Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the Government's reasoning that school's should remain open, flawed. The Government believes that if school's are closed all parents will need to stay home to look after them and work places will suffer and therefore the economy. The problem with this reasoning is that you are creating perfect breeding grounds for the virus to spread to the rest of the community very quickly. Kids and young adults don't show the same severity of symptoms adults do so can have the virus and spread the virus without their parents being aware for weeks.

In a school setting, where kids are all jammed in. Where kids have poor hygiene and are very touchie feelie with each other. Where one kid who has the virus could effectively spread it to their whole class and all their friends in minutes. Where each child would then go home and pass it on to all their family who would then pass it on to all their work colleagues and friends.The virus could/would effect tens of thousands of people before anyone even shows any symptoms all generated from the same child and then school community.

When you're passing laws to stop gatherings of over 100 people yet ignore the fact that schools often contain 100's and 1000's of kids, is just ludicrous.

Protecting jobs should never come before protecting lives.

Polio was far more of a nightmare when it came to recovery. And it wasn't mostly the elderly who had lived full lives.
It was healthy young preteen kids who were happy and athletic one day, then confined to an iron lung for the rest of their lives.

ohhh but Coronavirus is the worst ever.

No doubt polio is an absolutely awful disease.
It's not relevant to the discussion about COVID, which is a developing pandemic virus.

What a moronic argument.

It's not like there's people over a certain age who'd still attend those games as commentators, coaches or doctors who could genuinely die as a result. Travis Boak with his asthma could be genuinely f’ed if he gets infected and he's not exactly unfit is he? And I'm sure there's a lot of other players in the league with asthma, diabetes and other things that could see coronavirus ruin their lives if they get infected.

Travis Boak has the right not to play.

People need to understand in crisis the best form of defence might be attack.

I think we need to move on and fight through this. If people want special treatment, fine no one is stopping you going out and seeking it!!

This is the most ridiculous conversation I think Ive been involved in on BigFooty. Without a doubt.
Next trade period come take a look at the Richmond board trade thread... mr Magic’s ideas are pretty amazing and he’s somewhat of a legend around that time of year

Any plan should have measurable outcomes

Otherwise it is just hope

Building immunity whilst protecting the vulnerable should be the goal. Even if it loses votes.

Flattening the curve through various measures including social distancing and hygiene is a measurable outcome.

I think its spot on, if people want to live to 130 years, ban smokes, drinks, eat fish and do whatever the long livers do. I think if you want to live long you should not be in a big city anyway
No - you saying if people die, they die - they've just drawn the short straw. Or they've had a good run.

Clearly you have no understanding of the issues an event like this causes on the health system - not just the elderly or those vulnerable to the virus - but down the line as well.

Distributes 250 mill a year, in a normal year, where the clubs turnover 350 mill in tickets, membership and corporates.

If you think 250 mill is keeping the clubs afloat this year, your in fantasy land.

If the season is totally disrupted, league and the clubs are going to have to find, or save 400 - 600 mill.

Bye bye NEAFL, pathway programs, community support, probably a couple of clubs, big chunks of backroom staff.

I don't see why people don't get this, they cannot shut shop for 4 months, then open the door, roll out the carpet and resume normal operations afterwards.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Found this useful in explaining how perilous this is for the codes...

1584509314931.png

There's perhaps 3 tiers of people as I see it ...

1) Those who gradually went about preparing back in February

2) Those who panicked in the last couple of weeks and emptied supermarket shelves

3) Those calling others "doomsday morons" who are still ill-prepared for a 14 day quarantine period.

To me, the only people who did the smart thing are those in tier 1).

Not understanding that is why you're presently causing/experiencing the unfolding s**t show.

The PM today made it very clear that we DO NOT have a a shortage of goods in this country. People will be able to get whatever they need whenever they need it - as long as morons stop bulk buying. I love the fact that Coles and Woolies have issued a statement saying that no goods can be returned. Means alot of 'well prepared people' will be eating pasta and frozen goods for a long time. I'm hoping the Doomsdayers will soon run out of storage to stock up so shopping can go back to normal.

No - you saying if people die, they die - they've just drawn the short straw. Or they've had a good run.

Clearly you have no understanding of the issues an event like this causes on the health system - not just the elderly or those vulnerable to the virus - but down the line as well.

Na in Italy they are deciding who dies via triage on the death bed at the moment with Corona, age would be a part of the decision making process, tough but part of life.

Its part of the process.

Everyone can't get a free lunch, life does not work that way.

When you walk through the Sahara the Cobra does not kiss you on the cheek and give you a cuddle!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are heading the way of Italy etc and won’t be allowed to head out without a permit.

