Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

No why would I, that’s not what I’m paid to do 🤷‍♂️

All I’m saying is after two years if we can’t cope with 1000 extra patients across a state, imagine the carnage if we ever have to deal with a more serious pandemic (compared to the one right now with a relatively mild strain and 95% vax rates)

If we’re looking at using hotels as make shift hospitals now that sounds like a step in the right direction, I wouldn’t be surprised if 50% of the patients currently in care wouldn’t be better off just resting at home

My understanding from a first source is onply the “ vulnerable “ are admitted.

But I get it , you are of the belief this is not a “serious pandemic “
A lot of governments around the world don’t share your view.

As a compromise, what if Djokovic played in full PPE - would also be a nod to all the healthcare workers?

I think this could work in the health system too - anyone deliberately unvaxed has to wear full PPE from the moment they consider presenting at a health care service provider until they are back home.
Surely that's the least they can do, seeing the sacrifices health care staff have made over almost 2 years?

Listening to the court case with interest. There is no way Djokovic should lose this case on the evidence given and the reason the visa was revoked. The world is watching and we as a country are also on trial.

This is not related to the visa issues, purely commentary on media apologists getting their 'views' on Djokovic our there on the ABC website.
Firstly Tracey Holmes' initial article when the saga commenced, sounded like a fan-girl rather than a journalist. (She's since toned down her bias in subsequent articles.) No, Tracey, getting one Slam win ahead of Nadal/Federer doesn't automatically confer 'greatest' status on him. Just ask anyone to name all the test batsmen who have made more career runs than Bradman.

Then there's this today from European correspondent Isabella Higgins:

"It was here the tennis star spent time as a child at his grandfather’s apartment, and where locals say he sheltered from bombs that dropped on the city during the Kosovo War in the late 1990s."

Makes it sound like the Serbs were victims. No context about them being the acknowledged genocidal aggressors following the Yugoslavian breakup.

(Full disclosure: I have some minor Slovenian heritage, so no skin in the game in any Serb-Bosnian-Croat conflict, just find it disingenuous that a journalist on the ground could write something like that.)

Anyway, not COVID related per se, just an observation of 'journalism'.

I think we've covered this angle somewhere in the previous 500 pages, but thought it worth posting this article:

This is not related to the visa issues, purely commentary on media apologists getting their 'views' on Djokovic our there on the ABC website.
Firstly Tracey Holmes' initial article when the saga commenced, sounded like a fan-girl rather than a journalist. (She's since toned down her bias in subsequent articles.) No, Tracey, getting one Slam win ahead of Nadal/Federer doesn't automatically confer 'greatest' status on him. Just ask anyone to name all the test batsmen who have made more career runs than Bradman.

"It was here the tennis star spent time as a child at his grandfather’s apartment, and where locals say he sheltered from bombs that dropped on the city during the Kosovo War in the late 1990s."

Makes it sound like the Serbs were victims. No context about them being the acknowledged genocidal aggressors following the Yugoslavian breakup.

(Full disclosure: I have some minor Slovenian heritage, so no skin in the game in any Serb-Bosnian-Croat conflict, just find it disingenuous that a journalist on the ground could write something like that.)

Holmes has form, up to her armpits in the sacking of the Matildas coach after being fuelled by one view of what 'really' happened.
Not always objective Ms Holmes.

Listening to the court case with interest. There is no way Djokovic should lose this case on the evidence given and the reason the visa was revoked. The world is watching and we as a country are also on trial.
Arguments finished, Court's adjourned, judgment to be delivered later this afternoon. I don't know how long you persevered but what looked like a fight on quality of evidence became a fight on what the parameters of the Minister's discretion are and whether Hawke complied. In football terms, after half time, Bev changed the game plan, the game was forced onto Bulldog's strengths, the umpires got more involved and this time it isn't Razor Ray. Fingers crossed.

