Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually surprised they decided for the games to go ahead. Think its a bit dumb personally but it’ll give me something to watch this weekend at least.

He pretty much said that the moment there is one case they suspend the season.

I hope they agree with the players on drastic measures (tied to higher payments) surrounding self isolation.

My wife and kids have gone to Port Fairy to escape the virus. I may not see them for many weeks. To fill in the hours I shall keep a plague diary. Here is episode one. I'll provide some links in the comments section below. It's a long read so if you're hard of thinking please skip to the next post:

By design or incompetence, the government CoVid-19 policy consists of mass infection & subsequent herd immunity. Here's why:

I live opposite a railway station. For the first time I can remember on a weekday, there were empty spaces at the station car park. I could see that there were many commuters on the passing trains. They weren't crammed in to the gills as usual, but they were sitting side by side on seats. That's not social distancing.

I arrived for work at school and attended a staff meeting at 8:30am. At the meeting we were told that after school professional development sessions (aka meetings) were banned. Around the table no-one used hand sanitiser or practiced social distancing. At the end of the school day we didn't have a meeting, but had a group meditation instead, where someone handed round a box of lollies that almost everyone reached into before passing it on.

My wife Alice texted me to tell me that there was a Prime Minister's press conference on at 9am. Whilst teaching a sports session to the Preps, I covertly listened to our dear leader telling us that schools had to stay open to avoid costing "tens of thousands of jobs".

"The impact on the availability of health workers? A 30 per cent impact on the availability of health workers is our advice. That will put people's lives at risk," Mr Morrison said.

As he was speaking, I was watching my five year old charges practice the opposite of social distancing. Kids this age push, hug, wrestle, jostle and play fight. No adult is going to stop that for more than two minutes.

"So let's keep our heads as parents when it comes to this."

Jobs only matter to the living.

There was a bottle of hand sanitiser at the front desk at school, and I had one in my pocket, but no student had one. At lunchtime, I suggested they wash their hands; about four out of fifteen ran their hands under the cold water from the drinking fountains for about 10 seconds. The rest ignored me.

Many went to the toilet throughout the day. I don't even know if there's any soap or hand towels in there. I try to avoid the kids' school toilets at the best of times, they look & smell like something from the last hours of a particularly loose music festival. Kids don't practice good hygiene; kids don't practice any sort of hygiene.

Throughout the day they were touching not only each other, but the playground equipment, their schoolbooks, desks, door handles etc. The idea that kids can't get CoVid-19 seems bizarre. They might show less symptoms, but who ever heard of a disease that only targets adults? Can you think of a single example of a human illness that is only suffered by adults? Why would a virus behave like this? A recent small study suggested that it can remain viable in kiddy s**t for two weeks, even if the child is symptomless.

Studies also suggest that Co-Vid-19 can survive on plastic and stainless steel surfaces for two to three days. If that's the case schools will soon be hiving with the stuff, if they aren't already

Watching the parents pick up their children at the end of the day I observed no social distancing, between fellow parents or the milling students.

This evening, I took a walk around the streets of my inner-northern Melbourne suburb of Preston. It wasn't as busy as usual, but it was far from a ghost town.

Several massage shops were open - how should one practice social distancing when receiving or giving a massage?

There were four bars and restaurants operating; none of the patrons seemed to be practicing any form of social distancing.

I popped my head into the local pokies joint. The restaurant was fairly busy and there were a few patrons in the gaming room. Given that the virus can live on plastic surfaces for days, one imagines that the play buttons on a machine must harbour the microscopic in vast numbers. Ker-ching!

I then went up to Woolies supermarket on Plenty Road. Many shelves were empty, but not enough to deter shoppers from frantic buying. The checkout staff weren't wearing gloves, or used hand sanitiser between transactions. No-one cleaned the eftpos machines or self-service checkouts. There was no effort at social distancing.

