Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the USA about to start trials for a vaccine, the news in Brisbane that they have a ‘possible’ treatment, there is potential for us to get the upper hand on this virus over the next few months and particularly with the early measures for isolation being taken here in Australia compared to overseas.

IF and it’s a big IF, Australia does manage to get the upper hand on this over the next 2-3 months and we haven’t already lost the footy season, I’ll be interested to see if they implement the full season and re-introduce those double ups at the end of the year (if crowds have returned and there is extremely lower community transmission rates)

Obviously it’s incredibly unlikely and this all depends on the success of those current trials which will still take a couple months, but if they are successful they will be pushed out in force and particularly the Brisbane trial since those drugs are already approved.
A vaccine rolled out to the general population is, at best, a year away after the clinical trial process (and that's significantly speeding up a multi-year process). That's just the approvals, then actually manufacturing enough of it is another thing altogether.
The Brisbane trial is interesting, but again, you would think a while away. They might get approval to enrol as many patients as possible, but the data still has to be analysed at the end of it to determine if its effective. Lockdown this year is inevitable, the 2020 season won't be saved by new or repurposed medicines.
The only effective population-wide short-term measure is social isolation which has to start right now. Footy won't be on the table at all this year without it.

For all non - victorians we used to have a world renowned infectious diseases hospital in Fairfield. Perfect and set up for this scenario.

Closed by Jeff Kennett in 1996.

Yet he was on radio reminding everyone how well things went when he was premier and how he can draw on it.

We all know his treasurer was the real brains, even if you think a lot of it wasnt a s**t show

My understanding is:

1. The players themselves are not at risk if they contract the virus. They would have few symptoms
2. The risk is that they spread it to the wider community
3. The financial impacts of the cancellation of games will be dire and will take decades to resolve. Players salaries will be cut

So if the goal is:

1. Protect the community
2. Protect the viability of the game, then I would propose the following:

1. All players, coaches and skeleton staff relocate to melbourne for 3 months
2. Each team be allocated a ground, with accommodation near by
3. Each team be socially isolated for the three months,
4. The first 5 rounds of the full 22 game schedule be played at grounds in Melbourne without fans, but with full TV coverage
5. At the end of 3 months most players will have had the virus and recovered, and will no longer be contagious
6. Players with children etc can elect not to participate but will suffer a salary reduction as a consequence
7. Players from state leagues can elect to enter a draft knowing they will be in isolation for the 3 months.

I asked one of the younger swans players whether he would be willing to do this. He said they are pretty much doing it now, and if it meant more senior games and maintenance of salary then he would love to do it.

With the USA about to start trials for a vaccine, the news in Brisbane that they have a ‘possible’ treatment, there is potential for us to get the upper hand on this virus over the next few months and particularly with the early measures for isolation being taken here in Australia compared to overseas.

IF and it’s a big IF, Australia does manage to get the upper hand on this over the next 2-3 months and we haven’t already lost the footy season, I’ll be interested to see if they implement the full season and re-introduce those double ups at the end of the year (if crowds have returned and there is extremely lower community transmission rates)

Obviously it’s incredibly unlikely and this all depends on the success of those current trials which will still take a couple months, but if they are successful they will be pushed out in force and particularly the Brisbane trial since those drugs are already approved.

If treatment gets approved, open the season up, isolate the 70+ year olds and resume business.

Playing the games keeps people in their homes, watching on tv. The extra exposure to the players is minimal compared to the non exposure dividend of the watching public.

My understanding is:

1. The players themselves are not at risk if they contract the virus. They would have few symptoms
3. The financial impacts of the cancellation of games will be dire and will take decades to resolve. Players salaries will be cut

So if the goal is:

1. Protect the community

4. The first 5 rounds of the full 22 game schedule be played at grounds in Melbourne without fans, but with full TV coverage
5. At the end of 3 months most players will have had the virus and recovered, and will no longer be contagious
6. Players with children etc can elect not to participate but will suffer a salary reduction as a consequence
7. Players from state leagues can elect to enter a draft knowing they will be in isolation for the 3 months.

