Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive assumption there. I am not a Labor supporter. I vote informal in the Reps and below the line in the Senate.
I’m not a Labour voter though; never have been. I just call bullshit out when it’s plain as day that the Federal Government are regurgitating utter bullshit and ignoring error after error and minions in the burbs just lap it up.
All good guys. I was just using your posts as examples, not really you guys personally.

Yet that was the advice that WAS conveyed to the AFL at the time.

A week later, that advice got superseded by the actions of the States in closing their borders.

Did you see that coming?

Are you suggesting we should all ignore medical advice from now on because of what transpired back then?
Go back in this thread and read what many from this Lions board were saying and have maintained well before the season started that yes the medical advice was seriously flawed way back then. The medical “experts” such as Greg Hunt / Chief Medical Officer are puppets being propped up and spouting a narrative to support the governments economic position.

The majority of people will follow party lines they always have regardless of what happens, or who does what.

Liberal supporters will post garbage like you and kenburger posted.

And Labor supporters will post crap like what 3KZ is Football and Dylan12 posted.

The only people who are likely to change their voting will be those who are directly affected, or are relatives of directly affected people, and feel they’ve been left behind by the government.

I’m a swing voter from a hardcore union and labor family. I voted for Howard and Turnbull. Usually vote Greens these days.

So far I believe Morrison has acted to slowly in closing the borders, and allowing people to quarantine at home.

I think his stimulus packages have been good.

I’ll wait until we’re on the other side before I make up my mind on ScoMo.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the closure of State borders was a State by State decision.

The Queensland Government was the last to act in this regard and there have been substantial unintended consequences as a result.

A lot of people knew a fortnight before the start of the season that it would be foolish to start the season because of the inevitable, so I don’t buy your comment necessarily given many were screaming for us to shut our borders six weeks before and lockdown a good month before.
A lot of people, is not all.
I can see things from an AFL perspective, it’s obvious you can’t.
That was my point

Go back in this thread and read what many from this Lions board were saying and have maintained well before the season started that yes the medical advice was seriously flawed way back then. The medical “experts” such as Greg Hunt / Chief Medical Officer are puppets being propped up and spouting a narrative to support the governments economic position.
100% correct. That is why Morrison won’t release the modelling he is allegedly using to support his decisions and why the Andrew’s government in Victoria are going to do what they see fit, rather than following Scotty Five-O out of some sense of National Cabinet solidarity. Morrison was “rolled” on schools once and he will be again.

On a somewhat lighter note. This man is my current favourite person appearing in any news story anywhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ing-coronavirus-device?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Last edited:
The medical “experts” such as Greg Hunt / Chief Medical Officer are puppets being propped up and spouting a narrative to support the governments economic position.

The Federal Government's Economic position as at today is to inject $130 Billion, representing 10% of the nations GDP into small to medium businesses to keep wage and salary earners on their books until such time as this crisis hopefully passes. Full time, part time and casual workers will all benefit. From what I've read and heard in the media this radical move has been almost universally praised, even by the Union movement.

The payments are to be overseen by the ATO to ensure that businesses pass on ALL of the payments. All of the usual bullshit red tape that normally accompanies this sort of thing has been cut.

There is a National cabinet that consists of the State premiers and the PM. This has been endorsed by that cabinet.

Labor is in government in the states of Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia, and in both the Australian Capital Territory and Northern Territory

Gee, that Morrison fella must be one hell of a snake oil salesman to get all those ALP Premiers to go along with this.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the closure of State borders was a State by State decision.

The Queensland Government was the last to act in this regard and there have been substantial unintended consequences as a result.
Australian borders.

We should have done this 8 weeks ago. Not two weeks ago.

It is very very possible that the curve has not flattened.

People saying it is and crowing about how good our management have been could be going way too early.

Consquences of that could be dire. It's why Morrison was very clear yesterday in saying that the social distancing measures couldn't be relaxed. I'm worried with the way the media is reporting the data, people won't take social distancing seriously.

