Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we don’t need to panic, but we also don’t need to bury our heads in the sand & think it’s a normal flu. Somewhere in the middle where a concern is shown & a bit of planning required just in case.

Caution has to be shown because this strain is killing parents/grandparents all over the world atm & the less of us healthy ones get it, the less chance those who are vulnerable will. It’s not that hard to understand.

Can you then go down the supermarket (arm yourself) and make that clear to the alarmist f***wits? Yes there is a problem, no need to act like it's the last day on earth and make life s**t for everyone else.

As soon as the US, England suspended their sports even India suspended their Premier T20 comp, imagine the farcical situation for the world to witness that we played sports following this in crowded stadiums.

Hello NRL. :drunk:

AFL R1, will NOT happen.
Pfft, those NRL stadiums weren’t crowded. Reckon most people there had 1.5m and then some.

So tell us all how all this panic buying and acting like Armageddon is actually going on is justified.
It's not. Ignore the fear mongers. They pose as being really responsible and being the only ones who are genuinely concerned about the situation as if anyone who isn't panicking are the reason the virus will spread. That's what panic does. They have lost their minds and become hostile toward anyone who is calm and getting on with their lives. That's the biggest threat in this whole ordeal. Panickers.

Whilst I hate this alarmist bullshit buying - it's because there's a real possibility of the breakdown of supply chains coupled with compulsory house arrest... nothing to do with people thinking that they're going to be shitting themselves for ages. It really does show how ****ed we really are if China decides it wants a piece of us

That's all good and well - no one is taking this lightly including Eagleboy68.

It has been reported by medical professionals that this virus is likely only to be fatal for the weak and the elderly and yes the contagioncy rate seems to be the biggest alarm. The spread, and the fatality rate - not to the bulk of the worlds population but to the minorities in the weak and the elderly.

It's the farken over alarmist dickheads who buy up 6 mths worth of groceries like we've reached the point of Armageddon that are the bigger problem.
  • According to medical professionals this virus is only likely to be fatal to minority groups. I know that sounds blunt but that's the reality - no need buy up life essentials like it's your last day on earth.
  • No one is suggesting NOT quarantining those at risk of infection or infecting other, that quarantining is designed to contain the virus. Not because the virus kills all and sundry like Ebola - no need to shut the world down because of it. If quarantine guidelines are followed correctly then there is no need to close off life as we know it.
Shutting business all and sundry is exactly the same as hysteria.

If you recall back to all the other Armageddon viruses like equine, swine, sars, ebola or any other supposed super virus (and those ARE all much more deadly) why is it the world did not run around like a headless chook with it's arms up in the air then?

Everyone just need to calm the **** down, this virus if my 102 yo grand mother were to get it would likely kill her. If it were a young fit and healthy 50 yo like myself then it's unlikely to kill me, according to reports it would be like getting the flu or not even.

So tell us all how all this panic buying and acting like Armageddon is actually going on is justified.

You are aware that Italy is already at the stage where they are denying some people over 80 ICU?

These things are not mutually exclusive:

You can be a moron and buy 3 years of toilet paper
You can be a moron and still hold a "relaaaaax it only affects the vulnerable"

Both morons. Both tremendously selfish morons

The second selfish moron is no less a selfish moron because of the existence of the first selfish moron

Whilst I hate this alarmist bullshit buying - it's because there's a real possibility of the breakdown of supply chains coupled with compulsory house arrest... nothing to do with people thinking that they're going to be shitting themselves for ages. It really does show how f’ed we really are if China decides it wants a piece of us
It goes to show how ****ed we are to have so many *******s making a bad situation worse by panicking. In what universe is any of that behaviour sane.

It has been reported by medical professionals that this virus is likely only to be fatal for the weak and the elderly and yes the contagioncy rate seems to be the biggest alarm. The spread, and the fatality rate - not to the bulk of the worlds population but to the minorities in the weak and the elderly.

