Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part Three.

Part One can be found here -

Part Two can be found here -

Part 4 can be found here:

Australian stats page:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
So let me get this right.

The AFL is a national competition with teams across the country. We are currently still in the middle of a global pandemic that is infecting millions and killings thousands. In Australia we have controlled the outbreak of the virus fairly well, with relatively small numbers of infections and deaths. Two states have been the worst affected, being the largest population bases of Vic and NSW.

We have reduced infections to almost zero across most states and the only remaining state with outbreaks is Victoria.

So with the AFL set to return, border restrictions are limiting player movement leading to a need to look at hubs, noting all games will be played without crowds.

SA and WA seem ideal places for these hubs given that the virus is almost non-existent in those States.

The AFL has considered all of the options and is increasingly likely to establish a hub in Victoria, the State with the worst virus pandemic conditions.

You seriously couldn't write this type of BS. Seriously AFL House, WTF!!

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
So 10000 deaths is ok but 20000 isn't?
It's hypocritical to put up these graphs showing the increase in deaths and arguing in favour of action so extreme as to destroy economies and jobs for a virus and accept the existing death rate for another virus.

There is another study estimating up to 750 suicides out of the impact of this corona virus on people's lives...7 times the current death toll of the corona virus...but that's ok isn't it?

Link the study. I call bullshit on its credibility.

May 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
In Australia we were going to have a Grand Prix in March, right up until the day of the race; and people were still calling it a bad flu. In the UK they were talking about herd immunity in March. In the US Trump has repeated many times with only a handful of cases, what was there for him to do all through February. In all those countries wearing masks was discouraged and people weren't distancing.
IMO the Chinese government is abhorrent in so many ways but it really baffles me how those who keep accusing you of being a CCP supporter think that anything would be different if they had been upfront about human transmission at the start of January. Health experts were telling western governments that this was a problem at the end of January and all we did collectively was ignore their warnings until the NBA suspended their season in March, only then did everyone suddenly start paying attention. If we all knew about the human transmission in mid-January all that would have changed is that we did nothing for two months instead of for six weeks.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
So let me get this right.

The AFL is a national competition with teams across the country. We are currently still in the middle of a global pandemic that is infecting millions and killings thousands. In Australia we have controlled the outbreak of the virus fairly well, with relatively small numbers of infections and deaths. Two states have been the worst affected, being the largest population bases of Vic and NSW.

We have reduced infections to almost zero across most states and the only remaining state with outbreaks is Victoria.

So with the AFL set to return, border restrictions are limiting player movement leading to a need to look at hubs, noting all games will be played without crowds.

SA and WA seem ideal places for these hubs given that the virus is almost non-existent in those States.

The AFL has considered all of the options and is increasingly likely to establish a hub in Victoria, the State with the worst virus pandemic conditions.

You seriously couldn't write this type of BS. Seriously AFL House, WTF!!

There are more teams in Victoria so it makes sense to have a hub there as less teams will need to be relocated and there are no border restrictions so teams can fly in and fly out of there without needing to quarantine, something that can't be done in WA and SA. Victoria may have more cases but that shouldn't matter if teams are isolated in hubs.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Taiwan being so close to China had a better idea of what was really going on with the virus than other Western countries that are much further away so of course they were better prepared for it, they knew there was H2H transmission in late December which gave them a head start on every other country.

You can argue that China and the WHO delaying the announcement of H2H transmission for another 3 weeks would have made no difference to how other countries reacted to it but it still doesn't excuse it and had Wuhan been locked down earlier it would have at least prevented some of the spread worldwide.

There are flaws throughout this post. Firstly, Taiwan's proximity to this virus had not much to do with their preparedness for it specifically, more so their proximity and exposure to SARS years earlier, which gave them proper perspective in taking epidemics seriously and being well prepared.

Secondly, Taiwan didn't "know" anything about H2H transmission. Here is the email transcript of what they sent to the WHO "News resources today indicate that at least seven atypical pneumonia cases were reported in Wuhan, CHINA. Their health authorities replied to the media that the cases were believed not SARS; however the samples are still under examination, and cases have been isolated for treatment. I would greatly appreciate it if you have relevant information to share with us. Thank you very much in advance for your attention to this matter". You've been hoodwinked by political and media exaggeration.