I walked up Plenty Road and stopped for a whiskey at my local. The bartender handled my cash, poured my drink before moving onto the next customer. I met a friend and sat outside in the smoking section, where a large group was crammed into the corner.

I watched people use ATMs and climb aboard trams which could be harbouring the virus. Does that sound alarmist? Science doesn't agree.

If you're practicing social distancing, that's great and I don't want to deter you. However, a large part of the population are not. Schoolkids most definitely are not. They won't while they are at school, or anywhere outside the home. Kids don't come straight home from school and leap into bed. They are a part of the community. Keeping the schools open won't isolate them.

"Oh but Singapore kept the schools going...." some may say. Yeah nah but....Singapore's approach is very different to ours. Diametrically opposed. Read about it in this NY Times article (see below.). Stereotypically, Singapore is a more conformist society than us freedom-loving Aussies. Or should that be community minded, in contrast to our selfish individualism?

I am resigned to catching CoVid-19. I could quit my teaching job and isolate at home. But that would mean someone else would have to go in and replace me. What if that person has underlying health issues or elderly parents? I'm a reasonably healthy forty-six year old. We're in a quasi-wartime situation, and if the powers that be want the schools open, I consider it my duty to turn up and look after your kids. I hope I can avoid serious complications and a hospital visit.

If you want to avoid catching the illness, stay away from me. I'm not bothering to socially isolate. There seems little point. If the government was really serious about this illness, there would be health officials on the streets monitoring our pathetic hygiene practices. They are leaving it up to individuals to do what they think is best, in true small-government neo-liberal fashion. It's not enough.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/progra...-kids-poo-teach-us-about-coronavirus/12061284 (from 7 mins in)

I’m f*cked boys, stuck OS and no way to get home for at least 10 days at this point. The fortunate part is me being overseas was as a result of my employment so my job should be okay. Will update.

I am considering starting my own thread so you can monitor by sanity.
I am kind of f*cked but in a different way to you mate. My daughter who is 21 years old is stranded in Madrid. She wants to stay bu the place is in full lockdown and it does not appear to abate. she has to study but online which to me she might as well be here. For her it is an adventure and good on her. to me I am just a worrying dad. My wife is kind of the same. Travel insurance does not cover her in pandemics (but am not sure). So just talked to her and sent her some information. she is quite aware of what is going on. she has good friends, but anyway. Not sure how to proceed atm. seeing the travel agent tomorrow to find out what to do next. Anyway, just a post. having a beautiful malt whiskey as I post. it kind of helps. I want my baby home, but I also want her to enjoy her freedom and explore the world. GO DOGS!!!

I am kind of f*cked but in a different way to you mate. My daughter who is 21 years old is stranded in Madrid. She wants to stay bu the place is in full lockdown and it does not appear to abate. she has to study but online which to me she might as well be here. For her it is an adventure and good on her. to me I am just a worrying dad. My wife is kind of the same. Travel insurance does not cover her in pandemics (but am not sure). So just talked to her and sent her some information. she is quite aware of what is going on. she has good friends, but anyway. Not sure how to proceed atm. seeing the travel agent tomorrow to find out what to do next. Anyway, just a post. having a beautiful malt whiskey as I post. it kind of helps. I want my baby home, but I also want her to enjoy her freedom and explore the world. GO DOGS!!!
That’s terrible, I feel for you. Wishing her and you all the luck in the world.

My wife and kids have gone to Port Fairy to escape the virus. I may not see them for many weeks. To fill in the hours I shall keep a plague diary. Here is episode one. I'll provide some links in the comments section below. It's a long read so if you're hard of thinking please skip to the next post:

By design or incompetence, the government CoVid-19 policy consists of mass infection & subsequent herd immunity. Here's why:

I live opposite a railway station. For the first time I can remember on a weekday, there were empty spaces at the station car park. I could see that there were many commuters on the passing trains. They weren't crammed in to the gills as usual, but they were sitting side by side on seats. That's not social distancing.