It's the farken over alarmist dickheads who buy up 6 mths worth of groceries like we've reached the point of Armageddon that are the bigger problem.
  • According to medical professionals this virus is only likely to be fatal to minority groups. I know that sounds blunt but that's the reality - no need buy up life essentials like it's your last day on earth.
  • No one is suggesting NOT quarantining those at risk of infection or infecting other, that quarantining is designed to contain the virus. Not because the virus kills all and sundry like Ebola - no need to shut the world down because of it. If quarantine guidelines are followed correctly then there is no need to close off life as we know it.

If you recall back to all the other Armageddon viruses like equine, swine, sars, ebola or any other supposed super virus (and those ARE all much more deadly) why is it the world did not run around like a headless chook with it's arms up in the air then?

Everyone just need to calm the **** down, this virus if my 102 yo grand mother were to get it would likely kill her. If it were a young fit and healthy 50 yo like myself then it's unlikely to kill me, according to reports it would be like getting the flu or not even.

Panic buying toilet paper is hysteria. Preventing the spread of a highly contagious disease that would put extreme stress on our health system by closing down public events and, yes, schools and business, for a short period is not hysteria. Other countries aren’t doing it for fun, it actually works.

It goes to show how f’ed we are to have so many *******s making a bad situation worse by panicking. In what universe is any of that behaviour sane.
It's not sane at all, but its shown how highly strung out society actually is. The wealthy are brawling because they're used to just buying their way out of trouble, and this sort of stuff doesn't discriminate. The less wealthy are brawling because they want their slice of the pie as well and they probably think that if they were wealthier, they could buy their way out of the problem, so they're taking matters into their own hands.

Meanwhile, those with half a brain and some decent life skills are just carrying on as normal and getting by fine, all whilst having a good laugh/shake of the head in the meantime

It happened in WW1 and people got through it without losing their minds.
Almost, but not quite right. Look to the VFL premiership tables for seasons 1914-1918 for reference. Many clubs declined to take part, one - University- never reformed, but by 1919 the competition was back up and running despite the death rates of the Spanish flu pandemic. One assumes if they had the knowledge of viral infections we have now and the communication facilities we now enjoy, panic about the SF pandemic would be even more intense than it is now.

Spanish flu killed around 19 million, on top of the 6 million killed in ww1, the years between 1914 and 1919 were pretty grim for the western world.

they would’ve been undoubtedly at lot of brutal opinions expressed and various arguments flying back and forth with great gusto from all and sundry I’m guessing.

not much has changed 100 years later ...

‘it’s heartening to read that back then people resolved agains the political correctness of the day to state simply that it was a stupid stupid war

I am saying we know enough that there has not been substantial community transmission.

NSW has apparently tested 20,000 people and from memory as little as a dozen were through unknown transmission (some are still being "investigated". Two of these were doctors that went to the same conference.

Victoria has tested, from memory, 15,000 people and produced one community transmission who had been in Sydney in the previous week. I read today that they have tested 1,000 "casual contacts" for not one positive case and are subsequently confident that close, extended contact is overwhelmingly the dominant form of transmission

Up to 20% of people get "severe" symptoms. There is no way that substantial community transmissions could have occurred where severe cases were not picked up. In Italy and the US, it was a period of non testing of severe cases early on that lead to the epidemics there

Now the two week self quarantine policy has been brought in (where we have followed NZ's lead), the pressure on testing from international sources will be lessened.

At least we both agree that whether or not we have community transmission is as an important element of all this. As I said I have a more pessimist assessment of the information than you do and I'll be pleased if the coming weeks prove my assessment to have been incorrect.

In regard to the last few days there have been a lot of cases in NSW where the comment for the source of the virus for the patient was - "under investigation, source not yet known" or "under further investigation, source not yet known". Of the 22 cases announced for NSW on the 15 March, 11 were in those two countries. I don't have the numbers for 14 March but there was a similar spread.

For now we will have to agree to disagree. I'm sure we'll both be looking at the information and data over the next few weeks and we'll both be hoping that your right.

Unfortunately if anyone's mum wants to buy toilet paper they need to take their tazer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost, but not quite right. Look to the VFL premiership tables for seasons 1914-1918 for reference. Many clubs declined to take part, one - University- never reformed, but by 1919 the competition was back up and running despite the death rates of the Spanish flu pandemic. One assumes if they had the knowledge of viral infections we have now and the communication facilities we now enjoy, panic about the SF pandemic would be even more intense than it is now.

