Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

This is correct, not just tennis players. People on business, sportspeople, those with special skills etc. Celebs usually find a way too (fame and money talk). Maybe some cases of compassionate exemptions (eg dying parent). And of course foreign diplomats arriving at their Australian mission.

Most are required to do two weeks HQ. Foreign diplomats are just expected to do the right thing because they have diplomatic immunity from our laws.
The German couple was just a stuff-up at Sydney airport. Supposedly had no idea they were doing the wrong thing. (Hmmm :think: )

Our borders are however closed pretty firmly to casual tourism and people travelling on personal business. AFAIK we still can't take overseas trips ourselves - certainly not if we want easy re-entry. The NZ travel bubble excepted.

Not that I'd want to go anywhere else right now ... except maybe NZ.
Can you imagine what it will be like, even in a few years' time, trying to holiday OS? QR codes or equivalent everywhere - do they have them OS or have they given up on contact tracing? Even if the world is vaccinated, we and they can still get the virus and spread it! FMD. By then there may be countless variations, each more "deadly" than the last :rolleyes: . Or am I being too pessimistic?

TG I got to see most of what I wanted to in the carefree times of last century.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's on your church, not the government. Restrictions were lifted over a week ago

The people that run ours are old and the policies and procedures were overwhelming. Our space is small and that makes things more complicated. When we were at Marvel last week we were all in different areas, QR code’s etc, then the siren went and everyone in the stadium walked out on the concourse together packed in like sardines.
Football provides hope, but so does faith, people need people now. They need generational bonding and hearing the stories of our ancestors. If we do quarantine properly(fingers crossed) we shouldn’t have to worry.

Can you imagine what it will be like, even in a few years' time, trying to holiday OS? QR codes or equivalent everywhere - do they have them OS or have they given up on contact tracing? Even if the world is vaccinated, we and they can still get the virus and spread it! FMD. By then there may be countless variations, each more "deadly" than the last :rolleyes: . Or am I being too pessimistic?

TG I got to see most of what I wanted to in the carefree times of last century.
This too will pass.

Covid-19 will probably wane in 12-18 months time as pandemics eventually do. It will however remain a potentially serious endemic disease but most of those affluent enough to travel will also have had their annual vaccination/booster. Maybe Covid passports will be required (proof of recent vaccination). Most towns and cities in developed countries (eg Europe, N America, E Asia) will be desperate to open up for tourism and will not be as particular as we are in Australia at the moment. Our states and territories probably won't be that particular by then either come to think of it, but I expect us to remain more risk averse than other countries.

Travel insurance will be a bit iffy. There will be all sorts of escape clauses for the insurers so you'll need to make your own judgement on what level of risk to take.

Not sure I'd be considering cruises though. Never did like the idea that much and have only ever done one. Cruise ships have always been great disease incubators.

I also expect the tourist industry will be like the housing market - after a hiatus due to Covid19 it will take off as demand will suddenly rocket and will outstrip supply. Tourism businesses will also be keen to recover their losses so prices will climb. Best to get in early-ish once you consider it's safe enough.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The people that run ours are old and the policies and procedures were overwhelming. Our space is small and that makes things more complicated. When we were at Marvel last week we were all in different areas, QR code’s etc, then the siren went and everyone in the stadium walked out on the concourse together packed in like sardines.
Football provides hope, but so does faith, people need people now. They need generational bonding and hearing the stories of our ancestors. If we do quarantine properly(fingers crossed) we shouldn’t have to worry.
If the attendees are relatively old (which is common for most churches, particularly Catholic ones if yours happens to be) it could be that your church is trying to be cautious about it. Many churches in the US acted as super spreading events due to things like the sharing of the communion wine.

My parish in the states takes reservations for Sunday Masses. They are still limited as to numbers. It was sad to watch Easter Mass online and see so few people in the church ,but better than last year when the church was closed. Masses were not put up on YouTube from my old parish until Covid. On Sunday I watched a Mass from New Zealand and early Monday morning at 1:15, I watched the Easter Sunday Eucharist from Washington National Cathedral(Episcopal) live. (I've had an interest in the American Episcopal Church since I took a comparative religions class back at university fifty years ago.)

