The City Boyz

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2016
Albert Park
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
There’s new data in a Lancet report - yet to be peer-reviewed - saying the AZ vaccine shows 76% efficacy after one shot and 82% after a second shot. No idea if this in the context of new strains or just the old one.

Good news if accurate. Much better than the 62% in earlier studies.

Research is ongoing in various places so we should expect more updates over the next month or so.
This came from real world data in the UK (so testing against the UK variant, which is likely to become the worldwide dominant one), so it should be trusted
The interesting thing was, this was using the 12 weeks between doses that the English regulator recommended - we've left it up to an individual's choice whether they want to go 4 to 12 weeks for their second shot

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not everyone, just the healthy people in order to trick him.

Another senseless move by Dan locking down the whole of Victoria costing Victorian businesses billions. Yet amazingly he is still popular. Give me Gladys and the way NSW has handled this far superior to our systems. We do not even have one QR code and it appears another cover up regarding the nebulizer.

The ears Dan V the nose Gladys. For me the Ears is on the nose and Nose is all ears on not calling statewide panic lockdowns.

Last edited:

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is so so scary out there....
I have been working on creating bottled copium. People really need a lot of it these days.... I am not sure if it’s to do with poor education, over-parenting or global warming. So many snowflakes, all melting....

No need for copium, lock downs keep us safe. If we never leave the house, nothing bad can ever happen.

No need for copium, lock downs keep us safe. If we never leave the house, nothing bad can ever happen.
It's pre-season. Everyone is training the house down. Definitely unsafe.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It is so so scary out there....
I have been working on creating bottled copium. People really need a lot of it these days.... I am not sure if it’s to do with poor education, over-parenting or global warming. So many snowflakes, all melting....
Scary in the rest of the world sure, I’d happily take my nan on a nice long walk mask free around Melbourne right now.

This bloke has shown himself to be absolutely incompetent and borderline dangerous in some cases and is surely not fit to lead us through this s**t. And people eat it up.

How many times can you fail at your job and still keep it?

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Scary in the rest of the world sure, I’d happily take my nan on a nice long walk mask free around Melbourne right now.

This bloke has shown himself to be absolutely incompetent and borderline dangerous in some cases and is surely not fit to lead us through this sh*t. And people eat it up.

How many times can you fail at your job and still keep it?

If you're referring specifically to politics, and particularly in Australia, incompetence is not now, and never has been, a barrier to continuing employment. Regardless of party.

1613520802650.png
1613521240793.png
1613521386461.png

1613520954756.png
1613521020938.png
1613521088609.png

Edit: I just chose 6 examples at random, across party lines and genders. I could easily have posted photos of dozens more.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you're referring specifically to politics, and particularly in Australia, incompetence is not now, and never has been, a barrier to continuing employment. Regardless of party.

View attachment 1059617View attachment 1059626View attachment 1059629
View attachment 1059621View attachment 1059622View attachment 1059624

Edit: I just chose 6 examples at random, across party lines and genders. I could easily have posted photos of dozens more.
You missed one of the most glaring examples we've had in decades - our very own PM.

Robodebt, Vic bushfires, failure to manage COVID despite being federal responsibility, the Sydney airport land deal, sports rorts, the list goes on. He's been easily the most corrupt and incompetent prime minister I've seen in my lifetime, which is quite an incredible achievement given who has preceded him.

Lockdown too late, lockdown too early, lock down too long, lock down too short, failure in hotel quarantine, success in getting the second wave under control, success in long periods of no community transmission, shouldn't be taking people back from overseas, doing the right thing in brining citizens home, etc etc.

There's a million stances people can take with the whole thing, many of which will be negative towards the government.

Can say with absolute certainty though, that there's not many other places in the world I'd have rather been during it. On the whole we've all done pretty well... our people, our government, our systems/intuitions... which is why we're rebounding so much better than many other countries around the world and apart from some short snap lock downs recently, we've all been able to live relatively normal lives the last few months.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep let’s give Dan credit that he succeeded in getting the second wave under control, Victorian’s didn’t lock down for 4 months, that was all him

According to the constitution, quarantine is the responsibility of the federal government. They outsourced to the states on 48 hours notice.... which surprise surprise isn’t the best idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
According to the constitution, quarantine is the responsibility of the federal government. They outsourced to the states on 48 hours notice.... which surprise surprise isn’t the best idea.
Goes to show how messed up our media environment is in Australia that the Morrison government continues to largely escape scrutiny over this. They are quite literally doing less than the bare minimum when it comes to COVID. Even fallen behind in vaccine rollout now

The federal government have no health assets. All they can do is strongly advise and suggest. It's up to the states to take the advice (Dan rejected the offer of army personnel early on). Can't imagine the states handing over their hospitals, doctors, staff, etc, going by their jealous guarding of their patches. ALL of them.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One simple stat sums up Dan.

