Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Over COVID. Admittedly the ACT has been blessed in comparison to other jurisidictions but it's starting to wear thin. Can't imagine what folks in NSW and VIC are going through. Had a colleague who work sin the Melbourne office and he had not left his apartment (outside of needs) for over 6 months. Crazy.

The mental impacts I don't think are catered for that well...

The other matter is the cost to the economy. Generational debt upon generation debt. Supply chains are in tatters due to lockdowns and forced isolations.

Really starting to effect the staffing numbers at my work.
so many places the same, I never thought in my life time living in Australia we would EVER have issues with buying anything we wanted, but now on to our third year and it's now getting worse. Crazy times

I would like to preface this little rant with - Apart from a battle with cancer in late 2019 I have been in excellent health over the last decade or so with not so much as a sniffle over the Covid period, I am in a healthy weight range, eat a healthy diet, exercise/yoga/pilates regularly + I am fully vaccinated.

I woke up with quite a severe sore throat on Tuesday morning just gone and over the day started feeling worse ie. lethargy, muscle soreness. I isolated and tried to get hold of a RAT through friends/family. Couldn't really sleep at all Tuesday/Wednesday nights, mainly because of bad muscle pain in my back. Last night I slept well but woke up during the night and this morning in a sweaty bed but feeling a bit better. My son managed to acquire a RAT this morning.

Anyway turns out I have Covid and now have to isolate for 7 days, I reported the positive result to the appropriate government website and received a standard pre formatted reply in seconds. What I find bewildering is QLD Health offered nothing other than rest and drink lots of fluid as treatment options once you have a positive test result.... and if you have > Severe difficulty breathing - Are coughing up blood - Significant chest pain - Collapsing or fainting then you should dial 000/get to a hospital ASAP. It astounds me that over 2 years into this Covid shitstorm unless you are on deaths door the authorities offer nothing in regards to treatment.

I routinely take vitamin/mineral supplements anyway but decided to up my dose of vitamin D, C and Zinc off my own bat as well as drinking copious amounts of warm lemon and honey + gargling salty water many times a day.

......... Luckily no one I was in contact with in the 3-4 days before my first symptoms on Tuesday morning is showing any signs of Covid.

I would like to preface this little rant with - Apart from a battle with cancer in late 2019 I have been in excellent health over the last decade or so with not so much as a sniffle over the Covid period, I am in a healthy weight range, eat a healthy diet, exercise/yoga/pilates regularly + I am fully vaccinated.

I woke up with quite a severe sore throat on Tuesday morning just gone and over the day started feeling worse ie. lethargy, muscle soreness. I isolated and tried to get hold of a RAT through friends/family. Couldn't really sleep at all Tuesday/Wednesday nights, mainly because of bad muscle pain in my back. Last night I slept well but woke up during the night and this morning in a sweaty bed but feeling a bit better. My son managed to acquire a RAT this morning.

Anyway turns out I have Covid and now have to isolate for 7 days, I reported the positive result to the appropriate government website and received a standard pre formatted reply in seconds. What I find bewildering is QLD Health offered nothing other than rest and drink lots of fluid as treatment options once you have a positive test result.... and if you have > Severe difficulty breathing - Are coughing up blood - Significant chest pain - Collapsing or fainting then you should dial 000/get to a hospital ASAP. It astounds me that over 2 years into this Covid shitstorm unless you are on deaths door the authorities offer nothing in regards to treatment.

I routinely take vitamin/mineral supplements anyway but decided to up my dose of vitamin D, C and Zinc off my own bat as well as drinking copious amounts of warm lemon and honey + gargling salty water many times a day.

......... Luckily no one I was in contact with in the 3-4 days before my first symptoms on Tuesday morning is showing any signs of Covid.

*treating* covid has never been one of the focuses ... in fact Homepaths in Qld are forbidden to treat Covid and GPs have been banned from prescribing medications such as H and I (both with long histories and used well by other countries) to treat it by both the Royal College of Physicians and Qld Health.

*treating* covid has never been one of the focuses ... in fact Homepaths in Qld are forbidden to treat Covid and GPs have been banned from prescribing medications such as H and I (both with long histories and used well by other countries) to treat it by both the Royal College of Physicians and Qld Health.
Yes, the vaccination path to the exclusion to any form of treatment, whether experimental or not has been a mystery to me the whole time, it's like we are waiting for Pharma to come up with their own approved version of Ivermectin or alike. I would have happily taken part in a trial of Ivermectin/monoclonal antibodies or anything else on the onset of symptoms. The fact that if my 82 year old mum got it their advice would be to stay at home and wait till you're in a critical state and then come to hospital and we will see what we can do then is ... abhorrent.

On another note taking the vaccine didn't stop me getting it, many others are experiencing the same thing, there is no doubt this vaccine is not working as first promoted.