I arrived for work at school and attended a staff meeting at 8:30am. At the meeting we were told that after school professional development sessions (aka meetings) were banned. Around the table no-one used hand sanitiser or practiced social distancing. At the end of the school day we didn't have a meeting, but had a group meditation instead, where someone handed round a box of lollies that almost everyone reached into before passing it on.

My wife Alice texted me to tell me that there was a Prime Minister's press conference on at 9am. Whilst teaching a sports session to the Preps, I covertly listened to our dear leader telling us that schools had to stay open to avoid costing "tens of thousands of jobs".

"The impact on the availability of health workers? A 30 per cent impact on the availability of health workers is our advice. That will put people's lives at risk," Mr Morrison said.

As he was speaking, I was watching my five year old charges practice the opposite of social distancing. Kids this age push, hug, wrestle, jostle and play fight. No adult is going to stop that for more than two minutes.

There was a bottle of hand sanitiser at the front desk at school, and I had one in my pocket, but no student had one. At lunchtime, I suggested they wash their hands; about four out of fifteen ran their hands under the cold water from the drinking fountains for about 10 seconds. The rest ignored me.

Many went to the toilet throughout the day. I don't even know if there's any soap or hand towels in there. I try to avoid the kids' school toilets at the best of times, they look & smell like something from the last hours of a particularly loose music festival. Kids don't practice good hygiene; kids don't practice any sort of hygiene.

Throughout the day they were touching not only each other, but the playground equipment, their schoolbooks, desks, door handles etc. The idea that kids can't get CoVid-19 seems bizarre. They might show less symptoms, but who ever heard of a disease that only targets adults? Can you think of a single example of a human illness that is only suffered by adults? Why would a virus behave like this? A recent small study suggested that it can remain viable in kiddy s**t for two weeks, even if the child is symptomless.

Studies also suggest that Co-Vid-19 can survive on plastic and stainless steel surfaces for two to three days. If that's the case schools will soon be hiving with the stuff, if they aren't already

Watching the parents pick up their children at the end of the day I observed no social distancing, between fellow parents or the milling students.

This evening, I took a walk around the streets of my inner-northern Melbourne suburb of Preston. It wasn't as busy as usual, but it was far from a ghost town.

Several massage shops were open - how should one practice social distancing when receiving or giving a massage?

There were four bars and restaurants operating; none of the patrons seemed to be practicing any form of social distancing.

I popped my head into the local pokies joint. The restaurant was fairly busy and there were a few patrons in the gaming room. Given that the virus can live on plastic surfaces for days, one imagines that the play buttons on a machine must harbour the microscopic in vast numbers. Ker-ching!

I then went up to Woolies supermarket on Plenty Road. Many shelves were empty, but not enough to deter shoppers from frantic buying. The checkout staff weren't wearing gloves, or used hand sanitiser between transactions. No-one cleaned the eftpos machines or self-service checkouts. There was no effort at social distancing.

I walked up Plenty Road and stopped for a whiskey at my local. The bartender handled my cash, poured my drink before moving onto the next customer. I met a friend and sat outside in the smoking section, where a large group was crammed into the corner.

I watched people use ATMs and climb aboard trams which could be harbouring the virus. Does that sound alarmist? Science doesn't agree.

If you're practicing social distancing, that's great and I don't want to deter you. However, a large part of the population are not. Schoolkids most definitely are not. They won't while they are at school, or anywhere outside the home. Kids don't come straight home from school and leap into bed. They are a part of the community. Keeping the schools open won't isolate them.

"Oh but Singapore kept the schools going...." some may say. Yeah nah but....Singapore's approach is very different to ours. Diametrically opposed. Read about it in this NY Times article (see below.). Stereotypically, Singapore is a more conformist society than us freedom-loving Aussies. Or should that be community minded, in contrast to our selfish individualism?