It is very very possible that the curve has not flattened.

People saying it is and crowing about how good our management have been could be going way too early.

Consquences of that could be dire. It's why Morrison was very clear yesterday in saying that the social distancing measures couldn't be relaxed. I'm worried with the way the media is reporting the data, people won't take social distancing seriously.

Narr.. they held off on reporting the good news for a week, it's now being highlighted because it's to obvious to ignore and always with strong warning around being complacent.

I think some positive news amougst the absolute and utter dread is needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australian borders.

We should have done this 8 weeks ago. Not two weeks ago.

Granted

How many here or elsewhere were calling for the closure of our national borders 8 weeks ago?

How many governments in the world took this action 8 weeks ago?

8 weeks ago was the the 3rd of February.

I can't get the data about how many Covid-19 cases we had on the 3rd of February but I do know we had only 5 cases on the 15th of February. Australia didn't record it's first death until the 1st of March

The Australian all Ordinaries Index was at around 7100 and near it's all time highs on the 3rd of February. Goddamn it, why wasn't I told about Covid-19 and it's effects? I could have cashed out all my shares and been lots and lots of $ better off than I am now

If there were any calls on this Forum or any other Forum on the 3rd of February to "shut the gates" ,then all power to the new Nostradamus of Bigfooty

Ah....hindsight.....such a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
The Federal Government's Economic position as at today is to inject $130 Billion, representing 10% of the nations GDP into small to medium businesses to keep wage and salary earners on their books until such time as this crisis hopefully passes. Full time, part time and casual workers will all benefit. From what I've read and heard in the media this radical move has been almost universally praised, even by the Union movement.

The payments are to be overseen by the ATO to ensure that businesses pass on ALL of the payments. All of the usual bullshit red tape that accompanies this sort of thing has been cut.

There is a National cabinet that consists of the State premiers and the PM. This has been endorsed by that cabinet.

Labor is in government in the states of Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia, and in both the Australian Capital Territory and Northern Territory

Gee, that Morrison fella must be one hell of a snake oil salesman to get all those ALP Premiers to go along with this.
The State Premiers are irrelevant in terms of these expenditure measures, because they are decisions taken by the Federal Government. The “National Cabinet” is an advisory body and that is it. Sure they will endorse the package, it’s pumping money into the economy. These measures will also get waved through the Federal Parliament, because people recognise the economy, employees and employers need support and everyone will take what is on offer. Where Morrison’s “snake oil” will be rejected by State Premiers is when he seeks to dictate policy in areas where he has no constitutional authority, most notably in Education, but not exclusively. Dan Andrew’s has already made that clear through his actions.

Last edited:
Narr.. they held off on reporting the good news for a week, it's now being highlighted because it's to obvious to ignore and always with strong warning around being complacent.

I think some positive news amougst the absolute and utter dread is needed.

Scott Morrison and the Brendan Murphy were very targeted in their statements yesterday. Very specific to mention that social distancing practices had to continue or we'd start to see jumps in the number.

That nuance has been lost on social media and on television in the chase for "positive news". We're in the middle of a pandemic, if the cost of positive news is decrease in social distancing than it is not worth the cost.

My biggest fear, and it could be unfounded, is that we're rolling the dice with our current testing regime to tread water until we get more testing in. We might only know this when we start seeing an influx of our older at risk population presenting at hospitals en masse with severe symptoms. We'll then know community transmission is occuring, but it could be too late.

There has to be a reason why we are still turning people with the symptoms away from testing centres and I'm sure we've got some kind of data to predict community transmission, but still, the thought of it going on undetected until it's too late is really scary. We've got a really strong medical system and some fantastic people advising Murphy, who is constantly seeking out new data, so I'm sure they've done the modelling on this and have decided it's unlikely enough to proceed as planned.

I'm still worried for my boomer friends who I still see out on my weekly shop not social distancing, licking their fingers and picking up 50 pieces of fruit to check for ripeness and stuff. Is the message getting across?

Worldometers - Coronavirus Australia.

