Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part Three.

Part One can be found here -

Part Two can be found here -

Part 4 can be found here:

Australian stats page:

Last edited by a moderator:
But that’s not whT you suggested. You claimed it was fact that they had it prior or got it at the protest

you do need medical details to claim that.

reading your previous whinges about the protest it seems this is common of you. You make things up, Pretend you didn’t, then disappear until a new clickbait article that you can lie about comes out.

see you in a few weeks
That's what I've said this entire time back to when I first mentioned the damn protests in the first place.

Common? Haha, my stance about that protest has been consistent throughout - a stance you actually agree with (insofar as they're risky and shouldn't have taken place), so why are you arguing with me? Oh, I know why - because you want to insert "political bias" or some sort of nonsense to paint me as some right-winger, yeah? You don't even know my political leanings, my broader opinions of the BLM/protest movement, etc. Or much anything about me, really. In short, you know * all.

If my word isn't good enough when I say "I support the idea behind the protests, but..." ... then you should've just said so from the beginning.

The Australian is Murdoch's pet project to try and impose his agenda upon all of Australia. Judging from how many swallow it whole - it's working.

The absence of any other publication echoing it's claims probably speaks volumes as to how spurious it is.
A day or so ago they were running a story that the government had been warned their hotel measures weren't going to work.

The media at this level are like Jerry Springer, they just want to start some stuff

I don't need their medical details to tell you that it's very likely a gathering of 10k people is going to spread this virus. Jesus H Christ. Are you daft?
Science doesn't care what might have happened, what is obvious or common sense, only what did happen.

How many people who attended the rally have tested positive?

From what I read of stage 4, it would be everything bar supermarkets and servos. And you’d have to stay in your postcode

the postcode (or council) thing should’ve been part of stage 3. Why do people (other than for work or medical) need to be driving around melbourne to exercise or shop?
My postcode is ******* huge, it would be like 4 postcodes anywhere else and if that's the case then really no different to the first lockdown, stage 3 stage 4 no different.

Science doesn't care what might have happened, what is obvious or common sense, only what did happen.

How many people who attended the rally have tested positive?
Epidemiological science seems to care. From the last count, maybe five people? Reality is we won't know the real number.

Epidemiological science seems to care. From the last count, maybe five people? Reality is we won't know the real number.
So, despite the protests being a bad idea (which most can agree on), it hasn't been the seed for a massive spike in cases.

It was 3, but even if we accept 5 (a whopping two more people), more simultaneous COVID infections came from (in just Australia alone):

- A single pub
- A single house party for returning ski tourists from Aspen, Colorado
- A classroom in a college
- *insert any cruise ship here*
- A flight from Dubai to Perth on July 1

The list goes on.

But we're focusing on a BLM protest, six weeks after the event. I wonder why that is?

It was 3, but even if we accept 5 (a whopping two more people), more simultaneous COVID infections came from (in just Australia alone):

- A single pub

The list goes on.
That's just confirmed... going to be a lot more than that realistically. It's going to be a lot easier tracing people and their contacts from small meetings or areas of relative isolation. We don't even know the source of most COVID infections... so that information doesn't really say all that much.

Allowing it to happen also makes people more complacent/less respectful of the rules in place. "If they're allowed to protest with that many numbers, why can't I have a BBQ with 50 of my mates". That kinda thing.

But we're focusing on a BLM protest, six weeks after the event. I wonder why that is?
Yeah, I'm actually Alan Jones in disguise.

That's just confirmed... going to be a lot more than that realistically. It's going to be a lot easier tracing people and their contacts from small meetings or areas of relative isolation. We don't even know the source of most COVID infections... so that information doesn't really say all that much.

If there were 'a lot more than that', then wouldn't outbreaks have occurred all over Melbourne? If you're of the belief that a lot of them would be the inner city trendy soy-latte Greens voting set, then wouldn't we have seen mushrooming numbers in the CBD? Did the protesters all live in Broadmeadows or have a giant piss up afterwards in North Melbourne?

I think the reality here is people (mostly on the conservative side of politics) are just looking for excuses to keep wailing about people exercising a fundamental right to express discontent at the treatment of black people. Was it ill advised? Yep. Irresponsible? Sure. But blaming it for the current lockdowns? Hmm...

If there were 'a lot more than that', then wouldn't outbreaks have occurred all over Melbourne? If you're of the belief that a lot of them would be the inner city trendy soy-latte Greens voting set, then wouldn't we have seen mushrooming numbers in the CBD? Did the protesters all live in Broadmeadows or have a giant piss up afterwards in Tullamarine?
Considering majority of people show no symptoms with the virus, I'd say it is all over Melbourne. Genie is out of the bottle now.

