Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannot see where it says the deaths are only in the hospitalised group, just that one set of figures tells you the ratios of people hospitalised, and the other the ratios of deaths. Even if your interpretation that the death figures are only applied to hospitalised people is correct (I don't think it does), I would suggest that the majority of people who die are either in hospitals or in old age care homes.
Hospitalisation versus general population is not the issue with your figures. The issue is that you are not accounting for there being a lot more 18-29 year olds and 30-39 year olds than 75-84 year olds and 85+ year olds, but in your maths you're weighting all the age groups the same. Your 95% of deaths being 65 years or older is simply incorrect.

Hospitalisation versus general population is not the issue with your figures. The issue is that you are not accounting for there being a lot more 18-29 year olds and 30-39 year olds than 75-84 year olds and 85+ year olds, but in your maths you're weighting all the age groups the same. Your 95% of deaths being 65 years or older is simply incorrect.
If 1 of the 18-29 year olds dies then 630 85+year olds dies, independent of the relative population sizes of each group. The percentages of deaths from each age group is calculated from the fraction of deaths from that age group relative the total deaths calculated from the adding up all of the different age groups deaths relative to each other.

So just say there are 1,000,000 18-29 year olds to every 100,000 85+ year olds. If one 18-29 year olds dies then 630 85+year olds dies, if two 18-29 year olds dies then 1260 85+year olds dies. Doesn't change if the populations of 18-29 year olds is 2,000,000 etc.

If 1 of the 18-29 year olds dies then 630 85+year olds dies, independent of the relative population sizes of each group. The percentages of deaths from each age group is calculated from the fraction of deaths from that age group relative the total deaths calculated from the adding up all of the different age groups deaths relative to each other.

So just say there are 1,000,000 18-29 year olds to every 100,000 85+ year olds. If one 18-29 year olds dies then 630 85+year olds dies, if two 18-29 year olds dies then 1260 85+year olds dies. Doesn't change if the populations of 18-29 year olds is 2,000,000 etc.
I see where you're struggling. That's not what those figures are. They show the relative risk when a member of each age group contracts the disease. The 85+ year old has a 630 times higher chance of dying compared to 18-29 year olds.

Again, here's the concrete numbers - no maths required:

coronavirus%20covid%20mortality%20us%20by%20age.png

Don't really understand your reply. They have clearly set up a ratio/multiples of how many people die in each group compared to one person dying in the 18-29 age group. After that it is a simple conversion of ratios/multiples to percentages.

That's not quite what it is. It's the likelihood of an individual dying in each age group relative to a 18-29 year old, all else being equal, based on results to date.

They're trying to communicate to people what their risk is of dying, basically.

So if you're 85+ years old you are 630 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than someone who is 18-29 years old.

Obviously that doesn't mean that there have been 630 times as many deaths for 85+ year olds as for 18-29 year olds, as there are so few 85+ year olds.

So you can't use the information in that infographic on its own to extrapolate how many deaths there have been for people in the individual age groups.

I see where you're struggling. That's not what those figures are. They show the relative risk when a member of each age group contracts the disease. The 85+ year old has a 630 times higher chance of dying compared to 18-29 year olds.

Accept that I am wrong. I downloaded data from https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-W/vsak-wrfu/data and did the calcs. Slightly frustrated with how CDC expalins its data. Where does it say/explain at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201.../hospitalization-death-by-age.html#footnote02 that those figures 'show the relative risk when a member of each age group contracts the disease'?

That's not quite what it is. It's the likelihood of an individual dying in each age group relative to a 18-29 year old, all else being equal, based on results to date.

They're trying to communicate to people what their risk is of dying, basically.

So if you're 85+ years old you are 630 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than someone who is 18-29 years old.

Obviously that doesn't mean that there have been 630 times as many deaths for 85+ year olds as for 18-29 year olds, as there are so few 85+ year olds.

So you can't use the information in that infographic on its own to extrapolate how many deaths there have been for people in the individual age groups.
Yep I am wrong. It is about 80% of deaths in the over 64 age groups in the USA.

