Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

and where can one find one of these coffee cinnamon scones? I should like to try this tasty sounding treat?

my diabetes won’t like it but I’ve decided that seeing virus will kill us all why bother 🤷🏼‍♂️
I actually don't know if you can buy them here. I don't go to bakeries. My sister-in-law used to make them in the states. She's a good cook - her only redeeming quality. :p

Not everyone could pack up and go instantly. Some would have had contractual work obligations or might have been finishing a doctoral thesis. They might have been with ailing or dying relatives. They might have had to sell their apartment before returning home permanently.

There are just so many legit scenarios. We can’t lumber them all with the accusation that they were too slow or too slack.
Expats and travellers were given different recommendations by the government. Expats were actually encouraged to stay where they were if safe - which makes a lot of sense for reasons you note, including logistical difficulties of moving in short window, affecting employment, leases, mortgages, schooling etc. What may start to happen now though given the extended period is any combination of factors like expats being made redundant, visas expiring etc which may explain a return now rather than earlier.
Not sure why they can’t be trusted to be able to self quarantine in their own homes if they have one but there is a theory that if you treat people like they shouldn’t be trusted it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Scary how many people still don’t get it 🙁

Scarier is people who do get it, have got it and just don't care.....this country no longer has the personnel that got it through 2 world wars. "We're all in this together" what a crock!!! The Aussie spirit of helping each other & pitching in no longer exists for the whole nation - thankfully it does in patches.

I would certainly not want Dan's job even if they were paying $20M a year. I agree with a lot of comments you cannot control every persons behavior. However in Australia if your governance concentrated and targeting the right areas you had better chance of success. Employing the right people (the army or police) to control return travellers in quarantine is a prime example. NSW premier got it right Dan got it wrong.

It is not surprising Jeff Kennet and Michael O'Brien are blaming Dan but when you have a former Labour leader blaming Dan of mismanagement there is no dispute he should be held accountable.

I agree to disagree. As you say Dan took all these extra measures schools, golf, fishing but dropped the ball as it turned out one of the most important issues.
The NSW government copped the flak and rightly so regarding the ruby princess. They got lucky it was at the start and are good position now but still cost lives. I do not understand how you cannot apportion any blame on Dan as Dogwatch has said he has already admitted to be at fault.

Good leaders admit their mistakes which Andrews has done. Good in him. I couldn’t give two *s about that though.

Do you know that the Hotel Quarantine breach cases make up less than 5% of all active cases in Vic during the recent wave/second wave? It ain’t the albatross you’re making it out to be.

You have a dislike for Andrews and it fogs your judgment on the real issues OD, as we’ve seen from a number of your posts on this issue.
Really unfortunate as we need everyone to pay attention and do what’s right, not play this down and encourage others to do the same.

I would certainly not want Dan's job even if they were paying $20M a year. I agree with a lot of comments you cannot control every persons behavior. However in Australia if your governance concentrated and targeting the right areas you had better chance of success. Employing the right people (the army or police) to control return travellers in quarantine is a prime example. NSW premier got it right Dan got it wrong.

It is not surprising Jeff Kennet and Michael O'Brien are blaming Dan but when you have a former Labour leader blaming Dan of mismanagement there is no dispute he should be held accountable.

And again, distracting from the real issues, OD. You need to take responsibility for your stance on this thing. You downplayed it and wanted everyone to be able to go about their lives.
We’re now seeing what happens when this thinking is put in to action. It’s created an absolute cluster * of a situation.

Last edited:
Good leaders admit their mistakes which Andrews has done. Good in him. I couldn’t give two fu**s about that though.

Do you know that the Hotel Quarantine breach cases make up less than 5% of all active cases in Vic during the recent wave/second wave? It ain’t the albatross you’re making it out to be.

You have a dislike for Andrews and it fogs your judgment on the real issues OD, as we’ve seen from a number of your posts on this issue.
Really unfortunate as we need everyone to pay attention and do what’s right, not play this down and encourage others to do the same.

You say it is my dislike for Dan fogs my judgement. It must also fog this experts judgement because he is reinforcing my view. Anyway we agree to disagree lets leave it at that and hope the Dogs have a big win over the Kangas this weekend I think we would agree we would like this to happen.

"Infectious diseases physician Prof Peter Collignon believes the Victorian government was overzealous with increased policing and issuing fines to people breaking restrictions earlier in the pandemic. Because people were so limited in their actions at a time when the virus was not widely spreading, people were growing fatigued by the restrictions and may feel less incentive to follow them now, Collignon said. He believes it made no sense to tell people that they could not go fishing or play golf, even though the risk of community transmission is significantly lower outdoors, while at the same time people could go into supermarkets or into cafes to pick up takeaway."

You say it is my dislike for Dan fogs my judgement. It must also fog this experts judgement because he is reinforcing my view. Anyway we agree to disagree lets leave it at that and hope the Dogs have a big win over the Kangas this weekend I think we would agree we would like this to happen.

