Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

As for the school situation - I actually think it is the teachers and their unions who will come out of this situation with less respect from the general public. I haven't heard any suggestions coming from that camp, only to shut it all down.

Why wouldn't the teachers' union argue for a complete shut down of schools, given that many states have closed borders, implemented Stage 3 restrictions including the banning of gatherings more than two, coupled with the revelation that children can catch and transmit coronavirus? Many teaching staff are above 50 and some teachers (I know three personally) are battling life-threatening diseases such as cancer for which they are receiving treatment.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the teachers' union argue for a complete shut down of schools, given that many states have closed borders, implemented Stage 3 restrictions inclduign the banning of gatherings more than two coupled with the revelation that children can catch and transmit coronavirus? Many teaching staff are above 50 and some teachers (I know three personally) are battling life-threatening diseases such as cancer for which they are receiving treatment.

Teacher bashing knows no limits for some.

In more community transmission testing news.

'Random' coronavirus testing to begin in Canberra next week at drive-through centre and clinic

The ACT will begin "actively looking" for community transmission of coronavirus in Canberra, allowing a random sample of ineligible people to be tested for COVID-19 each day.

Announcing four more cases of COVID-19 in the ACT, chief health officer Kerryn Coleman said testing would be expanded, as fewer returning overseas travellers and close contacts were being tested each day.

From Monday, a random selection of people who present at Weston Creek Walk-In Centre and the drive-through facility set up at EPIC, but do not meet the testing criteria, will be tested anyway.

"We are able to do this because there is a decrease in demand for testing from returning travellers and known contacts of confirmed cases," Dr Coleman said.

Apparently. If you're going to implement 'social distancing' rules/laws then do it properly. 'Social distancing' is almost impossible in a classroom.

From what I've heard, this week saw very little students actually at school. The amount of essential workers that cannot care for their children may have been overstated by some in the media. Obviously makes social distancing easier.

Everyone is working together on this. I actually think Scott Morrison/ the state premiers did a good job in "soft closing" schools without having to create the headline and subsequent panic that a full school closure would cause.

Morrison has an impossible job right now, but it's a shame to see some have turned to bashing teachers in the middle of a pandemic. Good to see you calling that out as I would have if I saw it.

From what I've heard, this week saw very little students actually at school. The amount of essential workers that cannot care for their children may have been overstated by some in the media. Obviously makes social distancing easier.

Everyone is working together on this. I actually think Scott Morrison/ the state premiers did a good job in "soft closing" schools without having to create the headline and subsequent panic that a full school closure would cause.

Morrison has an impossible job right now, but it's a shame to see some have turned to bashing teachers in the middle of a pandemic. Good to see you calling that out as I would have if I saw it.

I’m not a Scott Morrison fan but hats off to him and everyone else at the top of the decision making pile. They’ll all be well burnt out by the end of this and cop criticism for years on the decisions they did or didn’t make.

No way in he’ll do I want any of those jobs.

I’m not a Scott Morrison fan but hats off to him and everyone else at the top of the decision making pile. They’ll all be well burnt out by the end of this and cop criticism for years on the decisions they did or didn’t make.

Yeah the only thing I think they'll rightly cop criticism for is being slow off the mark at the start as that's plagued them throughout. If we had more masks and tests we'd be able to respond differently.

With the situation we're in they've managed it fairly well. Especially given how harsh and fast the criticism is coming in (the furore over the puzzle comment last week was embarassing)

Sco-Mo is the ultimate pragmatist and not afraid to cross party lines, just what we need right now. It's been great to see the bipartisan response from both side of politics.

It is my understanding that schools are remaining open primarily so healthcare workers can still send their kids to school and they can continue to work. I was talking to a nurse the other day and they said they fully expect to get Coronavirus when doing their job on the frontline at hospital. If this is the case wouldn’t schools become a hotbed for the virus to spread as kids of healthcare workers pick it up from their parents and take it to school. Other kids at school will then catch it from these kids as we know social distancing doesn’t work in schools and then they take it home and give it to their healthcare working parents (see the cycle).
Scott Morrison probably doesn’t want to hear this but schools have been the cause of Coronavirus clusters. Marist school in nz is a cluster with 58 cases (kids, teachers, parents) and case numbers are still rising.

