Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
80000 a day in Vic for Xmas holidays n legit crookness ...I have to get one on Xmas morning to travel to Magnetic Island...72 hours prior then another 5 days after I arrive. Risky stuff
You would have thought that the federal and State Governments would have had a system in place that includes the use of the Rapid Antigen Test Kits available from chemists
Have you lined up a place that is open on Christmas Day?

I don't understand why someone else's mask is only effective when you are wearing one.

I don't understand why someone else's vaccination doesn't work unless you are vaccinated as well.

I don't understand how you can simultaneously pitch to the unvaccinated that the vaccine works while at the same time be pitching to the vaccinated that it doesn’t work unless you get ongoing boosters.

I don't understand why in the middle of summer they are putting restrictions on folks over Omicron when it is doing the standard thing for respiratory viruses of being more contagious while less virulent while at the same time opening the borders when it was a 100% predictable outcome

I don't understand why workers in schools who have spent the last two years able to choose are suddenly being mandated when nothing has changed in the negative direction.

I don't understand the fetish for cases over severe illness/deaths

I don't understand why after listening to two years of get vaccinated we are still largely ignorant of what prophylactic and early treatment options are available to us

I don't understand why people are so afraid

I don't understand why the COVID specific consequences are considered so much more important than the health of our society and why the economic, social, educational and psychological outcomes are ignored

I don't understand why the Qld Health website tells us to not use alternative treatments without being able to answer questions about the side effects and the interactions with existing medications while simultaneously pushing everyone to get a non-approved medication still under trail.

I guess I just have a different movie playing in my head. I mean it makes sense if we are dealing with ebola crossed with plague with no symptoms and a 50% death rate and no immunity and we need to dodge a zombie apocalypse but as far as historical pandemics are concerned this one wouldn't even be in the poll for worst pandemic ever.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I don't understand why someone else's mask is only effective when you are wearing one.

I don't understand why someone else's vaccination doesn't work unless you are vaccinated as well.

I don't understand how you can simultaneously pitch to the unvaccinated that the vaccine works while at the same time be pitching to the vaccinated that it doesn’t work unless you get ongoing boosters.

I don't understand why in the middle of summer they are putting restrictions on folks over Omicron when it is doing the standard thing for respiratory viruses of being more contagious while less virulent while at the same time opening the borders when it was a 100% predictable outcome

I don't understand why workers in schools who have spent the last two years able to choose are suddenly being mandated when nothing has changed in the negative direction.

I don't understand the fetish for cases over severe illness/deaths

I don't understand why after listening to two years of get vaccinated we are still largely ignorant of what prophylactic and early treatment options are available to us

I don't understand why people are so afraid

I don't understand why the COVID specific consequences are considered so much more important than the health of our society and why the economic, social, educational and psychological outcomes are ignored

I don't understand why the Qld Health website tells us to not use alternative treatments without being able to answer questions about the side effects and the interactions with existing medications while simultaneously pushing everyone to get a non-approved medication still under trail.

I guess I just have a different movie playing in my head. I mean it makes sense if we are dealing with ebola crossed with plague with no symptoms and a 50% death rate and no immunity and we need to dodge a zombie apocalypse but as far as historical pandemics are concerned this one wouldn't even be in the poll for worst pandemic ever.
Fantastic post, exactly how I feel about it and I have been posting as much in various Covid threads elsewhere on big footy, usually stay away from Covid talk on the Lions board as I like it as a sanctuary away from it.

Personal responsibility, wear a mask if you want, if you don't think that's enough and/or you don't trust the efficacy of the vaccine you took maybe buy a hazmat suit if you want to brave the outside world.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
not sure that many people across the nation would get tested in a single day to produce such a number
100%, posted this on another board >

I haven't read their modelling report but to get 200,000 cases a day how many tests would they have to do? I'd suggest millions, I don't think we'd have the resources to even do that many tests per day, it's just blatant fear mongering and the press lovingly eat it up and regurgitate it as click bait.

I thought this must be miss reporting of a figure. But link below confirms the number and referrers to "Doherty Institute Modeling"
Even if the modeling was a TOTAL of 250.000 i doubt we get anywhere that figure

Paul Kelly (CHO, not How to Make Gravy) has slapped the media for their reporting of this. They're literally reporting a single number based off a number of worst case assumptions:
  1. Omicron variant is as severe as the Delta variant,
  2. an absence of hospital surge capacity,
  3. a highly limited booster program,
  4. no change to baseline public health and social measures,
  5. an absence of spontaneous behaviour change in the face of rising case numbers
There's already plenty of doubt on #1, there are plans in place for #2, #3 is already rolling out and at capacity (currently only limited by available doses), and #5 will probably eventuate to a degree. #4 is about the only one that probably won't happen (at least federally and in NSW) given politics. So the media has focused on a worst case number that is almost definitely not going to happen - ignoring other more likely scenarios in the report.

