footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
"The government you elect is the government you deserve." - Thomas Jefferson.

It's hard to reconcile though when you don't vote for (or preference) the ****ers (of either major stripe), and I know Jefferson's quote is a collective "you", but I'm shaking my fist in fury at Canberra* this week. (Well, most weeks, if I'm honest.)

* dogwatch is exempted from my Canberra-directed invective

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Victorian Covid Bill passed.

Victoria’s ombudsman Deborah Glass has backed the state government’s pandemic bill, saying she is now “satisfied” with the safeguards included.

So, the independent ombudsman is satisfied…. No need for any more protests?!?!?

Victorian Covid Bill passed.

Victoria’s ombudsman Deborah Glass has backed the state government’s pandemic bill, saying she is now “satisfied” with the safeguards included.

So, the independent ombudsman is satisfied…. No need for any more protests?!?!?
Totally missing the point of the protests. For example, the inequality of the vaccine "mandates". Public servants who are unvaccinated are drawing salary and full benefits. Contractors performing similar duties are laid off without pay. You need to understand the bigger picture.

Totally missing the point of the protests. For example, the inequality of the vaccine "mandates". Public servants who are unvaccinated are drawing salary and full benefits. Contractors performing similar duties are laid off without pay. You need to understand the bigger picture.
Unvaccinated public servants are being given "show cause" letters which is the beginning of the process to terminate them if they won't comply with the CHO directives. Some have already been terminated or have resigned. The small number who are unvaccinated will need to do so pretty much immediately.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's hard to reconcile though when you don't vote for (or preference) the ****ers (of either major stripe), and I know Jefferson's quote is a collective "you", but I'm shaking my fist in fury at Canberra* this week. (Well, most weeks, if I'm honest.)

* dogwatch is exempted from my Canberra-directed invective
That’s right. From the Greens to the Nationals they are all a disgrace at the moment. Feds and state.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
That’s right. From the Greens to the Nationals they are all a disgrace at the moment. Feds and state.

I have some faith that a (very) few still retain the vestiges of a moral compass (mainly female members - funny that), but too many have swanned into elected office on a gilt-edged path through their respective party processes, guaranteeing them a position at the trough, without any exposure to the challenges that the majority of the population have to face in their daily lives. The separation from reality is highlighted by examples (just a random one from recent days) such as anyone over 65 not being eligible for NDIS for no reason other than their age.
Jackie Lambie is not my go-to pollie by any means, but by hell I've enjoyed her diatribes of late, at least calling out the vacuosness, insincerity and general self-serving mutual masturbation carried out by the majority of our current politicians.

I feel the same about Lambie. Definitely don’t agree with some of her stances but I love her directness, transparency and willingness to stand up to tackle sacred cow issues.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What have the Greens done recently that you disapprove of? I know you won't respond to this.
Firstly Ratman has sided with Dan and given him much too much power, and we wonder what she got for that??
And good old Lidia Thorp has just said probably the most disgusting thing ever in the federal senate. Telling a Liberal senator “she should’ve kept her legs shut” and she would not have had a autistic child! She has finally backtracked, something she never does but does her party ever call her out?

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I feel the same about Lambie. Definitely don’t agree with some of her stances but I love her directness, transparency and willingness to stand up to tackle sacred cow issues.

We need more Lambies with varied opinions and lived experience in all Aust parliaments, our representatives should be "representative", and as you say, transparent.
We also need a federal ICAC/IBAC, complete transparency of donations big or small, and politicians who are wholly accountable to their constituents.

Sadly, I have been hoping for such enhancements for decades now, but maybe there is change on the horizon.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Firstly Ratman has sided with Dan and given him much too much power, and we wonder what she got for that??
And good old Lidia Thorp has just said probably the most disgusting thing ever in the federal senate. Telling a Liberal senator “she should’ve kept her legs shut” and she would not have had a autistic child! She has finally backtracked, something she never does but does her party ever call her out?

Slight hyperbole. Disgusting - yes. Excusable - no. Did she actually reference the senator's child? Everyone is drawing an inference - but when the same inferences are drawn against Dutton or Van or the like, everyone is up in arms. Senator is not exactly a clean skin when it comes to dishing out insults anyway. If everyone is drawing inferences from Thorp's comment, then inferences should be applied across the board.
FWIW I think it's disgusting of any of them to reference families, but as they carry on like petulant children most of the time, the parliament really needs a stricter behavioural code, as they constantly embarrass themselves. 'Voluntarily' withdrawing remarks so they are technically removed from Hansard, but still stand as spoken with no penalty is a joke. But the pollies will never vote en masse for a stricter code - self interest wins again.

