Coronavirus/COVID-19

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
[

Up here the media seem to prefer those currently in office. Palaszczuk seems to get a dream run and plays the "us Queenslanders" card continually (bit like old Jo Bjelke used to but obviously different parties). On the federal side though Scomo seems to get positive bias at times.

Must be nice not having a media backed civil war type environment up there.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
IPA apparatchik posts video of angry small business owner calling on premier to resign, from clip screened on Sky. Sounds legit and neutral 'reporting'. Meanwhile if the ABC posted something along those lines, other media would be up in arms.

Would never happen. ABC wouldn’t go digging for grub journalist pieces at the pub owners expense.

I played a couple of local games against Dimma a few years back and seemed like a pretty good guy.
Unfortunately, he didn’t come across in the greatest light in that clip.

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Putting the religious or cultural aspect of the college everyone is arguing about aside - IF members of that community have flouted guidelines, they should be penalised significantly. I have older family members who's first language is not English - they're still capable of understanding if the senior politicians and health officials of the day are all over the media, it is not business as usual, and they need to understand what is happening. Cater for community groups in other languages by all means, but language is not a complete barrier to claim total ignorance of the greater society you are part of.

Personally, I would have a steeply escalating scale of fines, with indiscriminate mandatory detention beyond that. And whether that's someone in a high-rise or Lachie Hunter or Steele Sidebottom, stiff sh1t.

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would never happen. ABC wouldn’t go digging for grub journalist pieces at the pub owners expense.

I played a couple of local games against Dimma a few years back and seemed like a pretty good guy.
Unfortunately, he didn’t come across in the greatest light in that clip.

I understand he is frustrated, and seems to be thinking of his staff as well, but should have maybe thought longer before some of his comments. And I assume he's smart enough to realise getting sucked into a political mud slinging exercise, on a media network with an agenda, is not a great look.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
149 cases from 2942 in total is <5%.

That is the number linked to the school. 105 from school, 28 from 1 family linked and 16 from the other family group linked.

If we want to argue that these are all active (which they aren’t but anyway), 149 from 892 is <17%

(Numbers updated as websites numbers were out of date. 2824 to 2942 & 774 to 892)

Sometime ignorance of facts.... just leads to ignorance.

Numbers from Vic Health, Guardian, ABC. I had to use multiple sources. Please note these sources will update further, so this is current numbers.

Also note:
Genetic testing (science again), will tell us which other clusters are linked and also who spread it to whom. I am hoping we get to see this genetic report.

Last edited:

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Must be nice not having a media backed civil war type environment up there.
It is probably worse up in Queensland to be honest (I lived in Victoria for 20+ years). We don’t have Fairfax. No one has heard of The Guardian and the Courier Mail is the Herald Sun after several pre seasons at Essendon (on steroids).

[

Up here the media seem to prefer those currently in office. Palaszczuk seems to get a dream run and plays the "us Queenslanders" card continually (bit like old Jo Bjelke used to but obviously different parties). On the federal side though Scomo seems to get positive bias at times.
To be fair, the Queensland Libs are hardly impressive.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
ODE to Victorians ... 👍

Nobody likes us, everybody hates us
Think we'll go and eat worms ...

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
And the good news is in South Australia (where they have the expression "Kick a VIC") ATM, is that if you want some time work then you should "Lick a VIC".

IPA apparatchik posts video of angry small business owner calling on premier to resign, from clip screened on Sky. Sounds legit and neutral 'reporting'. Meanwhile if the ABC posted something along those lines, other media would be up in arms.

Speaking of New/Skys' Neutral errr...Fair and Balanced reporting....

149 cases from 2824 in total is 5%.

That is the number linked to the school. 105 from school, 28 from 1 family linked and 16 from the other family group linked.

If we want to argue that these are all active (which they aren’t but anyway), 149 from 774 is <20%

Sometime ignorance of facts.... just leads to ignorance.

Numbers from Vic Health, Guardian, ABC. I had to use multiple sources. Please note these sources will update further, so this is current numbers.

Also note:
Genetic testing (science again), will tell us which other clusters are linked and also who spread it to whom. I am hoping we get to see this genetic report.
That's illuminating. Props for doing the hard yards LittleG.

Provocative and dissenting views are fine, but on topics like this they should be supportable by links and verifiable stats. We don't see that supporting evidence often enough. It can really help take the abuse out of a debate and make it more instructive for both sides.

It shouldn't always have to be the likes of you who ends up doing the actual research.

PS: while I've got your attention though ... what do the numbers 2824 and 774 represent? I presume 774 is the number of current active cases in Vic (last I saw it was actually a bit higher than that ... 800+). But what is the 2824?

PS: while I've got your attention though ... what do the numbers 2824 and 774 represent? I presume 774 is the number of current active cases in Vic (last I saw it was actually a bit higher than that ... 800+). But what is the 2824?

774 is the best radio station in the whole damn country! I hear they used to have an extremely entertaining footy tipping segment on every Friday afternoon during Lindy Burns' Drive program at about 5:45pm. :p

Provocative and dissenting views are fine, but on topics like this they should be supportable by links and verifiable stats. We don't see that supporting evidence often enough. It can really help take the abuse out of a debate and make it more instructive for both sides.

It shouldn't always have to be the likes of you who ends up doing the actual research.

Total cases in victoria so far.

Now up to 2942. And also now 892 active which makes the % of the cluster in question even smaller (without knowing how many of the new numbers are related).

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

Wow. This video is the equivalent of a midnight Twitter rant. Put the phone down and go to bed.

I doubt he’s on Struggle Street. I get the anger at having to close to dining again, but sometimes you just have to check yourself when the media come knocking and walk away. Sky and the IPA would just be loving this. Just a battling Aussie (multi millionaire successful businessman) being screwed by the man. Right up their alley (tell half the story and skew it completely).

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Agree. For so long it’s been drilled in to the people of this state by certain sides of politics to have a distaste for protesters.
It’s led to a lack of empathy and common decency amongst too many. Exactly what some in politics want. Less people power and more ignorant, zombie like, herald sun reading morons who spew the the same rhetoric over and over. Bloody Lefty, Snowflake, Greeny Leftards!!
It’s actually embarrassing watching some of these people carry on.

It’s a pity Andrews didn’t ignore the outside noise and just stay the course and keep the state shut for a while longer the first time round, we may not have seen the second wave hit as it has.

Nailed it. Andrews had the right idea with the first lockdown and the whingers just kept going and the whole IPA/LNP ‘set us free’ campaign contributed significantly. From the bull**** over golf to the moaning about not being able to have a beer, it was a disgrace. The TV news report shaming ‘dobbers’. They have also blood on their hands.

It’s a pity he caved, but understandable. The hotel debacle will be dealt with and those responsible will rightly cop it, but now is not the time. Now we all stay home, do the six weeks drive this thing down and then slowly get things going again. Of course we can do it and we will.

Wow. This video is the equivalent of a midnight Twitter rant. Put the phone down and go to bed.

I doubt he’s on Struggle Street. I get the anger at having to close to dining again, but sometimes you just have to check yourself when the media come knocking and walk away. Sky and the IPA would just be loving this. Just a battling Aussie (multi millionaire successful businessman) being screwed by the man. Right up their alley (tell half the story and skew it completely).
Can someone remind me how many of Victoria's 2900+ Covid19 cases were from transmission at the BLM rally?

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Websites, ie Vichealth had old numbers, they have updated. I will check cluster numbers tomorrow as they update separately.
774 was active, total numbers minus recovered and deceased.

Back