Coronavirus/COVID-19

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don’t care what colour you are if you are “protesting” with a complete face covering you are not there for any other reason other than to cause trouble.

This crap has nothing to do with Mr Floyd now, as I’ve said several times it doesn’t matter who leads the US they are a basket case

Where was your post about the masked protesters who stormed the Michigan Government house?
They were armed, wore masks, carried semi-automatic weapons and forced their way into the building....

Just making that point.

As for these race riots. There are too many people who play the victim in modern times. The US has a massive problem with guns and violence. Police kill both black, white and hispanics. It’s a major issue with their forces culture. About half of those dismissed from the force get rehired within a few years. Until they do something about their gun laws and culture of violence, this will keep happening. Republicans take far too much money from the gun lobby and will never change things.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Don’t care what colour you are if you are “protesting” with a complete face covering you are not there for any other reason other than to cause trouble.

This crap has nothing to do with Mr Floyd now, as I’ve said several times it doesn’t matter who leads the US.....
Quite right. A black bloke gets shot in Minnesota. Within a day or so, there’s burning, looting, shootings, mob rule all over the country such that the National Guard is called out and Trumpie threatens to call out the Military, here’s a thought, under the Alliance, do we have to send in the SAS ? That this is about black lives matter is nonsense, for that matter, perhaps that whole movement is. Blacks make up around 13 % of the population [U][URL]https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/IPE120218 [/U][/URL]

around 22 % of Police killings are Blacks, that’s 85% more than the population proportion. On the other hand, 78 % of police killings are non blacks. Will anyone support my White/Hispanic/Asian/Sub-Continental lives matter movement ? If so, contact LittleG, he has a paypal accountto contribute to. Please make out cheques to the Mitchell Drinking Fund.

(a) more than 50 % of murder victims are blacks, the US Police kill less than half the number of blacks that the ono police community do
(b) blacks convicted of homicide deaths are 315 % more than their proportion, ssexual assault 404 %, criminal assault 274 %
[U][URL]https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J076v30n01_01?journalCode=wjor20[/U] [/URL]

Blacks are over represented in Police killings but they are also far more over represented in murders, as both victims and perpetrators, particularly as perpetrators, and other violent crime.

For the statistically minded and interested enough to look beyond the headlines (I don’t blame you if you aren’t, this is a footy forum, bored and all as we all are, it’s on the other side of the World and it’s those world joke Americans), at great expense to the author poster, below find set out figures that break up police killings into 3 racial/ethnic categories, Whites, Black, Hispanics for the years 2017 – 2019. Until bigfooty introduces Excell friendly software or I get beyond the quill and ink, I can’t guarantee it’ll line up. In summary, though. Whites make up around 76 % of Americans, Blacks, 13 % and Hispanics 18 %. Of those the Cops kill, around 40 % are White, 22 % are Blacks (around 185 % more than the statistically expected) and around 16 %, Hispanic.

year total deaths w b h
76% 13% 18%

2017 987 46 % 22 % 18 %
2018 996 40 % 22 % 14 %
2019 1006 37 % 23 % 16 %

[URL]https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/[/URL]

USA is as far from being a basket case as you can get.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Quite right. A black bloke gets shot in Minnesota. Within a day or so, there’s burning, looting, shootings, mob rule all over the country such that the National Guard is called out and Trumpie threatens to call out the Military, here’s a thought, under the Alliance, do we have to send in the SAS ? That this is about black lives matter is nonsense, for that matter, perhaps that whole movement is. Blacks make up around 13 % of the population [U][URL]https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/IPE120218 [/U][/URL]

around 22 % of Police killings are Blacks, that’s 85% more than the population proportion. On the other hand, 78 % of police killings are non blacks. Will anyone support my White/Hispanic/Asian/Sub-Continental lives matter movement ? If so, contact LittleG, he has a paypal accountto contribute to. Please make out cheques to the Mitchell Drinking Fund.

