Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Status
Not open for further replies.
The head of the WHO also got the job though China's support plus his home country is reliant on Chinese trade investment.

So outrageously corrupt.

If the who didn't chastise countries for banning travel from China early doors we may not be in such a s**t position right now.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If the who didn't chastise countries for banning travel from China early doors we may not be in such a s**t position right now.

Did more then that:

Then they had the nerve to say the world "missed the 1st window to stop the spread."

“The time to act was actually more than a month ago, two months ago. That’s what we have been saying,” he said at a news briefing. “But we still believe that there is opportunity.”

“I think we squandered the first window of opportunity but we are saying today,” Tedros added. “This is a second opportunity that we should not squander.”

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If it’s not at least a 17 round season, where everyone plays everyone, to me the season would have an asterisk. Season should be null and void if it doesn’t happen.
The season ain't happening.

Many of us were saying as much during the week leading into round 1.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did more then that:

Then they had the nerve to say the world "missed the 1st window to stop the spread."

China is doing more than just influencing the WHO. Their trying to get their grubby hands on as many strategic economic and geographical locations as possible. Even during the pandemic they are trying to profit and assert their influence.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
US Senator J. Hawley, a Republican, has introduced a resolution into the US Senate to hold China FULLY culpable for the covid-19 coverups, lies, & devestation it is FULLY responsible for unleashing onto the world.

He
" ... is calling for an international investigation into the Chinese government's handling of the coronavirus outbreak".

"...said the international community should quantify the damages from the coronavirus pandemic and force Beijing to pay for the lives & livelihoods that it has destroyed (all my emphases).

Hawley's views are certain to be echoed by many other US politicians (a few have made similar comments); & other countries' politicians (There have been reports of the British Conservative Party govt. wanting China to face a "reckoning" over its culpability).

It is very unlikely that China will voluntarily agree/cooperate to either of the plans in Hawley's Resolution.

This type of international response/anger etc. over China's culpabilty, & concomitant compensation, is very likely to become a major international issue for many years, so massive are the death/illnessses/financial losses. The Chinese Communist Party cannot simply solve this problem, as it does with some domestic "irritants": a jail term,"re-education camp","disappearance", or execution.
America is in a different situation to us. They have $100 billion of exports to china vs $4-500 billion of imports per year (meaning they lose $3-400 billion a year from trading with china)

By comparison Australia is the opposite. We export about $120 billion to china while we only import about half that. (we're +$60 billion a year from trading with them)

That's why the american government (particularly the trump administration) is so openly against china while our leaders are much more likely to be more 'diplomatic' shall we say. America will use the pandemic to escalate their trade war with china while Australia will be sitting very firmly on the fence.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The season ain't happening.

Many of us were saying as much during the week leading into round 1.
It has always seemed unlikely. Perhapsl es unlikely now than it did heading into round one.
The spread has been slower than I expected, of we get on top of it and there's an earlier than anticipated medical treatment (whether cure or vaccine) then maybe. But, at this point, there's still no guarantee season 2021 will start on time.
The one thing the AFL will have in its favour is the very strong possibility there will be no international cricket this summer, so grounds may be available if footy can be played from October onwards.

It would be mad to lift restrictions before widely available vaccine, or eradication, and risk a secondary breakout. But madness is not something politicians appear to have wide immunity from, so who knows.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
If it’s not at least a 17 round season, where everyone plays everyone, to me the season would have an asterisk. Season should be null and void if it doesn’t happen.
This season will have an * against it regardless of what happens from here.

But they get even half a season of games in towards the back end of the year it will greatly assist their financial position. There will no doubt be a really hollow feeling about those games but we live to fight another day.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
China is doing more than just influencing the WHO. Their trying to get their grubby hands on as many strategic economic and geographical locations as possible. Even during the pandemic they are trying to profit and assert their influence.

Wouldn't be surprised if China not only invented this virus but had the antidote/vaccine the whole time. They'll sweep most of the western economy and then swoop in as heroes with the solution.

proka123

All Australian
Apr 6, 2009
Moe
AFL Club
Melbourne
I find it extremely hard to believe that the season will be wiped completely. Gil has already stated that they're committed to play right up to NYE if necessary and I don't think he will waver on this. So if people still think the season will be called off, then I guess those same people expect us to be confined to our homes isolating until September - which call me an optimist, but I feel like we'll have the virus well in control by then. Some people will think that's a crazy thing to say but that's fine.

Now, let's say as an example that we are able to get the season underway after May 31 and start on Thursday, June the 5th. If we play the remaining 16 rounds and keep only the bye between the final H&A round and finals (players will need it after 16 straight weeks), that will culminate in an October 24th GF. Sounds reasonable considering our current predicament, right? In this instance there would be no need to shorten games, as the season will again be played as a traditional, week by week fixture.

Now stay with me here, the only reason in this situation that the AFL would want shorter breaks between games (e.g. 4-5 days) and shorter games in this context would be to preserve an MCG Grand Final. I believe the latest date the AFL could have the MCG host the GF is October the 10th due to the cricket world cup commencing the week after (which is a whole other kettle of fish in itself, this might not go ahead due to how well other nations have responded to Covid-19). If this is still the AFL's plan, then yes they would need to shorten breaks and yes potentially shorten matches like we saw in round 1 to fit the remaining matches into that timeframe.

Now, let's take the hypothetical point of view that the AFL is not prioritizing the use of the MCG and it's sole goal is to get a 17 round season completed in this calendar year. They could theoretically begin as late as August 14th which would still culminate in a December 31st Grand Final (which could be played at Perth, and be a twilight/night gf due to the likelihood of a 30+ degree day). They could still restart as a "traditional" season by this date and not need to shorten games, but any later and yes, they would need to shorten breaks and games to fit all the matches in - if we are to keep a traditional finals system which I hope they do. I hope to christ that they don't end up down this ludicrous wildcard path and begin rewarding mediocrity by having teams as low as 12th still being able to compete for a premiership during finals time.

I do agree though that the season must be a minimum of 17 H&A rounds in length to be considered a season, if this cannot be done then I do not see the season continuing. However I feel that we would have to wait until at least September if god forbid the season is still on hold at this stage for an announcement of this magnitude to occur.

Call me a guy with a lot of time on his hands, but I think we all have some spare time on our hands at this point! :p

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We won't know the true numbers for a while.

Even Italy there is underreported deaths by Covid-19 and they are aware of that. Unlike the CCP life is much more valuable to them and they will be transparent.

I thought the way that the Italians are reporting it’s possible that they are over reporting the Covid-19 mortality rate (like they have influenza where deaths associated with other mobilities are reported as influenza which is very different to the rest of Europe)

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
I thought the way that the Italians are reporting it’s possible that they are over reporting the Covid-19 mortality rate (like they have influenza where deaths associated with other mobilities are reported as influenza which is very different to the rest of Europe)
And Spain?

Who are they accountable to? They're the global super power now.
To the rest of the world. If countries decide to pull manufacturing out of China, sanctions, prevent flights from China, etc then they'll collapse.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
To the rest of the world. If countries decide to pull manufacturing out of China, sanctions, prevent flights from China, etc then they'll collapse.
Good, but it'll mean paying more for goods as we don't pay factory workers $2 per hour here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back