Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part Three.

Part One can be found here -

Part Two can be found here -

Part 4 can be found here:

Australian stats page:

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaked emails have been reported in The Age stating that the Vic state government knew or were told the hotel security was inadequate from day one which I believe was March 28th.
It is established that the strain of covid-19 prevelant in Melbourne originated from quarantined os travellers in Melbourne.
Explaining it away as bad luck other states dodged a bullet may not cut it .

Andrews and his Health minister had a response where they locked down all of Victoria fairly hard when it was pretty obvious that all of our cases were originating with travellers.
He focused on heavy handed enforcement , making sure that we didn't learn to drive and stuff, while failing to focus on the returned travellers who were the obvious cause.

If they'd allowed full crowds at AFL round 1, it wouldn't have spread the virus as much as the hotel security has .

We knew there was a high risk of travellers in those hotels having it, yet we palmed it off to "Dodgy Bruvvus Bouncers and Security" while the police were used to intimidate the public who had a 1 in 100 000 chance of having it.

Leaked emails have been reported in The Age stating that the Vic state government knew or were told the hotel security was inadequate from day one which I believe was March 28th.

“The state’s Chief Health Officer said on Monday it was "conceivable" that all the active COVID-19 cases in Victoria stemmed from Melbourne’s problem quarantine hotel program.”

Good to hear that Gina will be well looked after for the immediate future.

Even in Victoria most non-hospitality businesses are still going, though depending what they are they may have downturns.

You guys are so proud of the fact that people in china want your dirt , and you can dig it.
Its probably a little more than that.

mining is australias largest export - 50% And during corona it was prob quite a bit higher again.

So to have that going strong while the country is in lockdown is handy right?

No substantiated evidence of those health effects
Well of course not - the virus is six months old

Heres what they are surmising based on what they are seeing so far:

heres a comparison to long term effects from similar viruses:

The suburbs that went in to lockdown as "covid hotspots" and restricted postcodes have been in lockdown for almost two weeks now, and yet the cases continue to rise.

Difficult to see Victoria being successful in driving down numbers enough to lift lockdown in 5 weeks.

The suburbs that went in to lockdown as "covid hotspots" and restricted postcodes have been in lockdown for almost two weeks now, and yet the cases continue to rise.

Difficult to see Victoria being successful in driving down numbers enough to lift lockdown in 5 weeks.

I think 6 weeks was always a bare minimum number, we've been forced in to a position where unless there's outbreaks in other states, they'll refuse to open the borders until our community transmission is effectively non-existent.

Testing rates are very high still, with < 1% of them returning positives, so it's not all doom and gloom. The more minimally symptomatic cases we pick-up now, the quicker the numbers will drop later.

270 isn't a bad result. I thought yesterday's number was going to be adjusted upwards later in the day. The same number today is encouraging and hopefully represents a peak.

270 isn't a bad result. I thought yesterday's number was going to be adjusted upwards later in the day. The same number today is encouraging and hopefully represents a peak.
I think 6 weeks was always a bare minimum number, we've been forced in to a position where unless there's outbreaks in other states, they'll refuse to open the borders until our community transmission is effectively non-existent.

Testing rates are very high still, with < 1% of them returning positives, so it's not all doom and gloom. The more minimally symptomatic cases we pick-up now, the quicker the numbers will drop later.

There are over 1800 active cases in the community, which is a significant amount of virus in the community.

3 highest days of confirmed cases have been in the last 5 days.

These numbers are coming in 2 weeks after the initial restrictions on hotspots and a week after the entire Melbourne metro was placed in to lockdown.

There are over 1800 active cases in the community, which is a significant amount of virus in the community.

These numbers are coming in 2 weeks after the initial restrictions on hotspots and a week after the entire Melbourne metro was placed in to lockdown.

What's the point you're trying to make though?

We know it's in the community, so there's an extremely high level of testing going on. This means finding all cases, including the asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic ones. So figures will be high, but finding them now, keeping them isolated, and being able to trace who they've come in to contact with, means the numbers will drop faster, later.

It's been less than a week since the Melbourne-wide lockdown was re-imposed, I wouldn't be expecting to see the numbers start to drop for another week. That they're not growing, whilst doing an extremely high number of tests, is very positive.

We're running at < 1% positives out of the testing we're doing, which suggests that this isn't rampantly running out of control and that we may well have got a lid on it before it was too late to do so.

If the daily cases keep rising, the yes, it will be bad.

As they are sitting around the same mark, and if this represents a peak, then it's not too bad.

The coming week will tell the story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't see this coming , getting through the season would be a huge effort and organisation , least clubs and Foxtel/ media outlets survive but a tricky situation weekly . I feel a little guilty enjoying the footy ......

What's the point you're trying to make though?

We know it's in the community, so there's an extremely high level of testing going on. This means finding all cases, including the asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic ones. So figures will be high, but finding them now, keeping them isolated, and being able to trace who they've come in to contact with, means the numbers will drop faster, later.

It's been less than a week since the Melbourne-wide lockdown was re-imposed, I wouldn't be expecting to see the numbers start to drop for another week. That they're not growing, whilst doing an extremely high number of tests, is very positive.

We're running at < 1% positives out of the testing we're doing, which suggests that this isn't rampantly running out of control and that we may well have got a lid on it before it was too late to do so.
it would appear there is no exponential growth so far. Hopefully it remains this way so any outbreaks are manageable and because no one wants to traverse exponential growth.

Really interesting decision (purely from a risk management perspective) to pump tbe vast majority of your returned travellers into your 2 biggest populations / economies VIC and NSW.

Fed Gov decision I believe. Can anyone confirm?

Really interesting decision (purely from a risk management perspective) to pump tbe vast majority of your returned travellers into your 2 biggest populations / economies VIC and NSW.

You mean they were flying in to the airports that already took the most international arrivals per annum?

Given their large populations those two states had the highest capacity to house travellers for 14 days while they undertook quarantine.

If the quarantine had sufficient infection control protocols in place and those protocols were followed, we wouldn't be in this mess.

IT was decisions made by Victoria and how they managed their HQ program that let the nation down.

Yes
Given their large populations those two states had the highest capacity to house travellers for 14 days while they undertook quarantine.

If the quarantine had sufficient infection control protocols in place and those protocols were followed, we wouldn't be in this mess.

IT was decisions made by Victoria and how they managed their HQ program that let the nation down.
Yep and not wanting to absolve the vic Gov of its quarantine responsibility. But just from a pure risk management perspective, exposing your 2 largest populations and economies to the risk of outbreak is a big call. There are other international airports all over Australia that could have been used etc.

Anyway I guess it's a moot point for VIC now - can't see any repat flights for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back