Australia's over 60 years old % of deaths from COVID-19 is 98%, and over 70 yo it is 92.9%. big difference to USA. https://www.health.gov.au/news/heal...total-cases-and-deaths-by-state-and-territory.
Possible contributory factors below, but ??? Higher black population with lower vitamin D status???

AustraliaUSA

[TD valign="top"] Life expectancy > Men [/TD][TD valign="top"] 80 years
Ranked 1st. 5% more than United States
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 76 years
Ranked 30th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Diseases > Cardiovascular death rate (per 100,000 population) [/TD][TD valign="top"] 136
Ranked 182nd.[/TD][TD valign="top"] 179
Ranked 162nd. 32% more than Australia[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Diseases > Obesity > Female obesity rate [/TD][TD valign="top"] 22%
Ranked 5th.
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 33%
Ranked 3rd. 50% more than Australia
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Circulatory disease deaths [/TD][TD valign="top"] 214 deaths per 100,000 peopl
Ranked 16th.
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 265 deaths per 100,000 peopl
Ranked 5th. 24% more than Australia
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Survival rate > To age 65 > Men [/TD][TD valign="top"] 88.1
Ranked 2nd. 6% more than United States
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 83.35
Ranked 27th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Life expectancy > Healthy years [/TD][TD valign="top"] 71.6 years
Ranked 4th. 6% more than United States
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 67.6 years
Ranked 22nd.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Life expectancy at birth > Years > Total population [/TD][TD valign="top"] 81
Ranked 6th. 5% more than United States
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 77
Ranked 30th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Diseases > Obesity > Obesity rate (men) [/TD][TD valign="top"] 25.5%
Ranked 2nd.
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 33.2%
Ranked 4th. 30% more than Australia
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Death from cancer per million [/TD][TD valign="top"] 15.61 deaths per 100,000 people
Ranked 12th. 14 times more than United States
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 1.14 deaths per 100,000 peopl
Ranked 16th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Life expectancy > Male healthy years [/TD][TD valign="top"] 70.1 years
Ranked 5th. 6% more than United States
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 66.4 years
Ranked 22nd.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Deaths > Early death rate (probability of dying beetween 15 and 60 years) > Males [/TD][TD valign="top"] 46
Ranked 185th.
[/TD][TD valign="top"] 80
Ranked 145th. 74% more than Australia
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Diseases > Obesity > Obesity rate (women) [/TD][TD valign="top"] 25.5%
Ranked 2nd.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Last edited:
Australia's over 60 years old % of deaths from COVID-19 is 98%, and over 70 yo it is 92.9%. big difference to USA. https://www.health.gov.au/news/heal...total-cases-and-deaths-by-state-and-territory.
Possible contributory factors below, but ??? Higher black population with lower vitamin D status???

Ranked 30th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Diseases > Cardiovascular death rate (per 100,000 population) [/TD][TD valign="top"] 136

[TD valign="top"] Diseases > Obesity > Female obesity rate [/TD][TD valign="top"] 22%
Ranked 5th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Circulatory disease deaths [/TD][TD valign="top"] 214 deaths per 100,000 peopl
Ranked 16th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Ranked 27th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Life expectancy > Healthy years [/TD][TD valign="top"] 71.6 years
Ranked 22nd.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Life expectancy at birth > Years > Total population [/TD][TD valign="top"] 81
Ranked 30th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Diseases > Obesity > Obesity rate (men) [/TD][TD valign="top"] 25.5%
Ranked 2nd.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Death from cancer per million [/TD][TD valign="top"] 15.61 deaths per 100,000 people
Ranked 16th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Life expectancy > Male healthy years [/TD][TD valign="top"] 70.1 years
Ranked 22nd.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Deaths > Early death rate (probability of dying beetween 15 and 60 years) > Males [/TD][TD valign="top"] 46
Ranked 185th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Diseases > Obesity > Obesity rate (women) [/TD][TD valign="top"] 25.5%
Ranked 2nd.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
What I take away from that table is nothing to do with the virus but our obesity rates, 1 in 4 wow, what a life of decadence we lead.