I truly hate to be a point of difference here because I actually agree with your inference but the reason why is because it predicated the second wave and was a hypothesized outcome prior to the second wave.

With this you basically add not just the political confirmation bias that people want to see but also a very easy data correlation that those who just want to have a lazy hot take without doing any sort of critical thinking can use around the office/pub.

Fact is it wasn't a great idea for a protest and (from a purely, cold and blunt political spin point of view) it basically allowed a conservative free hit and allowed the pundits and columnists to muddy the motives of the protesters with a ready-made bias. It simply wasn't a good idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol @ the copper’s list of infringements.

Refusing to not dine-in at KFC, even when the police arrived.

Wonder if he cracked out the ‘death rates’ comparison chart and the tinfoil hat?
What about the two guys in a car saying they were playing Pokemon!

- A single pub

The list goes on.

Because it pissed a lot of people off and people think it was that, that was a major cause of changed behaviour but I’m sure you already knew that.

Allowing it to happen also makes people more complacent/less respectful of the rules in place. "If they're allowed to protest with that many numbers, why can't I have a BBQ with 50 of my mates". That kinda thing.

No matter what you think, Sutton says you are wrong. Might be time to back away gracefully (though it may be too late). This is the second time you’ve raged at length about the protests despite facts to the contrary. For all your talk of ‘supporting the cause’, your words say otherwise and you appear to have an axe to grind.

Because it pissed a lot of people off and people think it was that, that was a major cause of changed behaviour but I’m sure you already knew that.

Or maybe the major cause of changed behaviour were restrictions being de-escalated around that time too?

Nah, cannot be that, must be those BLM do-gooders.

No matter what you think, Sutton says you are wrong. Might be time to back away gracefully (though it may be too late). This is the second time you’ve raged at length about the protests despite facts to the contrary. For all your talk of ‘supporting the cause’, your words say otherwise and you appear to have an axe to grind.
Is that the same Sutton that's been overlooking this shitshow we currently have? What a tremendous job he's done.

"Raged at length" - talk about overblowing things. What's next? Being a racist?

Supporting a cause (in principle) and being critical of it aren't mutually exclusive. Buzz-words like "axe to grind" are just pointless inserts for the hell of it. You find history of me bad-mouthing the protest movement in the US, BLM and any of that... then you can talk about grinding axes.

Until then, don't over-analyse and pretend to read my thoughts.

Or maybe the major cause of changed behaviour were restrictions being de-escalated around that time too?

The thing is rightly or wrongly there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who couldn’t care less about the BLM movement and the second they went ahead it pissed off a lot of them (plus supporters of BLM who have a brain) who felt like all the sacrifices they made were thrown back in their faces not to mention younger people (actually not just younger) who are just dumb and say “f@&$ it If there allowed to.....”.
The entire thing was an absolute joke, though I do think most were just too naive to realise how stupid they were being so I do think it’s time to learn and move on. The government were embarrassing, after I thought they had been brilliant up until that point.

Regardless, it's really bad optics. Lots of people aren't going to take restrictions as seriously as they should when they're not allowed to have a gathering of friends, yet stuff like that is allowed. It sends a hypocritical message and makes their restrictions meaningless.

Is that the same Sutton that's been overlooking this shitshow we currently have? What a tremendous job he's done.

"Raged at length" - talk about overblowing things. What's next? Being a racist?

Supporting a cause (in principle) and being critical of it aren't mutually exclusive. Buzz-words like "axe to grind" are just pointless inserts for the hell of it. You find history of me bad-mouthing the protest movement in the US, BLM and any of that... then you can talk about grinding axes.

Until then, don't over-analyse and pretend to read my thoughts.
I’m reading your words, not your thoughts. That’s the issue.

Regardless, it's really bad optics. Lots of people aren't going to take restrictions as seriously as they should when they're not allowed to have a gathering of friends, yet stuff like that is allowed. It sends a hypocritical message and makes their restrictions meaningless.

Of course the optics is bad. Acknowledged it multiple times already, happy to accept it was ill advised and irresponsible.

However, continuously looking to blame BLM for Victoria's current situation reflects more on the poster than the BLM protesters in my view. Not a word about how the government may have de-escalated the restrictions a bit too soon which encouraged more gatherings and more complacency - funny enough, happening around the time of the BLM protest. As I said before - I wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back