News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

You are in pretty good shape to start with yeah? CrossFit?

Not as good as a couple of years ago, I couldn't train as much during lockdowns, but yeah, I like to think I'm reasonably fit for my age.

I had covid a couple of weeks ago. Picked a great time. First day of a 2 week holiday, so meant we had to isolate as a family for 7 days. Turns out the days they deemed me to be most contagious I was in a PD in pretty close proximity to others, and that night went camping. Spent a night in a double swag with one of my kids, and the next night with my other one.

Despite that, and then trying to make my wife catch it so we could get our isolation done at the same time, nobody else got it from me.

Was an odd illness for me. I had a pretty bad cold at the same time. I think the combination made me feel worse than if I had it while i was in good health, although as bad as some of the early days were, I think i bounced back within about 4 days. Felt fine for the last few after being utterly exhausted, feverish and completely losing my voice.

Happy Return GIF by Gogglebox Australia

So it's being reported that the new covid variants are vaccine resistant/can bypass vaccines, yet the health authorities keep telling us to get vaccinated.

Conflicting messages are out there, what are we to do? If vaccines do nothing I don't see a point in having them so is it irresponsible reporting by the media or is the medical profession clinging onto vaccines as a safeguard, albeit one that is rapidly diminishing in it's efficacy?

So it's being reported that the new covid variants are vaccine resistant/can bypass vaccines, yet the health authorities keep telling us to get vaccinated.

Conflicting messages are out there, what are we to do? If vaccines do nothing I don't see a point in having them so is it irresponsible reporting by the media or is the medical profession clinging onto vaccines as a safeguard, albeit one that is rapidly diminishing in it's efficacy?
It’s incorrect reporting by the media.

Effectiveness of the jabs is definitely blunted, but the implication that they do nothing is horseshit.

Covid has really smashed the immune systems of my kids. Been coughing and sneezing for a little over 2 weeks ago. Every time they start sounding better, they go right back to square one.

Same story with my dad, come to think of it

Day 10 here, still testing positive. Wife is on day 8. Just annoying symptoms still hanging around - nose periodically blocked, the odd headache. Definitely noticing physical exertion tells on me much quicker - even just plucking some weeds today left me pretty drained.

And a little disconcertingly, I cannot taste or smell a thing at the moment, even when my nose is clear.

Somehow, the kids seem to have avoided it thus far at least, or if they haven't they're asymptomatic only as both are their normal selves. We've been masking up around them, airing the house out and are both vaccinated and boosted, but it still seems a little too good to be true. Maybe we're just not that infectious - who knows.

I didn't lose my taste completely, but everything tasted weird, especially coffee.

That said, I barely had an appetite for the couple of days when symptoms were the worst, so the taste of things was largely a moot point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was day 11 when i first tested negative, it was a royal pain in the arse as i felt good from about day 6.

I never lost taste or smell, neither did my parents who had it last week (my wife and kids still haven't had it). All my in-laws lost taste and smell, ranging from 2 to 5 days before it came back. They all said it made eating seem pointless when everything tastes like nothing.

Have not had it . We got vaccinated early due to work and have had my second booster 3 months ago so it is now 4 done.
I think being in a household of 2 with minimal visitors helps.

I reckon I have just had it for the second time. 5 people in my office have had it over the last two weeks and I have ben in close proximity to then at different times and despite having covid symptoms - the initial sore throat and headache giving way to a cough loss of smell and taste etc, I have continued to test negative. I have done 8 RAT tests.

i'm hearing that some RAT tests may not pick up omicron and variants

Last edited:
Day 10 here, still testing positive. Wife is on day 8. Just annoying symptoms still hanging around - nose periodically blocked, the odd headache. Definitely noticing physical exertion tells on me much quicker - even just plucking some weeds today left me pretty drained.

And a little disconcertingly, I cannot taste or smell a thing at the moment, even when my nose is clear.

Somehow, the kids seem to have avoided it thus far at least, or if they haven't they're asymptomatic only as both are their normal selves. We've been masking up around them, airing the house out and are both vaccinated and boosted, but it still seems a little too good to be true. Maybe we're just not that infectious - who knows.

You are only infectious for 4 or 5 days - After that you are free to conduct your business if your health permits - There is little point testing after day seven because some can test positve for 30 days.

Finally ended up with it as of last week.
A pretty good run to last this long without catching it, but wife brought it home from Christmas party and from there it was a matter of time, lasted 5 days before I came down with it too.
Without doubt the worst I have ever felt and still paying for it a week in. Hopefully can move past it and start regaining some fitness soon but something tells me that is going to be a slog.

Makes me thankful I never got the original strain when no vax was available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back