Covid deaths Australia wide 909.

Covid deaths in Victoria 820.

The man should be hung drawn and quartered.
655 of those Vic deaths were in Aged Care, which is a federal government responsibility. Blame the other 165 on Dan all you like, but the fault of the 655 lies squarely with the Morrison government

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The federal government have no health assets. All they can do is strongly advise and suggest. It's up to the states to take the advice (Dan rejected the offer of army personnel early on). Can't imagine the states handing over their hospitals, doctors, staff, etc, going by their jealous guarding of their patches. ALL of them.

They take the Medicare levy.... and then distribute it. They run the NDIS.... money talks. They control the money....

How many people directly employed by the government are involved in the day to day running of quarantine?
-Local police? A few.
-Everyone else is outsourced, as no one had a workforce available on 48hrs notice....

There is public service over site.... just like there would be at the federal level.

My big objection here is the outsourcing of responsibility. We have a constitution, it is Very Clear about who is responsible. The fact they are choosing to take no responsibility for their constitutional obligations, tells me exactly who they are.

Yes, Dan will probably be voted out. I can’t see him surviving.

I'd go further to suggest it's just as well the Fed Govt wasn't running our hospitals directly. I know people will take issues with particular incidents or policies from one premier or another (especially Dan) but overall I think the independent stances taken by all of the premiers and chief ministers has served Australia very well.

I shudder to think how it would have panned out with Greg Hunt, Josh "Let's Open Up for Business" Frydenberg and ScoMo in charge of the whole show. Actually the impact on the aged care sector might give us a pretty good idea.

Quarantine is a trickier question. Yes, it's the responsibility of Fed Govt but that is usually executed in the form of screening of imports for pests, invasive species etc and ensuring people coming from certain areas (such as South America where Yellow Fever is endemic) have the appropriate vaccinations, otherwise they get sent straight back home or are forced into on-shore quarantine (but only rarely and always in very small numbers). In other words it has evolved into an operation that does one-off interventions at the airports and seaports, not a sustained involvement with travellers.

It has been a long, long time since we've had to implement a massive sustained quarantining of travellers as we have had to do over the last 12 months. So the infrastructure simple wasn't there, the old quarantine stations having been dismantled decades ago. Yes it's still a federal responsibility but it was palmed off to the states to execute. Nobody was ready for it.

I hope we'll learn from that and be better prepared for the next wave of Covid or the next pandemic of some other description. I'm pretty sure we won't have to wait another 100 years.

Yep let’s give Dan credit that he succeeded in getting the second wave under control, Victorian’s didn’t lock down for 4 months, that was all him
Nobody is saying it is all him but nice strawman. In fact, if you re-read my post I specifically said the people are part of the success we've had. To ignore the fact that the people were following the measures implemented by the government though is disingenuous. The measures that we took, got the second wave under control so much faster than other countries with similar numbers.
I mean, it's obvious you're completely one-eyed on this. You only want to acknowledge the negatives and not the positives.

Some of the same people that bemoan the recent snap lock down are those that sooked the government didn't do enough to stop the second wave.

One simple stat sums up Dan.

Covid deaths Australia wide 909.

Covid deaths in Victoria 820.

The man should be hung drawn and quartered.
Crikey. You'd execute most of the world's leaders then?

I'm not saying any government is perfect, in any state or federally. Of course they, of all persuasions on the spectrum, have made mistakes in dealing with this pandemic. Same as everyone around the world.

If you look at the big picture though, we are relatively well placed globally, in due part to the actions we've all taken as a country. Our people and governments.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nobody is saying it is all him but nice strawman. In fact, if you re-read my post I specifically said the people are part of the success we've had. To ignore the fact that the people were following the measures implemented by the government though is disingenuous. The measures that we took, got the second wave under control so much faster than other countries with similar numbers.
I mean, it's obvious you're completely one-eyed on this. You only want to acknowledge the negatives and not the positives.

Some of the same people that bemoan the recent snap lock down are those that sooked the government didn't do enough to stop the second wave.
Bro how can you possibly defend the second wave in any possible way 😂 it should have never happened, but good on Dan for locking us down for 4 months to get on top of it, real strong leadership, brave brave man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back