Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes no doubt about that at all

No evidence and completely incompatible with the fact that we are now returning 1 or 2 positive tests per thousand ....

...but yeah nah no doubt at all

What about in Feb and early March when they didn’t have a testing regime? My cousin went to a hospital in early March with COVID-like symptoms, but was told because she was young and otherwise healthy, they wouldn’t waste a test on her. They told her to self-isolate and she did. How many thousands of others were told to do this?
This is a virus in which 50% of people don’t show symptoms. Many of those would have been missed.. then there are kids, who are the group that have been tested far less (for obvious reasons), but are likely to have been the most exposed (with school, childcare, etc)
It’s fairly obvious the 7,000 is an underestimate.

They are thinking of opening up community sports? That would be great for mental health, but wouldn’t that be a huge risk for community transmissions if you had local footy and netball open up? They should allow camping and hiking with social distancing.

They are thinking of opening up community sports? That would be great for mental health, but wouldn’t that be a huge risk for community transmissions if you had local footy and netball open up? They should allow camping and hiking with social distancing.
Link?

new york don't have a clue how many have it. go by australian stats thank you.

Australia have found a very high rate of asymptotic cases, which shows our testing is relatively accurate.
Australia have a death rate of close to 1%, despite all cases getting the best possible treatment.

what, prove for a start these people who died, died from covid or with covid, they cant and they wont.

NY just add people they think died from covid even without a positive test

its a bit of a joke quite frankly

when you have a pandemic that doesn't kill kids, young people or even middle aged people or even healthy old people but only un healthy old people - i am not calling that a pandemic thanks.

What about in Feb and early March when they didn’t have a testing regime? My cousin went to a hospital in early March with COVID-like symptoms, but was told because she was young and otherwise healthy, they wouldn’t waste a test on her. They told her to self-isolate and she did. How many thousands of others were told to do this?
This is a virus in which 50% of people don’t show symptoms. Many of those would have been missed.. then there are kids, who are the group that have been tested far less (for obvious reasons), but are likely to have been the most exposed (with school, childcare, etc)
It’s fairly obvious the 7,000 is an underestimate.

What are you suggesting with your anecdote about your cousin? That she must have had Coronavirus? So she was told to self -isolate. This doesn't increase the likelihood of her actually having it. The fact is, the vast majority of subjects with Covid-like symptoms do NOT have Coronavirus. That's what the testing demonstrates. Over 480,000 tests in this country have returned a positive rate of 1.4%.

TESTS
Total Tests Conducted
STATETESTSDELNETPOSITIVE %
New South Wales188,4167,3521.6%
Victoria96,0003,0001.4%
Queensland94,9772,2781.1%
Western Australia33,1389881.7%
South Australia50,3961,6690.9%
Tasmania7,8832702.6%
ACT7,441741.4%
Northern Territory4,120750.7%
Australia482,37115,7061.4%

Considering that the parameters for even getting a test were until recently very tight and that the sample size is now considerably large, your claim that "many" cases have been missed doesn't stack up with the statistical data.

And where do you get your 50% asymptomatic figure?

And of course the current figure of 6689 cases (not 7000) won't be absolutely accurate.

There are still people who have it (or will get it) that are not included in the count yet.

That's WHY we are continuing to test and at an increased rate. The fact that positives are diminishing over time suggests strongly that that the data we have is reasonably accurate.

Trump really f’ed up over the injecting dettol comment it will cost him dearly in the long run.

What’s truly eye opening is the pall of fear he’s cast over the public service, with the head of the FDA unwilling to outright can the suggestion as dangerous when interviewed on tv, instead opting to say it’s a discussion people should have with their doctor.

By the end of this month, it’s estimated that 30% of the Stockholm region will have had it. I read somewhere that that figure will have risen to around 60% by the end of May. There’s a lot of theories around immunity and antibodies, but conventional opinion is that having had it, The vast majority won’t be able to get it again for a while.
It’s all estimates though coming from people with a vested interest in their theories being correct.

There is no history or text book on this so I think it’s good to try different methods in different countries to come up with a solution faster.

Australia should also be doing this in different states so if one state get’s hammered, others can help while the vast majority get the safer plan A option. Don’t risk everyone, but maybe a quicker opening in low risk places can be trialed first.

People are quick to look to criticise Sweden but their per million capita in death is less than a lot of countries, in fact looking at many of the countries in full lockdown they are tracking better.

Belgium
UK
Italy
Spain
France
Netherlands

In fact, one could argue they are better prepared should a 2nd wave hit as they have an estimated 15-20% of the population who are immune.

