Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

The message I really want to be broadcast is - our medical system runs at capacity. We overload it with this it will break and it wont be fixable for over a decade. Or longer.

That affects us all - younger people who want to have babies, IVF, who will have accidents, sports injuries, family members who have been treated or hospitalised for cancer, flu, asthma, chronic diseases and other serious problems. There won't be enough doctors and nurses left and our medical system will become more $ focused and go down the American pathway.

Just because covid may not be bad for you the secondary impact will be.

Break and enters and other robberies could be be a problem as this goes on.
secure your properties .
crime in general will rise .
no expert by the way.
Just very cautious.

I think that's probably pretty unlikely. I think stats still show that most burglaries happen during the day when people are at work, so with most of the country at home over the next period of time I think that's going to have a big impact. Especially when you consider how many neighbours will be home too and able to notice anything suspicious.

This is a bit old now, but suggests that the most common time for burglaries is 5pm, with 7am-7pm being the peak time and overnight being very quiet.

Reckon there's a much bigger chance of small businesses being burgled while they're closed sadly.

First the Ruby Princess now this. Seriously WTF NSW???

And it gets better

Another passenger, Zach Moore, was forced to come home just two weeks into a six-month backpacking trip in Chile and said the airport was chaotic.

"He said Australian Border Force (ABF) officers stopped him from filming, even checking his phone to make sure his files were deleted."

"Ms Prosser said the person who filmed the video asked ABF officers why people weren't being distanced.

She said they were told ''not our problem, that's Biosecurity".

Last edited:

I've been flat knacker since getting back from my holiday on the GC & haven't been following this stuff closely, but has there been any accountability for the person / department that let that cruise ship dock in Sydney? Put simply, that was a decision that will cost lives.

I've been flat knacker since getting back from my holiday on the GC & haven't been following this stuff closely, but has there been any accountability for the person / department that let that cruise ship dock in Sydney? Put simply, that was a decision that will cost lives.
A lot of finger pointing but no one has accepted any blame whatsoever.

They have blood on their hands, hence why no one is accepting responsibility.

So Indonesia, a country of 275 million have tested less than 3000 people to date. This isn't going to end well. Over the next fortnight will be interested to see how both they & the U.S. cope with the shitstorm that is approaching.

So Indonesia, a country of 275 million have tested less than 3000 people to date. This isn't going to end well. Over the next fortnight will be interested to see how both they & the U.S. cope with the shitstorm that is approaching.
I spoke to a friend who just left his home in Indo ,gathered his possessions wife and family and flown into Darwin. Permanently. Reckons there are huge clusters of Covid around Indo presently and he heard from the right sources that massive social unrest wouldn't be far behind.

The West is so focused on digging itself out of the whole that this will create , the normal aid and resources that would flow to the poorer countries just won't be there.

I've spent a lot of time trying to research countries, demographics, infection and mortality rates and a host of other stuff and found it a frustrating exercise in many ways.

This is an exception and as comprehensive as it gets

Kudos to the Norwegians

EDIT: Right click anywhere on the screen to get the English translation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spoke to a friend who just left his home in Indo ,gathered his possessions wife and family and flown into Darwin. Permanently. Reckons there are huge clusters of Covid around Indo presently and he heard from the right sources that massive social unrest wouldn't be far behind.

The West is so focused on digging itself out of the whole that this will create , the normal aid and resources that would flow to the poorer countries just won't be there.

I thought you were talking about Indooroopilly there and was very confused. But yes - and it isn't something the West can wash their hands of either. If this virus spreads rapidly in less developed countries without any prohibition, it could mutate into something worse that we won't be able to vaccinate against.

Hey Marto.

The West's obligations right now are to the West I would think.

I'm a humanitarian by nature too but in these desperate times, charity really begins at home.

I think there'll be a push once everyone's got their own house in order, but at the moment they are absolutely focused (and should be) on getting their own houses in order.

The reason I'll think there'll be a push is because it's in everyone's interests to bring it under control everywhere as best as possible, otherwise it will keep coming back. Some places are definitely going to struggle and it'll be a trigger for unrest in already upset areas.

Talking about this though - full credit to Jack Ma and some of the work he's doing to get PPE and test kits to countries who otherwise wouldn't have access to them.

Is it a possibility any AFL clubs could fold as a result of the current pandemic/ economic fallout?? Of course there is more important things in life, but I am a bit concerned, particularly for our club financial future.

Is it a possibility any AFL clubs could fold as a result of the current pandemic/ economic fallout?? Of course there is more important things in life, but I am a bit concerned, particularly for our club financial future.

It's possible but IMO it's unlikely - clubs are so tightly tied into the league as a whole, the AFL is going to prop up the clubs at least in part because the TV deal requires nine games a week. I'd be more worried about the whole league going under.

It's possible but IMO it's unlikely - clubs are so tightly tied into the league as a whole, the AFL is going to prop up the clubs at least in part because the TV deal requires nine games a week. I'd be more worried about the whole league going under.
Might need to big a big prop up?

Might need to big a big prop up?
I think it's naive to believe that every business involved in the AFL ecosystem right now wouldn't be trying to minimize costs given the absence of any income, and jobs are obviously (and unfortunately) a big part of that.

I think the league and the 18 clubs will be fine for this season. Plenty of staff will go and the AFL will need a considerable loan, but we could see no football this year and still have all 18 clubs ready to go for the start of season 2021.

If next year was still impacted by the virus or potentially by a second wave though, then we might see some more serious trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back