Sometimes legal speak is double Dutch to me, but the legal team for the government were saying that Djokovic’s didn’t actively say he was an ‘anti-vaxxer’ but by his actions he was promoting ‘anti-vax’ sentiment in the community??? I think the community had made up its own mind well before the Joker came to town. And if they are talking about a few hundred Serbs waving flags in the city then that is a strange argument. An interesting but also strange case. It will have ramifications down the path no matter which way they decide.

Arguments finished, Court's adjourned, judgment to be delivered later this afternoon. I don't know how long you persevered but what looked like a fight on quality of evidence became a fight on what the parameters of the Minister's discretion are and whether Hawke complied. In football terms, after half time, Bev changed the game plan, the game was forced onto Bulldog's strengths, the umpires got more involved and this time it isn't Razor Ray. Fingers crossed.
I haven’t tuned in at all today but I thought it was always going to be about whether the minister has exercised his discretion properly (not sure if “fairness” is even a factor).

That’s why commentators have been saying it’s a hard appeal to win.

Regardless of the specifics of this case and the unfolding of the whole Novakgate saga it might be an important test case for future challenges to the absoluteness of the minister’s discretion. The unresolved case of the Biloela family springs readily to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No mention of all the Ratko Mladic murials which outnumber the Djokovic ones in Belgrade. Serbs can rightfully support Novak and his current fight to stay in Australia, but they just cannot resist playing the historical victim card.

Sometimes legal speak is double Dutch to me, but the legal team for the government were saying that Djokovic’s didn’t actively say he was an ‘anti-vaxxer’ but by his actions he was promoting ‘anti-vax’ sentiment in the community??? I think the community had made up its own mind well before the Joker came to town. And if they are talking about a few hundred Serbs waving flags in the city then that is a strange argument. An interesting but also strange case. It will have ramifications down the path no matter which way they decide.
Ministers aren't dictators. Hawke had to exercise his discretions along strictly prescribed, by the Migration Act and by Courts, guidelines. legal speak is just the opposite of double dutch, it's obsessively specific. Courts don't always give the result you want but they are independent and impartial, (trumpets sounding and orchestra in crescendo) they guarantee us our quality of life.

I haven’t tuned in at all today but I thought it was always going to be about whether the minister has exercised his discretion properly ..... The unresolved case of the Biloela family springs readily to mind.
Pity. It was viewing well worthwhile, a model of listening to the other bloke's argument, treating it with respect, destroying it without deriding the opponent. Wood and Lloyd are among the very best in Australia, probably the World. I don't know the Biloela case. Courts are in the business of determining whether parties comply with their obligations by Law or agreement. Australian Courts are (louder Orchestra crescendo) as good as is possible. You don't always get the result you want but you do get certainty. You are among the last on BF to need the lesson.

Last edited:

Which side are the good guys in this narrative?

No mention of all the Ratko Mladic murials which outnumber the Djokovic ones in Belgrade. Serbs can rightfully support Novak and his current fight to stay in Australia, but they just cannot resist playing the historical victim card.
Leave the lass alone, Libbver, she's young and trying to make her way in the World. Your ancestors, like mine, left the Old World for many reasons, including that no one looked after them. Here, we do.

In the Federal Court, there are no good guys. The Law is the Ultimate Umpire. PS Keep 'em coming, Scrag. Premiership in 2022 ?

I haven't been watching the trial but I thought you were comparing one of the barristers to Bevo. Just because the court doesn't recognise good guys and bad guys, that doesn't preclude a spectator such as yourself from doing so.

I haven't been watching the trial but I thought you were comparing one of the barristers to Bevo. Just because the court doesn't recognise good guys and bad guys, that doesn't preclude a spectator such as yourself from doing so.
Crickey, Scragg, didn't Ms O'Connor at Braybrook High, Year 11 clear thinking English teach you anything ?

Does this help ScoMo?
I can’t help feeling Novak isn’t a well liked bloke, even amongst his tennis mates, so he is getting the frustrations of many about everything to do with covid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back