footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I am a doctor working in a tertiary hospital in Sydney. Most of the patients I look after are cancer patients with a weak immune system and most of them have done the right thing. Gotten vaccinated. Stayed home. Wore a mask at every appointment. Despite everything they try they are getting COVID-19. Maybe the daughter that picks up groceries for them has it. Maybe the nurse who comes to the house to give them antibiotics. It's everywhere and it's unavoidable. Some have obvious symptoms but are struggling to get RATs, they are struggling to get PCRs. They cannot understand why the government isn't telling them more. I know why but I can't say it to them. It's a bad look for the government. I know people who work in the public health unit. They know that none of the decisions being made right now are science-based, they are political. It's because the someone decided we are "all going to get COVID-19 anyway", so why not all at once? Rip the band-aid off quickly. Then people will start going back to the shops, the pub, their place or worship.

I have spent the whole morning trying to organise sotrovimab for my patients. It's the first step in patients who currently only have mild or moderate COVID-19 but it has to be given in the first days after symptoms start. You can't bring a COVID-19 positive patient into an infusion centre without risking exposure to every other patient there so these people have to be directed to "hot zones" where every person has COVID-19. If they did a RAT which was positive but it's a false positive then it doesn't matter; they are positive for sure now. Where are the "hot zones"? They are all the same. The only place left open is the one place that can never close, the Emergency Department. They are at breaking point. I cannot find a bed or a chair or a nurse to give the drug. I find doctors with haunted looks who have not taken their mask off for a sip of water in 12 hours.

My husband works in the ED in a tertiary Sydney Hospital. He has seen at least three people die this week who should not have died. None of them had COVID-19. One was a man with diarrhoea. People don't die with diarrhoea - not in Australia. We are a developed country. We are ranked 6th in the world for life expectancy. The family called 3 times for an ambulance and were told each time they could not spare an ambulance to get to them. They didn't say why but we all know why. It's the same reason there are no apples on the shelves. They tell the family to get in their car and drive to the ED. He arrests in the car on his way to the hospital. He cannot be resuscitated. There isn't time to explain to the family what has happened because there are 30 people in the waiting room. Some have COVID-19 but you don't know which ones yet. It could be the young guy who is here because he cut his hand at work. It could be the elderly woman who had a fall at the nursing home. There are 5 doctors this shift who either have COVID-19 or who are close contacts. You do the death certificate and move on.

It's sickening to think that this was all avoidable. Yes, we would have all gotten COVID-19 at some point but we could have handled it if cases were spread out. We would all have been given the best medical treatment when we got COVID-19. Instead we are dying in cars on the way to hospital. We are dying at home before it is time for our booster.

Please look after the people you care about and stay safe. We're doing the best we can in hospital. We are grateful for every person who does the right thing. It's clear from the silence from the authorities that it's up to us now and we're on our own.

- Anonymous

But, but, didn't some posters on here say the "health system is not in crisis", and "everything will be fine"? :think:

Health networks across the country are under-staffed, and under pressure, and have been throughout the pandemic. Sure, there are graduates coming into the system, but the experienced staff exiting the system are in addition to the normal attrition rates that existed pre-COVID. So net staff levels are falling in many areas. And the net knowledge/experience base with it. There are less experienced staff to train the new staff. But "everything is fine".

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
But, but, didn't some posters on here say the "health system is not in crisis", and "everything will be fine"? :think:

Health networks across the country are under-staffed, and under pressure, and have been throughout the pandemic. Sure, there are graduates coming into the system, but the experienced staff exiting the system are in addition to the normal attrition rates that existed pre-COVID. So net staff levels are falling in many areas. And the net knowledge/experience base with it. There are less experienced staff to train the new staff. But "everything is fine".
I don’t think anyone said they are not in crisis. It was pointed out that those that think Andrews had done a good job were kidding themselves because he had been health minister for many years and then premier for nearly eight years. He’s promised heaps but delivered little. Too busy giving John Holland so much work to concentrate on health? We will be fine, but we’ve got a hurdle in front of us.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians

Yes they have , despite all the linguistic gymnastics that’s now going on from some.
I certainly got a sarcastic reply from one of the pandemic deniers , after posting a conversation with a medic caught right in the middle of it all.

Not sure what planet they are on ?

