Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but then you would have had to put your hand on your face - mouth, eyes etc. We have been told how many times not to touch your face unless you have just washed your hands thoroughly
You touch your face more than you realise, even when you think you arent. Then there are things you touch, that touch your face. They have found the virus all over surfaces on some of the cruise ships, days after everybody had left.

So, touch something someone with the virus touched, get it on your hands, then touch a pen in your pocket, tie a shoelace, touch your shoes, loosen a belt buckle, now its on your belt. Open the door to your house, now its on the door handle. Go in side, wash your hands, now its on the tap.

Get up in the morning, wash, do your teeth, but you touched the tap first, so now its on your toothbrush. Put on your clothes, put on your belt and shoes. Go have breakfast, and now its on your dish, your spoon, your knife.

Maybe the quantities arent enough to infect you, but if the person that was the source of the bugs was a super spreader, you may have got a LOT of virus on your hands, and from the time it happened until the next time you gave your hands a good wash, you possibly contaminate everything you touch.

Everybody talks about the mistake letting people of the cruise ship, and the Japanese were much smarter quarantining the infected ship in Japan.

But now its spreading in Japan, because the officials that had to go on the boat to test and support, touched things. They had found 19 that were infected by a couple of days ago, and they had been spreading it around. And they were officials that knew they were on a ship contaminated with the virus, and a whole bunch of them STILL got it.

So yes, its far better and safer to wash your hands, but safer does not mean safe.

If you go to this site;
compare the infection rate graph in the bottom right hand corner. America’s is startling in in rapid upward growth. UK and Germany look bad as well. Have a look at Australia’s and see what you all think. We might be a small nation but we pull our weight. To me it looks on a worrying trajector, similar to countries that are being and about to get smashed.
Here is a screenshot of the Yanks infection rate. Not good viewing.
View attachment 846733
America is in the poop. But apparently Trump won’t care even though he is looking down the barrel of a catastrophe which he presided over and which he took lightly and fobbed off early doors.
Australia, hold my beer, need to go buy dunny paper and she’ll be apples mate.
America will hit 100,000 in a week. Will be the new epicentre of the virus, and won’t be topped anytime soon. Predicted it as soon as an American got infected. Trump is an embarrassment of a leader to have and he’s fixtated in the media that he forgot about the humanity of the situation. It’s real, it’s hapepning. Absolute worst president to have in these times. Talking of LOOSENING the quarantine rather then tightening/lockdown. Forget it mate, USA is heading to a Great Depression, your hotels and golf course are stuffed.
Thankfully Governors have emergency command of their states. But gee, the ‘Greatest country in the world’ has shockingly bad health care and even worst governship.

The country will not be destroyed. The economy will be trashed, but it will recover over time. If nothing is done and people start dropping dead left right and centre, the economy will be trashed regardless. I've seen you post this sentiment a few times now, but you're not presenting any viable alternative.

Forget about 3 years and another virus. I'm worried about the same virus, or a mutated strain, coming around again next year.
When another virus comes, (for example if chronic wasting disease makes the jump from US deer to humans) i would hope that the world will actually be prepared.
We had SARS and swine flu as warnings and unfortunately many western nations, bar maybe Germany, didnt take the warning seriously enough. If nothing else, we will come out of this one more resilient.

The economy is pretty screwed for the moment, but I do appreciate how this is highlighting the importance of the common worker. We will rebound, humanity has done it before.

Last edited:
Agree absolutely albo should be at national cabinet table. Scotty from marketing would be terrified as albo has more leadership in his left nut than Scotty has in his entire body.

If albo can’t roll Scotty at the next we should get Andrews in to run for PM. Bloke just gets it done

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most aren't calling it Wuhan virus now. They're following the Great Leader and calling it Chinese Virus. There's really only two possible reasons for this; racism, or ignorance. It has an actual name, and the racial connotations have been well documented; so unless you're totally ignorant, the insistence on calling it something other than it's actual name is no faux pas. Oh no. It is intentional and likely an expression of angst towards China and/or Chinese people.