"Infectious diseases physician Prof Peter Collignon believes the Victorian government was overzealous with increased policing and issuing fines to people breaking restrictions earlier in the pandemic. Because people were so limited in their actions at a time when the virus was not widely spreading, people were growing fatigued by the restrictions and may feel less incentive to follow them now, Collignon said. He believes it made no sense to tell people that they could not go fishing or play golf, even though the risk of community transmission is significantly lower outdoors, while at the same time people could go into supermarkets or into cafes to pick up takeaway."

Nah, just your judgment OD. People are in lockdown again due to others not taking this thing seriously. This has been your run with for the last few months. Disappointing you won’t address this issue OD.

Nah, just your judgment OD. People are in lockdown again due to others not taking this thing seriously. This has been your run with for the last few months. Disappointing you won’t address this issue OD.

I never said we should not take this seriously. I was optimistic that we could be where other states are at the moment and have questioned Dan of restrictions compared to other states. I fully take ownership (address this view) of this view and if you believe it is wrong good luck to you.

I really hope Dan and his government get on top it quickly whilst I do blame him and his government for hotel debacle . If we need to go onto full lockdown again so be it we just need to get on top it and get back to very low numbers like other states.

Well, the 11am State Govt announcement was very unenlightening. Half an hour of nothing new - I could have simply put on a replay of the last.

Don't they get that the people they need to get the message through to DON'T WATCH THIS STUFF - they don't listen to any local news services whether TV, radio or other.

Get the message out some other way - via churches or community centres and have a govt rep there who can ensure they're getting the right message!!!

The government would be consulting with Behavioural Scientists on how people will react to the restrictions, rather than infectious disease experts. It was alluded to by the CMO in the last few days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, the 11am State Govt announcement was very unenlightening. Half an hour of nothing new - I could have simply put on a replay of the last.

Don't they get that the people they need to get the message through to DON'T WATCH THIS STUFF - they don't listen to any local news services whether TV, radio or other.

Get the message out some other way - via churches or community centres and have a govt rep there who can ensure they're getting the right message!!!
Find out what they are watching and tap into that?

Yep, we NSW folk are behind the diseased state of Victoria. We gave your security guards condoms and lube.

I'm not sure about giving security guards condoms and lube, could be a problem though

I’m sorry if you took my post the wrong way, It’s not the good folk of NSW, It’s the media and confuse they are creating
Most media companies are syndicated in NSW and we get there spin
A number of adds where advocating getting out and spending money

This is not an appropriate thing to do in Vic just at the moment :)

Last edited:

Collignon is a local chap up this way. Good credentials but he’s been notable throughout the COVID-19 pandemic for his views which diverge somewhat from the medico-scientific mainstream. For instance when some were saying national lockdown should have been harder he was saying it was too tight. Now he’s using the possibility of lockdown fatigue to support his earlier stance.

He could be right and most others wrong but I’d be wary about using him as my sole reference point.

Collignon is a local chap up this way. Good credentials but he’s been notable throughout the COVID-19 pandemic for his views which diverge somewhat from the medico-scientific mainstream. For instance when some were saying national lockdown should have been harder he was saying it was too tight. Now he’s using the possibility of lockdown fatigue to support his earlier stance.

He could be right and most others wrong but I’d be wary about using him as my sole reference point.

It also seems to me that a physician's authority doesn't necessarily extend to psychological phenomena such as "lockdown fatigue."

ICU units full in Houston, Texas. This is the new Hotspot in the US, although Miami or Los Angeles may becomes bigger in a few weeks.

US overall recording 60,000+ cases per day. States that have reopened are reversing the decision and many are making masks wearing mandatory. Many people are against wearing masks, as it is against their rights to force them to do anything.... like everything in the US, it appears to be along social-economic &/or party political lines.

ICU units full in Houston, Texas. This is the new Hotspot in the US, although Miami or Los Angeles may becomes bigger in a few weeks.

US overall recording 60,000+ cases per day. States that have reopened are reversing the decision and many are making masks wearing mandatory. Many people are against wearing masks, as it is against their rights to force them to do anything.... like everything in the US, it appears to be along social-economic &/or party political lines.
A great (or horrible example) of how life would be if Oz had not managed the Bug like the US. Perhaps all the anti lock down 'just a flu' crowd can jump on a cruise ship and head on down to Texas.
OMG

Lol.

Hahahahah

I think you'll find that if they just stopped testing, the cases would drop to zero.

A great (or horrible example) of how life would be if Oz had not managed the Bug like the US. Perhaps all the anti lock down 'just a flu' crowd can jump on a cruise ship and head on down to Texas.
OMG

Lol.

Hahahahah

Only good thing about the US is that it gives the perfect example of how not to do things.

Only good thing about the US is that it gives the perfect example of how not to do things.

That's too harsh, VP, look at the trouble one particular Deep South rogue state is causing here. That's 1 out of 7 (p..s off all you pedants gathering to pile on about Territories). Imagine having to deal with 50. The US federation is far more States Rights orientated than ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back