Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL have to start thinking of contingencies, what happens if a player gets it and the whole team has to go into 14 day quarantine?
As long as a full/partial membership refund and free subscription to Kayo is part of a contingency.

And that the 2020 draft goes by the 2019 ladder.

AFL have to start thinking of contingencies, what happens if a player gets it and the whole team has to go into 14 day quarantine?
It was just a matter of time.

These are young guys who go out and mix with people.

This might sound dramatic but I wouldn't be surprised if the whole season got shut down at some point.

Who did Freo play last week?
Exactly . You only have to look at the rapidity of clusters in Italy and what's about to happen in the US to see that it's inevitable the competition could literally fall apart in a week or two if players at one or more clubs got it.

No one believes it can happen until it does.

Let's hope the Freo player is in the clear but expect a plethora of tests and positive results coming over the next few weeks

Exactly . You only have to look at the rapidity of clusters in Italy and what's about to happen in the US to see that it's inevitable the competition could literally fall apart in a week or two if players at one or more clubs got it.

No one believes it can happen until it does.

Let's hope the Freo player is in the clear but expect a plethora of tests and positive results coming over the next few weeks
Yeah, I’m wondering if it’s more wide spread in the USA than what is currently known.

3 of our recent cases are people who returned from the USA.

Good to see even the AFL over-reacting to this now. Wait until they play games with crowds shut out.
I assume you’re being sarcastic? If not, It’s an appropriate reaction to a virus that there isn’t enough information about yet. A football team travelling around the country unaware they could have the infection could accelerate things here.

Geesus, the mortality rate in Italy is surpassing that of Wuhan (let alone China).

Geesus, the mortality rate in Italy is surpassing that of Wuhan (let alone China).

A lot of the rural areas of Italy (and other parts of Europe) have a very high concentration of the elderly. My assumption, given the site doesn't break down figures to that degree, would be that the virus is showing similar mortality rates as it has elsewhere but has found a very vulnerable population.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've moved some of this discussion into its own thread because this is going to be a topic of interest going forward. Any COVID-19 related discussions can take part in this thread - if it's related to the AFL, great, but even if it's not just as a catch all.

If a diagnosis is confirmed, this could have massive effects on AFL season 2020.

Good to see even the AFL over-reacting to this now. Wait until they play games with crowds shut out.
I stand to be corrected, but I agree with you, the world is going mad. From what I have read the vast majority of the population will be fine, it's the elderly/frail that have to be vigilant and take measures to limit possible exposure. IMO this will run it's course, people will die as they do from the Flu/Pneumonia etc every year but the world as we know it will not end.

Swine flu, H1N1, SARS, Bird flu, Corona.

I stand to be corrected, but I agree with you, the world is going mad. From what I have read the vast majority of the population will be fine, it's the elderly/frail that have to be vigilant and take measures to limit possible exposure. IMO this will run it's course, people will die as they do from the Flu/Pneumonia etc every year but the world as we know it will not end.

Swine flu, H1N1, SARS, Bird flu, Corona.

While probably true about it running its course, the question is - if we don't react, what happens if it does mutate into a version with a higher mortality rate? That's not uncommon amongst spreading viruses. Precautions might seem trivial now, but they are also going some way to mitigate a worst case scenario.

While probably true about it running its course, the question is - if we don't react, what happens if it does mutate into a version with a higher mortality rate? That's not uncommon amongst spreading viruses. Precautions might seem trivial now, but they are also going some way to mitigate a worst case scenario.
It may already have happened.

I agree to take precautions although talk of cancelling the AFL season or playing games before empty stadiums is over the top IMO. Teams take precautions now by isolating players from the rest of the group when they get a virus/flu etc, just continue doing that.

I'm not rushing out to buy copious amounts of toilet paper anytime soon.

Having serious problems getting the hands on toilet paper, even the public toilets have been stripped bare! Talk about the quick and the dead.
Looks like we may have to put the garden hose through the window and Jerry rig a bidet. On the downside, winter is coming too!

I agree to take precautions although talk of cancelling the AFL season or playing games before empty stadiums is over the top IMO. Teams take precautions now by isolating players from the rest of the group when they get a virus/flu etc, just continue doing that.

I believe you're wrong and don't understand the impact or repurcussions of this virus at all.

Worlds epidimiology experts have been on the money from the beginning. Italy is now in total lockdown. We've been flying in people from all over Italy and anywhere else for weeks . Mortality rates in Italy are staggering. 5 US congressmen now have it and it'll break out there sooner rather than later .

Anyone who doesn't think we'll have lockdowns and the AFL season is at risk has their head in the sand . This is not the flu,there is no vaccine ,it's highly contagious and could be dangerous in some cases, anyone who has it needs to isolate as do anyone they've been in contact with.

Can't be much clearer than that.

The protocol is to quarantine anyone who has been in contact with COVID19 for a 3 week period. This course of action is definitely warranted especially considering how contagious it would be within a club environment.

With such a long incubation period before symptoms show for some people simply quarantining one player in a club is a very dangerous action to take.

I believe you're wrong and don't understand the impact or repurcussions of this virus at all.

Worlds epidimiology experts have been on the money from the beginning. Italy is now in total lockdown. We've been flying in people from all over Italy and anywhere else for weeks . Mortality rates in Italy are staggering. 5 US congressmen now have it and it'll break out there sooner rather than later .

Anyone who doesn't think we'll have lockdowns and the AFL season is at risk has their head in the sand . This is not the flu,there is no vaccine ,it's highly contagious and could be dangerous in some cases, anyone who has it needs to isolate as do anyone they've been in contact with.

Can't be much clearer than that.
You may be right, but I'm not going full doomsday mode just yet, at the moment I'm more worried about my 81 year old mother being hit by a bus/car on her daily walk than catching Corona at the local supermarket.

One thing that concerns me is that there are a lot of reasons to doubt the numbers coming out of the us and China, though for different reasons - the US for profit health care system does not seem ready for for an epidemic and test kits are in short supply, while China has strong economic incentives to say everything is cool, we got this. Outbreaks could be far more severe in both countries than official statistics imply, and with our winter coming on that could increase the risk of a severe outbreak here through imported cases.

It's more than a little suss that cases basically cleared up in China after top communist officials said that heads would roll unless new cases stopped being found. The response of the Chinese citizens in wuhan does raise my suspicions around how successful containment has actually been there:

Sorry, when you said "the world has gone mad" I thought you meant the precautions actually being taken by the world - not the response of talkback radio commentators and the overreactions of the general public given you can guarantee those two will be going mad over anything, whether it's COVID-19, AFLW, AFLM, NRL, an ad campaign, or whatever else has caught their two second attention span.

There's a moderate chance the AFL season gets cancelled or held without spectators. However it's not going to happen without extensive reasoning as to why that's necessary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back