Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
The nightmare that is becoming the AFL season and draw will not only affect the AFL but what impact will it have on we DT coaches?
It's inevitable that a player or staffer at an AFL club will contract the virus in the foreseeable future, causing that club to go into a 14 day lockdown. Will all matches in that time be cancelled/postponed or will there simply be no matches played? If it is determined that all other matches go ahead, too bad if you have a heap of players in the cancelled games.
We may end up playing only 17 or so rounds rather than 23. This will obviously have an impact on trading more aggressively early in the year as you won't need trades for so long. BUT, when will we know?
One silver lining out of the the mess is that it is most likely that we will not have to endure the horrible 3 weeks of bye rounds. With postponements etc the AFL will no doubt do away with the byes.

On second thoughts after watching tonight's news, I feel there is no hope of the AFL season being completed. There will probably be more games cancelled than those played.
Two months of DT planning all for nothing.

Last edited:
On second thoughts after watching tonight's news, I feel there is no hope of the AFL season being completed. There will probably be more games cancelled than those played.

100%...AFL are selfish and greedy starting the season this week...what’s the point of playing a few rounds than cancelling.

Yeah it's an interesting time across the board. With a sense of perspective, yes it's frustrating having spent all this time planning for something which is now largely an unknown. In the end, I'll be happy to roll with whatever. At the end of the day it will bring some fun back to into our lives whilst ignoring the demise of human decency which is on show at any local supermarket.

Yeah it's an interesting time across the board. With a sense of perspective, yes it's frustrating having spent all this time planning for something which is now largely an unknown. In the end, I'll be happy to roll with whatever. At the end of the day it will bring some fun back to into our lives whilst ignoring the demise of human decency which is on show at any local supermarket.
So, so true Dugong.
Why do these idiots feel that they need to stockpile 3-4 months worth of toilet paper because they may have to stay home for a 2 weeks period?
We haven't bought any for 3 weeks and are probably unlikely to get any for the foreseeable future.
Oh well, I'll have to go back to using my fingers. :p ;)

So, so true Dugong.
Why do these idiots feel that they need to stockpile 3-4 months worth of toilet paper because they may have to stay home for a 2 weeks period?
We haven't bought any for 3 weeks and are probably unlikely to get any for the foreseeable future.
Oh well, I'll have to go back to using my fingers. :p ;)

Well either that or time to get out in the yard again with the hose! :D

That's the question on the whiteboard at DT HQ right now! Everyones scrambling.
I suppose it's possible that they could use the actual finals as our finals as well. Once the top 8 have been determined, everyone can then totally redo their squad using only players playing in the 4 finals. It may be that you can only use a percentage of your final team's value which will reduce as we go from an 8 team week to a 4 team week and then 2 teams.

completely changing my strategy now. Will try to minimise on-field rookies and start more midpricers. Hopefully my team goes ham and gives me a good start and I can hold position with trades. Dunks out for me, going for underpriced premos like Cripps. Will still keep Crae, Grundy and Whit though because I still want some 150+ calibre players. Also have to take a punt on someone like Viney and hope he can be a value 100+ premo

completely changing my strategy now. Will try to minimise on-field rookies and start more midpricers. Hopefully my team goes ham and gives me a good start and I can hold position with trades. Dunks out for me, going for underpriced premos like Cripps. Will still keep Crae, Grundy and Whit though because I still want some 150+ calibre players. Also have to take a punt on someone like Viney and hope he can be a value 100+ premo

Same as me...footy will start tomorrow night. Looks like 16 minute quarters as afl want to try get 5-6 rounds in over the next 4 weeks. This entire season is going to be a joke. Especially when the season stops in a couple months time. Can’t see RDT and other fantasy comp numbers being big this season. Will be worst season ever numbers wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as me...footy will start tomorrow night. Looks like 16 minute quarters as afl want to try get 5-6 rounds in over the next 4 weeks. This entire season is going to be a joke. Especially when the season stops in a couple months time. Can’t see RDT and other fantasy comp numbers being big this season. Will be worst season ever numbers wise.
Burst players with high PPM like Zerrett will be gold. Danger can also go ham and not have to rest forward for long. No point playing this season like you'd normally do, just might as well take some risks. Will level the playing field for coaches like me

With most people expecting quarters to be reduced by 20% is there any word if player pricing will be adjusted accordingly?

If not you'd expect every premo to lose money.

Will be interesting to see if the lack of crowds/atmosphere has an adverse effect on the players/teams performances. You think, the adrenaline players have from running out in front of their own crowd, big crowds etc - for the time being none of that will be there. The celebration of a critical goal will feel different for the players - there’s no roar, they might hear a few claps. Psychologically, this is a massive challenge for the players.
So from a fantasy perspective, it will be fascinating to see the impact of all this on a players score (disregarding the obvious shorter quarters).

Will be interesting to see if the lack of crowds/atmosphere has an adverse effect on the players/teams performances. You think, the adrenaline players have from running out in front of their own crowd, big crowds etc - for the time being none of that will be there. The celebration of a critical goal will feel different for the players - there’s no roar, they might hear a few claps. Psychologically, this is a massive challenge for the players.
So from a fantasy perspective, it will be fascinating to see the impact of all this on a players score (disregarding the obvious shorter quarters).

It’s going to feel like watching a pre-season comp...
Shorter quarters
2-3 games in 10 days which will dilute the quality in standard as teams will be forced to rest players...
And worst of all, the season being postponed when a player tests positive which is inevitable and will happen within the next 3-4 weeks
Only positive for us is there will be a heap of cheap playing rookies soon once the VFL players get picked up

With most people expecting quarters to be reduced by 20% is there any word if player pricing will be adjusted accordingly?

Good point

80s and 90s are probably gunna be decent scores now (like 100s)

Will mean everyone will be cheaper in a few weeks

On the flipside, perhaps 20% up scaling could be intoduced so it won't affect player prices for this year AND next year

With only 24 hours before we start, there will be no changing of prices.

Is anyone changing their team much based on shorter quarters being played? I don't know whether to bother.
I am. The uber elite players will drop in value and they don't represent the value in which they are costing us.
In saying all this, we don't know at this stage as to how clubs will utilise it. As an example:
Last year, Grundy spent probably 24 minutes of each 1/4 on the ground with 6 minutes or so on the bench. With quarters now only going for approx 24 minutes, will he spend most of his time on the ground? We just don't know.

I wonder if a busier schedule of games will lead to more rotation of players in and out of teams?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely will...some teams will play 3 games in 10-12 days... there is no way guys like Danger are doing that...throw is players coming back from injury like Tom Mitchell...there will be a lot of vfl and nation wide state league players getting games.

I watched Warnies periscope before, he mentioned for AFL Fantasy their prices will change via the amount of total points per round, can only imagine it'll be similar for DT so uber premiums might not drop as much

We won't be able to tell what's going on until round 2-3 in regards to price changes/scoring etc though

I really cbf but I'll fiddle around with a yolo team tomorrow i guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back