Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part Three.

Part One can be found here -

Part Two can be found here -

Part 4 can be found here:

Australian stats page:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's this weird belief that because its "just footy" that its an insult to everyone not able to work. When you consider the impact of industries built around professional sport, 10s of thousands of jobs would rely on the AFL being played.

Would people object to movie or tv stars flying interstate for filming, its just entertainment after all...

Shits me no end
The more industries up and running and getting on with things, the better.

There's this weird belief that because its "just footy" that its an insult to everyone not able to work. When you consider the impact of industries built around professional sport, 10s of thousands of jobs would rely on the AFL being played.

Would people object to movie or tv stars flying interstate for filming, its just entertainment after all...

Shits me no end

Its no small thing.

...not sure if I'm all that sympathetic to the Mornington Peninsula region RE: COVID considering it was one of the original hotspot LGA's back in March and housed many people who simply refused to self-isolate even after they tested positive.

So everyone who lives there came back from Aspen! That is a stupid comment.

The Mornington Peninsula LGA has still had more confirmed COVID cases than many other LGA's that are currently locked down (including Yarra, Frankston, Hobsons Bay, Bayside, Whitehorse, Greater Dandenong, Yarra Ranges & Knox). You don't hear people from those LGA's come out & complain (both in the media & on BigFooty) complaining about lockdown restrictions.

But thank-you for demonstrating how arrogant and entitled people from the Peninsula are--- no wonder your neighbours were a major cause of the first Victorian spike.

The Mornington Peninsula LGA has still had more confirmed COVID cases than many other LGA's that are currently locked down (including Yarra, Frankston, Hobsons Bay, Bayside, Whitehorse, Greater Dandenong, Yarra Ranges & Knox). You don't hear people from those LGA's come out & complain (both in the media & on BigFooty) complaining about lockdown restrictions.

But thank-you for demonstrating how arrogant and entitled people from the Peninsula are--- no wonder your neighbours were a major cause of the first Victorian spike.
It is current cases that are the problem. You are showing ignorance of the population mix on the Mornington Peninsula. There are areas with social housing. The Portsea set are a tiny minority.

You are allowed to continue your holiday if you were are already in a holiday house. Packing up, leaving your principal residence and travelling to a holiday house is NOT ALLOWED.

I've got a house down the coast that I spend most weekends at but am staying put in Melbourne for the greater cause even though I'm in Yarra which has very few cases. Interestingly if we don't go to our house for 6 weeks our insurance lapses which is pretty standard on many insurance policies. I'd imagine it's going to be open season for thieves down on the coast.

It is current cases that are the problem. You are showing ignorance of the population mix on the Mornington Peninsula. There are areas with social housing. The Portsea set are a tiny minority.

...and you're taking my comment completely out of context to have a whinge because you think the lockdown isn't fair on you & your area. As I said-- I'd have more sympathy for the area if the region wasn't one of the reasons we were locked down the first time.

I don't care whether it's the Aspen crew. the social housing or anywhere in between-- I just think it's ridiculous that your complaining about being locked down now the second time when we all had to be locked down the first time due to the failure of the people on the Mornington Peninsula being able to follow the rules back in March.

...and you're taking my comment completely out of context to have a whinge because you think the lockdown isn't fair on you & your area. As I said-- I'd have more sympathy for the area if the region wasn't one of the reasons we were locked down the first time.

I don't care whether it's the Aspen crew. the social housing or anywhere in between-- I just think it's ridiculous that your complaining about being locked down now the second time when we all had to be locked down the first time due to the failure of the people on the Mornington Peninsula being able to follow the rules back in March.
I am not complaining about being locked down. I just think it is silly to spread it to areas that currently don’t have it.

First time is first time.

What you are saying is as stupid as saying that they should have more cops in Glanrowan because that's where Ned Kelly was.
Lockdown isn't something they do for payback.

No Covid19 there, why is it locked down?
No Covid 19 in Cardinia Shire, why is it locked down?

Hell there are less than 80 cases east of Warragul road.

What you are saying is as stupid as saying that they should have more cops in Glanrowan because that's where Ned Kelly was.

So wouldn't it be better to lock it down to keep it that way?

Not sure what's more stupid with this comment
  • Incorrectly spelling Glenrowan when using it as an example
  • Comparing the foolishness of the Mornington Peninsula back in March (4 months ago) to something that happened in 1880.

I think it's a fair assumption to place a LGA that sits on the borders of Metro Melbourne into lockdown with the rest of Metro Melbourne even when it has minimal cases due to the local population already demonstrating that they struggle with following self-isolation and social distancing rules. Better to keep the Mornington Peninsula in lockdown than risk it spreading through the community again.

I am not complaining about being locked down. I just think it is silly to spread the disease to areas that are free of it. The Mayor of the Shire also made the same complaint. How many people went to holiday homes on the Surf Coast on Tuesday? I am sure it wasn’t just Philip Island and the Mornington Peninsula.

I am not complaining about being locked down. I just think it is silly to spread the disease to areas that are free of it. The Mayor of the Shire also made the same complaint. How many people went to holiday homes on the Surf Coast on Tuesday? I am sure it wasn’t just Philip Island and the Mornington Peninsula.

