Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

But shutting then lets people know there will be more stock at opening creating bigger crowds which causes more panic. Its a bit of a catch-22 for them

People are currently smashing into stores early to make sure they get what they need because if they come mid arvo it is empty. The only thing that will stop that mindset is to have stock during the rest of the day. Currently, it is not possible to even get that much stock, so further purchasing restrictions need to be put in place to slow down the buying.

Woolies today has further purchase restrictions which will be adapted by coles and aldi by tomorrow id say.

Almost 1,500 schools shut down in the US. Australia just happened to escape it.
But we didnt escape swine flu.40000 is a lot of cases and 1000 is a lot of deaths.
It just seems we brushed it aside as not an issue whereas this time its armageddon.I am not saying its not serious but we need to keep perspective.
The Diamond Princess was the perfect place for infection with a captive audience for days but still only 3% infected I believe.

That's crazy. I honestly thought anything like that would violate our constitution.

Actually looks like it is, but they're gambling that no one will challenge (or it will take long enough for it to be overtaken):

"We have section 92 of the Australian constitution and it says trade, commerce and intercourse amongst the states shall be absolutely free," Professor Williams said.

(https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...nia-border-close-what-do-experts-say/12060600)
There was a lot of talk yesterday of WA doing this. The media kept questioning the WA premier if this was an option, and he kept evading the question.

If I had to guess, I reckon WA and the NT will do the same at some point.

But we didnt escape swine flu.40000 is a lot of cases and 1000 is a lot of deaths.
It just seems we brushed it aside as not an issue whereas this time its armageddon.I am not saying its not serious but we need to keep perspective.
It's like there's a massive blind spot in Australia as to how bad swine flu was. It's bizarre.

I’m not sure I heard that correctly, but it sounded like the deputy cmo just said parents have to learn to keep their distance from their children in their own home.

WTF

The Diamond Princess was the perfect place for infection with a captive audience for days but still only 3% infected I believe.
The Diamond Princess had 712 cases from ~3800 crew and passengers.

That’s about 18% from a rough guess.

I’m not sure I heard that correctly, but it sounded like the deputy cmo just said parents have to learn to keep their distance from their children in their own home.

WTF

lol yet teachers are expected to supervise and teach hundreds and hundreds of kids.

I think the deputy DMO answered, when questioned, that the government does have a figure in mind about when they’ll decide to close schools. He said there are a number of factors that influence this decision.

He also said looking at the UK deaths, that he believes they have far more infected than what their official figure is.

That might be the last time the deputy dmo gives a media conference. He’s not as good at evasive answers.

I hope they keep sending him out.

I did read last week that freezers and fridge sales have gone through the roof to the point that the likes of Harvey Norman and Good Guys etc. don't have stock and won't be getting a replenishment for months.

No doubt that those buying freezers are the hoarders that are continuously buying every day.

Apparently gas canisters for small camping stoves have sold out as well. LOL the people hoarding meat and freezers are also buying stuff for when the electricity runs out. They need a lot cause they'll have to cook all their meat at once. Blind panic.

Apparently gas canisters for small camping stoves have sold out as well. LOL the people hoarding meat and freezers are also buying stuff for when the electricity runs out. They need a lot cause they'll have to cook all their meat at once. Blind panic.
Bit like Americans buying guns to shoot away the virus. :oops:

This would not help. There are also restrictions on when some stores can even get deliveries because of the truck and load dock noises. Trading 24/7 would mean you need twice as many staff to simply keep the store open, so you are getting stretched even more thin. Also never closed means less time for effective cleaning.

Stocking shelves isnt easy and it is much easier to do with no public in the store. Many of those 5000 staff will be used to pick and pack stock from warehouses and the rest used in stores to fill stock.