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

So, after many hollow protestations that you are non-aligned and don't have any preference for any party your true colours are obvious. (And don't bother with that you voted for Hawke malarkey).

Anti-Labor, Anti-Greens and anti anyone progressive -- your chief behemoth being Daniel Andrews.

As for "said probably the most disgusting thing ever in the federal senate" your prism of perception seems to blur out repugnant right-wing tirades,
vis: the disgusting comments on Julia Gillard, Leyonhjelm's misogynistic rant to Sarah Hanson-Young, Hanson's racist rants (starting with Asians and shifting to Muslims), Fraser Anning (bring back the White Australia policy, "final solution" for immigration problems), just to highlight a few.

Last edited:

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Really?!?!?
The most repugnant thing!!!! Much less tame than the things said to and about Gillard. Not even in the same ballpark as said to the Greens senators over the years. Those words I am unable to type on this forum.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

I don't think women should be shamed about their sexuality but its hardly the most disgusting thing ever. In fact, it only becomes disgusting when you add your own inference to it. The quote itself was pretty tame. But if you add your own context and inferences then you can make any comment seem abhorrent.

The actual quote, as reported, was: "At least I keep my legs shut."

Let's apply a bit of critical thinking to deduce the context here. If she were referencing having children that would make no sense at all because she does, in fact, have three children of her own. If you actually do a bit of reading you'll see that Thorpe's comment was followed by this: “I’m happy to retract, Mr President. I just got a view of something over there that disturbed me. But I’m happy to retract.” The only way I can interpret this was that Hughes literally had her legs open and was exposing herself to members of the senate. That is actually a serious crime if true. But as you conservatives love to do you, you misquote, make inferences and invent false context so that you can play the victim and be indignant. You're happy to take the side of a sex offender if they inhabit the same side of politics as you. That's the most disgusting thing I've seen on this forum.

Last edited:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I stand by it as the worst thing ever said in the senate, and am surprised it is defended or deflected.

Hahaha - seriously. Defended?! Where? Deflected? Try "compared". Do you have knowledge of EVERY insult ever made in the Senate?

I was going to write something similar to what The Buck wrote, but thought I'd give you one final benefit of the doubt. You are, and have been all along, posting along completely partisan lines. Not a surprise really. Explains pretty much all your posting.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Really?!?!?
The most repugnant thing!!!! Much less tame than the things said to and about Gillard. N..

Come on, LittleG, what was ever said in the Senate about Gillard that even approaches derision of a woman having given birth to an autistic child ?

Last edited:

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Come on, LittleG, what was ever said in the Senate about Gillard that even approaches derision of a woman having given birth to an autistic child ?

When was an autistic child mentioned?

I will make this easy for you. It wasn’t in her quote. How bad do you blokes look to be making this shite up?

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
You are, and have been all along, posting along completely partisan lines.

Hello, kettle, meet pot. Freshwater's a voice in the wilderness, partisan's hardly the appropriate adjective. He's to be applauded for standing up for his views, despite the pile ons. You are ordinarily very balanced. Be careful of the company you are now in.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
When was an autistic child mentioned?

I will make this easy for you. It wasn’t in her quote. How bad do you blokes look to be making this sh*te up?

Go back a few posts, look at the "if". I accept what Freshwater says, he/she's not prone to dishonest comments like a couple of your barrackers. Take my post-3,209 post comments in that light but, in the meantime, what are these comments made in the Senate about Gillard that are so bad ?

Last edited:

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Go back a few posts, look at the "if". I accept what Freshwater says, he/she's not prone to dishonest comments like a couple of your barrackers. Take my post 3,209 post comments in that light but, in the meantime, what are these comments made in the Senate about Gillard that are so bad ?

What happened to the “ look what they do , not what they say “ mantra ?
Gee that pearl of wisdom has aged well 🤣

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Go back a few posts, look at the "if". I accept what Freshwater says, he/she's not prone to dishonest comments like a couple of your barrackers. Take my post 3,209 post comments in that light but, in the meantime, what are these comments made in the Senate about Gillard that are so bad ?

I will take your point of order that I mentioned comments in the Senate towards Gillard that were made in the House. You wish to ignore what was said to Sarah Hansen-Young (I think that was her name) and Bob Brown, etc.

Now, how about you come to terms with the fact the quote never mentioned an autistic child. It’s quite poor that people add words to make things more offensive. I would have thought calling someone a **** or xxxxxx or a campaigner or combining them would easily be far worse than this quote.

Back