It is my understanding that schools are remaining open primarily so healthcare workers can still send their kids to school and they can continue to work. I was talking to a nurse the other day and they said they fully expect to get Coronavirus when doing their job on the frontline at hospital. If this is the case wouldn’t schools become a hotbed for the virus to spread as kids of healthcare workers pick it up from their parents and take it to school. Other kids at school will then catch it from these kids as we know social distancing doesn’t work in schools and then they take it home and give it to their healthcare working parents (see the cycle).
Scott Morrison probably doesn’t want to hear this but schools have been the cause of Coronavirus clusters. Marist school in nz is a cluster with 58 cases (kids, teachers, parents) and case numbers are still rising.

Having taught prep classes I can assure you the concept of them social distancing is just absurd. When the numbers are tallied in times to come some industries will show far greater attrition rates than others.

What concerns me the most is the lack of basic hygiene products many teachers are reporting (against their non disclosure rules) and even worse no PPE equipment available to them.

Children can be asymptomatic whist still infectious, delivering this very virus into the homes of the very essential services workers (where they don't wear PPE) who are supposed to be freed up from childcare duties by keeping schools open.

It is certainly one area which I think has been poorly considered, like letting infected cruise passengers off ships.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sco-Mo is the ultimate pragmatist and not afraid to cross party lines, just what we need right now. It's been great to see the bipartisan response from both side of politics.

Agree with this...I've been very impressed with Daniel Andrews as well as Sco-Mo, something I NEVER thought I would say. I am not an Andrews fan at all but I feel all the party leaders have handled this so well and worked together with a common goal (except NSW, eg boats, beaches, and just plain arrogance in the face of it all)

....it's a strange world right now, but we'll get there. The sooner people accept the changes and restrictions, the sooner we are over it.

Yeah the only thing I think they'll rightly cop criticism for is being slow off the mark at the start as that's plagued them throughout. If we had more masks and tests we'd be able to respond differently.

With the situation we're in they've managed it fairly well. Especially given how harsh and fast the criticism is coming in (the furore over the puzzle comment last week was embarassing)

By the time he said that I’d already bought three puzzles - embarrassing admission.

Agree with this...I've been very impressed with Daniel Andrews as well as Sco-Mo, something I NEVER thought I would say. I am not an Andrews fan at all but I feel all the party leaders have handled this so well and worked together with a common goal (except NSW, eg boats, beaches, and just plain arrogance in the face of it all)

....it's a strange world right now, but we'll get there. The sooner people accept the changes and restrictions, the sooner we are over it.

Yeah Gutwein here in Tasmania has been a rock, no apologies for the hard choices. Still should close the schools.

And yet I’ve heard him repeat it many times during press conferences.

It's not like he's googling corona virus & spending his days on wikipedia researching this himself. He is taking advice from advisors. Pretty sure I recall the chief medical officer (a week or two ago) stating that they're not sure whether it's better for kids to be at school or kept at home based on the data they had at the time. Probably a reference to kids being home in the weeks past that were looked after by grandparents.

It's not like he's googling corona virus & spending his days on wikipedia researching this himself. He is taking advice from advisors. Pretty sure I recall the chief medical officer (a week or two ago) stating that they're not sure whether it's better for kids to be at school or kept at home based on the data they had at the time. Probably a reference to kids being home in the weeks past that were looked after by grandparents.

The reality is the countries who are are most effective in stopping the spread have shut schools early, if in doubt go the hard option now; don't wait till it's too late.

The reality is the countries who are are most effective in stopping the spread have shut schools early, if in doubt go the hard option now; don't wait till it's too late.
Italy shut their Schools pretty quick and that may have accounted for most of their problems too.

Italy shut their Schools pretty quick and that may have accounted for most of their problems too.
It was to late already when Italy shut their schools.

And it wouldn’t have mattered either way, as the problem was the same if they shut their schools or not.

Extended families and Grandparents all living together.

Same result either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back