That's even more reason to lockdown the Mornington Peninsula in my opinion--- if you didn't have restrictions you would've had more people start a "holiday" and go down to Holiday homes before the lockdown restarted.

The only time an announcement hasn't been given a lead-up time was the Housing Towers and providing even a few hours lead time would've lead to even more of an exodus down that way if the rules were consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's even more reason to lockdown the Mornington Peninsula in my opinion--- if you didn't have restrictions you would've had more people start a "holiday" and go down to Holiday homes before the lockdown restarted.

The only time an announcement hasn't been given a lead-up time was the Housing Towers and providing even a few hours lead time would've lead to even more of an exodus down that way if the rules were consistent.
The traffic on Peninsula Link heading south on Tuesday was like a sunny summer Saturday, not a week day in winter. I totally agree with the lockdown. It should have been sooner. At least the Aspen spreaders will be able to play golf. (sarcasm).

165 new cases for Victoria today. On track to surpass NSW by the end of the week.

And for some reason, IstandwithDan is trending on twitter. What the fck is wrong with the general public?

1) Allowed thousands of Europeans to enter Victoria for the Grand Prix weekend, to get 1 last cash grab for the state. Only to see the GP get cancelled at the last minute.
2) Did nothing to stop thousands of protesters break every rule for a police brutality movement in a foreign country.
3) Blamed families for the 2nd wave of COVID19 in Victoria.

Fair dinkum if hes re-elected the numpties over there deserve to left to their own devices with no help from other states.

Last edited:

I could never understand why medical experts were claiming that kids couldn't spread the virus. It made no sense at all, are they a different species? Naturally, governments were going to take that advice on board and declare schools safe.

932 actives - with around 500 in the last 3 days and thankfully ICU patients have gone from 5 to 9.
That said these are not ICU numbers that justify a crisis let alone a lockdown.

It takes a few weeks to go from positive test to ICU (and worse). This is well proven and undeniable.

Would you be prepared for me to quote this post in two weeks time?

Mark Changizi

@MarkChangizi

Lockdowns were NOT common sense measures. They were hysterical reactions out of fear. Here are 15 of just some of the reasons why it was not common sense. (I’m not including all the reasons we have NOW to see they were a bad idea.)

1. Evidence was poor that COVID19 was doomsday in the first place. ~ Low IFR https://cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/… ~ R0 around 2.3 https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32097725 ~ Age distribution similar to flu https://twitter.com/JamesTodaroMD/status/1254475378795651072?s=20… ~ Hits those with significant morbidities. ~ Safer for the young than flu.

2. Literature review prior to COVID19 had little good to say about shutdowns https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/329438/9789241516839-eng.pdf

3. Almost no awareness of the impact on civil rights, as if emergency declaration suspension of rights, house arrest, mass unemployment and business shutdowns is just something democratic governments sometimes do.

4. There was no historical precedent for putting the entire healthy population in "quarantine". Never. Before. Yet this was common sense.

5. There are broad classes of physical distancing & other measures that can slow down infection spread, including organic responses from governmental urgings, shopping times for those with comorbidities, greater cleaning, etc. And nothing is obvious about which one works best

6. Even if lockdowns in principle work, do real humans follow them sufficiently well that it remains better than other measures? Not. Obvious.

7. Was the infection even discovered early enough that lockdowns would make much of a difference?

8. Might lockdowns handicap society on reaching herd immunity? Is this good, or bad?

9. Nor is it common sense that lockdowns, even if they handled the infection risks better than other measures, are best when the economic consequences are included. The economic consequences are not common sense. They are devastating, including health and quality of life.

10. Lockdowns can lead to people not seeking medical attention, raising mortality in other areas of medicine.

11. Lockdowns and the resultant economic downturn and loneliness can lead to depression, greater domestic abuse, alcoholism. Is it common sense that these are worth it? Nothing obvious about it.

12. Lockdowns lower everyone’s immune system. Does this make everyone more prone to ANY infection once they come out?

13. Lockdowns confine people together, and nearly all infections happen in such situations, not from grocery stores, restaurants, parks, etc. The mean reproduction number in such situations can be much higher.

14. Members of extended families tend to interact even during lockdowns. But because extended families overlap other extended families in a network, infection continues to spread. This could mean lockdowns worsened things. Common sense doesn’t tell us whether it’s faster or not.

15. The greatest low-risk black swan dangers for humans are the stuff other humans do. Riots, revolutions, wars, human-induced famine, and so on. Playing with civil rights en masse while devastating the economy -- what could go wrong?

932 actives - with around 500 in the last 3 days and thankfully ICU patients have gone from 5 to 9.
That said these are not ICU numbers that justify a crisis let alone a lockdown.

We know that first cases increase, hospital admissions next and the ICU admissions around 3 weeks later. We could easily have 50-70 people in ICU in two weeks time and steadily increasing.

I think that is the ethical dilemma faced by government around the world, the balance between health and people's livelihoods.

I'm quite pleased that you are not the person in charge making these decisions.

I am not complaining about being locked down. I just think it is silly to spread the disease to areas that are free of it. The Mayor of the Shire also made the same complaint. How many people went to holiday homes on the Surf Coast on Tuesday?
Judging by my neck of the woods... a lot! Went out for a 2 hour walk earlier and didn’t recognise one face!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back