(a) more than 50 % of murder victims are blacks, the US Police kill less than half the number of blacks that the ono police community do
(b) blacks convicted of homicide deaths are 315 % more than their proportion, ssexual assault 404 %, criminal assault 274 %
[U][URL]https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J076v30n01_01?journalCode=wjor20[/U] [/URL]

Blacks are over represented in Police killings but they are also far more over represented in murders, as both victims and perpetrators, particularly as perpetrators, and other violent crime.

For the statistically minded and interested enough to look beyond the headlines (I don’t blame you if you aren’t, this is a footy forum, bored and all as we all are, it’s on the other side of the World and it’s those world joke Americans), at great expense to the author poster, below find set out figures that break up police killings into 3 racial/ethnic categories, Whites, Black, Hispanics for the years 2017 – 2019. Until bigfooty introduces Excell friendly software or I get beyond the quill and ink, I can’t guarantee it’ll line up. In summary, though. Whites make up around 76 % of Americans, Blacks, 13 % and Hispanics 18 %. Of those the Cops kill, around 40 % are White, 22 % are Blacks (around 185 % more than the statistically expected) and around 16 %, Hispanic.

year total deaths w b h
76% 13% 18%

2017 987 46 % 22 % 18 %
2018 996 40 % 22 % 14 %
2019 1006 37 % 23 % 16 %

[URL]https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/[/URL]

USA is as far from being a basket case as you can get.

Drink fund will be spent wisely.... only the good stuff.

Racism exists.... sometimes it isn’t as it appears.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
agree with this, america seems like they are in a serious mess, looks from the outside that they are falling apart at the seams

This stuff was on the nightly news for most of the late '60s to the mid '70s, Vietnam, Civil Rights and Kennedy era. America's gene pool is made up of the best of the World. No wonder it's so good. Aus is heading in the same direction.

Only 207 looting days til Christmas.
Was it wrong of me to ask a poster on an American site who lives in Minneapolis to pick me up a new MacBook?

A Current Affair is a disgusting show, doing everything they can to blame or point the finger at Trump.

The man is a buffoon but he is not the first President to have “race riots” and won’t be the last.

Is it ok to ask where the “race riots” were when the coloured policeman shot Justine Damond? Or is that racist to even ask that question?

There has NEVER been a year in US history were police have killed more coloured people than white people

The US has a systematic police brutality and excessive force issue that has nothing to do with race or creed. The amount of people killed by cops in the US is astounding

"Coloured? Coloured?" What is this, 1968? If so, I'd better get ready for prom.

Was it wrong of me to ask a poster on an American site who lives in Minneapolis to pick me up a new MacBook?

And a Gucci carry bag for it.

Seriously, I really doubt that the people "acquiring" high end fashion items would have any place nice to wear them to or that they'd even go close to fitting.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
"Coloured? Coloured?" What is this, 1968? If so, I'd better get ready for prom.

This is made out to be a white versus everyone else issue so if white is one side then people of colour are the other are they not? That would include Hispanic and Black people As you suggest I refer to them as I believe.

I personally find it distasteful to use the moniker “black” but that’s just me I guess.

Last edited:
This is made out to be a white versus everyone else issue so if white is one side then people of colour are the other are they not? That would include Hispanic and Black people

I personally find it distasteful to use the moniker “black but that’s just me I guess
There is a difference between saying "coloured people" and "people of colour" in the US. I presumed you knew that, old man. ;)

Bad phrasing on my part good sir, I apologise most humbly
I shall let it pass, just this once.

My dad, who would have been 96 this year, used to use the term "colored people" because that was the term he grew up with since it was considered "polite" way back when. He never used the "N" word. My mum, who was a bit more sensitive, especially in her later years, used to get mad at dad for using that term and would sarcastically interrupt him by asking," Which color, purple?" Different times. :)

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
My point is was that all things aren’t race wars.

The US need to concentrate on police deaths as a while but just a single race issue.

