Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scomo could actually do a good job and it wouldn’t matter to you lot, you’d still pile on because he walks funny or said something you don’t agree with. Like children in a school yard

Yep. I find that no matter what side of politics you are these days people's minds are made up and it's all about a cheap dig. Sad reflection on many people these days. Never used to be like this.

Scomo could actually do a good job and it wouldn’t matter to you lot, you’d still pile on because he walks funny or said something you don’t agree with. Like children in a school yard
Don't let it bother you, they are just salty they lost the unlosable election. The further left they go, the more Lib/Nat Coalition governments there will be.

I think you are looking at this issue through your Western eyes and cant see the hypocrisy of accepting others who eat cows etc but cannot accept those who eat dogs.
It is a matter of perspective , the environment you were raised and you need to appreciate your way is not always the right way or the only way. It is just the way you were raised.

No mate. Skinning dogs alive is wrong. Boiling them alive while other dogs watch is wrong. It's not comparable to Australian farming practises. It's not about perspective. It's just wrong

No and it should not be tolerated, cruelty of animals is a different argument though to what animals should and should not be eaten.
Actually, the issue that pretty much everyone has with certain Asian countries is the way they slaughter animals, not the consumption itself.

You only have to see that dog eating festival they hold in China every year where they publicly torture dogs for a week before killing them to understand why people find the practice of eating dogs disgusting.

If they were reared and slaughtered in humane conditions I think you'd find most people wouldn't have too much of an issue with it.

Only thing is China’s brutal lockdown has seen their growth slowed. Yes they could be full of it but from an evidence perspective they’re closing those temporary hospitals in Wuhan and now have excess medical staff they’re offering to send to Italy. That makes me think that it’s actually working.

This means China recovers and re opens it’s supply chains and manufacturing first. And starts buying again first. And has an economic recovery first.

For us in Australia we are facing a recession. We will be begging for anyone one investing or buying products so if it’s China who will recover first then we really no choice but to suck up to them. Our society is now one where we have decided that the dollar rules. We sold our houses to the Chinese and pocketed the cash, selling out our next generation. Instead of properly funding unis we relied on Chinese students. We chased the easy dollar instead of diversifying.

So it’s a choice. We sneer at the Chinese and tell them they’re immoral disease spreaders and refuse to trade with them. Or we hold our noses and trade with them, and prevent (or more likely limit at this stage) a recession.

With what I’ve experienced in today’s modern Australian society the dollar rules. If people think they will lose money or jobs they’ll get down on their knees and kiss China’s ass in seconds.

Ok, so China recovers first and re-opens their supply chains and manufacturing first and starts buying again first. Who are they buying from, themselves?

Do we as a nation hold our noses and trade with them or do companies with existing contracts honour those contracts?

I'm not sure how old you are but would you have been happy if your parents lost their jobs so you could come on here and sneer?

AFL have an opportunity to do fairly well with this.

Cancel games for next 4-6 weeks.
17 game season with everyone playing each other once
Thursday night games. Maximum exposure.
Public keen see footy will jump on and it could be a great season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inhumane death is 100% my point. The fact many in China view painful deaths as somehow improving meat quality is really disgusting. I wouldn't eat any animal that was skinned alive or kept in the conditions of those at the Wuhan market, and unfortunately that's the norm for countries that eat dogs. There is no rationalizing that level of cruelty
[Media]

This is the kind of s**t that happens at these wet markets.

Your point on not eating dogs is they are a 'companion animal' with puppy dog eyes and man's best friend. Seems very emotive.

I share your sentiment RE: cruelty (and no animal should be subject to cruelty) but you are arguing from a point of emotion and not logic.

It's fact, not emotion, to say that dogs and humans have evolved a companionship relationship over thousands of years. You may dispute that this matters when it comes to eating animals, but this relationship, combined with the fact of the terrible cruelty involved in dog eating, matters to me

Dear CaronaVirus please take the weekend off so I can go to the Rugby League

Sincerely PM Scott Morrison

What a ******* moron!!

Does ScoMo actually live in the real world!?
I think he lives with his head permanently up his own backside.

No mate. Skinning dogs alive is wrong. Boiling them alive while other dogs watch is wrong. It's not comparable to Australian farming practises. It's not about perspective. It's just wrong
Again your confusing the cruelty line to justify you dont eat dog line.

i am against cruelty but questioned your attitude that dogs should not be eaten full stop. That eating dog is wrong. That is why i questioned your post, now you keep avoiding the dog issue and just highlight the cruelty.

AFL have an opportunity to do fairly well with this.

Cancel games for next 4-6 weeks.
17 game season with everyone playing each other once
Thursday night games. Maximum exposure.
Public keen see footy will jump on and it could be a great season
Why do we assume it will be safer in 6 weeks?

The conditions that lead to postponement may very well still apply.

I want the season to go ahead but I'm not sure it'll all have "blown over" by May.

It's fact, not emotion, to say that dogs and humans have evolved a companionship relationship over thousands of years. You may dispute that this matters when it comes to eating animals, but this relationship, combined with the fact of the terrible cruelty involved in dog eating, matters to me

And what of the centuries of companionship between the (modern) domestic cow and human? Yet no one bats an eyelid to devouring a tasty medium rare steak.

Do these cows have less moral value than dogs because on sits on the couch alongside us while the grazes outdoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back