Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I might have to do that ,🍺
Your the type of bloke I need to see in the flesh —— can’t work out if you are an eccentric well educated intellect or a bloody raving lunatic 😬

Kinda hoping you are the latter 🥸
Good man, your majesty, me too, I reckon you'll be a tall, dignified, reserved sort of toff.

Lighter moment. This morning I was in my backyard and some tradies were laying turf in the house next door. The fence is high enough so we couldn’t see each other but I could hear their convo.
Tradie 1: no way I’m getting the jab.
Pause of about 20 seconds.
Tradie 2. I got a jab yesterday.
Tradie 1 in incredulous tone: Did ya??!!
Tradie 2: Yeah, I want to go home at Christmas and ya need it to travel.
Stunned silence.
Tradie 2: Gettin’ the second one in 3 or 4 weeks then I can book a plane ticket. Gotta be vaxed.
Tradie 1 with a sigh: I’ll probably end up getting it.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lighter moment. This morning I was in my backyard and some tradies were laying turf in the house next door. The fence is high enough so we couldn’t see each other but I could hear their convo.
Tradie 1: no way I’m getting the jab.
Pause of about 20 seconds.
Tradie 2. I got a jab yesterday.
Tradie 1 in incredulous tone: Did ya??!!
Tradie 2: Yeah, I want to go home at Christmas and ya need it to travel.
Stunned silence.
Tradie 2: Gettin’ the second one in 3 or 4 weeks then I can book a plane ticket. Gotta be vaxed.
Tradie 1 with a sigh: I’ll probably end up getting it.
Getting the jab for all the right reasons?? This is coercion. It may help get numbers up. Both these guys will get the jab because they just want to get on with life not because they think it may help their health or others. I think Dan and Scott have played so much politicking that the trust in politicians has never been lower. So there is no ‘war effort’ to stick together as a community and do things for each other of their own free will. The pollies are that lacking in leadership they have used the ‘stick’ instead of the ‘carrot’, they haven’t trusted their citizens, in fact blamed them, and wonder why people have become cynical.

philmb

Cancelled
May 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Getting the jab for all the right reasons?? This is coercion. It may help get numbers up. Both these guys will get the jab because they just want to get on with life not because they think it may help their health or others. I think Dan and Scott have played so much politicking that the trust in politicians has never been lower. So there is no ‘war effort’ to stick together as a community and do things for each other of their own free will. The pollies are that lacking in leadership they have used the ‘stick’ instead of the ‘carrot’, they haven’t trusted their citizens, in fact blamed them, and wonder why people have become cynical.

I don't know. There are plenty of citizens I wouldn't trust. And I admire our leaders of all political parties at all levels of government for doing their best in such difficult times. Sure, their individual/collective responses haven't been perfect, but they've been far better than the leaders of other nations/jurisdictions around the world. I doubt many of us here would have offered the perfect solution that had the acceptance or approval of all.

My dad won't be getting the vaccine after buying into the anti-government/conspiracy theory narrative. Unfortunately he's of the stubbornness that can't be changed. I've had both jabs for a few months now and me not dropping dead (or even 99% of the Canberra population for that matter...) hasn't changed his opinion. I got both jabs because I wanted to - knowing it would protect me and my loved ones, especially those that for whatever reason choose not to get jabbed. Being able to get on with life also helps, but getting the jab because of that is hardly coercion. That would be like saying the government is forcing you to get a job because it pays more than government support...I go to work because I know it helps with my overall standard of living.

Isn’t not getting covid or dying from it, or passing it on, “coercion” enough? When I went to India I was “coerced” into getting vaxed against typhoid, cholera and yellow fever. As a kid my parents were “coerced” into getting me vaxed against polio, and TB. The trouble is, people in western countries such as ours nowadays live such privileged, cushioned lives, never having had to contend with endemic disease as many countries do, eg malaria, hepatitis, AIDS, that they really have nfi what hardship is.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

I don't think the 'war effort' narrative ever would have played these days. Nationalism is dead in Australia and probably in most countries around the world. The world is too globalised now. We might see a resurgence of nationalism at some point but right at this moment I just don't see it or feel it.