Some_guy

Senior List
Aug 27, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do hope it soon becomes confirmed that Omicron is confirmed less severe. But there is still plenty of valid concern with how much more contagious Omicron is

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I like this CHO... common sense >

Now we need him to say "case" numbers will not be released and they will only be releasing hospitalisation and death numbers and with Omicron seeming to be way less severe... Wah Lah the pandemic is over.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
He will get lauded as a hero but let’s not forget he gets to stand on the shoulders of Jeanette Young who had to navigate us through a far more precarious and unpopular phase of the pandemic and copped revolting abuse for it.

Didn't know where to put this - mods Delete as appropriate please.

The four of us living at home in Qld are recovering from covid. All double vaccinated, no specific result yet but assume it was the omicron strain.

Three days of mild symptoms - headache, throat, gut, tired and bit fuzzy thinking. Two years ago it would have been ignored and life as usual.

Lot less scary now we have had it. Hope you all have the same it a lesser experience.

Bloody music festivals.

The four of us living at home in Qld are recovering from covid. All double vaccinated, no specific result yet but assume it was the omicron strain.

Three days of mild symptoms - headache, throat, gut, tired and bit fuzzy thinking. Two years ago it would have been ignored and life as usual.

Lot less scary now we have had it. Hope you all have the same it a lesser experience.

Bloody music festivals.
Get well soon Gadz.

Surly Boy

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2011
Brisneyland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Bloody music festivals.
Speedy recovery to you and your family!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Bloody music festivals.
Best wishes for your whole family.

Ours are getting vaccinated, not out of any deep seated desire to protect family members but rather to protect the kids. COVID is generally less problematic in kids but there are still examples of kids getting very sick from it. Many more than cases of people having issues with these vaccines. If we can protect them, why shouldn't we? But that's just our logic.

A lot more compelled to lock this in now given the Omicron variant is being better studied:

Of particular concern are the rising hospitalizations among children. More than 4,000 children are currently in the hospital with COVID-19, an all-time high in the pandemic, according to tracking by The Washington Post. The current number of hospitalized children is nearly double that from two weeks ago, when fewer than 2,000 were hospitalized. Several doctors and health experts have anecdotally reported seeing higher levels of COVID-related croup and bronchiolitis in children.

In an interview Sunday on CBS's Face the Nation, former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration Scott Gottlieb said that omicron appears to cause more disease in the upper airway rather than deep in the lung, where severe disease can take hold. That may be a problem for "very young children—toddlers—who have trouble with upper airway infections, and you're in fact seeing more croup-like infections and bronchiolitis in New York City among children."

Because omicron attacks the throat, not the lungs, the rest of us get less severe symptoms (in general) but it's affecting kids more. We've already spent a couple of nights in hospital due to croup for one of our daughters - a pretty awful experience. :(

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
51,356 cases in Victoria today...

.. it makes a mockery of the last 2yrs of lockdowns, what a catastrophic waste, families kept apart, business's collapse, tourism almost destroyed, a society of carefree citizens now seem to be at each others throats and just generally angry......and now we are going to be having food shortages in our supermarkets for various reasons, major stores e.g K-Mart closing due to lack of staff with Covid..

The lockdowns stopped nothing....the virus just waited for us to come out of our hidey holes and pounced, got ya!

I cry for what this country has become.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

.. it makes a mockery of the last 2yrs of lockdowns, what a catastrophic waste, families kept apart, business's collapse, tourism almost destroyed, a society of carefree citizens now seem to be at each others throats and just generally angry......and now we are going to be having food shortages in our supermarkets for various reasons, major stores e.g K-Mart closing due to lack of staff with Covid..

The lockdowns stopped nothing....the virus just waited for us to come out of our hidey holes and pounced, got ya!

Compare the vaccination rates now to then.

How does it make a mockery of the last 2 years? A lot less dead people is a good thing, but that is just my weird lefty opinion. If we had these infection numbers a year ago it would have been a bloodbath.

Covid was always going to become endemic, the plan was to slow it down until we got the vaccination rate to a high level. That is what we’ve done.

Last edited:

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC

That includes a week's worth of RATs being counted for the first time, so not really 51,000 today.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
That includes a week's worth of RATs being counted for the first time, so not really 51,000 today.

That’s the RATs that have actually reported. I know plenty that haven’t. Numbers down here would be significantly higher than being reported on a daily basis.

I should note those that haven’t reported are still doing their week in isolation.

how do you confirm your positive rat test ?
A positive RAT is considered a "likely positive", and should be sufficient for most government purposes equivalent to a PCR. No need to confirm any more.

Back