Yes, the vaccination path to the exclusion to any form of treatment, whether experimental or not has been a mystery to me the whole time, it's like we are waiting for Pharma to come up with their own approved version of Ivermectin or alike. I would have happily taken part in a trial of Ivermectin/monoclonal antibodies or anything else on the onset of symptoms. The fact that if my 82 year old mum got it their advice would be to stay at home and wait till you're in a critical state and then come to hospital and we will see what we can do then is ... abhorrent.

On another note taking the vaccine didn't stop me getting it, many others are experiencing the same thing, there is no doubt this vaccine is not working as first promoted.
When is a vaccine not a vaccine?

Get well Jason.

All I can say is our public health system is grossly underfunded to offer anything more than what is currently being done.

And our governments won’t put a dollar more than they have to, to help our population.

When is a vaccine not a vaccine?
The Covid vaccine seems more like a mitigation regime than a traditional eradication vaccine.
Get well Jason.

All I can say is our public health system is grossly underfunded to offer anything more than what is currently being done.

And our governments won’t put a dollar more than they have to, to help our population.
Thanks briz, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Governments will be governments, they are all pretty similar no matter what side of politics they are on, their prime directive is to achieve and maintain power IMO, every single decision is seen through that lens.

I've never understood this thinking. I'm not a doctor or anywhere close to a doctor other than having a Science degree, but I've always been under the impression that most vaccines aren't a bulletproof way to stop getting sick with the thing you are being vaccinations. For the flu vaccine, which I've been getting for about 20 years, I've always regarded it as something that helps your body fight off infection once exposed to influenza. You may feel off for a day or so, or even get cold-like symptoms, but less likely to get full-blown fevers.

The whole point of strategies put in place like lockdowns, isolations, quarantine are to take the strain off hospitals and the health system as a whole. Sure, some decisions have been political in places, but as a whole they've proved effective. I haven't really heard stories in the media of people with other illness dying because they couldn't access Emergency care at a hospital.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never understood this thinking. I'm not a doctor or anywhere close to a doctor other than having a Science degree, but I've always been under the impression that most vaccines aren't a bulletproof way to stop getting sick with the thing you are being vaccinations. For the flu vaccine, which I've been getting for about 20 years, I've always regarded it as something that helps your body fight off infection once exposed to influenza. You may feel off for a day or so, or even get cold-like symptoms, but less likely to get full-blown fevers.

The whole point of strategies put in place like lockdowns, isolations, quarantine are to take the strain off hospitals and the health system as a whole. Sure, some decisions have been political in places, but as a whole they've proved effective. I haven't really heard stories in the media of people with other illness dying because they couldn't access Emergency care at a hospital.
IIRC the rhetoric coming out of the vaccine industry re the ability of the coming Covid vaccines to stop transmission and infection was very bullish, I'm not saying they are not working but I am saying it was overstated how effective they would be.

Vaccines were certainly an eradication solution when it came to Polio, Smallpox etc.

When I got my vaccination papers printed out I noted that I have only had the flu vaccine twice in the last 15 years, once recently but only because it was compulsory to have it to visit an aged care facility... never had the flu.

Really starting to effect the staffing numbers at my work.
A massive issue and something we are trying to get an understanding of at my work place particularly the impacts it has on essential services. I'm privileged enough to see a lot more than the average punter on the street... and I'm telling you it is best to isolate and lay low for the foreseeble future. Also get vaccinated and boosters.

People rubbish Government but I can assure you we are doing everything that is reasonably possible to get through this. It's rather disheartening to see those pop up Facebook groups spewing trash about vaccines or promoting alternative remedies. TBH it's pathetic and unfortunately the older generations (AKA the at risk) are lapping it up.

They are. You don’t hear a lot about it because hospitals and staff aren’t allowed to talk about it.

Heck there’s things I’d like to post, but can’t, because I could lose my job and face lawsuits.

A massive issue and something we are trying to get an understanding of at my work place particularly the impacts it has on essential services. I'm privileged enough to see a lot more than the average punter on the street... and I'm telling you it is best to isolate and lay low for the foreseeble future. Also get vaccinated and boosters.

People rubbish Government but I can assure you we are doing everything that is reasonably possible to get through this. It's rather disheartening to see those pop up Facebook groups spewing trash about vaccines or promoting alternative remedies. TBH it's pathetic and unfortunately the older generations (AKA the at risk) are lapping it up.
Apart from our daughter going to daycare, we only go out to do the shopping, and go to the doctor.

I’ve just torn the meniscus in my left knee, so won’t even be cycling with my group for a while.

I have colleagues who have pulled their kids out of daycare, and doing everything possible to minimise contact with others.

We understand the most likely places where we will be exposed are, me at work or our daughter at daycare.

My little sister had a relapse of her chronic disease. She was taken to the ED for immediate treatment with a referral from the doctor. On arrival we found the ED filled with covid patients mixed in with immunocompromised, (cancer patients, transplant patients, also pregnant women...) . We were told because she had no respiratory issues she was not priority and to wait in line. Because the line was so big we had to sit outside on a garden bed with limited shelter form wind and rain. 5 hours later and many covid patients treated before us, she was seen and has not left her hospital bed since last Thursday with a discharge day not likely in the coming weeks.