We are only conservatively 30,500 cases fewer but yep we are near Italy....

Hysteria is going over the top. It’s 6 months maybe 12 of bad times that’s it.

I actually was thinking that is virus was more lethal (ie it killed everyone infected) would we see mass fleeing from the cities?
Mate, if the virus killed everyone infected we would see a state of anarchy and chaos and the collapse of global society as people board up like fortresses and kill each other for essential supplies.

Just want to say that with the suspension of all soccer leagues in Europe a lot of clubs will probably go into a financial blackhole without matchday income and whatnot, not to mention the many, many people who'll probably lose their jobs, and just about every league in Europe still said yes to suspending their seasons. The club I support play in the third division in England and most clubs (who are fully professional btw) in the lower leagues in England do genuinely believe they may very well go bust ala Bury and Bolton if no football is played but still support the decisions the EFL and FA have made.

How people try and use the "my club will die without money" pitch to justify keeping the season around is beyond me. My club is one of the most financially vulnerable clubs in the league and I'd rather no football with this hovering over our heads.

Alot of us need football at this time. I dont understand why people are making this debate so black and white. Either footballers play and they are greedy pricks, Gill is a prick, and they dont give a s**t about anyone's health, completely ignoring the economic side of things that could completely destroy some people's lives.

With the correct protocols in place, I dont see why we cant have our footy. The players are already training with each other and on flights. There isnt much difference.

Alot of us need football at this time. I dont understand why people are making this debate so black and white. Either footballers play and they are greedy pricks, Gill is a prick, and they dont give a s**t about anyone's health, completely ignoring the economic side of things that could completely destroy some people's lives.

With the correct protocols in place, I dont see why we cant have our footy. The players are already training with each other and on flights. There isnt much difference.

Agree, full steam ahead, 22 games, which bookmakers would love versus 17 games

Na in Italy they are deciding who dies via triage on the death bed at the moment with Corona, age would be a part of the decision making process, tough but part of life.

Its part of the process.

Everyone can't get a free lunch, life does not work that way.

When you walk through the Sahara the Cobra does not kiss you on the cheek and give you a cuddle!!
No whats part of the process is that everyone is entitled to/deserving of/have access to health care. Its 2020 - we should never be in a position to turn away people from treatment according to their age or whether they have an existing medical position.

That is absolutely not part of the process. The system has failed if that ever occurs.

Travis Boak has the right not to play.

People need to understand in crisis the best form of defence might be attack.

I think we need to move on and fight through this. If people want special treatment, fine no one is stopping you going out and seeking it!!

Anthony Stevens had glass shred his face and was in a genuine life or death situation because of it and was told to retire. He played on for years after that.

Jason McCartney almost died because of the Bali Bombings and he was told to retire and he still played one more game.

I honestly don't see many (if any) footballers, especially players like Boak, who'd put their hand up and say "no worries mate I'll skip the season". It's a decision Gill should be the one to make. We can live without footy for a year and the AFL is the one sporting institution in Australia who could weather the financial shithole it'd make but so be it, safety for all involved is 1000% more important.

Exactly. The bigger risk was and is to the broader population - and with no crowds that goes away. Sure there is some risk, but there is no group less likely to get it than super fit professional athletes.

No whats part of the process is that everyone is entitled to/deserving of/have access to health care. Its 2020 - we should never be in a position to turn away people from treatment according to their age or whether they have an existing medical position.

That is absolutely not part of the process. The system has failed if that ever occurs.

playing AFL does not stop people accessing healthcare, what am I missing??

I actually was thinking that is virus was more lethal (ie it killed everyone infected) would we see mass fleeing from the cities?

Yep. Have you ever read A Journal of the Plague Years by Daniel Defoe about the Black Death in London? Based on his uncle's journals, it told of the rich fleeing the cities, people spreading rumours (fake news) and others not listening to health advice. Good to see that 400 years later, we're still as dumb as ever.

Anthony Stevens had glass shred his face and was in a genuine life or death situation because of it and was told to retire. He played on for years after that.

Jason McCartney almost died because of the Bali Bombings and he was told to retire and he still played one more game.

I honestly don't see many (if any) footballers, especially players like Boak, who'd put their hand up and say "no worries mate I'll skip the season". It's a decision Gill should be the one to make. We can live without footy for a year and the AFL is the one sporting institution in Australia who could weather the financial shithole it'd make but so be it, safety for all involved is 1000% more important.

What am I missing, Boak can make his choice either way?? Boak can either play some games and not others if it suits him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back