The Worldometer is based on a "close off": of 0.00 GMT. Or 10am AEST

However I've noticed that there is always a lag of up to 3 hours where Cases and deaths still get added to the Worldometer totals up till about 3.00 GMT.

The Australian totals on our local data bases operate on a different time frame. They are based on 3.00pm AEST

That's why Worldometer daily figures can and do vary significantly from those reported on the Australian Government Department of Health website

It doesn't really matter that much

It's just that you get a different snapshot in time depending on which source you access

Granted

How many here or elsewhere were calling for the closure of our national borders 8 weeks ago?

How many governments in the world took this action 8 weeks ago?

8 weeks ago was the the 3rd of February

The Australian all Ordinaries Index was at around 7100 and near it's all time highs. Goddamn it, why wasn't I told about Covid-19 and it's effects? I could have cashed out all my shares and been lots and lots of $ better off than I am now

If there were any calls on this Forum or any other Forum on the 3rd of February to "shut the gates" ,then all power to the new Nostradamus of Bigfooty

Ah....hindsight.....such a wonderful thing.
I did capitalise on my foresight thanks Luthor in both a monetary way and ensuring the safety of my family. If you look at my posts there has been no hindsight on my part. Just because much of the country was blindsided by this and Morrison appeased them by acting slowly please don’t think anyone holding him to account is doing so with hindsight. This was actually one event that was easy to predict if you had of educated yourself earlier enough. The fact that his first stimulus package was $18 billion on 12 March and only 18 days later he has increased it to $300 billion just shows you how badly he underestimated this crisis. It’s quite embarrassing really when you think about it.

Good article this morning on why we're still limiting gatherings despite the numbers looking better.

Community transmissions rising and overall dip in total numbers can be attributed to less overseas travellers.

Scott Morrison and the Brendan Murphy were very targeted in their statements yesterday. Very specific to mention that social distancing practices had to continue or we'd start to see jumps in the number.

That nuance has been lost on social media and on television in the chase for "positive news". We're in the middle of a pandemic, if the cost of positive news is decrease in social distancing than it is not worth the cost.

My biggest fear, and it could be unfounded, is that we're rolling the dice with our current testing regime to tread water until we get more testing in. We might only know this when we start seeing an influx of our older at risk population presenting at hospitals en masse with severe symptoms. We'll then know community transmission is occuring, but it could be too late.

There has to be a reason why we are still turning people with the symptoms away from testing centres and I'm sure we've got some kind of data to predict community transmission, but still, the thought of it going on undetected until it's too late is really scary. We've got a really strong medical system and some fantastic people advising Murphy, who is constantly seeking out new data, so I'm sure they've done the modelling on this and have decided it's unlikely enough to proceed as planned.

I'm still worried for my boomer friends who I still see out on my weekly shop not social distancing, licking their fingers and picking up 50 pieces of fruit to check for ripeness and stuff. Is the message getting across?

Yep - I understand but we can't hide the graphs though.

That is our story today, to me it feels like we are half way through the first 1/4 - so there's no gloating, relaxing or Scomo back patting yet (I'll never give him credit either way LOL) - we are just 2 goals up againts a very good opponent ATM.

I heard someone on 774 say much more readily available tests kits are about 6 weeks away and they nope to be able to implement a test and trace stratagy around that time.

What ever way you look it, and slice it and dice it, we are in a pleasing position right now - even conservative estimates had us at 15k on this day 2 weeks ago.

It's only just the beginning but 7k less now, means 200k less in a month even with a rapid rise on community uptake, it just plots a more manageable graph.

Such low mortality rates are also amazing.

I watch with trepidation what is happening around the world and am cautiously buoyed by our numbers - there are laws in place around. compliance and I would hope people would comply, I'm not going to palm away any hint of positive news though.

This Guy has been tracking our infection projection - had us on target for 295k infections by April 15 early on, now his forecast has us tracking for 8k by April 15th.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200331-084049_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200331-084049_Twitter.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 44

Remove this Banner Ad

Back