The dates don't lie. Taiwan and the US didn't have a single confirmed case of covid when H2H transmission was announced. And the seriousness of the situation was not lost when China locked down Wuhan on Jan 23, then their whole country by the end of January. I don't know how anyone can claim with a straight face that places like Australia, the US or UK didn't have enough forewarning; consider what I outlined in my last post re what those countries were doing over a month after this. The dates don't lie.

I don't excuse the CCP for their actions. And I've posted before, they can't be allowed to be a player and beneficiary of a global economy and then try to hide and control the emergence of virus that threatens the global community. But I'm just repeating myself when I say render unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar. If you try to blame them for outcomes that are clearly the result of other variables, you're just undermining holding them to account for what they should be held to account for. It's emotional clap trap.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, groups of 10 will be in place until June 8, in line with Stage 2.

I would be very surprised if our borders are not open by July in line with the Federal recommendations for Stage 3, so can only see our clubs having to play outside the state for the first two rounds upon resumption.
******* comments by the SA Government there are laughable "public health risk" give me a break

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The MCG with 5000 fans would be dire to be honest. Hardly an experience players dream of.

Also have to consider the trains as well, they are plague factories at the best of times in winter.

I'd be fine with them just playing in empty stadiums for the year.
6 million a day on subway in some cities in China. Haven’t had a new case for weeks in a few of these cities. Get off the train and up the escalator and it’s jammed like sardines. Everyone has mask on. I think crowds can be let in over time at the football. Once people become more comfortable down there.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
What would you prefer - 100 deaths due to coronavirus and 750 suicide deaths related to the reaction to coronavirus, or 0 suicide deaths and 10000 coronavirus deaths?
Lets just ignore the fact that 10000 coronavirus deaths would itself be stressful for vulnerable people.

So the real equation is, 100 deaths due to Coronavirus, and 750 suicides related to the reaction to coronavirus, or 750 suicides related to the human toll of coronavirus + 10000 coronavirus deaths.

This is not related to concern for peoples mental health, this is people annoyed at being inconvenienced, trying to find an argument that sounds better than, 10000 people should be allowed to die because the measures to prevent it annoy me.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Taiwan being so close to China had a better idea of what was really going on with the virus than other Western countries that are much further away so of course they were better prepared for it, they knew there was H2H transmission in late December which gave them a head start on every other country.

You can argue that China and the WHO delaying the announcement of H2H transmission for another 3 weeks would have made no difference to how other countries reacted to it but it still doesn't excuse it and had Wuhan been locked down earlier it would have at least prevented some of the spread worldwide.
Why, in the modern world, does proximity matter?

The US embassy couldn't send a telegram?

You know the US had a 200 million dollar program, called Predict, designed to monitor emerging viruses, predominantly in Asia?
It had identified 160 Coronaviruses considered to be capable of causing a pandemic, including the closest known relative to covid 19.

Trump shut it down in September.

Could it be that the reason Taiwan knew so much better, is that they wanted to know, and paid attention, not geographical proximity.

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
There are more teams in Victoria so it makes sense to have a hub there as less teams will need to be relocated and there are no border restrictions so teams can fly in and fly out of there without needing to quarantine, something that can't be done in WA and SA. Victoria may have more cases but that shouldn't matter if teams are isolated in hubs.
There will hardly any fly in and fly out as the only places that they can fly to without needing to go into quarantine is BSW and Qld, and that's only as long as Vic cases don't go up, if they do NSW and Qld may enforce quarantine.

So quite easily the whole league could be in a Vic hub. So then it comes back to the argument, why should done clubs be forced to relocate and others aren't.

The obvious solution, every clubs needs to replicate at dime point to hubs in SA, WA, Qld and Vic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Why, in the modern world, does proximity matter?

The US embassy couldn't send a telegram?

You know the US had a 200 million dollar program, called Predict, designed to monitor emerging viruses, predominantly in Asia?
It had identified 160 Coronaviruses considered to be capable of causing a pandemic, including the closest known relative to covid 19.

