Coronavirus: International Facts and Figures

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
It's also worth noting Japan and South Korea, two countries that had done well up to now are struggling big time. Many countries hadn't seen a winter with COVID - it's pretty clear that there is a seasonal aspect to it.
Seeing what’s happened in Europe makes it pretty clear. They were able to hold hundreds of cases per day consistently. Even without good contact tracing it doesn’t take a whole lot to get R below 1 in summer. Winter is a very different story.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
For the, Its just a cold, and, total deaths are the same! crowd.

US poised to see the largest percentage increase in total deaths since 1918. Yes Virginia, Covid is real, and it kills people, lots of them.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
For the, Its just a cold, and, total deaths are the same! crowd.

US poised to see the largest percentage increase in total deaths since 1918. Yes Virginia, Covid is real, and it kills people, lots of them.

Speaking of history - during the middle ages they celebrated the end of the great plague with wine and orgies...!

Accordingly, does anyone know if they have anything similar planned when this pandemic is over, asking for a friend...?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Speaking of history - during the middle ages they celebrated the end of the great plague with wine and orgies...!

Accordingly, does anyone know if they have anything similar planned when this pandemic is over, asking for a friend...?
Maybe that is what Trump has been doing.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Eqt_BD6XAAIVd6I

Looney

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Even the 1% death rate figure of 3,282,000 deaths are grossly misleading. That's assuming every single person with covid will get treatment, which is not possible. The only reason why the death rate is low is because most covid patients can be treated. But because America's hospital system is already feeling the strain, increase in infections means more and more covid patients will not be able to receive treatment. If America were to attempt herd immunity, the more realistic death toll will be around 10,000,000. There would also be millions of non covid related deaths because people with other ailments would not be able to get treatment because the hospitals are maxed out.

Black white

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even the 1% death rate figure of 3,282,000 deaths are grossly misleading. That's assuming every single person with covid will get treatment, which is not possible. The only reason why the death rate is low is because most covid patients can be treated. But because America's hospital system is already feeling the strain, increase in infections means more and more covid patients will not be able to receive treatment. If America were to attempt herd immunity, the more realistic death toll will be around 10,000,000. There would also be millions of non covid related deaths because people with other ailments would not be able to get treatment because the hospitals are maxed out.
The us is actually doing better or less worse than many European countries.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm no expert, but I must say that I've found the whole 'economy versus old people dying' thing to be a bit weird.

There seems to be a mentality from some of my friends who, let's say, are fairly well entrenched in the 'right' side of politics, that it was always a one or the other type scenario.

Basically, you either let the old people die which was going to happen anyway, and everything would be normal and we'd all be happy and rich. Or you are forced to wear masks, have restrictions and lockdowns - and we're screwed financially.

I remember reading somewhere once that sickies cost the economy more than $30b. So people getting sick, even if they don't die - is not good. Forget that it makes you feel s**t, it's bad for the economy too.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I see the US has allowed the use of Remdesivir finally, even though WHO recommended not to use it Nov 2020. That was probably because it was one of the things Trump took. The Americans can get this drug in the form of a horse paste if they dare take it, over the counter. It makes you think.

Black white

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see the US has allowed the use of Remdesivir finally, even though WHO recommended not to use it Nov 2020. That was probably because it was one of the things Trump took. The Americans can get this drug in the form of a horse paste if they dare take it, over the counter. It makes you think.

The US is actually doing better than Europe (Belgium for example 11 m people 21 m deaths) and most of South America.

Peru , which has had one of the hardest lockdowns in the world has had the worst figures in the world during most of this crisis.

The US is actually doing better than Europe (Belgium for example 11 m people 21 m deaths) and most of South America.

Peru , which has had one of the hardest lockdowns in the world has had the worst figures in the world during most of this crisis.
Do you have a link to the data? It’s a bit difficult to believe that of the 11m people in Belgium, 21m are dead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black white

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you have a link to the data? It’s a bit difficult to believe that of the 11m people in Belgium, 21m are dead.

John Hopkins uni data

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

The richest and most advanced country in the world is doing better than most poor Latin American countries? That is amazing.

Black white

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why would you compare the US with Peru?

I don't see the relevance of the comparison to be honest.
I am pointing out that besides most comments here and in the media portraying the US as the worst performing country in the world, it isn't. Peru for one, has been far worse. I can compare to Europe if you like? The us still comes out better. What is a good comparison to the us?

I am pointing out that besides most comments here and in the media portraying the US as the worst performing country in the world, it isn't. Peru for one, has been far worse. I can compare to Europe if you like? The us still comes out better. What is a good comparison to the us?
What happened when you adjust for GDP per capita?

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Isn't the issue that Trump keeps telling everyone what a brilliant job he/they are doing?

I think that's where most seem to draw the comparison from.

FWIW, I don't really see how any country with open borders (either internally or externally) and huge populations could ever really contain a virus like this. I don't really think there is any comparison to the US other than China and Russia I suppose.

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dr Pierre Kory, led a team of Doctors, Professors and researchers dedicated to using re-purposed medication and found that Ivermectin halts Covid in it's tracks.

In Argentina 400 front line health workers used Ivermectin as a prophylactic and NONE of them got sick, of the 400 that weren't medicated 258 contracted the virus. He presented his findings to the US senate and has all their research submitted for peer review. His team literally cannot be anymore credible or qualified. His address, is still on Youtube and typically, this man of science has been labelled many things since presenting the data.

If politicians in the US and Australia don't use Ivermectin, it is no longer Covid19 killing people. They want to make money from pushing vaccines. Smell the f$$cking coffee people.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If politicians in the US and Australia don't use Ivermectin, it is no longer Covid19 killing people. They want to make money from pushing vaccines. Smell the f$$cking coffee people.

Sorry, but these 'sheeple' and 'Smell the f$$cking coffee people' insults are so regularly preceded by an internet article and nothing more, that it really gives me the irrits.

There's never mention of rebuttals, alternate scientific views, no specifics of the actual scientific findings. No detailed explanation of the studies.

It's literally no different to precisely what the people that throw these comments around, are accusing everyone else of doing. It's literally saying 'Hey, a scientists said it, so it must be true'. Isn't that exactly what you're hanging s**t on everyone else for?

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Watch the address. He presents hard evidence. Jesus christ, look him up on youtube and take 10 minutes.

They all present 'hard evidence'.

I'm interested in your interpretation of it, and what you also think of the alternate opinions on the same subject presented by equally qualified people.

And I'm curious as to why you choose to take his opinion above the others.

If you're asking, nay demanding that others believe this stuff - you need to do more than flicking a Youtube video.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back