Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outdoor gathering restrictions might be be eased, but not by much. Indoor gatherings, including working in offices, will still be restricted. Not much will change by the end of May I don't think.

Can you elaborate please?
Depends where you are. Here in WA, the rate is quite low. I’m still in my office. If things continue to progress well, I can see people starting to creep back into offices while maintaining social distancing over the next few months.

Depends where you are. Here in WA, the rate is quite low. I’m still in my office. If things continue to progress well, I can see people starting to creep back into offices while maintaining social distancing over the next few months.

Yeah that is true. States will definitely be going down different paths.

If things continue to go well, I can see gathering restrictions being eased by the end of the month and some businesses being allowed to reopen at the end of May with restrictions on numbers inside. But I don’t think there’s any way in hell crowds will be attending games this year, no matter how late the season runs.
A crowd of 45k at a soccer game was a major reason in the virus ripping Italy apart.

Now imagine a handful of asymptomatic, infected people attend the AFL Grand Final or the Boxing Day test, where you get crowds of 90-100,000.

I agree, no chance in hell of crowds at sports this year. Even 2021 is unlikely

A crowd of 45k at a soccer game was a major reason in the virus ripping Italy apart.

Now imagine a handful of asymptomatic, infected people attend the AFL Grand Final or the Boxing Day test, where you get crowds of 90-100,000.

I'm wondering how many AFL and NRL players tested positive since playing the initial rounds.

Pretty sure there was a NRL game with 22k.

Isn't our infection rate still being influenced by the cases being transferred from foreign based ships?
Outdoor gathering restrictions might be be eased, but not by much. Indoor gatherings, including working in offices, will still be restricted. Not much will change by the end of May I don't think.

Can you elaborate please?

From the limited data I can gather for community transmission or unknown source, those numbers for VIC and NSW are doubling every week. That's exponential growth and if we leave it as it is it will only go up.

My guess is the government/s will either bring new measures some time in the next couple of weeks to slow those CT increases or if there is a sudden large outbreak.

Been on this ABC webpage?

Screenshot_20200410-213908_Samsung Internet.jpg

If we use the same growth factor formula for just CT/unknown cases only, then NSW currently has a growth factor 0.92, while VIC has a growth factor of 1.11 in community transmission.

I'm keen to just look at CT just from now on as imported cases don't mean anything anymore now that the borders are closed. It just noise in forecast data that shouldn't be incorporated.

Anecdotally I'm still seeing large groups and lines of people, PT is still available and I've seen a lot of traffic on the roads. Where are all these people going?

I could be wrong but I until I see CT stop, I don't see how it won't continue to grow.

Also bear in mind we don't test asymptomatic cases so there could be a large number walking around undetected or at the very least a large cluster ready to explode.

From the limited data I can gather for community transmission or unknown source, those numbers for VIC and NSW are doubling every week. That's exponential growth and if we leave it as it is it will only go up.

How many community transmissions have there been in Victoria? I read today 160 health workers in Victoria have been infected, that's a lot of community transmission right there in the hospital, looking after the infected. This is expected and these workers are likely to be taking extra precautions not to pass it on to the general community.

My guess is the government/s will either bring new measures some time in the next couple of weeks to slow those CT increases or if there is a sudden large outbreak.

Been on this ABC webpage?

View attachment 855791

If we use the same growth factor formula for just CT/unknown cases only, then NSW currently has a growth factor 0.92, while VIC has a growth factor of 1.11 in community transmission.

I'm keen to just look at CT just from now on as imported cases don't mean anything anymore now that the borders are closed. It just noise in forecast data that shouldn't be incorporated.

Anecdotally I'm still seeing large groups and lines of people, PT is still available and I've seen a lot of traffic on the roads. Where are all these people going?

I could be wrong but I until I see CT stop, I don't see how it won't continue to grow.

Also bear in mind we don't test asymptomatic cases so there could be a large number walking around undetected or at the very least a large cluster ready to explode.
Of course CT is the unknown but if we continue to self isolate for another couple of weeks then these cases will become easier to trace.

Everyone talks about racism against China. Guess who is the most racist? The CCP.

In December Taiwan warned the WHO of the outbreak but the WHO doesn't recognize their sovereignty. That seems to be racist by the WHO.

Racism from the CCP is nothing new. For years foreigners in China had to pay more in some areas for official services like bus tickets, simply for looking like a foreigner. You reckon you'd be able to migrate there and become Chinese? Not on your life. Their reason … "we're not an immigrant country".

Taiwanese in not a race. As a "race", they are overwhelmingly Han Chinese. Don't be ignorant.