What I take away from that table is nothing to do with the virus but our obesity rates, 1 in 4 wow, what a life of decadence we lead.
I should have put a heading on table. It is comparing Australia to USA. Australia on the left. USA on the right. USA obesity in males is 33%.

Interesting article re: pre-existing conditions found in autopsies of COVID-19 deaths

Last edited:

Ranked 30th.
[/TD]

Ranked 5th.
[/TD]

Ranked 16th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Ranked 27th.
[/TD]

Ranked 22nd.
[/TD]

Ranked 30th.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Ranked 2nd.
[/TD]

Ranked 16th.
[/TD]

Ranked 22nd.
[/TD]

Ranked 185th.
[/TD]

Ranked 2nd.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
I’d say the main contributory factors are that we haven’t let the virus run rampant in our society in general, and that it unfortunately got in to Victoria’s aged care sector unchecked.

In Australia (Victoria) the virus is over represented in two groups, aged care patients and health care workers.

I don’t believe there’s much value in trying to draw correlations between what has happened in the USA and Australia.

People are just trying to look for statistics or numbers without looking at each country’s approach to the virus, and patterns within individual countries.

I’d say the main contributory factors are that we haven’t let the virus run rampant in our society in general, and that it unfortunately got in to Victoria’s aged care sector unchecked.

In Australia (Victoria) the virus is over represented in two groups, aged care patients and health care workers.
Saved me saying the same. :) Australia hasn't had a widespread breakout, so the small sample size caveats come into play.

I should have put a heading on table. It is comparing Australia to USA. Australia on the left. USA on the right. Interesting article
Yer, I realised that, ours is around 1 in 4, the USA nearly 1 in 3, really is an indictment on the society that we have set up and exported in the west.

I don’t believe there’s much value in trying to draw correlations between what has happened in the USA and Australia.

People are just trying to look for statistics or numbers without looking at each country’s approach to the virus, and patterns within individual countries.
You could be right. Still I find the some of the health statistic comparisons between Australia and USA interesting. E.g. More obesity, shorter life expectancy.

Like you say, lots of variables country to country. Sweden's obesity rate only 9%, so if there is a direct correlation between obesity and COVID deaths figures in Australia might be worse if no lock downs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could be right. Still I find the some of the health statistic comparisons between Australia and USA interesting. E.g. More obesity, shorter life expectancy.

Like you say, lots of variables country to country. Sweden's obesity rate only 9%, so if there is a direct correlation between obesity and COVID deaths figures in Australia might be worse if no lock downs.
See I hate this type of discussion, because it’s sort of saying such deaths are not as important as healthy peoples deaths.

I was really annoyed at one of your posts the other day when you mentioned that Covid19 deaths were largely in elderly people with underlying conditions that were likely to die soon anyway.

That was an extremely insensitive post.

Yes this virus kills people with other health issues at a far greater rate.

That doesn’t make their deaths any less painful to their families and loved ones.

And it’s still cutting peoples lives short. Regardless of their life already lived.

See I hate this type of discussion, because it’s sort of saying such deaths are not as important as healthy peoples deaths.

I was really annoyed at one of your posts the other day when you mentioned that Covid19 deaths were largely in elderly people with underlying conditions that were likely to die soon anyway.

That was an extremely insensitive post.

Yes this virus kills people with other health issues at a far greater rate.

That doesn’t make their deaths any less painful to their families and loved ones.

And it’s still cutting peoples lives short. Regardless of their life already lived.
My parents both passed in the last 2 years, and my wife 6 years ago, so I understand personal lose and grief. I think the context of those comments were in regards to the other costs to society, including deaths caused as result of extended lockdowns and increased unemployment. Society is always making cost benefit analysis calculations regarding deaths saved/delayed versus other costs. E.g. Speed limits on the roads. If we lowered all the speed limits by 1/3 then there would be a reduction in injuries and deaths but do we? If we locked down society just before every flu season it would also delay deaths/save lives in the same group vulnerable to COVID but we don't. We accept that when we get close to end of life something will kill us. We all die.

