Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will we even have a flu season this year if this lockdown is still going?

If this is controlling the covid infection rates and the flu is less infectious surely stuff all people will have the flu this winter.
That's a valid question, the lockdown should reduce flu incidents.
Although there is also a risk some who would need a flu shot the most might be too worried about leaving the house to actually get it. So, if they do get exposed they are more at risk.

I need to get one soon.

BomberManU

All Australian
May 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
They are morons or think we don't do science at school.

Yes the virus can die. You stop transmission. It's not like covid-19 is intelligent which to find a place to cryogenically freeze itself and come back again. Once transmission stops it can't reproduce. Just like ALL life. Once you are the last of your species and can't replicate, that's it, extinction.

Of course that doesn't mean other countries won't have it. You can eradicate it from our island and put measures in place for quarantine until a vaccine is achieved.

It's a virus, so not 'alive'. It doesn't reproduce. It's a protein molecule, protected by a layer of fat, that decays on it's own.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sure, those are pertinent points, but why do you think this one will take more than 18 months when swine flu took 9?
I'm going by what the people who should know are saying, many of whom seem to be talking 12-18 months. And that would be with some fast-tracking.

It may be quicker, given the likely scale of resources and improvement in technology, but this is more SARS-like than flu-like.
I know nothing about virology so may well be jumping to entirely wrong conclusions, I would have thought SARS would be a comparison ahead of bird flu or swine flu.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's a virus, so not 'alive'. It doesn't reproduce. It's a protein molecule, protected by a layer of fat, that decays on it's own.

Semantics.

Virus send their RNA or DNA into a cell, hijack protein production to make copies of itself.

Covid strains cause apoptosis to maintain its homeostasis and reason why their deadly.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I thought the mantra was that nobody was bigger than the clubs. Why do the clubs need money if they're not producing? I'd rather give my money to people that need it, or to help fight this virus.

Seems to me that everyone else has to do it tough but footballers want to stay home with a good wage playing Xbox?

So if a club doesn't get cash for a year ago its history is erased? The entitlement coming from AFL I thought I'd never see. I've said this before this pandemic is bringing the best and worst in us and AFL prima donnas they could care little about the public or the sport. They're enamored with the cash. I'm not sure how people will feel about the AFL after, it's starting to lose its spirit for me, unless I'm mistaken and it was already gone in the first place.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I don't think you understand limits.
I'll dumb it down for you.

The kindergarten teacher brings in a basket of lollypops.
She tells you that there are two each.
Everyone takes 2, except Johnny takes 5.
The last few kids cry because they miss out.

The teacher tells the whole class off and tells them that because they were so naughty they will only get one lollypop tomorrow.

The law was "maximum 2 lollypops"
The reason for the law was clear.

Does reducing the law to 1 lollypop fix the problem?
I dont think you understand the purpose of road rules.

Road limits were not reduced because people were breaking the existing limits. They were reduced because they were keeping cars on suburban roads, to a speed that would still kill people they hit.

So, they thought, if we are going to limit the speed of cars to a relatively slow speed around suburban roads, full of kids and old people, why not make that limit a speed where people could survive the impact, even if hit by a car that didn't have time to break.

Its like, 3 lollipops, kill you, 2 lollipops make you really sick, 1 is ok. Making a lollipop limit of 2 is kinda dumb, and ******* johnny has nothing to do with it.Johnny.

I thought the mantra was that nobody was bigger than the clubs. Why do the clubs need money if they're not producing? I'd rather give my money to people that need it, or to help fight this virus.

Seems to me that everyone else has to do it tough but footballers want to stay home with a good wage playing Xbox?

So if a club doesn't get cash for a year ago its history is erased? The entitlement coming from AFL I thought I'd never see. I've said this before this pandemic is bringing the best and worst in us and AFL prima donnas they could care little about the public or the sport. They're enamored with the cash. I'm not sure how people will feel about the AFL after, it's starting to lose its spirit for me, unless I'm mistaken and it was already gone in the first place.

