Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

To give an idea of volumes, our meat orders for my store are now higher than what is ordered over xmas. That last for maybe 2 or 3 days, and is a known increase in advanced. This volume of orders will go right through to next week, and every morning when we open this week, it will probably be picked clean by midday.

What we are seeing now isn't people that are hording lots of food. The damage was done by them 2 weeks ago. Now it is simply people trying to do their normal shopping, but there is no stock in stores, and as mentioned above, it will take time to get that back, it can't happen over a day or 2, but the restrictions on buying will help.

What a piece of work is man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god, the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals.

And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

WS - Hamlet

Last edited:

Was watching FC tonight and they were saying there is a genuine feeling that there are clubs that won't survive this.

Doing the math or looking at it logically, that would absolutley be the case in any normal business situation, however, we all assume the AFL will bail everyone out.

It's a dramatic notion, but has anyone stopped to consider how our club might absorb this hit (given our balance sheet is already cooked) and has anyone stopped to consider we might not have a team in 2021?

It's real, I could see on Eddie's face.

Was watching FC tonight and they were saying there is a genuine feeling that there are clubs that won't survive this.

Doing the math or looking at it logically, that would absolutley be the case in any normal business situation, however, we all assume the AFL will bail everyone out.

It's a dramatic notion, but has anyone stopped to consider how our club might absorb this hit (given our balance sheet is already cooked) and has anyone stopped to consider we might not have a team in 2021?

There was a chart somewhere that showed we have one if the lowest reliance/income from ticket sales so we’ll take less of a hit than the big clubs. Sure they have higher membership revenue, but they spend more so may end up in a tighter pinch than us.

Does make propping up suns and giants a conversation piece. Reckon we will outlast them.

There will also be a hit on sponsor revenue which will be reversed when we win everything this year. GO LIONS

To give an idea of volumes, our meat orders for my store are now higher than what is ordered over xmas. That last for maybe 2 or 3 days, and is a known increase in advanced. This volume of orders will go right through to next week, and every morning when we open this week, it will probably be picked clean by midday.

What we are seeing now isn't people that are hording lots of food. The damage was done by them 2 weeks ago. Now it is simply people trying to do their normal shopping, but there is no stock in stores, and as mentioned above, it will take time to get that back, it can't happen over a day or 2, but the restrictions on buying will help.

This is exactly my situation. All I've been trying to do is my normal shopping and because I haven't been able to get things I've had to resort to the pensioner run.

It wasn't pleasant..

edit: just finished the pensioner run, quite civilised and only about 100 people. Got some meat so I'm right for that now, there wasn't a lot but I got what I needed. Still a lot of empty shelves, no loo paper, tissues etc, truck didn't bring them apparently.

Have to say our small woolies handled the crowds really well, had a system of staff at the door checking seniors cards and stuff, also while in line had a staff member out there giving us the do's and don'ts, also telling us what wasn't available.

Last edited:

Can only hope one of us wins the 40mil tomorrow night....if its us we can bail out the club.

Seriously though, don't think I could go through losing my club again, but I really don't think the AFL would let us go a second time..

Last edited:
Asian greens, shallots, snow peas, lettuces, cherry tomatoes, coriander, zucchini and beans go all right atm.

And don’t waste your time on capsicums. I’ve spent a fortune trying to get a single intact fruit to grow. Either too much/not enough water and the fruit always gets stung. I’ve even covered each individual fruit and the insects can still sting them.
Thanks gadz, i'll drop into bunnings and grab a couple of packets of seeds , well that's if there is any.
I've also had no joy with capsicums or even chillies.
As a kid we used to keep the seeds from the capsicums from the shop and we used to grow them , easy as.
I've tried with chillies lately and had no success, they grew to a massive size but had none what so ever heat , I think they have been modified some what.
Cheers .

The clubs are effectively owned by the AFL these days so I think one only goes under if the AFL goes under. It's a different story with private ownership.

