quarantine has been 99.9% effective. That's just spin based on a calculation that we've had X thousand people through HQ and only Y number of cases. We really need to be aiming for 100% effectiveness which I understand is what Howard Springs has achieved (please correct me if I'm wrong). Would you accept 99.9% of flights making their destination without crashing? Or traffic lights at a busy intersection showing the right colour 99.9% of the time? There are some things that need a near perfect record to be acceptable. Quarantine is one of those, considering we are talking about potentially rapid epidemic spread once it escapes.

It's not a simple matter of saying SA stuffed it up. The model is broken. I understand the current theory is that the man who brought it to Whittlesea LGA was covid-free and finishing his HQ in Adelaide but contracted it somehow in the last few days of quarantine from another person in quarantine (maybe through the airconditioning system but that's just conjecture). He appears to have tested negative on leaving but had in fact just acquired it - it's not uncommon for early tests to come back negative. So he had no idea he was infected until he became symptomatic and got re-tested back in Victoria.

Some questions do need to be asked about the contact tracing but the early report was that the CC receipt they used was unclear / unreadable. I'd have thought the bloke would surely have known which Woolies he had been to.

Agree on the rollout delays. Four Corners covered that last night. We should have done better, but it is what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back