Nurses come in and say they are either being dragged into the covid ward because of constant infections within the hospital staff and others quitting because they refuse to work in the covid wards... on top of the lot banned from working for being unvaxxed. Severe shortages in Health at the moment cause this s**t show.

Also * the campaigner who ever thought of charging for hospital parking. Thieving, greedy ******* campaigners

They are. You don’t hear a lot about it because hospitals and staff aren’t allowed to talk about it.

Heck there’s things I’d like to post, but can’t, because I could lose my job and face lawsuits.
Imagine what it would be like without the measures taken. But, y'know, people's BBQ's and drinking sessions are more important if you ask the average Australian...

I tell you what, it is as boring as batshit being cooped up in a small apartment, I'm in the 5th day of self imposed isolation and only the 2nd day of a government mandated 7 day home detention stretch. Not even being allowed to go outside and go for a walk is disturbing, let alone missing my usual Yoga, Pilates and cycling... on line Yoga is not the same. I'll have to do my first online/home delivery grocery shop in a couple of days.

I can thoroughly understand how people can go stir crazy and how solitary confinement would f... with your sanity and I am someone who would be more on the loner side of the spectrum than an outgoing socializer.

I tell you what, it is as boring as batshit being cooped up in a small apartment, I'm in the 5th day of self imposed isolation and only the 2nd day of a government mandated 7 day home detention stretch. Not even being allowed to go outside and go for a walk is disturbing, let alone missing my usual Yoga, Pilates and cycling... on line Yoga is not the same. I'll have to do my first online/home delivery grocery shop in a couple of days.

I can thoroughly understand how people can go stir crazy and how solitary confinement would f... with your sanity and I am someone who would be more on the loner side of the spectrum than an outgoing socializer.
Imagine the asylum seekers in detention hotels for 5 years, not allowed out of their apartment.

I'm fully over Covid now, 10 days after the first symptoms, 2-3 days were pretty rough with a very sore throat and fatigued muscles, besides that I would describe it as mild, the severity of the throat soreness could have also had a bit to do with the long term throat damage I suffered from Radiation treatment in that area a couple of years ago.

Everyone keeps telling me I am so lucky that I was vaccinated or it would have been a lot more severe... thinking about it a lot over the last few days has me wondering.. is the reason for the low death rate to do with a highly vaccinated population or is it just because Omicron is a lot less virulent than previous variants? Probably a mixture of both? You would have to extrapolate out and expect that the death rate among vaccinated and non vaccinated would have been a lot higher with a more virulent strain, to what varying degrees is probably unanswerable.

IMO it's time to go back to normal, get rid of mask mandates(wear them if you want), get rid of checking in, get rid of home quarantine if you're asymptomatic but use common sense and take precautions if you have symptoms as most did pre Covid if they were sneezing/coughing everywhere. Have vaccine compliance for highly vulnerable populations eg. aged care facilities. The Dementia ward my Aunt is in has not allowed visitors vaccinated or not for over 2 weeks.

I'm fully over Covid now, 10 days after the first symptoms, 2-3 days were pretty rough with a very sore throat and fatigued muscles, besides that I would describe it as mild, the severity of the throat soreness could have also had a bit to do with the long term throat damage I suffered from Radiation treatment in that area a couple of years ago.

Everyone keeps telling me I am so lucky that I was vaccinated or it would have been a lot more severe... thinking about it a lot over the last few days has me wondering.. is the reason for the low death rate to do with a highly vaccinated population or is it just because Omicron is a lot less virulent than previous variants? Probably a mixture of both? You would have to extrapolate out and expect that the death rate among vaccinated and non vaccinated would have been a lot higher with a more virulent strain, to what varying degrees is probably unanswerable.

IMO it's time to go back to normal, get rid of mask mandates(wear them if you want), get rid of checking in, get rid of home quarantine if you're asymptomatic but use common sense and take precautions if you have symptoms as most did pre Covid if they were sneezing/coughing everywhere. Have vaccine compliance for highly vulnerable populations eg. aged care facilities. The Dementia ward my Aunt is in has not allowed visitors vaccinated or not for over 2 weeks.
Glad you are feeling better.
It’s amazing how in such a short time we have gone from knowing no one with the virus, to knowing so so many who either have or have had the virus.
No one that I know has had it too bad. All only reasonably minor symptoms and for fairly short periods.

I do know one Family who are all not vaccinated (was waiting for the Nova Vax apparently). The two children (teenagers) come down with the virus, both just flew type symptoms, nothing too extreme and the parents didn’t get it at all. Living in the same household.
So God only knows whether the vaccinations do anything anyway.
I am due for the booster now and really not sure if I want to get it as I think we are at the point where I would just prefer to get it and build a natural immunity anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back