I have to check my GP's office to see if they got the flu vaccine in this week so I can get that first, then my Covid jab #1 a month from today. I have a procedure scheduled at St. Vincent's Private Hospital in three weeks and three hospital doctors' office appointments next month. I'd like to have had my Covid jab before I go to those.

Tonight’s announcement that people under 50 be given the Pfizer vaccine not the AstraZeneca one will probably mean a further delay in reaching our vaccination targets.

As I understand it we had been gearing up for most of Australia’s population to have the AstraZeneca. This included a program of local manufacture by CSL. However if that’s now only for the over 50s (who probably make up about 25-35% of the population) then the critical path will be getting enough supply of the Pfizer vaccine from overseas for the other 65-75% (say 12-15 million people if you don’t count those under 12 years old). Double that number for two doses each then add extra logistical problems and setup time because of the need for super-cold storage and transport.

I haven’t seen any other analysis yet but if my assumptions are correct it will probably set back when we can reopen borders and international travel, and when we can be confident there won’t be any more sudden lockdowns or red zone declarations. This will also have a bearing on business confidence. How much delay I’m not sure ... 2-6 months perhaps?

Another possible consequence is that public confidence in one or both of the vaccines will be undermined and that will further delay progress toward reaching our vaccination targets because some will choose not to have it.

That’s not a criticism of government by the way. I think it makes sense to do this even if they are being exceptionally cautious. The risks are extremely low but it’s in line with Australia’s broad response to Covid-19 over the last 12 months - very risk averse.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tonight’s announcement that people under 50 be given the Pfizer vaccine not the AstraZeneca one will probably mean a further delay in reaching our vaccination targets.

As I understand it we had been gearing up for most of Australia’s population to have the AstraZeneca. This included a program of local manufacture by CSL. However if that’s now only for the over 50s (who probably make up about 25-35% of the population) then the critical path will be getting enough supply of the Pfizer vaccine from overseas for the other 65-75% (say 12-15 million people if you don’t count those under 12 years old). Double that number for two doses each then add extra logistical problems and setup time because of the need for super-cold storage and transport.

I haven’t seen any other analysis yet but if my assumptions are correct it will probably set back when we can reopen borders and international travel, and when we can be confident there won’t be any more sudden lockdowns or red zone declarations. This will also have a bearing on business confidence. How much delay I’m not sure ... 2-6 months perhaps?

Another possible consequence is that public confidence in one or both of the vaccines will be undermined and that will further delay progress toward reaching our vaccination targets because some will choose not to have it.

That’s not a criticism of government by the way. I think it makes sense to do this even if they are being exceptionally cautious. The risks are extremely low but it’s in line with Australia’s broad response to Covid-19 over the last 12 months - very risk averse.

My business relied upon international tourism.... i was hoping to reopen this year. I guess I better find a new career doing something completely different.

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The problem is that people have becomes conditioned to live with zero risk.

Every time a rare complication comes up, we panic and change course, which means we undo all our good work.

We have now thrown away 2 potential vaccines (UQ and the AZ) ones because we can’t cope the small risks of them.

What will we do when a few rare side effects show up with the Pfizer vaccine? Get rid of that one too?

Too much politics and too little science is going to delay any resumption to travel for years to come.

My business relied upon international tourism.... i was hoping to reopen this year. I guess I better find a new career doing something completely different.
☹️ Well let’s hope I’m wrong (but this morning’s headlines align with my thinking).

Or that the plans change again. Or they can rustle up lots of Pfizer in a hurry. There’s also a slight hope of some more travel bubbles kicking in, eg Japan and South Korea.

Every time a rare complication comes up, we panic and change course, which means we undo all our good work.

We have now thrown away 2 potential vaccines (UQ and the AZ) ones because we can’t cope the small risks of them.

What will we do when a few rare side effects show up with the Pfizer vaccine? Get rid of that one too?

Too much politics and too little science is going to delay any resumption to travel for years to come.
Yes the decision was a political judgement but it was based very much on the science. As you say we have no appetite for risk with COVID-19. It served us well last year with lockdowns but this is a different issue with the vaccine IMO.

If only there was as much reliance on the science and as little appetite for risk in the matter of climate change (which is going to be far more devastating for Australia than this pandemic).