I am resigned to catching CoVid-19. I could quit my teaching job and isolate at home. But that would mean someone else would have to go in and replace me. What if that person has underlying health issues or elderly parents? I'm a reasonably healthy forty-six year old. We're in a quasi-wartime situation, and if the powers that be want the schools open, I consider it my duty to turn up and look after your kids. I hope I can avoid serious complications and a hospital visit.

If you want to avoid catching the illness, stay away from me. I'm not bothering to socially isolate. There seems little point. If the government was really serious about this illness, there would be health officials on the streets monitoring our pathetic hygiene practices. They are leaving it up to individuals to do what they think is best, in true small-government neo-liberal fashion. It's not enough.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/progra...-kids-poo-teach-us-about-coronavirus/12061284 (from 7 mins in)

It's only a matter of time before it gets to the south-west tbh. We have already had a few people get tested around the region, but results were negative.

Ameet Baines on SEN earlier. Talking about the Dogs as a club having already let go of a lot of staff. Assuming it’s a lot of back office and admin, possibly some trainers, sports science people etc. Do we think that will have big impact on us as a team? As well as other clubs that usually struggle for a dollar?
A little concerning imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a fleeting moment I went back to how it was before the pandemic. My fear of uncertainty about the impacts of the virus was overtaken by a fear of uncertainty about how we'll go on Friday night!! Majority of tipsters in HS picked the Pies - and worse of all Kiss Of Death picked us.

Couldn’t imagine not having my kids close even though they are apparently safer than anybody.

Hope she is safe and well and gets home soon mate

A couple of sobering "top 10" charts for today (source www.worldometers.info snapshot at 0900 today).

1584574853519.png
Australia still on a rate of around 20% daily increase (24.2% yesterday). Right up there in the big league. That's very concerning. The recent attempts to ramp up social distancing and eliminate mass gatherings will help but the effects probably won't be noticeable for a week or three.

1584574700520.png
Indonesia is very high because they went from 7 deaths to 19, an increase of 12. It may be an anomaly due to the small total
numbers but will need to be watched. San Marino is a small principality in mid-north Italy so they reflect what's going on around them.

Naturally these numbers only reflect what the countries are reporting. Reports from China, Iran, etc are probably less reliable than those from the USA, UK and Europe. I think I read somewhere that Sweden will stop reporting, which is bizarre if true. And of course underlying all that is the problem that all countries (including Australia) can only do limited formal testing so who knows what the real number of infections is. Certainly much more than the number of "cases".

Last edited:
Ameet Baines on SEN earlier. Talking about the Dogs as a club having already let go of a lot of staff. Assuming it’s a lot of back office and admin, possibly some trainers, sports science people etc. Do we think that will have big impact on us as a team? As well as other clubs that usually struggle for a dollar?
A little concerning imo
Most clubs are letting their casual recruiting staff go and making their permanent recruiting staff take annual leave - no junior games so there's nothing to analyse.

Most clubs are letting their casual recruiting staff go and making their permanent recruiting staff take annual leave - no junior games so there's nothing to analyse.
This sort of thing is happening across most industries. Stand down arrangements are OK for a month or so but not if it goes on for 6-18 months.

Unemployment is going to soar. Hard times coming for everyone.

Qantas staff have been encouraged to apply for jobs at Woolies by CEO Joyce this morning.

Nothing wrong with Woolies (apart from lack of stock) but hoping
similar suggestions are not to Brisdog who is currently unable to receive work emails.

Unfortunate for those in those roles.

A mate of mine was picked up as a scout for the dogs this off season. Hopefully they offer them the same roles when the financial backing picks up a bit.

Great post.

Agree. We are f’d!!!!

We will all quarantine in the countryside where we live. No point me running my small business (travel agency), when there is no one calling.

For a fleeting moment I went back to how it was before the pandemic. My fear of uncertainty about the impacts of the virus was overtaken by a fear of uncertainty about how we'll go on Friday night!! Majority of tipsters in HS picked the Pies - and worse of all Kiss Of Death picked us.
With the team we have tomorrow night, we should smash them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back