Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 4

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Am I the only one who thinks the timing of the opening up is a slap in the face for Victorians?

The Grand Final was on Saturday. Things to reopen on Wednesday.

Would reopening, or at the very least letting people have their friends over to watch the game, have caused an outbreak?

Four days, really?

The biggest day on the sporting calendar for Victorians was wrecked and four days later things can reopen?

They're taking the piss at this point.
Yep, you’re the only one.

Bicko

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
Staying apart keeps us together
1603704901474.gif

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Am I the only one who thinks the timing of the opening up is a slap in the face for Victorians?

Would reopening, or at the very least letting people have their friends over to watch the game, have caused an outbreak?

Four days, really?

The biggest day on the sporting calendar for Victorians was wrecked and four days later things can reopen?

Given the northern suburbs outbreak its a good call. Yesterday wasn’t even the day, with an extra 2.5k negative tests in that area confidence can climb. A more normal GF day would’ve been huge but waiting a few days could mean we can actually go to the Boxing Day test, which would be amazing.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
waiting a few days could mean we can actually go to the Boxing Day test, which would be amazing.
So you're happy to forego grand final day with your friends, in order to possibly maybe get to go the boxing day test.

Which is all the more absurd given that there is literally zero evidence to suggest that the extra four days wait made any difference.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
So you're happy to forego grand final day with your friends, in order to possibly maybe get to go the boxing day test.

Which is all the more absurd given that there is literally zero evidence to suggest that the extra four days wait made any difference.
It’s only clear now that there’s zero evidence to suggest an extra four days would help us. That’s why lockdown is ending. Before today’s results it was entirely possible that there was more hidden transmission in the northern suburbs. Now it’s much less likely.

Sitting here today, there’s no reason to suggest I shouldn’t have gotten a premiership tattoo on Saturday morning. We won, nothing would’ve gone wrong.

That is obviously flawed logic. We didn’t know that on Saturday morning.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

And if everybody went to gf parties, and today there was 5 positives of unknown origin, you would put your hand up for another month or 2 of lockdown?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And if everybody went to gf parties, and today there was 5 positives of unknown origin, you would put your hand up for another month or 2 of lockdown?
I haven't put my hand up for any of the lockdowns. They are ridiculous.

I can see why people on the dole and people who don't go out much support the lockdowns, they are kinda benefiting from them.

But how anybody with a normal job and normal social life can still support this madness is beyond me.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Personally tattoos are not for me. That doesn’t make it a false equivalence at all.

It is 100% a false equivalence.

You don’t make a decision based on data you don’t have.

So they didn't have enough data after 100 days of lockdown, they needed and extra four days.

Is that what you're claiming? Is that what you believe?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

Four days, really?

Settle down Mouncey. If missing your HF BBQ is the big deal for you, and that is your real concern, then you are in a class of people that can afford a restriction. These restrictions are aimed at making sure others can go to a few more events like this in later years. Chin up - I’ll buy you a beer once it’s over

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

So they didn't have enough data after 100 days of lockdown, they needed and extra four days.

It’s not what I believe, it’s what the science says. The trend over the last 100 days or however long is not relevant to restrictions easing. It’s where we are now. It’s the level of confidence we have that cases are actually at a level we can keep under control with contact tracing. Given the way coronavirus spreads through asymptomatic cases and can take a week or more after exposure to actually show up, it would be negligent to not wait for those results in clearly high risk area. And its ended up fine, we probably could’ve have sole gatherings on GF day and it would’ve been fantastic. But we couldn’t be certain on it at the time. It’s akin to getting a premiership tattoo because you’re pretty sure you’re going to win. Might work, gives you a good story if it does, but it’s an absolute disaster if it goes wrong.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

Your using the data available today to determine what someone should have decided on Friday. But the decision on Friday was made on the available data on Friday.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
These restrictions are aimed at making sure others can go to a few more events like this in later years.
Just like the first lockdown was aimed at having things open by Easter. How'd that work out?

You've just lost almost a year of your life to restrictions supposedly to stop a virus no more deadly than a strong flu.

And it isn't even over yet. Another surge in 'case numbers' and you're back inside your kennel like a pet dog.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
What did the science say about having a horse race with over 1,000 people present?
A one off horse race with 1000 people scattered around a whole horse racing track with all patrons accounted for?
Probably lower risk than tens of thousands of unaccounted home visits on grand final day.
Glad they ditched that though.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

THEY DIDN'T KNOW!!!!
I realise that you are any a pretty good position to say , "yeah just risk it all , i wanna watch the footy with my best mate "
But those who are having to be more than accountable for their decisions , aren't playing roulette.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I haven't put my hand up for any of the lockdowns. They are ridiculous.

I can see why people on the dole and people who don't go out much support the lockdowns, they are kinda benefiting from them.

But how anybody with a normal job and normal social life can still support this madness is beyond me.

Because the alternatives are worse, and unlike those in the USA , we DIDN'T vote for a madman, or for you.
Actually i didn't vote for Andrew's either, but his actions have not been madness. Possibly some lapses in competence.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

They didn't have ANY data about home many people had been infected with Covid19 that they didn't know about.
If they knew about it , they weren't in that category.
A few days later they found out.

I suggest you take your beliefs and drive to some part of this flat earth that makes you happier.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A one off horse race with 1000 people scattered around a whole horse racing track with all patrons accounted for?
Probably lower risk than tens of thousands of unaccounted home visits on grand final day.
Glad they ditched that though.
I asked what did the science say, and the truth of the matter is you have nfi, but will defend the government anyway.

Back