The epidemiologist added:

“Lockdowns, closing of border … Nothing has a historical scientific basis, in my view. We have looked at a number of EU countries to see whether they published any analysis of the effects of these measures before they started, and we saw almost none.”
He told the BBC Sweden’s strategy meant it was better placed to face a second wave of the outbreak, because scientists estimated between 15% and 20% of the population were now immune – enough to slow and control the spread of the disease further.
The strategy had worked in the sense that its aim had been to slow the progression of the disease so the country’s healthcare system did not become overwhelmed, he said. Sweden’s relatively high death toll was because “as many as 50% of deaths had come in care homes for the elderly, which have banned visitors” so it was “hard to know how a lockdown would have stopped that”.

Also, there is a common thought from Roby (who uses the skill set of one of his 7 phds) that there are long term cardiovascular, neural and physical ailments that proceed the virus so as you say, the true measure of ones strategy cannot be assessed for a good decade from now.
I question the basic assumption that you can become "immune". Who says you can? I'm told the common cold is a coronavirus. Do you know anyone who's developed immunity to the common cold? What about infuenza? There are many, many mutaions of influenza (though i know it's not a coronavirus). Anyone immune to every strain?

There are multiple mutations of Covid-19 already. Get one, you might have a short-term immunity to that particular strain because of the existing anitbodies. But there are lots of cases of people being re-infected. If it mutates, you have no immunity.

new york don't have a clue how many have it. go by australian stats thank you.

Australia have found a very high rate of asymptotic cases, which shows our testing is relatively accurate.
Australia have a death rate of close to 1%, despite all cases getting the best possible treatment.
What, exactly, have the Australian statistics proven about the nos & % of asymptomatic cases?

For every one person in Australia who is known to have covid-19 (proven by tests) & has symptoms, how many have covid-19 (proven by a test), yet have no symptoms?

Is Australia doing much testing for covid-19 for people who have no symptoms- details please.

2. Not much detailed information has been provided re the adverse mental health effects etc. of covid-19. From Italy's experience, they are, apparently, severe.

"Italy's lockdown is the strictest & longest in the world. Italy (ie Italian culture- my words) doesn't talk a lot about mental health. There is no national system (govt. funded- my words) in place to help people".

3. "China has rejected calls for an independent international investigation into the origins of the virus... Information about the origins of covid-19 & how it intially spread could help countries tackle the disease...Wen (Chinese diplomat in the UK)...told the BBC the demands were politically motivated...".

"Govts. in Europe so far have been wary of engaging in a diplomatic row with China. One UK official...said there was nervousness...countries are dependent on Beijing for deliveries of vital equipment in dealing with the virus".

An EU Report "claims Chinese officials & state media have been trying to deflect blame for the outbreak...".

The CCP is rejecting the rising international demands for an independent investigation into the origins of covid-19 for the obvious reasons- maybe it wasn't caused by a US military biological weapon introduced into Wuhan!

AFAIK, WHO has not commented publicly on these demands. It will be "wedged", since its primary purpose is to understand epidemics, & prevent them spreading

Last edited:
I'm at a near zero risk of death but I sure as f*** don't want to be the one responsible for passing it onto my mother with a compromised immune system.

Have you got that point?

well then every year you should self isolate when the flu comes around, because that bumps off a stack of oldies and possibly/probably more youngies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s all estimates though coming from people with a vested interest in their theories being correct.

There is no history or text book on this so I think it’s good to try different methods in different countries to come up with a solution faster.

Australia should also be doing this in different states so if one state get’s hammered, others can help while the vast majority get the safer plan A option. Don’t risk everyone, but maybe a quicker opening in low risk places can be trialed first.

This does make a lot of sense.

NT has only 8 Actives remaining of its 28 original cases with 22 Recoveries

None of those 28 cases were classified as "Community" infections.

None of the remaining Actives are on Ventilators or even in ICU.

There hasn't been a new Infection in the Territory since 5 April, or nearly 3 weeks ago.

Provided they don't allow cross-border traffic for the time being, NT seems like a prime candidate to have restrictions significantly relaxed, if not lifted entirely.

well then every year you should self isolate when the flu comes around, because that bumps off a stack of oldies and possibly/probably more youngies

My mother can get vaccinated for the flu, is less likely to die if she gets the flu than COVID-19, and it's less contagious too.

Any other response from this point on is wasted on you.

Seriously though, does everyone realise that Trump has the launch codes for the ICBM's?

There is a few caveats to that don't stress.