Trump shut it down in September.

Could it be that the reason Taiwan knew so much better, is that they wanted to know, and paid attention, not geographical proximity.

Of course geographical proximity would have played a part in why Taiwan were more aware and more prepared, being close to China they would be more aware of what was happening there just like we would be more aware of what was happening in New Zealand than Asian countries would be.

Also Taiwan had experience with SARS which also originated in China because they are right on their doorstep, likewise South Korea, while we didn't because we are further away. Taiwan knew that any other viruses like SARS that originated in China would affect them so they needed to be more prepared for it, we weren't as prepared as we hadn't really been affected by viruses from China before due to being so far away.

Australia and other Western countries were complacent early on as they thought this would be similar to SARS and only affect China and it's neighbours, it's not until it started to affect Western countries like Italy, Spain and the US that we started to realise how serious this was and that it would affect the whole world.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Of course geographical proximity would have played a part in why Taiwan were more aware and more prepared, being close to China they would be more aware of what was happening there just like we would be more aware of what was happening in New Zealand than Asian countries would be.

Also Taiwan had experience with SARS which also originated in China because they are right on their doorstep, likewise South Korea, while we didn't because we are further away. Taiwan knew that any other viruses like SARS that originated in China would affect them so they needed to be more prepared for it, we weren't as prepared as we hadn't really been affected by viruses from China before due to being so far away.

Australia and other Western countries were complacent early on as they thought this would be similar to SARS and only affect China and it's neighbours, it's not until it started to affect Western countries like Italy, Spain and the US that we started to realise how serious this was and that it would affect the whole world.
People in Australia are far more aware of whats going on in New Zealand than people in the US. Lets face it, most people in the US would struggle to find it on a map. But thats not the case for Governments. Governments are dictated to by importance, not distance. Importance or significance of a country is influenced by distance. New Zealand would not be important to us if it was next to the UK in the Atlantic, but it isnt just distance that counts.

I would bet the US has more ears, eyes and attention on China than it does Mexico, despite the latter's closeness.

China is important to the US, and it pays close attention to what goes on there.

People in the US do not have much of a clue about China, not compared to the people of Taiwan, but I would be staggered if the US government did not know at least as much as the Taiwan government. And if Taiwan did know something in the morning that the US government did not, the US would know before lunch time.

Or are you suggesting that Taiwan knew what was going on in China, but didn't tell anyone else?

I am convinced Taiwan knew nothing the US did not, its only how they reacted that is different.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Frankfurt to doha flight had 19 people on it. The plane was empty except for our little encampent up the back. It was very weird.
The Doha to Melbourne flight was at least 2/3 full with a few hundred peeps. I reckon Qatar airways is making a smart play by burning cash to get loyal customers. They gave us all a $100usd travel voucher at the end to "thank us for our confidence", and the price of the flight wasn't too exorbitant - about normal considering i bought the ticket only 2 days prior. As the only option available, they could have skinned me alive but didn't.

The security staff at Tulla handled things very well, i must say. It was nice to be able to crack a joke with the administrators (riskier in germany). All the bureaucracy took mabye 45min and they had us straight on a bus to the hotels. Cops everywhere, someone at some stage must have attempted a runner.
The hotel is nice enough. There's a guard outside, can't see anyone, windows don't open. We can schedule a 'fresh air break' once per week.
But can't complain really, it's nice to have a bed after 6 weeks of couchsurfing and it's nicer than my march quarantine! I'll have my first test this morning, which I expect will be fine.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
There are flaws throughout this post. Firstly, Taiwan's proximity to this virus had not much to do with their preparedness for it specifically, more so their proximity and exposure to SARS years earlier, which gave them proper perspective in taking epidemics seriously and being well prepared.
It was tha glass jaw of the CCP bullies that banned travel to Taiwan for spurious political reasoins that save Taiwan to some extent. Taiwan like HK and others had SARS experience to help greatly - the population had the benifit of a preseason.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Frankfurt to doha flight had 19 people on it. The plane was empty except for our little encampent up the back. It was very weird.
The Doha to Melbourne flight was at least 2/3 full with a few hundred peeps. I reckon Qatar airways is making a smart play by burning cash to get loyal customers. They gave us all a $100usd travel voucher at the end to "thank us for our confidence", and the price of the flight wasn't too exorbitant - about normal considering i bought the ticket only 2 days prior. As the only option available, they could have skinned me alive but didn't.