Contador

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wonder if these persistent case numbers will have any impact on the opening up plans.. Vic should be 70% vaccinated in a week and 80% maybe 10 days after that. All looking good on the vaccination front around the country - zooming past other countries like the US.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wonder if these persistent case numbers will have any impact on the opening up plans.. Vic should be 70% vaccinated in a week and 80% maybe 10 days after that. All looking good on the vaccination front around the country - zooming past other countries like the US.
Victoria will be coming out of lockdown by the 26th, regardless. I have been very supportive of lockdowns, in the absence of any other option, but if it were extended I think I’d be marching in the CBD with the nut jobs.

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is from an article from today's Age (https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...digenous-vaccine-rollout-20211014-p58zyo.html) It's paywall free.

The salient part for me was this:

"The committee also heard from the mayor of Broken Hill, Darriea Turley, who told senators that the United Australia Party (UAP) had been contributing to vaccine hesitancy in the town by distributing flyers.

”When we first received those flyers they were first in the colours of black and gold; that changed, the third flyer I think, the third or fourth, came out in medical colours. So it was red white and blue, so it looked like a medical document,” she said.

Cr Turley claimed that a barrage of anti-vaccination messaging had discouraged people from getting the jab.

“It was just outrageous that you’re allowed to have and receive misinformation in the post,” she said." (My emphasis.)

I got this in my letter box about 3 months ago. Nothing to claim authorship.

75234A2A-3C3C-48C1-B249-2DD3012552E1.jpeg

265B2A8C-1A50-4052-A137-358BBF542352.jpeg

Haha "if you stop getting tested covid will go away"

Is this something out of The Secret?
I think it's a paraphrase of Peak Trump in mid 2020. It was something like this:

"Testing is showing a big increase in case numbers. Maybe we shouldn't be doing so much testing?"​
1634194928387.png

I think it's a paraphrase of Peak Trump in mid 2020. It was something like this:

"Testing is showing a big increase in case numbers. Maybe we shouldn't be doing so much testing?"​
Haha, I think the first part of that quote was about the US having the highest number of positive cases in the world because "we test more than anyone else", and then he said cases would go down if they tested less.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians

It would be hilarious if not so serious.
Palmer, Kelly and the associated nut jobs are following the Trump model on every issue.
No doubt they think there is enough morons in Aus to tap into .

Bad news is historically we tend to follow the US with nearly all social issues.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How can we be in a lockdown since 5 August have 67% double vaxed, 85% on one dose and over 2,200 cases an increase of 50% in one day yet according to Dan NSW completely mismanaged their last outbreak. Something does not add up and the only thing that sticks out to me is NSW went much harder on the hotspots in in the West and we allowed the North and West hotspots to spread everywhere in Melbourne.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Be
How can we be in a lockdown since 5 August have 67% double vaxed, 85% on one dose and over 2,200 cases an increase of 50% in one day yet according to Dan NSW completely mismanaged their last outbreak. Something does not add up and the only thing that sticks out to me is NSW went much harder on the hotspots in in the West and we allowed the North and West hotspots to spread everywhere in Melbourne.
Because good leaders bring all along with them. They create incentive based solutions. Bad leaders play petty point scoring politics, divide loyalty and then blame everyone else, their citizens, their political opponents and then throw a few from their own party under the bus to to protect themselves. But worst of all they rule with an authoritarian style that seeks to punish those that don’t follow their sometimes good but sometimes mindless rules. They base these rules on science’ but never show you where that ‘science’ comes from. Bad leaders go from bad to worse and will eventually leave office, disgraced, to never be seen in public again. Leaving their state citizens mentally fragile with a debt burden their grand children will be still paying off.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They base these rules on science’ but never show you where that ‘science’ comes from.
Do you need to be shown how limiting human interaction would reduce opportunities for this virus to transmit?

Lockdowns demonstrably work. That is scientifically proven beyond all doubt.

You don’t half bark up some odd trees.

Back