Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely kidding yourself. The bushfire and sports rorts situations won't even be remembered at the conclusion of this. That's not to discount any mismanagement, it's just the way it is. If the Australian economy somehow scrapes through without a wipeout in standard of living while the infection rate growth remains on track to be manageable and the death rate remains much lower than comparable countries then Morrison will emerge a hero. I've found the communication to be quite good. His messaging is clear and changes as the situation does (which is minute-by-minute). The media's handling of the information? Terrible to the point of negligence. People who jump on things like this in a crisis are just creating panic and nuisance noise. As for the school situation - I actually think it is the teachers and their unions who will come out of this situation with less respect from the general public. I haven't heard any suggestions coming from that camp, only to shut it all down. Perhaps teachers could take an early holiday and open the schools for the 6-8 week Christmas break instead? No way that sort of pragmatism will be discussed at union HQ, but it might give tech teams a fighting chance to implement some form of technology to handle millions of kids studying from home.
And just finally, As an Australian I hope Morrison does emerge a hero because that would be good news for everyone.
You can’t teach if you don’t have students. I don’t think you could convince parents that they should send their kids to school over summer or students that they should give up Christmas Holidays. Nothing to do with the AEU. That said, if you want to devote time and energy to arguing that cause, go for it.

Absolutely kidding yourself. The bushfire and sports rorts situations won't even be remembered at the conclusion of this. That's not to discount any mismanagement, it's just the way it is. If the Australian economy somehow scrapes through without a wipeout in standard of living while the infection rate growth remains on track to be manageable and the death rate remains much lower than comparable countries then Morrison will emerge a hero. I've found the communication to be quite good. His messaging is clear and changes as the situation does (which is minute-by-minute). The media's handling of the information? Terrible to the point of negligence. People who jump on things like this in a crisis are just creating panic and nuisance noise. As for the school situation - I actually think it is the teachers and their unions who will come out of this situation with less respect from the general public. I haven't heard any suggestions coming from that camp, only to shut it all down. Perhaps teachers could take an early holiday and open the schools for the 6-8 week Christmas break instead? No way that sort of pragmatism will be discussed at union HQ, but it might give tech teams a fighting chance to implement some form of technology to handle millions of kids studying from home.
And just finally, As an Australian I hope Morrison does emerge a hero because that would be good news for everyone.
Are you absolutely kidding yourself?

SloMo are a hero; you're absolutely having a lend. He has blood on his hands for his glacial response to it all. He had the power to shut it down well over 6 weeks before he did, but no, he kept borders open and allowed everyone to go as if nothing was going.

Try telling a huge portion of the population effected by the bushfires that it'll be forgotten.:rolleyes:

Things are going very well in Aus. We can't be complacent, but very positive few days. One expert just said on 774 - "we have delivered COVID-19 a few early blows and have the chance to put it on the canvas"... he also said he could see social distancing being needed for 12 months lol.

Anyway, plenty to be worried about but some good news the last few days. We are flattening the curve.

SloMo are a hero; you're absolutely having a lend. He has blood on his hands for his glacial response to it all. He had the power to shut it down well over 6 weeks before he did, but no, he kept borders open and allowed everyone to go as if nothing was going.

Try telling a huge portion of the population effected by the bushfires that it'll be forgotten.:rolleyes:
I’m tipping the ‘Scummo’, ‘Slomo’, ‘Scotty from marketing’ brigade will be in for a bit of a surprise. He’s done well

He is GONE. There are victims of the bushfires still waiting for promised assistance from the Federal Government.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

please don't insult Dan like that

I think you mean Dan "hasn't missed a shot on goal, took one of the three best marks of the year, and is 19th in the Coleman (only two goals behind the leader)" McStay.

Well said. A crisis such as this and the efficiency of response far outweighs any partisan political debate. It can't just be about mad irrational hatred for Scomo due to a lost election anymore. No matter what he did in the Bushfires he was on a hiding to nothing after the bad timing of his holiday. Most saw through that ridiculous partisan ranting and outside the Cocoon of Twitterworld he emerged bruised but hardened.
This response has been first class. He has relied on the best economic and medical advice to formulate our response. This has left the critics with no where to go but to criticise that advice by dragging up all manner of reserve graders such as the ABC's partially qualified Pediatriacian Norman Swan to fire pot shots from the sideline.
Just like a football team you want to know who you can rely on in tough times. This has been described as a Team Australia moment and Australians are quickly learning who is part of the solution and who is part of the problem.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm essentially apolitical but I'll say this much..

s**t-canning the PM with pejorative terms like "Slo-Mo" and taking pot shots from the side lines adds nothing to the debate on the subject.