I asked one of the younger swans players whether he would be willing to do this. He said they are pretty much doing it now, and if it meant more senior games and maintenance of salary then he would love to do it.

In the scheme of things isnt this just a bit selfish? competitions with far bigger sums of mone are closing mid season. AFL hasn't even started

Its s**t on several levels and extremely selfish relocate away from family etc in an unprecedented health situation

* granted some players would be closer to family by relocating to melbourne

what happens if interstate travel needs self isolation? WA is effectively as remote as NZ

Playing the games keeps people in their homes, watching on tv. The extra exposure to the players is minimal compared to the non exposure dividend of the watching public.

I heard several radio callers using the mental health angle. its clutching at straws. If ceased, the next footy month would be no different from the last footy month. How many marsh or aflw games did you watch?

Here it comes Stateside.

Buried in the last 3rd of the article is that bank cash reserve requirements of 10% are now "removed".

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My understanding is:

So if the goal is:

1. Protect the community

That seems pretty selfish considering the circumstances.

I don’t think wanting to see your family should be a consequence. It’s just a job for a lot of these guys.

Yet he was on radio reminding everyone how well things went when he was premier and how he can draw on it.

We all know his treasurer was the real brains, even if you think a lot of it wasnt a s**t show
So his treasurer was the campaigner who privatised all our services and closed countless schools and hospitals

Heard on radio that playing AFL is low risk of passing infection even if someone has it.

Not sure if bulldust

The main mode of transmission is breathing. I know they play outside but how does a bloke at the bottom of a pack not breath air previously inhaled by another player?

I was also under the impression that it is still possible to get it from contact.

I am skeptical.

Here it comes Stateside.

Buried in the last 3rd of the article is that bank cash reserve requirements of 10% are now "removed".

FMD, mark this down as the start of the collapse of our financial system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A vaccine rolled out to the general population is, at best, a year away after the clinical trial process (and that's significantly speeding up a multi-year process). That's just the approvals, then actually manufacturing enough of it is another thing altogether.
The Brisbane trial is interesting, but again, you would think a while away. They might get approval to enrol as many patients as possible, but the data still has to be analysed at the end of it to determine if its effective. Lockdown this year is inevitable, the 2020 season won't be saved by new or repurposed medicines.
The only effective population-wide short-term measure is social isolation which has to start right now. Footy won't be on the table at all this year without it.

they were saying 3 months this morning. They are testing the next 2400 patients that report through the hospitals.

Everything's an easy choice after you've seen the results. I always know which horses i should have bet on after the races finishes.
Correct analogy, wrong learning. The same race has been / is being run in several countries, and we know who wins when certain actions are taken, and who loses when they are delayed.

If the s**t really hits the fan all the hoarders are only stocking up stuff for the meanest M.F. with the biggest gun(or knife) in their neighbourhood.

View attachment 840958
04dead3-superJumbo.jpg

I heard several radio callers using the mental health angle. its clutching at straws. If ceased, the next footy month would be no different from the last footy month. How many marsh or aflw games did you watch?

Why would the comparison between the next footy month and the last one be of interest?

The comparison is between the number of people going out during the game vs the number of people staying home during the game.

Picture this for a second: Dwayne Russell and Luke Darcy.....with no crowd noise in the background. Just their unimpaired voices for 2 hours.

I don't want to be a fearmongerer but I think we must all acknowledge the realities of this crisis.

We need BT back!

Umpire farts as he bounces the ball.

they were saying 3 months this morning. They are testing the next 2400 patients that report through the hospitals.
Was that the Brisbane trial? If they can get it done and it's effective then bloody awesome. I'm sure they'll be doing everything they can to push it through as quickly as possible

Everyone running around etc etc. yet one positive test of a single AFL player will just stop it in its tracks.

on the pay cut...if its 20% thats 10% after tax

Here it comes Stateside.

Toilet paper runs will become bank runs. Removing that requirement is madness, but not to worry, QE will mean they'll just print more money.

Hope folks over there have a wheelbarrow, they might need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back