Eddie keeps on saying "if members are in financial strife we'll help them". How?

The_Irony

Senior List
May 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

good question. but i have a better question. where are this years power rankings?

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Eddie keeps on saying "if members are in financial strife we'll help them". How?

Eddie ain't giving anytime money, he's asking for money. Isn't that obvious? Ring the club see if they will give you a refund, they won't.

good question. but i have a better question. where are this years power rankings?

Maybe if we we're in lockdown for too long I'll do historical power rankings from year one.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would've thought it was fairly clear that he meant by refunding the membership. He clearly didn't want to go and just say yeah any old person can just ring up and get refunded because then everyone would. But seemed clear that reading between the lines if you had financial hardship you could be refunded.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Eddie ain't giving anytime money, he's asking for money. Isn't that obvious? Ring the club see if they will give you a refund, they won't.

Maybe if we we're in lockdown for too long I'll do historical power rankings from year one.
They will, if and when a member threatens to bring the ACCC down on them. There are a lot of industries doing it tough and they still have to give a refund if the service isn’t provided.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Imagine all the people locked inside who can't go to bars, clubs and gatherings and have missed the chance to meet their future spouse. In all Australia probably 20 000 people a weekend meet their future wife/husband

Thats 20 000 people who would have given birth to babies who now won't be born, much higher than the 20 people who have died from corona

Emissary

Senior List
Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Imagine all the people locked inside who can't go to bars, clubs and gatherings and have missed the chance to meet their future spouse. In all Australia probably 20 000 people a weekend meet their future wife/husband

Thats 20 000 people who would have given birth to babies who now won't be born, much higher than the 20 people who have died from corona

The coronials starting early next year will have this covered 👌

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond

Good. The world has too many people but culling obviously isn't an option.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Good. The world has too many people but culling obviously isn't an option.
Yeah Id say in the next few years this virus will do the opposite.

There will be babies everywhere.

People will think "u only live once" if undecided.. 10 bill+ by 2030

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

it was ten years before we had kids

I dont think you understand the purpose of road rules.

Road limits were not reduced because people were breaking the existing limits. They were reduced because they were keeping cars on suburban roads, to a speed that would still kill people they hit.

So, they thought, if we are going to limit the speed of cars to a relatively slow speed around suburban roads, full of kids and old people, why not make that limit a speed where people could survive the impact, even if hit by a car that didn't have time to break.

Its like, 3 lollipops, kill you, 2 lollipops make you really sick, 1 is ok. Making a lollipop limit of 2 is kinda dumb, and ******* johnny has nothing to do with it.Johnny.

I don't think you understood the purpose of my posting the analogy. ( which assumed the original speed limit was satisfactory ).
Never mind, its clear why we live in a nanny state.
Looking forward to the next time the government put a University Physics Professor on TV to explain that if a car goes slower it stops quicker.

Yeah Id say in the next few years this virus will do the opposite.

People will think "u only live once" if undecided.. 10 bill+ by 2030

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
The catastrophisers will not want to "bring children into this world". Have already seen weeping women stating this during the ridiculous climate change demos.

Light_Soda

Debutant
Nov 22, 2008
Neon City
AFL Club
Sydney

It will be the new Boomer generation

I disagree.

I would like to assume that the majority of our population are rational rather than stupid when approaching the notion of bringing a child into a world. The planning, thought and preparation needed for having a child in the normal world is already unprecedented and uncertain for many - the current climate of having to distance ourselves (thereby putting an uncertainty on the economy) would be a prime example of a unprecedented/displaced world and no where near the ideal and structured environment that would be preferred by would-be parents - at least by intelligent people, anyway.

I would assume there would have been tons of people who were thinking of having children recently who would have now put that on hold for the purpose of regrouping themselves and structuring themselves more solidly in terms of finances and foresight (simply the fact that the hysteria has got to them since).

tl;dr: the media dun spook'd em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back