The security staff at Tulla handled things very well, i must say. It was nice to be able to crack a joke with the administrators (riskier in germany). All the bureaucracy took mabye 45min and they had us straight on a bus to the hotels. Cops everywhere, someone at some stage must have attempted a runner.
The hotel is nice enough. There's a guard outside, can't see anyone, windows don't open. We can schedule a 'fresh air break' once per week.
But can't complain really, it's nice to have a bed after 6 weeks of couchsurfing and it's nicer than my march quarantine! I'll have my first test this morning, which I expect will be fine.

Jesus that’s a fair process mate, glad you are all good.

My poor barbers father died in Barbados 2 weeks back, he is still waiting for him to arrive back in the UK so he can go and send him off and organise his funeral. He then needs to come back home and isolate at a hotel, absolute nightmare situation for him. He said that the UK don’t enforce isolation upon arrival which is odd.

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
Matthew Pavlich mentioned it on Ch9 news here,
Pavlich is hopeless at giving an opinion, the wood duck just says what he thinks will be popular. His reasoning last night was laughable, ‘it will be warmer’ while glossing over the real issues.

In Australia we were going to have a Grand Prix in March, right up until the day of the race;
And let’s not forget Morrison was going to the nrl because corona was having the weekend off.

AFL will be scrambling again today. Next we will be reading how the vic based players are embracing the move to hubs. You know things like ’the weather is warmer’ wins hands down.

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Secondly, Taiwan didn't "know" anything about H2H transmission. Here is the email transcript of what they sent to the WHO "News resources today indicate that at least seven atypical pneumonia cases were reported in Wuhan, CHINA. Their health authorities replied to the media that the cases were believed not SARS; however the samples are still under examination, and cases have been isolated for treatment. I would greatly appreciate it if you have relevant information to share with us. Thank you very much in advance for your attention to this matter". You've been hoodwinked by political and media exaggeration.

The dates don't lie. Taiwan and the US didn't have a single confirmed case of covid when H2H transmission was announced. And the seriousness of the situation was not lost when China locked down Wuhan on Jan 23, then their whole country by the end of January. I don't know how anyone can claim with a straight face that places like Australia, the US or UK didn't have enough forewarning; consider what I outlined in my last post re what those countries were doing over a month after this. The dates don't lie.

I don't excuse the CCP for their actions. And I've posted before, they can't be allowed to be a player and beneficiary of a global economy and then try to hide and control the emergence of virus that threatens the global community. But I'm just repeating myself when I say render unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar. If you try to blame them for outcomes that are clearly the result of other variables, you're just undermining holding them to account for what they should be held to account for. It's emotional clap trap.
I don’t know if this is common knowledge, but it helps when your Vice President is also a qualified epidemiologist.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is not a power the government should be allowed to have over people.

"In South Australia, at Step 1 until 8 June, allows non-contact training in groups of up to 10."

I don't understand why they wouldn't allow special clearance to elite sporting codes. They will be placed under far more health measures than the general public and are all getting tested by the end of the week. This "we are all in it together" is rubbish, elite people in their field are always given special treatment. That's how the world works.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Pavlich is hopeless at giving an opinion, the wood duck just says what he thinks will be popular. His reasoning last night was laughable, ‘it will be warmer’ while glossing over the real issues.

And let’s not forget Morrison was going to the nrl because corona was having the weekend off.

AFL will be scrambling again today. Next we will be reading how the vic based players are embracing the move to hubs. You know things like ’the weather is warmer’ wins hands down.
He was going because at that time the medical advice was that spectators were allowed.

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
After telling everyone how dire the situation was looking and that these restrictions would begin on Monday. Whatever floats your boat. Lucky for him you are not on his advisory team.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
1589411158136.png

1589411426739.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back