Sorry I will respectfully disagree, thinking the US isn’t a basket case right now only needs a five min viewing of what’s going on over there now to show how far off the scale they are on many many levels

No worries. I'm an IT luddite. I'll have corrected my post since you responded, but nothing of substance has changed.

Appreciate respect. Right back at you. We should watch and draw from the errors the US makes, as we did at Federation. Their heritage is 170 years older. The mistake we make is expecting them to be like us. If you are puzzled by their system of Government, look at the political system in Britain in 1620 when the Pilgrims landed, a King rather than a constitutional Monarch, a President rather than a Governor General. It's 380 years ago and I am mystified by why they haven't learned in all that time, but they haven't. I'm sure that our attitudes have their genesis in our convict beginnings. To be clear, my ancestors were not criminals - Political

There's no objective standard in any of this. The closest you can come to is the Bible, but even there, an 'eye for an eye' is different from 'love thy neighbour'. It's that different. I've spent years on a different forum arguing with American Republicans, no, Americans, about their Gun Laws. What is as obvious as day to me confuses them and I can't understand the logic of their position. I have American relatives, we've had firearm debates at Christmas Dinner, how sacred is that ? Americans are different but they are great people.

Last edited:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Drink fund will be spent wisely.... only the good stuff.

Racism exists.... sometimes it isn’t as it appears.

Bushmills Sngle Malt 10 years the minimum. Connemara Peated Single Malt preferred.

What we call racism is what Yanks call norm. Mind you ...aw I'll save it for another response or another threadl

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I shall let it pass, just this once.

My dad, who would have been 96 this year, used to use the term "colored people" because that was the term he grew up with since it was considered "polite" way back when. He never used the "N" word. My mum, who was a bit more sensitive, especially in her later years, used to get mad at dad for using that term and would sarcastically interrupt him by asking," Which color, purple?" Different times. :)

...and different traditions. It's not for us to be casting the first stone. You '70s Chalkies filled a gap, mixed in, were contributors, so courteous, respectful and well mannered. Then again, you might have been different.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Yeah I understand your feelings on Dan Andrews/ALP and I don't agree to be totally honest, on the pandemic he's been pretty clear and calm in how he's acted, as have most politicians in Australia through this time, which I found personally quite uplifting. I also think your laying a lot on his plate, that exists outside of the scope of control in a pandemic, in terms of the budget and I don't know if i have the same fear of debt.

The belt and road project I don't have strong feeling towards either but I think there is a bit of an over exaggeration of the dangers of China, they've become a sort of bogey man for Australian politics. Are they trying to exert soft power throughout Australia? absolutely. Do they exercise that power at times in ways I find to be distasteful and disruptive ? for sure. However the deal that Victoria is able to parse out probably will be relatively neutral for us, certaintly you could point to China's overseas record in some countries like Sri Lanka or Kenya which are undeniably bad but australia also has more relative bargaining power compared to those countries and China has differnt motivations when it comes to us. I think in general there's a tenancy to look at global politics as too black and white, I don't love China and they almost certainly are looking out for their own interest in these deals, I also have many qualms and worries about their internal politics. However the underlying assumption that any deal with China is a inherently negetive one seems like it's an unsustainable position and certainly not one that's born out in any reality by any of the Labour and Liberal governments in Australia despite the postering that often attempts to indicate otherwise . In reality I think global interaction and trade often brings countries into more harmonious interactions with each other, the world is not a zero sum game and China is not an exception.

I understood where the nickname came from and all in all thought it's a bit of a gimmicky name but thats politics for ya! I was just really old originally commenting on the language element sounding better but thought I may as well dip my toe in the water of constructive debate as I have some time to kill today. :)

I don't have any feelings for Andrews, other than disappointment with someone who should have been better and concern for the touch of megalomania in his psyche, well, perhaps a bit more than a touch. I don't share your benign view of CPP influence, skepticism shared by just about every World leader of a democracy. Talk to any older Vietnamese or Eastern European refugee/immigrant or anyone who has lived under a Communist Regime. Look at what is happening in the South China Sea, Africa, the Pacific Region or Antarctica. Keep your toe in the water and join in. It's more what you learn from the debate than what you post.