If anything, if this doesnt stop you will see trading hours reduced further.
Thanks Chopper. The lack of staff reason isn’t a factor as that’s more about cost as labour will be easy to find over the next little while as the tourism, dining and entertainment industries close. To offset the extra cost in labour simply put up prices to cover (shouldn’t be much on a % basis).
Agree that it couldn’t be 24/7 because of effective cleaning. So make it 22/7 and do shelf stacking then too.
With regards to noise around docks councils and governments are going to have to enact some exemptions I feel. People need to realise we are in extraordinary times so rules and ways of doing things need adjusting by regulators. Do you think what they are doing in hospitals in China and Italy meet standards and regulations?

I raise the 24/7 supermarket trading because in other countries they trade 24/7 and they are not having the same issues as the countries without 24/7. However, I do acknowledge your the expert in this field and I’m just a layman.

There was a lot of talk yesterday of WA doing this. The media kept questioning the WA premier if this was an option, and he kept evading the question.

If I had to guess, I reckon WA and the NT will do the same at some point.
Do we need Trumpy , get those walls up.

Do we need Trumpy , get those walls up.
The quarantine area in the warehouse is demarcated with a yellow line on the floor to keep the bugs in the designated area. I think we need to seriously consider implementing this technology everywhere and paint yellow lines around everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol yet teachers are expected to supervise and teach hundreds and hundreds of kids.
My other half is a preppy teacher's aid, she is not impressed atm.
It's laughable that our pollies tell us that the kids can keep going to school due to their resilience, nothing about when they go home or HELLO the teachers and staff that have to put up with parents sending their little brats to school with snott dripping down their faces.
I say laughable that the Pollies think we don't think past what they say to us and do not contemplate that we may think over matters for ourselves.
They are the dumbasses. give me Boris any day over these wet bags.
It's a little patronizing to say the least.

Boris sounds good but his policies seem like they're going to get a hell of a lot of people killed.

But then that's always been his talent - no one makes it past those first three words.

My other half is a preppy teacher's aid, she is not impressed atm.
It's laughable that our pollies tell us that the kids can keep going to school due to their resilience, nothing about when they go home or HELLO the teachers and staff that have to put up with parents sending their little brats to school with snott dripping down their faces.
I say laughable that the Pollies think we don't think past what they say to us and do not contemplate that we may think over matters for ourselves.
It's a little patronizing to say the least.
Our girls School has a very strict policy that when any student either comes to school with symptoms or begin to get symptoms through any given day they will be isolated in a designated room until the Parent can come to pick them up and are not allowed to go back to school without a medical certificate to say they are clear.

Do people think it's a cyclone?

Do people think it's a cyclone?

The problem word there is 'think'. There's none of that going on. Once the grocery shops are fully stocked and are staying fully stocked there might be a few embarrassed people around.

We know people who panic bought openly at first and told us what they were getting and are now denying it. Said they were buying for friends.

The problem word there is 'think'. There's none of that going on. Once the grocery shops are fully stocked and are staying fully stocked there might be a few embarrassed people around.

We know people who panic bought openly at first and told us what they were getting and are now denying it. Said they were buying for friends.
Maybe it’s quite the opposite and there is too much thinking going on? 🤯

I reckon the number of doomsday preppers will spike considerably across the globe as a result of Covid-19.

No doubt the hoarders out here in Australia in the next 3-5 years will always they ensure they have a very healthy supply of everything moving forward until they forget why they were hoarding in the first place.

Our girls School has a very strict policy that when any student either comes to school with symptoms or begin to get symptoms through any given day they will be isolated in a designated room until the Parent can come to pick them up and are not allowed to go back to school without a medical certificate to say they are clear.
Her school has those policies as well, but like you say kids get sent to school already with cold/flew symptoms.

Nope.

They think at some point 50% of the population will all be infected with coronavirus, at the same time, and our utilities will stop working.
Haven't they said that 80% of people who are infected will either have no or very mild symptoms, which will probably all be in the under 60(working age) bracket.

Haven't they said that 80% of people who are infected will either have no or very mild symptoms, which will probably all be in the under 60(working age) bracket.
But you can’t go to work when you have it.

The deputy CMO said today, if you’re sick with anything, Stay Home. Don’t go to work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back