Wow. You’d hope they have a watertight case to send him home. The last thing we want is for this to be overturned.
Reading the legislation, it's sufficiently vague enough for the Minister's discretion to be extremely broad.
Going to be a tough legal battle for any appeal

Reading the legislation, it's sufficiently vague enough for the Minister's discretion to be extremely broad.
Ask anybody who migrated here as an infant, broke the law as an adult and was returned to their ‘homeland’ about the discretionary 'character based' powers of deportation available to an Australian immigration minister.

Remember this proud moment in our nations history?

Last edited:

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The last few pages have shown our contempt for politicians on both sides at federal and state level. And this Novak debacle continues to make us a laughing stock. We got the title as most locked down city in the world, now the 9 time winner of the Australian open and world number one has been used as a pawn between Vic gov/tennis Australia and fed gov.

Why is everyone so paranoid about what “the world” thinks of us? No other country gives a stuff what we think of them. We have our laws, they have theirs. If you feel “embarrassed” you need to drink a cup of cement and be proud we are taking a stand. Millions of Australians have followed the rules and yet we are meant to buckle when the first celebrity tries to s**t all over them. It’s a bloody insult.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Millions of Australians have followed the rules and yet we are meant to buckle when the first celebrity tries to sh*t all over them. It’s a bloody insult.
I thought you were all about ‘freedoms’ on the Freshwater express? Has NewsCorp altered your opinion again?

Last edited:

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jeez you set the bar low, if kicking out an entitled tennis brat from the country is enough to make you feel proud. This country has gone to sh*t and the pandemic has just highlighted it and sped up our demise.
No joke, I’m actually think Rubert Murdoch may have a presence on this great internet forum. Tell us about yourself Dog_R_Us?

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought you were all about ‘freedoms’ on the Freshwater express? Has NewsCorp altered your opinion again?
??? What has news Corp to do with anything here? All media has peddled the worst case prediction every time.
By the way, freedom is a high ideal, never dismiss it lightly.
Like Scrag has mentioned, we are an embarrassment at all levels during this pandemic. We panic at every new change to things. We catastrophise everything and get all flustered over a tennis brat.

Jeez you set the bar low, if kicking out an entitled tennis brat from the country is enough to make you feel proud. This country has gone to sh*t and the pandemic has just highlighted it and sped up our demise.
Yeah right. Don’t be an idiot for a change.

Who cares how many titles he's won? I dont understand why this point is constantly being brought up.

This isnt a question of his undisputed greatness on the tennis court.

The problem for Novak is that he was skating on very thin ice when he arrived and only received his entry visa because he was almost certainly knowingly providing the two hamstrung panels charged with assessing non vaccinated players entry eligibility with false or misleading information. Lets not forget that he hadn't gone through a regular visitors visa process like every other international for good reason. He was fortunate that he went through one that left enough wriggle room for him to fudge his answers and gain a visa. A visa that he knew he wouldn't have received through the normal processes given his public antivax stance and the need to be vaccinated to actually enter the country.

Its on Novak that he went straight through the ice the moment the slightest amount of public scrutiny was brought to bear upon his story. The upshot is that he either signed but didnt read the legal document drawn up on his behalf or he was lying the entire time. Either scenario is likely to be enough to have his visa cancelled and for him booted out of the country.

You know what will make the nation look like a laughing stock? Allowing Novak to continue to play our own processes against itself to the tune of $2.75 million and a 10th title.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
[

Hawke is going to have to show that Djokovic represents a danger to Australia. He's been here a week or so without harming anyone The Judge let him off on the basis of a couple of hours reduced time to reply to the Notice of Intention to Cancel. Same judge. Djokovic is more likely to win the next round than to lose it.

Last edited:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club

It isn't just that it's Djokovic, it's standing up for your own laws.

[

Hawke is going to have to show that Djokovic represents a danger to Australia. He's been here a week or so without harming anyone The Judge let him off on the basis of a couple of hours reduced time to reply to the Notice of Intention to Cancel. Same judge. Djokovic is more likely to win the next round than to lose it.
If true then the Federal government is proving itself even more inept than I thought.

And I didn't think they were very ept to begin with, so that would be some achievement.

Surely they took their time after the initial appeal was upheld to make sure they had a watertight case? Or were they just stalling to make their announcement on a Friday evening (when most of the press pack have gone home for the weekend) like they normally do with difficult announcements?

Back