The UN don't recognize Taiwan's sovereignty. Australia doesn't. The US don't. Europe doesn't. Even the Taiwan government doesn't, depending on which is the ruling part at the time. It's a complex issue with a complex history, deserving of more respect than your oversimlification.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many community transmissions have there been in Victoria? I read today 160 health workers in Victoria have been infected, that's a lot of community transmission right there in the hospital, looking after the infected. This is expected and these workers are likely to be taking extra precautions not to pass it on to the general community.

Where did you read that? Apparently VIC has 116 CT/unknown cases I guess some would diagnose and recover.

This site: https://www.covidlive.com.au/

Never says if Tas had CT cases yet on would assume a lot the new 11 cases would be local transmission.

Maybe if one person was from overseas and infected the hospital they all go under international acquired case, does anyone know this?

Where did you read that? Apparently VIC has 116 CT/unknown cases I guess some would diagnose and recover.

This site: https://www.covidlive.com.au/

Never says if Tas had CT cases yet on would assume a lot the new 11 cases would be local transmission.

Maybe if one person was from overseas and infected the hospital they all go under international acquired case, does anyone know this?

I guess transmission from known sufferer to health care workers at the hospital doesn't count as CT.

Racism from the CCP is nothing new. For years foreigners in China had to pay more in some areas for official services like bus tickets, simply for looking like a foreigner. You reckon you'd be able to migrate there and become Chinese? Not on your life. Their reason … "we're not an immigrant country".

Taiwanese in not a race. As a "race", they are overwhelmingly Han Chinese. Don't be ignorant.

The UN don't recognize Taiwan's sovereignty. Australia doesn't. The US don't. Europe doesn't. Even the Taiwan government doesn't, depending on which is the ruling part at the time. It's a complex issue with a complex history, deserving of more respect than your oversimlification.

Can you define "race"?

Also whether we are possibly playing this semantics game with you again, it's the Taiwanese that were accused of racism against China yet according to you they are the same race?

Either way it's predominately the WHO and the CCP who willfully, recklessly and fatally discriminates.

Also whether we are possibly playing this semantics game with you again, it's the Taiwanese that were accused of racism against China yet according to you they are the same race?

It's not according to me. If you don't know this that's one thing, but don't insist on being willfully ignorant. Go read, learn or speak to someone from China or Taiwan and have them explain it to you. They are of the same "race" if you subscribe to "race" being a thing.

You'll have to provide evidence of this accusation of Taiwanese being racist to Chinese. That's so stupid I don't take your word for it. Would be flabbergasted if true. The only thing I've seen is accusations of racism from Taiwanese towards Tedros.

I’m not sure winter would have drastically altered it for us, it makes it slightly easier for the virus to survive and spread, but we tend to stay home more*.

Most of the highly impacted locations are more densely populated and have higher levels of public transport use.

Our heavy reliance on roads with private cars, and fairly generous living space, along with strong separation between cities and easily controlled borders means we have huge advantages over most countries for something like that.

I’d imagine current restrictions will stay until the end of the month as they’ll want to see any post-Easter impacts which has a two week lag.

May might see some lessening of restrictions, but I’d think we’re unlikely to see crowds at the football, cinemas, foodcourts, and bars for quite some time yet.

*AFL and NRL crowds being the major risks of winter.

There will be some slight changes in restrictions but I don't think there will be much change until September.

Nor would you expect to.

Spending 6 million dollars on an 80 year old takes away 6 million dollars that could have been spent on leukemia treatment for an 8 year old or 6 million dollars on mental health initiatives for under 30s.

If I ever reach the ripe old age of 80 no way would I expect the public health system to cough up 6 Million just to keep me chugging along for another year or two.

If you expect that level of service then you really should have private health care.

Life isn't as precious as it's always made out to be.

I think deep down we all know this but this pandemic has forced us to confront things we would normally never would.

Life isn't as precious as it's always made out to be.

I think deep down we all know this but this pandemic has forced us to confront things we would normally never would.

Think we already have - if life was sacrosanct at all costs no matter what we would be in the middle of a six week total lockdown by now. As it is, we've accepted elimination any time soon is not possible and the goal is to flatten the curve so that no one dies of COVID-19 because of lack of access to medical treatment.

Indonesia still reporting that it has about half the number of cases as Australia.

Belgium has reported almost the same number of deaths as the whole of China despite having a population of only 11 million and China having a population of 1.4 billion. Seems plausible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Indonesians are testing nowhere near enough and I'd say what I really think about the Chinese figures but some interpret it as a racist attack.

I know what you were about to say, and I agree, never trust a Belgian. They are a terrible backwards thinking close minded culture that are not to be trusted. I much prefer China’s figures as they have proven to be extremely reliable and transparent throughout this whole process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back