With reports surfacing of Asian people being assaulted because of the virus both here and in the US, this sowing of prejudice should be called out for what it is. I don't care what lame arse reason people want to hide behind. It is transparent. There is simply nowhere to hide. You're outing yourselves.
I’m outing myself??? I do not call it by anything other than “coronavirus”, “novel coronavirus” and “COVID-19”. What are you accusing me of having “outed” myself on?

I despise racism, but I also dislike it when people rush way too quickly to call someone racist. That’s why I showed you ways in which someone who calls it “Wuhan Virus” may not have been racist. Don’t rush to call someone a racist.

Besides, I never said anything about “Chinese Virus”. I was only talking about people using the term “Wuhan Virus”. The term “Chinese Virus” did not develop until after the term “COVID-19” was coined so I do question the intention of those who call it this.

Just read Dangerfields comments about wanting more “certainty” from the AFL. What a self-centred ignorant meathead. In case you didnt realise Patrick - the whole world is dealing with a health and financial crisis.

Absolute moron.

His comments were awkward but you can almost see his point given we don’t yet know if the entire season is canceled.

Riewoldt’s comments are worse imo. Using the bushfire match as a way of justifying your greed now is disgusting.

Overall the players haven’t covered themselves in glory lately. Compared to a few NBA players (yes I know they’re millionaires) who are donating 500k-$1000000+ to pay club employees when the owners should doing it, it makes a few footy players just look terrible.

If you can’t live on the hundreds of thousands you’ve been paid the previous few years then too bloody bad.

His comments were awkward but you can almost see his point given we don’t yet know if the entire season is canceled.

Riewoldt’s comments are worse imo. Using the bushfire match as a way of justifying your greed now is disgusting.

Overall the players haven’t covered themselves in glory lately. Compared to a few NBA players (yes I know they’re millionaires) who are donating 500k-$1000000+ to pay club employees when the owners should doing it, it makes a few footy players just look terrible.

If you can’t live on the hundreds of thousands you’ve been paid the previous few years then too bloody bad.

They are so isolated from reality, have self centerd drivers and generally immature emotional IQ it is staggering that their opinion is sought. Who listens?

Many of my friends their family members have lost their jobs, those who have still got jobs are under the pump and in many cases putting themselves in the firing line to keep things running. My partners business and income have come to a standstill. It actually makes me sick that the players are arguing about how much they are going to be paid to sit at home and play playstation all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You touch your face more than you realise, even when you think you arent. Then there are things you touch, that touch your face. They have found the virus all over surfaces on some of the cruise ships, days after everybody had left.

So, touch something someone with the virus touched, get it on your hands, then touch a pen in your pocket, tie a shoelace, touch your shoes, loosen a belt buckle, now its on your belt. Open the door to your house, now its on the door handle. Go in side, wash your hands, now its on the tap.

Get up in the morning, wash, do your teeth, but you touched the tap first, so now its on your toothbrush. Put on your clothes, put on your belt and shoes. Go have breakfast, and now its on your dish, your spoon, your knife.

Maybe the quantities arent enough to infect you, but if the person that was the source of the bugs was a super spreader, you may have got a LOT of virus on your hands, and from the time it happened until the next time you gave your hands a good wash, you possibly contaminate everything you touch.

Everybody talks about the mistake letting people of the cruise ship, and the Japanese were much smarter quarantining the infected ship in Japan.

But now its spreading in Japan, because the officials that had to go on the boat to test and support, touched things. They had found 19 that were infected by a couple of days ago, and they had been spreading it around. And they were officials that knew they were on a ship contaminated with the virus, and a whole bunch of them STILL got it.

So yes, its far better and safer to wash your hands, but safer does not mean safe.

Well that was a cheerful rundown!

Link no longer works (nor does cache history search). Seven have buried the story.