There was a chart somewhere that showed we have one if the lowest reliance/income from ticket sales so we’ll take less of a hit than the big clubs. Sure they have higher membership revenue, but they spend more so may end up in a tighter pinch than us.

Does make propping up suns and giants a conversation piece. Reckon we will outlast them.

There will also be a hit on sponsor revenue which will be reversed when we win everything this year. GO LIONS

GWS make most of their money off sponsorship already because they're in the Sydney market with low crowds. Not sure about GC.

Bugger, bloody hell, damn, s**t- I just got a text from the Yoga studio I go to and they have cancelled all classes for the foreseeable future.

Tasmania just “closed” their borders to mainland Australia, as of midnight Friday.

Anyone arriving in Tasmania from the mainland has to go in to 14 day isolation.

Only exemptions will be emergency or essential personal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's crazy. I honestly thought anything like that would violate our constitution.

Actually looks like it is, but they're gambling that no one will challenge (or it will take long enough for it to be overtaken):

"We have section 92 of the Australian constitution and it says trade, commerce and intercourse amongst the states shall be absolutely free," Professor Williams said.

(https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...nia-border-close-what-do-experts-say/12060600)

Thanks gadz, i'll drop into bunnings and grab a couple of packets of seeds , well that's if there is any.
I've also had no joy with capsicums or even chillies.
As a kid we used to keep the seeds from the capsicums from the shop and we used to grow them , easy as.
I've tried with chillies lately and had no success, they grew to a massive size but had none what so ever heat , I think they have been modified some what.
Cheers .

Yep I believe that's true and foods go through sanitising processes that can destroy the seeds as well. I have been able to grow snow peas and beans from store bought veges and I simply plant the roots of shallots and they grow really well.

I couldn't imagine the AFL letting the Lions fold, they would want a presence in Brisbane. It could be a good time to fold a few teams in Melbourne and divert any assistance to Brisvegas, bye bye North, Bulldogs, Saints.

The Queensland government will probably bail them out if it comes to it, after all the money they spent on Springfield I think it'd be poor press if the club folds just before the grounds open

Local IGA store has a policy one item only of anything in store. Selling toilet paper rolls individually for 60 cents. They will get my business for now - stuff Coles and Woolies. You come back the next day and get what else you need and shelves are not emptied in 5 mins.
Good policy to adopt.

I seldom wish ill will on others but I hope these selfish hoarding bastards get the kind of come-uppance they richly deserve.

Their giant chest freezers breaking down at 5.05pm on Easter Thursday would be a good start.
I did read last week that freezers and fridge sales have gone through the roof to the point that the likes of Harvey Norman and Good Guys etc. don't have stock and won't be getting a replenishment for months.

No doubt that those buying freezers are the hoarders that are continuously buying every day.

There's too many clubs in the league as it stands.

I wouldn't mind a Victorian club cleansing if it reduced the amount of teams in Victoria down to 4 and we'd go back to a 11 team comp.

I can’t understand why the government doesn’t increase super market trading to 24/7. Coles are hiring 5000 more staff so why not trade longer so the demand is spread over longer operating hours.

I can’t understand why the government doesn’t increase super market trading to 24/7. Coles are hiring 5000 more staff so why not trade longer so the demand is spread over longer operating hours.
The problem is getting the stock to the shelves (via the backrooms and the central warehouses), not spreading out the demand. The supermarkets have been opening less to facilitate that. Mandating 24/7 opening actually makes that worse by making it harder to get delivered stock on to the shelves.

This would not help. There are also restrictions on when some stores can even get deliveries because of the truck and load dock noises. Trading 24/7 would mean you need twice as many staff to simply keep the store open, so you are getting stretched even more thin. Also never closed means less time for effective cleaning.

Stocking shelves isnt easy and it is much easier to do with no public in the store. Many of those 5000 staff will be used to pick and pack stock from warehouses and the rest used in stores to fill stock.

If anything, if this doesnt stop you will see trading hours reduced further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back