Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. There'll come a point where even for committed fan, they won't hack footy past October.

I think you are right, I am not sure how invested the public will be if we are still playing into November. There will be some novelty for a few weeks but it won't be the same. AFL is a bigger sport than the Summer sports but presuming the worst is over I think the October to December market is going to be so crowded with events that it might feel like the NAB Cup.

Ch.9 WWOS C. Wilson 16.3

"The AFL is on the verge of extending its current TV rights deal for 2 years...The AFL receives $418m per year, and according to Wilson, the same agreement (ie @ $418m pa- my words) will now continue for 2 years".

"It will be announced in months, possibly 1 month" said Wilson, a very experienced, multi-award winning AFL journalist.

Colossal news for the AFL in particular, & growth of grassroots AF in general.

Last edited:

Why are you the dictator of the mental health of other people? It doesn’t impact on my mental health but I can see how it might for others who live and breathe sport.

Because I encourage those people to seek help if they feel like they can't go on without live sport. Same goes for a lot of other things. Did I say those people should 'harden up' or shut up about it? Nope - but the reality is public physical health is taking priority at the moment and professional sport is sacrificed for it.

Maybe I should have appended seek help at the end.

It's the attitude difference. I know people in the States who still don't isolate and think it's all overblown or a NYC problem. One person I know in LA has to work in shared space and had a sick co-worker that employers refused to send home until everyone kicked up a stink. Even then they just isolated them to an unused part of the office. Others are still getting their home reno's done, people still getting take out etc.

In China everyone I know said streets were near empty for weeks. Most locked themselves down hardcore for many weeks and didn't let a single soul enter their home. None were going to work. On the odd times they had to go out, everyone they saw was wearing a mask, shopkeepers kept several meters distance and asked for correct change to be left on the counter. And this was in places where there weren't a lot of reported cases anyway.

People in that part of the world, South Korea and Taiwan as well, just took this stuff more seriously than those in the US, so no surprises in the data.

Some really great charting on this site - https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/ppe
The first two months of the virus in China they claim no human to human transmission with zero lock down, yet the virus was contained? The Chinese numbers are bullshit plain and simple.

GF will either be at the MCG or Marvel with Optus Stadium a sneaky chance... or no season/GF at all.

lm all for an Optus Stadium GF in December

AFL would probably lean towards keeping it in Melbourne (even though OS would let a few thousand more fans in than Marvel)... as it would be considered more neutral than risk Eagles or Freo getting in the GF and we get the same s**t fight how home ground is too much of an advantage, more so than Richmond playing the GF at the MCG... unless it's a derby gf

Still, would be great for the national comp as a one off and trial a night GF for the eastern states

The first two months of the virus in China they claim no human to human transmission with zero lock down, yet the virus was contained? The Chinese numbers are bullshit plain and simple.

Nothing to do with attitude difference. It's an obvious one if you know anything about it and the consequence was predictable.

No doubt there have been bullshit coming out of China. The US numbers aren't bankable and neither are Australia's.

Re the last 2 weeks in China, it's close to business as usual, no overwhelmed hospitals. You believe what you want. I believe ears on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My circumstances are good. But if you’re an Aboriginal person living in poverty in a remote community with a life expectancy of 50 to 60, ‘straya iz da best’ would ring a little hollow.
Same could be said of every country though.

GF will either be at the MCG or Marvel with Optus Stadium a sneaky chance... or no season/GF at all.

AFL would probably lean towards keeping it in Melbourne (even though OS would let a few thousand more fans in than Marvel)... as it would be considered more neutral than risk Eagles or Freo getting in the GF and we get the same s**t fight how home ground is too much of an advantage, more so than Richmond playing the GF at the MCG... unless it's a derby gf

Still, would be great for the national comp as a one off and trial a night GF for the eastern states

It will be played I Melbourne no matter what the circumstances. It shouldn't be but that is a whole other debate. The AFL won't show any weakness and play it outside of Melbourne.

Anyone got an update today? In terms of new cases etc etc

Last check this morning

US - 277,000+ confirmed cases, 7128 deaths
Aus - 5,454 confirmed cases, 28 deaths

Anyone got an update today? In terms of new cases etc etc
Daily cases are dropping in most states. Just 30 in Victoria. Very encouraging but community transmission is the biggest threat from here, and that is still going up.

My wild guess - we will get games in this season, August - December, but with no crowds.

Will be interesting to see where we go from here.

Wage subsidies are in place for 6 months but its still best to get things moving as soon as possible without endangering the country.

Do we keep the current lockdown measures in place for another 3 months or slowly ease up restrictions each fortnight and test the waters before re-evaluating.

The key is to monitor ICU as well as overall testing numbers. So long as we keep the ICU being overwhelmed we wont see catastrophic numbers.

Best case scenario is that effective treatments become scientifically accepted that keep ICU numbers down and reduce the severity so that within 3-6 months we can ease up most of the restrictions

International borders shouldnt be opened until a vaccine is basically universally available but we can get the Australian economy going again just by having effective treatments in the meantime
I feel like if we were in danger of going down the Italy / Spain / USA path we would have seen at least some signs of it by now.

Our health system is coping very well and we have plenty of spare capacity to cope with increased cases. Only 30 odd deaths till now is an excellent result really.

I see a gradual relaxing of restrictions in about 3 months time whilst keeping a close eye on confirmed cases and continued lock downs of nursing homes and other vulnerable members of society.

You are right about international travel being off the cards untill a vaccine is available and administered though.

* it, let's go all in. A night GF at Optus, ie a 9pm bounce in the eastern states. Let's see how this campaigner virus goes up against that much alcohol!

Daily cases are dropping in most states. Just 30 in Victoria. Very encouraging but community transmission is the biggest threat from here, and that is still going up.

My wild guess - we will get games in this season, August - December, but with no crowds.
Annoyingly, our number of tests per capita in Vic is half of that in NSW. Why is this? Yet we're copping the toughest restrictions in the country too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back