Third AFL player caught defying coronavirus restrictions with late-night house party
Digital Staff
7NEWS

Thursday, 26 March 2020 7:12 am

Geelong coach Chris Scott prefers 'empathy' for the AFL amid the coronavirus crisis
Geelong coach Chris Scott prefers 'empathy' for the AFL amid the coronavirus crisis Credit: AAP

AFL Players’ Association president Patrick Dangerfield has called on his colleagues to take COVID-19 seriously after a third AFL player was caught breaking guidelines with a late-night house party.
Dangerfield’s Geelong teammate Mark Blicavs was the host of a party that extended well past midnight on Sunday night, with police reportedly called in over a noise complaint.
The news of his indiscretion comes after North Melbourne teammates Nick Larkey and Cameron Zurhaar apologised for hosting a gathering at their home on Sunday night.

That party in Kensington was just hours after the Kangaroos’ win over St Kilda and the AFL announcement that the season had been suspended.
Neighbours complained of a disturbance late at night though police were not called.
But over in Geelong West police visited Blicavs’ home to put a stop to his party, reports the Geelong Advertiser.
Both AFL player-led parties defied government advice to limit social distancing and avoid organised gatherings.

Pubs and clubs around the country have been closed, while Victorian premier Daniel Andrews told people on Wednesday “if you can stay home, you must stay home”.
Dangerfield called Blicavs’ party a “mistake”.
“It shows how important it is to follow the rules put in place by the government and health experts. Clearly that information is changing and becoming more severe as the days go by. We need to take these seriously,” he said on SEN radio.
“We urge everyone to help their mates but to do so now in a confined environment. I get that it’s a stressful environment for everyone but we all need to do our part. We need to self-isolate, we need to limit exposure with other people.

One of the few times I wholeheartedly agree with Can do.

I’m outing myself???

Read the line again ...

I don't care what lame arse reason people want to hide behind. It is transparent. There is simply nowhere to hide. You're outing yourselves.”

Now think for a moment; is that a generic statement, or something directed at you personally?

I was only talking about people using the term “Wuhan Virus” ...

You joined a discussion that arose from this post -

Wuhan Virus ... China Corona Virus ... Chayna Virus ... CCP Virus ... Even the name is mutating.”

Perhaps you didn’t realise the full context of the discussion, idk, but if you’re only talking about the term Wuhan virus, then you’re having a different discussion to the one you chimed in on.

Last edited:
Are people seriously expecting ~800 players ranging from earning $80k to $1mil to be able to come to a single agreement on a paycut in under a week? It’s going to take time to work it out.
theyre called accountants, they do this for a living. 800 is a tiny number compared to what many people have to deal with.

the players are lucky they are even being asked at all. most normal people get no say and just hope their company has enough money to even just survive.

America will hit 100,000 in a week. Will be the new epicentre of the virus, and won’t be topped anytime soon. Predicted it as soon as an American got infected. Trump is an embarrassment of a leader to have and he’s fixtated in the media that he forgot about the humanity of the situation. It’s real, it’s hapepning. Absolute worst president to have in these times. Talking of LOOSENING the quarantine rather then tightening/lockdown. Forget it mate, USA is heading to a Great Depression, your hotels and golf course are stuffed.
Thankfully Governors have emergency command of their states. But gee, the ‘Greatest country in the world’ has shockingly bad health care and even worst governship.

USA now has the largest number of active cases.

I imagine our very low in comparison death rate is because
a) Hasnt got to the elderly
b) We tested quite a few, quite early so our numbers per capita were more accurate than the US and Italy where it was clearly rampant

I imagine our death rate will stay lower than US and Italy because
a) Our population density is significantly lower than the other nations, spread will be slower, health system not as overloaded
b) Because our numbers are a better representation of the infection (due to the testing), our counter-measures have been enacted earlier than Italy/US/Spain etc

I do want to see a full lockdown by the end of the week.