My parents both passed in the last 2 years, and my wife 6 years ago, so I understand personal lose and grief. I think the context of those comments were in regards to the other costs to society, including deaths caused as result of extended lockdowns and increased unemployment. Society is always making cost benefit analysis calculations regarding deaths saved/delayed versus other costs. E.g. Speed limits on the roads. If we lowered all the speed limits by 1/3 then there would be a reduction in injuries and deaths but do we? If we locked down society just before every flu season it would also delay deaths/save lives in the same group vulnerable to COVID but we don't. We accept that when we get close to end of life something will kill us. We all die.
You sound like my 81 year old mother, she was adamant she was not for the locking down of society to "save" her, she said she would take responsibility for her own health re her hygiene and socialising practices, I'm 60 and felt much the same way.

Now if a virus came along that was killing children and healthy younger adults I would be 100% for hard lockdowns and containment measures.

Can you clarify where you stand in regards to Victoria’s current lockdown, before we go any further.

Because the crux of any such discussion is, do we let the virus run rampant as it almost appears to be in the USA, or do we try and suppress it as much as possible, as Victoria is currently trying to do.

Because for me, any other in between measures would just really be a controlled release of the virus in society so hospitals could cope over a long period of time, and we’d just see a daily death toll in the high double digits until a vaccine was eventually found, or we killed off a significant percentage of the vulnerable sections of society.

Can you clarify where you stand in regards to Victoria’s current lockdown, before we go any further.

Because the crux of any such discussion is, do we let the virus run rampant as it almost appears to be in the USA, or do we try and suppress it as much as possible, as Victoria is currently trying to do.

Because for me, any other in between measures would just really be a controlled release of the virus in society so hospitals could cope over a long period of time, and we’d just see a daily death toll in the high double digits until a vaccine was eventually found, or we killed off a significant percentage of the vulnerable sections of society.
I support the Swedish Model. Let it run its course. I think that it will inevitably make its way thru society anyway. I have no high hopes of an effective and safe vaccine. The flu vaccine is only between 10-50% effective in any given year, usually closer to 10%. I have grave concerns for the safety of a vaccine.

I would love to see nutritional repletion support for the vulnerable. I would love to see the use of HCQ and zinc protocols.

You sound like my 81 year old mother, she was adamant she was not for the locking down of society to "save" her, she said she would take responsibility for her own health re her hygiene and socialising practices, I'm 60 and felt much the same way.

Now if a virus came along that was killing children and healthy younger adults I would be 100% for hard lockdowns and containment measures.

Nah Jason, I'm almost 70 and I'm all for lock downs to keep me alive, once I "cark it" from too much elderly fun, well then society can do what it likes, but before then I'll put up with being alive and enjoying it for as long as I can.:p

I had a friend die from covid, he was a passenger on the Ruby bloody Princess, in his mid 70's and had a lot of living left to do with family and friends, now that's never going to happen for he or his family. Again, life, at least for me, is quite enjoyable and I'd like to keep it that way.

I support the Swedish Model. Let it run its course. I think that it will inevitably make its way thru society anyway. I have no high hopes of an effective and safe vaccine. The flu vaccine is only between 10-50% effective in any given year, usually closer to 10%. I have grave concerns for the safety of a vaccine.

I would love to see nutritional repletion support for the vulnerable. I would love to see the use of HCQ and zinc protocols.
You've looked at the death rate per capita over the last few months?

You've looked at the death rate per capita over the last few months?

Not just that, but I have seen multiple stories how their economy has fared no better than neighbouring countries that have gone into lockdown to try to save as many lives as possible. Can't for the life of me remember where but it was relatively recently, can anyone else confirm this? So if the economy regresses the same as neighboring countries anyway, what's the point? We'll go down the path of herd immunity just in case the vaccine doesn't work?

Not just that, but I have seen multiple stories how their economy has fared no better than neighbouring countries that have gone into lockdown to try to save as many lives as possible. Can't for the life of me remember where but it was relatively recently, can anyone else confirm this? So if the economy regresses the same as neighboring countries anyway, what's the point? We'll go down the path of herd immunity just in case the vaccine doesn't work?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back