In my voting life I've cast votes for Liberal, Labor and Independents and various others, depending on which I believe would be the best for the nation .The only mobs I haven't been able to bring myself to give my vote to are the Greens or anything to do with Ms Pauline Hanson but I have my reasons for that. I'm not even going to attempt to justify those reasons.

FWIW, I firmly believe our political leaders in times of extreme and dire need, do their best to steer the country as best as they can.

I didn't vote ALP when Rudd got elected but I supported his and his Government's handling of the GFC.

Mistakes were made then.

Mistakes are being made now.

Human beings make mistakes....that's what makes us human.

For Chrissakes though , can we just do what our Government is imploring us to do now without revisionist criticism as to what they SHOULD have done 1, week, 2 weeks or 2 months ago?

Finally, do all the strident critics of Morrison realise that we are living in a Westminster style democracy?

Do you realise that the Prime Minister is not a dictator? Benevolent or otherwise?

Every decision made and announced by the PM is decided on by a thing called "Cabinet"

He or she has no executive powers.

Read about it here

What Morrisson did a few weeks ago was convene a National Cabinet made up of himself and the Premiers of the States in an effort to make decisions about Covid-19 as bipartisan as possible. For this I believe he and the Fed Government deserve credit.

"Slo-Mo" has consistently and persistently praised the collaborative and co-operative approach of this makeshift Cabinet.

If you want to vent, then go ahead, but whatever criticisms there are of the National response to the curse of Coronavirus, let's not lay them all at the feet of one man.

Last edited:
A lot happens in 90 hours these days.
A lot of people knew a fortnight before the start of the season that it would be foolish to start the season because of the inevitable, so I don’t buy your comment necessarily given many were screaming for us to shut our borders six weeks before and lockdown a good month before.

Well said. A crisis such as this and the efficiency of response far outweighs any partisan political debate. It can't just be about mad irrational hatred for Scomo due to a lost election anymore. No matter what he did in the Bushfires he was on a hiding to nothing after the bad timing of his holiday. Most saw through that ridiculous partisan ranting and outside the Cocoon of Twitterworld he emerged bruised but hardened.
This response has been first class. He has relied on the best economic and medical advice to formulate our response. This has left the critics with no where to go but to criticise that advice by dragging up all manner of reserve graders such as the ABC's partially qualified Pediatriacian Norman Swan to fire pot shots from the sideline.
Just like a football team you want to know who you can rely on in tough times. This has been described as a Team Australia moment and Australians are quickly learning who is part of the solution and who is part of the problem.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The majority of people will follow party lines they always have regardless of what happens, or who does what.

Liberal supporters will post garbage like you and kenburger posted.

And Labor supporters will post crap like what 3KZ is Football and Dylan12 posted.

The only people who are likely to change their voting will be those who are directly affected, or are relatives of directly affected people, and feel they’ve been left behind by the government.

I’m a swing voter from a hardcore union and labor family. I voted for Howard and Turnbull. Usually vote Greens these days.

So far I believe Morrison has acted to slowly in closing the borders, and allowing people to quarantine at home.

I think his stimulus packages have been good.

I’ll wait until we’re on the other side before I make up my mind on ScoMo.

What, the same medical advice that said the AFL season should proceed, yet less than 90 hours was canned?:rolleyes:

Yet that was the advice that WAS conveyed to the AFL at the time.

A week later, that advice got superseded by the actions of the States in closing their borders.

Did you see that coming?

Are you suggesting we should all ignore medical advice from now on because of what transpired back then?

The majority of people will follow party lines they always have regardless of what happens, or who does what.

And Labor supporters will post crap like what 3KZ is Football and Dylan12 posted.

The only people who are likely to change their voting will be those who are directly affected, or are relatives of directly affected people, and feel they’ve been left behind by the government.

I’m a swing voter from a hardcore union and labor family. I voted for Howard and Turnbull. Usually vote Greens these days.

So far I believe Morrison has acted to slowly in closing the borders, and allowing people to quarantine at home.

Massive assumption there. I am not a Labor supporter. I vote informal in the Reps and below the line in the Senate.

I’m not a Labour voter though; never have been. I just call bullshit out when it’s plain as day that the Federal Government are regurgitating utter bullshit and ignoring error after error and minions in the burbs just lap it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back