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't have any feelings for Andrews, other than disappointment with someone who should have been better and concern for the touch of megalomania in his psyche, well, perhaps a bit more than a touch. I don't share your benign view of CPP influence, skepticism shared by just about every World leader of a democracy. Talk to any older Vietnamese or Eastern European refugee/immigrant or anyone who has lived under a Communist Regime. Look at what is happening in the South China Sea, Africa, the Pacific Region or Antarctica. Keep your toe in the water and join in. It's more what you learn from the debate than what you post.

On the other hand, talk to any Chilean or Indonesian who managed to live through the Pinochet and Suharto slaughters of people who only wanted to live in a democratic country. Or, the Filipinos who had to suffer the Marcos regime, or the Greeks who lived through military dictatorship -- all with the rubber stamp of the good ol' USA.

As for Vietnam: ever heard of the Pentagon Papers?

You sentimentally hark back to an apple pie America when there was relatively full employment, when the economy was regulated, when unions had real power in the workplace, when the average young person could get a decent and affordable university which no longer exists. Once the military/industrial complex (remember Eisenhower's parting speech?) and the Republican right and its idealogues got its claws into the US economy and really stripped it bare, especially with the rise of neocons from Reagan onward, what is left? Industrial graveyards all around the nation, a generation of young people indebted for decades to come, a bloated private health system unable to serve tens of millions of people and a rapacious financial sector hardly accountable for its insidious greed which nearly brought down the whole world economy in 2008 and shows no signs reform or even culpability. Meanwhile, the country has the highest per capita numbers of people in prison.

The platform the Eisenhower government, if promulgated today, would no doubt be seen by Fox News et al, as dangerous left wing treachery.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

China isn’t a communist country. It’s authoritarian capitalist but not communist. There is a big BIG difference.

Back in the ‘80’s it was different but now it’s communist in name only.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On the other hand, talk to any Chilean or Indonesian who managed to live through the Pinochet and Suharto slaughters of people who only wanted to live in a democratic country. Or, the Filipinos who had to suffer the Marcos regime, or the Greeks who lived through military dictatorship -- all with the rubber stamp of the good ol' USA.

As for Vietnam: ever heard of the Pentagon Papers?

You sentimentally hark back to an apple pie America when there was relatively full employment, when the economy was regulated, when unions had real power in the workplace, when the average young person could get a decent and affordable university which no longer exists. Once the military/industrial complex (remember Eisenhower's parting speech?) and the Republican right and its idealogues got its claws into the US economy and really stripped it bare, especially with the rise of neocons from Reagan onward, what is left? Industrial graveyards all around the nation, a generation of young people indebted for decades to come, a bloated private health system unable to serve tens of millions of people and a rapacious financial sector hardly accountable for its insidious greed which nearly brought down the whole world economy in 2008 and shows no signs reform or even culpability. Meanwhile, the country has the highest per capita numbers of people in prison.

The platform the Eisenhower government, if promulgated today, would no doubt be seen by Fox News et al, as dangerous left wing treachery.

I didn’t mind the Eisenhower platform. But modern ‘Right Wing Extremist’ Parties are just so greed focused, it’s just sad.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Obama’s message:
BarackObama/how-to-make-this-moment-the-turning-point-for-real-change-9fa209806067

IF this event happened under Obama, their would still be riots but more lasting action may have occurred.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
I didn’t mind the Eisenhower platform. But modern ‘Right Wing Extremist’ Parties are just so greed focused, it’s just sad.

Not sure where your energy comes from LG , I don’t have enough life left to debate with someone so blinkered.
The claptrap Under the cover of some self perceived intellect is amusing.

For sure some good points , some even I agree with , but the bs he gets called out for is never addressed .

Back