Not to mention

Sweden = 17567 cases (1739 cases/ 1M pop)
Australia = 6675 cases (262 cases/ 1M pop)

Sweden's laissez-faire approach looks pretty sick compared to ours

Who would've thought that closing borders (including state borders) early, large parts of the economy and social distancing would've decrease the number of cases.

Yet some on here reckon he is doing a great job. Hahaha.
Then say anyone who is anti Trump need to get over themselves.
The bloke is an imbecile.
Trump caters too the lowest common denominator.
He is divisive and destructive, not a uniter and builder Which what leaders need to be.

He appeals to tige19. I mentioned "disinfefctantgate" yesterday but he willfully ignored it.

Have a look and listen to him here.

Blatant lie in front of everyone. How can anyone trust him begs the question. If he had just said that I ****ed up and got that wrong maybe he would've got some points. That's like asking a sociopath to have empathy.

Perhaps strict and enforceable state wide lock downs are not the best way to manage the virus after mid May

Stay home.

What do u do with all the age care workers, cooks, cleaners, doctors , nurses, gardebers or anyone who looks after or visits an age care home? Let them get sick? Move them and their families to lockdown?

You asking intelligent question that are too broad for the said poster to contemplate.

Oh, so now he was just being sarcastic

Thousands dying in the States nearly every day but Buffoon-man uses his press conferences to make "sarcastic" jokes.

Don't insult buffoons.

I provided an NIH archived study from Edinburgh University showing Influenza fatality % at comparable rates to Covid19 in many countries, in fact some were higher. It was dismissed by people here 😂😂

Dr Tige you have said multiple as early as yesterday that this is just as bad as another seasonal flu. A broken clock is wrong twice a day, you've been remarkably wrong every time.

This is a virus in which 50% of people don’t show symptoms.

You're just making stuff up.

I question the basic assumption that you can become "immune". Who says you can? I'm told the common cold is a coronavirus. Do you know anyone who's developed immunity to the common cold? What about infuenza? There are many, many mutaions of influenza (though i know it's not a coronavirus). Anyone immune to every strain?

There are multiple mutations of Covid-19 already. Get one, you might have a short-term immunity to that particular strain because of the existing anitbodies. But there are lots of cases of people being re-infected. If it mutates, you have no immunity.

That medical response is going to be lost and met with insults for a couple of weeks. Hachoo!

At least Essendon and Collingwood players can relax today, they don't have to go to 'war' today........always cringeworthy when a footy game was compared to war on Anzac Day.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Now that we've experience not only this pandemic, but the selfishness of the players and their ignorance and superlatives used to champion the players will be rightly ridiculed. Not sure how you can say with a straight face that they are "brave" compared to health workers.

My mother can get vaccinated for the flu, is less likely to die if she gets the flu than COVID-19, and it's less contagious too.

Any other response from this point on is wasted on you.

well lets hope they get it right, it appears they got it wrong in the UK a couple of years ago and it cost 50,000 lives, yes that's right 50,000 lives with the wrong flu vaccination.

what we do know is that covid rates of death are remarkably similar to flu rates of death according to recent studies and at younger age levels flu mortality rate may be worse

maybe you should just self isolate in the expectation that authorities get it wrong!

And to think that the US voters might give the Fat Boy a 2nd term tells you all you need to know about the US education system.

The idiots follower will still vote for him but there would be a percentage that won't. Those rallies outside were not as big as everyone thinks. Some Trump supporters have had to eat their words, bite their lip and had to stay inside out of sheer necessity. With the situation getting worse than predicted just recently and with not mitigation measures of a second wave, he will lose more supporters.

That's not counting that those that didn't vote last year may feel compelled to vote this time around against Trump.

There is a few caveats to that don't stress.

Who would've thought that closing borders (including state borders) early, large parts of the economy and social distancing would've decrease the number of cases.

He appeals to tige19. I mentioned "disinfefctantgate" yesterday but he willfully ignored it.

Have a look and listen to him here.

Blatant lie in front of everyone. How can anyone trust him begs the question. If he had just said that I f’ed up and got that wrong maybe he would've got some points. That's like asking a sociopath to have empathy.

Stay home.

You asking intelligent question that are too broad for the said poster to contemplate.

Don't insult buffoons.

Dr Tige you have said multiple as early as yesterday that this is just as bad as another seasonal flu. A broken clock is wrong twice a day, you've been remarkably wrong every time.

You're just making stuff up.

No doubt in my mind that the Fat Boy is the dumbest president the US has ever had.
You would despair at the intelligence levels of the US public if he's voted in again for a 2nd term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back