I said earlier but some states have already seen a bit of a level off the last 4-5 days in daily infection numbers, probably optimistic but hopefully that continues the next week
We can only hope. The signs right now according to the article are - ‘is the glass half full or half empty?’ Our trajectory is worrying - doubling every 3 days and results from restrictions cannot be fully appreciated until 2 weeks? after implementation.
I think we are in a lull. Listen to Prof. Murphy yesterday morning even he spoke of an ‘alarming’ rate of increase. This would be a first for me hearing him use such language. And we had other medical professors saying we have now a small window of opportunity to act decisively otherwise govt will have muffed it. 2 days he reckoned.
Personally I think we need shutdowns and the longer we sit on our hands the harder we make it. Social distancing works and flattens the curve. Because we have so many morons around the world we need to enforce the shutdown via the military and police. Stop movement, social distance, good hygiene and we will flatten the curve.
Going to the hairdressers, rushing to get your nails done, hustling for toilet paper and visiting multiple sites to do so, leaving schools open, keeping public transport operating and in general all the half arsed measures will not flatten the curve.
And as sad as it is, * the economy. It is shot and surely from this we wise up and realise, ‘you can’t breath money’ - Chief Sitting Bull. Lives are more important.

Third AFL player caught defying coronavirus restrictions with late-night house party
Digital Staff
7NEWS

Thursday, 26 March 2020 7:12 am

Geelong coach Chris Scott prefers 'empathy' for the AFL amid the coronavirus crisis'empathy' for the AFL amid the coronavirus crisis
Geelong coach Chris Scott prefers 'empathy' for the AFL amid the coronavirus crisis Credit: AAP

AFL Players’ Association president Patrick Dangerfield has called on his colleagues to take COVID-19 seriously after a third AFL player was caught breaking guidelines with a late-night house party.
Dangerfield’s Geelong teammate Mark Blicavs was the host of a party that extended well past midnight on Sunday night, with police reportedly called in over a noise complaint.
The news of his indiscretion comes after North Melbourne teammates Nick Larkey and Cameron Zurhaar apologised for hosting a gathering at their home on Sunday night.

That party in Kensington was just hours after the Kangaroos’ win over St Kilda and the AFL announcement that the season had been suspended.
Neighbours complained of a disturbance late at night though police were not called.
But over in Geelong West police visited Blicavs’ home to put a stop to his party, reports the Geelong Advertiser.
Both AFL player-led parties defied government advice to limit social distancing and avoid organised gatherings.

Pubs and clubs around the country have been closed, while Victorian premier Daniel Andrews told people on Wednesday “if you can stay home, you must stay home”.
Dangerfield called Blicavs’ party a “mistake”.
“It shows how important it is to follow the rules put in place by the government and health experts. Clearly that information is changing and becoming more severe as the days go by. We need to take these seriously,” he said on SEN radio.
“We urge everyone to help their mates but to do so now in a confined environment. I get that it’s a stressful environment for everyone but we all need to do our part. We need to self-isolate, we need to limit exposure with other people.

So now they've unburied it.

Many of my friends their family members have lost their jobs, those who have still got jobs are under the pump and in many cases putting themselves in the firing line to keep things running. My partners business and income have come to a standstill. It actually makes me sick that the players are arguing about how much they are going to be paid to sit at home and play playstation all day.
Yeah I'm in the same boat and whilst I'd never wish what I'm and others are going through on anyone, it does feel strange to see AFL players talking about 'pay' still.

You're currently not required for your job, in the real world you would have been stood down indefinitely on Monday. You can't get paid for not playing football when playing football is your job.

Secondly, in order for your job to still be vacant for 2021, you need to sacrifice your pay or your employer won't be able to afford to pay you next year. It's not rocket science.

It's hilarious - the most important thing we hear from the AFLPA is the mental health and wellbeing of players, but when a deadly virus hits the country they still want to play. The second thing we hear is that footy is 'just a job' these days as players need lives outside of footy. Now they don't want to treat it as just a job all of a sudden.

I knew they were in a bubble but geez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back