That's because everyone is entitled these days - if something goes wrong, people sue government/business/each other. Sometimes it's justified - sometimes it's just greed and milking an unfortunate situation for all you can even though you don't need the money.

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's because everyone is entitled these days - if something goes wrong, people sue government/business/each other. Sometimes it's justified - sometimes it's just greed and milking an unfortunate situation for all you can even though you don't need the money.

‘That’s no reason for the government and the media to pander to headlines and people’s fears.

Thousands of small businesses especially in tourism have been thrown to the wolves through bureaucratic and government arse covering.

Not resolving the COVID problem due to a 1:250000 issue is just crazy.

I was able to get an appt to get my flu shot at my GP's office in two weeks. That's two weeks before I am scheduled to get my fatal Covid jab. I will have to ask the opinion of my cardiologist about the Covid shot. I can not pass for under 50 any more. *sigh* I think it is all a plot by Millennials to kill off us Boomers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I may or may not be a smart man but I am slightly struggling to see what all this flapping about is at present

Covid is far more dangerous to people over 60, this vaccine from all reports I’ve heard/read is fine for that demographic.

This now releases many more vaccines for those people so get them done and won’t for Pfizer for the under 50s which I’d far and away rather have.

Laboue whinging about the Libs not ordering vaccines that aren’t even available yet or aren’t approved is the height of putrid politics on a serious issue and both parties need to stop being knobs and work this sh!t out

I may or may not be a smart man but I am slightly struggling to see what all this flapping about is at present

Covid is far more dangerous to people over 60, this vaccine from all reports I’ve heard/read is fine for that demographic.

This now releases many more vaccines for those people so get them done and won’t for Pfizer for the under 50s which I’d far and away rather have.

Laboue whinging about the Libs not ordering vaccines that aren’t even available yet or aren’t approved is the height of putrid politics on a serious issue and both parties need to stop being knobs and work this sh!t out
It's not Labor's responsibility to work it out.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's not Labor's responsibility to work it out.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

We will get there in the end, but ScoMos promise that we would all be vaccinated by August and the border closures would stop is looking particular foolish.

I suspect he was planning an election later this year- hence the arbitrary date selected.

We reallly have no idea when this will be over since there is no guarantee that any vaccine will throw up complications- how many vaccines can we burn through before the end.

The number of vaccine holdouts is also going to be a problem since it’s unlikely we will get herd immunity. A number of those people will be getting very ill.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We will get there in the end, but ScoMos promise that we would all be vaccinated by August and the border closures would stop is looking particular foolish.

I suspect he was planning an election later this year- hence the arbitrary date selected.

We reallly have no idea when this will be over since there is no guarantee that any vaccine will throw up complications- how many vaccines can we burn through before the end.

The number of vaccine holdouts is also going to be a problem since it’s unlikely we will get herd immunity. A number of those people will be getting very ill.

Scomo was planning an election at the end of June. Polling had indicated at least a 4 seat win and potentially more.

Many own goals later, election will be in 2021.

During the pandemic the Swedish response has attracted quite a bit of attention, including both praise and criticism.

When the pandemic is over and we pick up the pieces to find what we have learned it will probably get analysed closely along with countries such as NZ, Australia, Vietnam, UK, France, USA, Brazil, China and South Korea.

Although it's inconclusive I thought this was an interesting and balanced piece, if anyone is interested:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Scomo was planning an election at the end of June. Polling had indicated at least a 4 seat win and potentially more.

Many own goals later, election will be in 2021.
June 2021 ? Where's that coming from ? Morison told SMH in January that it was a 2022 election and no plans to bring it forward.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
June 2021 ? Where's that coming from ? Morison told SMH in January that it was a 2022 election and no plans to bring it forward.

In November, there was work being done on early campaign material. The idea was to take advantage of the strong virus elimination, to build a majority in the upper house.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
☹️ Well let’s hope I’m wrong (but this morning’s headlines align with my thinking).

Or that the plans change again. Or they can rustle up lots of Pfizer in a hurry. There’s also a slight hope of some more travel bubbles kicking in, eg Japan and South Korea.
I doubt Sth Korea will be part of a travel bubble anytime soon. They are on the verge of a 4th wave.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1618916443854.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back