Coronavirus: International Facts and Figures

Remove this Banner Ad

Anti-vax quack.

I've made my excellent contribution to the Great Mask Debate in the short video above, however your smart ass personal attack rather than arguing the facts is insulting and logically unsound.

The recent CDC report from May 2020 that was linked in Les's post is a review of published articles evaluating personal protective measures in pandemic flu in lab and non healthcare settings.

Masks

In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I2 = 30%, p = 0.25) (Figure 2).

Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids (36). There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

In lower-income settings, it is more likely that reusable cloth masks will be used rather than disposable medical masks because of cost and availability (38). There are still few uncertainties in the practice of face mask use, such as who should wear the mask and how long it should be used for. In theory, transmission should be reduced the most if both infected members and other contacts wear masks, but compliance in uninfected close contacts could be a problem (12,34). Proper use of face masks is essential because improper use might increase the risk for transmission (39). Thus, education on the proper use and disposal of used face masks, including hand hygiene, is also needed.

I've made my excellent contribution to the Great Mask Debate in the short video above, however your smart ass personal attack rather than arguing the facts is insulting and logically unsound.

The recent CDC report from May 2020 that was linked in Les's post is a review of published articles evaluating personal protective measures in pandemic flu in lab and non healthcare settings.

Masks

In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I2 = 30%, p = 0.25) (Figure 2).

Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids (36). There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

In lower-income settings, it is more likely that reusable cloth masks will be used rather than disposable medical masks because of cost and availability (38). There are still few uncertainties in the practice of face mask use, such as who should wear the mask and how long it should be used for. In theory, transmission should be reduced the most if both infected members and other contacts wear masks, but compliance in uninfected close contacts could be a problem (12,34). Proper use of face masks is essential because improper use might increase the risk for transmission (39). Thus, education on the proper use and disposal of used face masks, including hand hygiene, is also needed.

Forget to switch between your different accounts Les Malone ???

Masks

Post the source, then. Don’t post anti-vax quacks making outrageous claims.

Sorry but it’s rubbish.

In theory, transmission should be reduced the most if both infected members and other contacts wear masks, but compliance in uninfected close contacts could be a problem
So they have an effect.

Anti-vax quack.

i have nothing specifically against the flu vaccine but i have never had it and intend to stay away from it as long as i can.

you and your family (if you have one) are more than welcome to have one every year

Sweden deaths are down to 0 and their economy is the only one in Europe to grow in 2020, and is the best performing in Europe for 2020

They have 5000 deaths so extrapolating that to Australia it would be about 12000. But in reality a lot less because we are more spread out and have had extra months to prepare while it swept through Sweden right at the start

So at some point the question will be, at what point in the economic and societal destruction of Australia do we need to just open and accept that a few thousand extremely elderly and sick will need extra quarentine measures. If there is no vaccine I think it will be start of 2021 when suicides are out of control and the economy is on the brink of no return

Last edited:
i have nothing specifically against the flu vaccine but i have never had it and intend to stay away from it as long as i can.

you and your family (if you have one) are more than welcome to have one every year

This is a forum about football yet you somehow seem to make it about your beliefs and how you don't believe in vaccines......

This is a forum about football yet you somehow seem to make it about your beliefs and how you don't believe in vaccines......

i have said nothing remotely like what you suggest and this board/thread is actually about covid not football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sweden deaths are down to 0 and their economy is the only one in Europe to grow in 2020, and is the best performing in Europe for 2020

They have 5000 deaths so extrapolating that to Australia it would be about 12000. But in reality a lot less because we are more spread out and have had extra months to prepare while it swept through Sweden right at the start

So at some point the question will be, at what point in the economic and societal destruction of Australia do we need to just open and accept that a few thousand extremely elderly and sick will need extra quarentine measures. If there is no vaccine I think it will be start of 2021 when suicides are out of control and the economy is on the brink of no return

i don't think they had 5,500 deaths from covid, they count anyone who dies from covid within 28 days of them testing positive, many people may have died with covid

i suspect looking at all cause mortality they had 2/3000.

just a bad flu season and a very soft 2019, where they had an 'excess' of people 1596408517153.png

Attachments

• 1596408516266.png
    1596408516266.png
    265.8 KB · Views: 8
good grief, lockdown, masks ?

Dr. Les--- we get it, you're a "Sovereign Citizen" that isn't bound by the Corporations that is the GOVERNMENT & the POLICE.

You seem to be obsessed with something that's happening on the other side of the country to where you live. Maybe you should focus more on AFL Footy & less time making tin foil hats.

Dr. Les--- we get it, you're a "Sovereign Citizen" that isn't bound by the Corporations that is the GOVERNMENT & the POLICE.

You seem to be obsessed with something that's happening on the other side of the country to where you live. Maybe you should focus more on AFL Footy & less time making tin foil hats.

maybe you should focus less on me and more on getting solid info about whats happening in our country

you seem a bit obsessed TBH

you cant convince the MSM brainwashed,you never will,just leave it at that,if they cant read btwn the lines let them continue its theyre problem
they love theyre dose of lies everyday it makes then feel safe as long as big brother is telling them how they should feel and behave all is good:D

maybe you should focus less on me and more on getting solid info about whats happening in our country

you seem a bit obsessed TBH

90% of your posts have been in various COVID threads across BigFooty. This is a Forum dedicated to AFL Footy--- not Dr. Les' nut job conspiracy theories.

I'll re-state my question to you.

You live in Perth---- why do you care so much about a virus that's basically been eradicated in your state (with minimal remaining restrictions)?

by the way,last night was a full moon do the brainwashed that wore theyre ridiculous masks these past 10 days because they naively thought
the narrative was gonna go away if they did...ROFL,do they understand what the significance of that full moon and the decision to lockdown ?

90% of your posts have been in various COVID threads across BigFooty. This is a Forum dedicated to AFL Footy--- not Dr. Les' nut job conspiracy theories.

I'll re-state my question to you.

You live in Perth---- why do you care so much about a virus that's basically been eradicated in your state (with minimal remaining restrictions)?

you seem obsessed with me

is my posting history upsetting you ?

We have influenza vaccines. If everyone who could get a flu jab did get a flu jab, we'd be much better off.

Instead we have people displaying their ignorance and adding to the problem.

you seem obsessed with me

is my posting history upsetting you ?

Want to know the truth?

I'm current being forced to WFH, with only an hour a day I'm allowed outside to exercise and a curfew where I can't leave my home between 8pm-5am.

Want to know why that's the case???

Because of people like you who didn't take this virus seriously (obviously not you because you're in Perth) who ignored social distancing measures, mocked the system through your rants and YouTube videos and further spread the disease. I've been asking for MONTHS (across multiple threads) that can you please consider your actions before you continue to spread this misinformation that you continually do. My life currently F****n sucks because of this conspiracy that COVID is "just the flu".

ppl do realise that we were supposed to be given 72 hours notice by law to organise our affairs before illegal lockingdown was practiced ?
yeah ? you all do know that right ? you do recall the last 3 staging of stages that 72 hours was the time frame ? so theres a breach of policy
right there.do ppl now believe the wearing of a mask is doing anything ?...can someone on here provide me the evidence that wearing a mask when your
fit and healthy is of any benefit ?...i want proof,not drivel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back