Spanish flu killed around 19 million, on top of the 6 million killed in ww1, the years between 1914 and 1919 were pretty grim for the western world.

We didn't have much air travel back then. Ships were a very effective quarantine.

It's not sane at all, but its shown how highly strung out society actually is. The wealthy are brawling because they're used to just buying their way out of trouble, and this sort of stuff doesn't discriminate. The less wealthy are brawling because they want their slice of the pie as well and they probably think that if they were wealthier, they could buy their way out of the problem, so they're taking matters into their own hands.

Meanwhile, those with half a brain and some decent life skills are just carrying on as normal and getting by fine, all whilst having a good laugh/shake of the head in the meantime
At least it's not most people who are like this. Yet. What we've witnessed in the past week is probably a preview of what will ensue if things get worse. At the first slight provocation maybe 10% of the population had a real panic reaction. Maybe if things get worse we'll see worse as the next 10% are provoked to panic and so on. With varying degrees of patience and psychological fortitude each one of us may be tested if and when things get worse and worse.

yes...5 minutes later I realised that. See my other post for more detail about those years from 1914 to 1918

Pfft, those NRL stadiums weren’t crowded. Reckon most people there had 1.5m and then some.

it was pretty sparse I must agree

my local shopping centre and many like it around the country today had 2 to 3 thousand people packed in like it was Xmas eve shopping.

but it’s nothing that hasn’t been going on in dozens of other countries already

people keep banging on about the word “panic”. It’s not panic in the true sense of the word.
It’s called human survival mode. Fear of food shortage..most of them are thinking of their children too.

its human nature.

no different to animals in the wild who fight over food when they are all hungry and there’s not much around.

fear of running out of food is the same as the thought of running out of water.

we’ll cross over a mountain to get to it if required.

it just so happens all the food is at supermarkets and that’s where we all head to.

And there’s a hell of a lot of mouths to feed surrounding every shopping centre in the country

We didn't have much air travel back then. Ships were a very effective quarantine.
Agreed there was no air travel, but hundreds of thousands of soldiers were shipped home all over the world and spread the virus. How else to ascribe the spread to the far corners of the planet?

So basically by this time tomorrow, NSW will have more cases than Hong Kong. And Hong Kong has twice the population of Sydney in one-tenth the size.

my sister lives in Hong Kong - school has been out for atleast 6 weeks now and won’t go back for another month or two.

god help us and this incompetent government of ours. The nation needs to go into lockdown right now.

Is that REALLY the number of cases at Hong Kong?
So Hong Kong started their summer holidays early. Summer...oh good colds and flues don't breed as well in summer.
No they don't , just because you have a Year's worth of toilet paper. The old lady you shoved out of the way to get it will still need food and toilet paper. Lockdown is not sustainable.
Interestingly the toilet paper shortage started in Hong Kong, where there may have actually been a shortage. Your sister probably gave you the heads up, even though we make plenty of the stuff here, and they are currently making far more than our population normally uses.

my local shopping centre and many like it around the country today had 2 to 3 thousand people packed in like it was Xmas eve shopping.

people keep banging on about the word “panic”. It’s not panic in the true sense of the word.
It’s called human survival mode. Fear of food shortage..most of them are thinking of their children too.

its human nature.

no different to animals in the wild who fight over food when they are all hungry and there’s not much around.

it just so happens all the food is at supermarkets and that’s where we all head to.

And there’s a hell of a lot of mouths to feed surrounding every shopping centre in the country
And why would there be a food shortage? Because we might get to a point where everyone is too paralysed by fear to carry out the necessary work they have all been doing up to this point to ensure we have a constant supply of food? So they are afraid of fear causing food shortages in their imagination and not in reality. Do you see why that is panic and not a rational response to a present threat?

its human nature.

Anyone would think the govt was planning on shutting down supermarkets soon the way some people are carrying on, they will still be open even if we go into lockdown like Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back